Will the new Google DNS speed up online gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Knightbringr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Knightbringr
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

I'm not sure if this would matter or not, but I'm curious is the new Google DNS would speed up online gaming? Does anyone know?

This is a quote taken from a different article that was written on DNS and online gaming.

When DNS servers are running slow or when they drop queries, people experience Web pages loading slower, delays in sending and receiving e-mails, and poor response times when they're trying to play interactive video games.

It seems like it would but would anyone here know? I'm tired of the "micro-lag" of MW2.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

if it's streamlining the movement of our data, then yeah, it should help to create less lag all around.

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
Possibly if it was ever used by Microsoft, but why do you think Google will be incorporated into Xbox Live? O_o Especially with Microsoft's new Bing service trying to rival Google and all...
Knightbringr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Knightbringr
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts
Possibly if it was ever used by Microsoft, but why do you think Google will be incorporated into Xbox Live? O_o Especially with Microsoft's new Bing service trying to rival Google and all...Hotwire246
DNS is one of the basic fundamental components of how devices communicate over the internet whether it be a cell phone, computer, or video game console... It has nothing to do with the Google or Bing search engines. Think of the old days when women would work at the switchboard and connect callers. DNS is one of these women. By default your ISP provides a DNS service. If you have a woman who is faster at switching than another (ala Google DNS) then theoretically it seems like your packet/data transfer would be faster. I was wondering if anyone who plays online video games on this site would have anymore insight into the matter. Basically to sum it up... if you get on the internet with ANYTHING you use DNS, but that DNS is provided by you ISP provider unless you specifically designate another one like OpenDNS or Google DNS. I just wonder if it would have an impact on online gaming or not.
gdogghenrikson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 gdogghenrikson
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts

it probibly wont matter either way