When a game becomes a chore rather than entertainment

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gmoneybball91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gmoneybball91
Member since 2008 • 365 Posts

Have any of you ever played a game where after awhile playing it, it wasn't even fun anymore and you almost felt an obligation to beat it? Whether it was for achievements or just a tough game you wanted to beat, many times I find myself not even having fun with the "game" and just painfully trying to finish it for whatever reason. I know I'm kinda venting here but someone make me feel like I'm not crazy here lol. It's fun at first but after awhile you don't even realize that you're not having any fun what so ever and it actually makes you angry. Maybe it's just OCD but I have a feeling I'm not the only one that feels games are'nt always fun.

xsfseal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 xsfseal
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts

If you aren't having anymore fun then why would you continue to play. Especially for something meaningless like achievements. If you feel compelled to beat it then something must be attracting you to want to see the ending. Though it sounds like you need to branch out of your genre and find a game that is nothing like all the ones you normally play; mix it up a bit

DesiGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DesiGhost
Member since 2010 • 371 Posts

Soul Calibur IV is exactly like that.

kid205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kid205
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts

If a game starts becoming un-fun, I stop playing.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

That happened with Prototype. I made it to the end boss and I just can't play it anymore. I will eventually beat it but only when I am in the mood.

Twizlerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Twizlerr
Member since 2010 • 109 Posts
This happened to me with Mass Effect 2. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but for some reason it felt repetitive and I stopped. It might have been replaced by a new game that came out, I can't remember. Also, Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot anyone? Haha. Now that's a chore.
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I hate to say it but after 20 hours of Red Dead Redemption... it became a chore.
Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
Borderlands,definitely.
ZeroDRiFT_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZeroDRiFT_x
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Well isn't almots every game like that? That's why you stop playing it.

Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

If you aren't having anymore fun then why would you continue to play. Especially for something meaningless like achievements. If you feel compelled to beat it then something must be attracting you to want to see the ending. Though it sounds like you need to branch out of your genre and find a game that is nothing like all the ones you normally play; mix it up a bit

xsfseal
Yeah pretty much....except for the acheivement part.There not the whole world to me but I do like getting them just for the sake of replayability, satisfaction and just getting them in general.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts

Yes, a lot. Everyone cries for a 40+ hour game, but really everything starts losing my attention after about 20. Red Dead was the first game in a very long time to keep me thrilled the entire way through. It seems I'm fine up to a point them I'm just like "God let this be over soon I wanna see the ending". I think it's because a lot of games have good, short stories, that you want to see through but there isn't enough material there and the middle of the game suffers and drones on and on.

As for the achiements, yeah I am guilty of that. I am playing a WWE game lol. I actually somewhat enjoy the game mechanics, mixed with there being nothing else I feel the need to play right now besides Dante's Inferno. So I'm playing it for some small enjoyment and achievements when I am burned out on Inferno, and there is nothing else going on in my life that I would rather do. But it does resemble a chore.

On the other end of that, I own about 160 360 games, and my Gamerscore is only 77k. So I'm sporting about a 50% ratio which shows I'm not afraid to shelf a game if it really sucks to me. Over G Fighters... Turning Point Fall of Liberty... Yeah I'd rather do some real chores like scrub the toilet.

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I am currently playing Crackdown 2 and the further I play the more I dislike it.There are some achievements that aren't hard and I normally would get but I am at the stage where I have nearly had enough.They have made no improvements over the previous game and it has become a tedious chore to finish.Very disappointed because I was expecting much more.To make it worse it is the same city as the first game...what a joke.

Avatar image for hardcoregamer92
hardcoregamer92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardcoregamer92
Member since 2006 • 1124 Posts

Two general statements here:

1. Achievements have ruined much of the industry in the sense that developers make worse games because of them. (a lot of the time, you CANNOT deny this) And the worst part is not many people realize this.

2. Many developers are market-oriented (I mean, no surprise since the goal of making a game to them is making money...). The major problem with this is that developers want to make their games have very mainstream appeal, so they copy what is popular. This is NOT good, and this did not start in the gaming industry. Let's face it: if things keep going this way, EVERY developer's games (with the exception of Valve, Bethesda, Capcom, and maybe a couple others) will have a perk system or class setups. A lot of games are trying to copy the **** that is MW2.

A real shame.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
I can deny this. Bad games have been around since the Odyssey and will continue to be made with or without achievements. More solid games come out per year now than ever before. Have you ever looked at the PS2 library? There are some amazing games, and there are LOADS more of crap. What you mean to say is that achievements help to sell bad games. I will admit that Avatar: The Burning Earth would have sold 3 copies in the US if not for the notorious 1k gamerscore. However... Avatar The Burning Earth is also made for PS2, DS, and GBA, obviously sporting no achievements.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="Twizlerr"]This happened to me with Mass Effect 2. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but for some reason it felt repetitive and I stopped. It might have been replaced by a new game that came out, I can't remember. Also, Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot anyone? Haha. Now that's a chore.

double agree, i finished ME1 like 4 times, struggling to get through my second on ME2
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Too Human. Talk about repetitive. Assassin's Creed 1.
Debus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Debus42
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts

Final Fantasy XII was a chore to me. 120 hours of my life later, and I didn't really have anything to show for it. It was dull, and I only completed it because I was blissfully ignorant to the fact that the game was in fact not going to improve. I was living in hope that it would, because i'm a big Final Fantasy fan, but it was just the most painful 120 hours of my life.

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
Borderlands,definitely.AtomicBaconBits
No friends must be bad. Prototype for me also.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

If a game gets boring or becomes lackluster, I just stop playing it. I'm not going to force myself to play something I don't enjoy anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

I play games for fun.

I even stopped playing some games after the second level because they were boring.

Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

That happened to me a lot last gen. This gen I am much more cautious as to what games I buy.

sillyseaotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 sillyseaotter
Member since 2009 • 179 Posts

YUP!!! borderlands, ninja gaiden 2, and grand theft auro 4 were all like this for me

Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
Oblivion was like that for me.
IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

I didn't enjoy Bayonetta all that much. I felt like I was doing the same things over and over, but I didn't mind it so much in DMC4 for some reason. I beat the game because I like to finish things, and then mailed it back to Gamefly.

I know people will scream at me for saying this, but I just played Chrono Trigger recently, and felt the exact same way. I made it to the final boss without finishing it, but just looked up the ending on Youtube to see if it'd be worth doing, and then was thankful for not wasting a few hours trying to conk him out.

Da_Banker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Da_Banker
Member since 2006 • 220 Posts

haha I love mass effect 1 to death but after 8 playthroughs to get all achievements i still love the game...... and Red dead Redemption is taking forever for 100% but i still like it otherwise i wouldnt be playing them

Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
Your not alone, and your not crazy. Their was a few games i didn't wanna finish half way though. As a gamer, i felt i needed to finish it to take it all in. After you beat the game you'll appreciate it a lot more. But man Infinite Undiscovery and Dead Space i had the hardest time finishing... not sure why.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
Oblivion was like that for me.CongressManStan
I'm sad to hear that since its my favorite game. But i can see its not for everyone.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Oh yeah I completely forgot about Oblivion wow were those Oblivion gates boring.. I stopped playing it after that and finishing most of the stuff I wanted to. Too bad I had to try and find those stupid flowers because of the Mages guild punishment. Trying to find those flowers became such a chose that I just stopped caring.

iTaiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 iTaiwan
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Bad Company 2 MULTIPLAYER (single player was a blast) its only fun until you unlock all the guns, then it just feels like a chore, I mean whats the point of playing after you unlock EVERYTHING
MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
The Saboteur and Mirror's Edge sound a lot like what you are talking about to me. Also those are definitely not the only 2 games where that happened to me.
MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
Your not alone, and your not crazy. Their was a few games i didn't wanna finish half way though. As a gamer, i felt i needed to finish it to take it all in. After you beat the game you'll appreciate it a lot more. But man Infinite Undiscovery and Dead Space i had the hardest time finishing... not sure why.Kokuro_Kun
I know why you had trouble finishing Infinite Undiscovery. It sucked! I got up to that part where there are a bunch of hallways and if you die you go back to the begininng. It came just after using the cannons to shoot at that castle. That game sucked.
RobBourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RobBourne
Member since 2010 • 161 Posts

If a game starts becoming un-fun, I stop playing.

kid205

This.

I either take a break or I'll just stop playing it. I used to be a completionist so I would try to do everything in each game I played, but it's not even worth it now.

PrettySlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PrettySlick
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts

Assassin's Creed 1. Number two was a huge improvement.

Avatar image for CerebralFatalis
CerebralFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CerebralFatalis
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts
Its the new generation kids. Back then when you were playing mario (or at least those of us who are old enough to remember) or zelda you could play them over and over and never get bored. People called you a nerd or geek for playing games but the only reason they didn't play them was because they didn't look that great. Now you got games that have killer graphics but poor gameplay and no replay ability. This is because they know people will get all excited over a cool looking game but have no idea how poor the gameplay is until when....you guessed it....you already bought it. Just like when you were a young ling and you seen that cool looking toy on TV what did you say? MOMMY I WANT THAT! You got it and it broke within a few days or sat on the floor after the first week. They know they can scam you like this because it has worked for years. Make something look good and the kids will scream for it. Make it too hard to play and they will cry for nerfs.
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
Yea I've experienced what you mentioned b/c I'm a completionist. Most notably with forza 3. I'm not going to stop now b/c I'm 93% complete w/ 2 achievements left. The game that I ALWAYS have fun with no matter if I'm going after a completion stat or just playing with friends is Halo 3 and I'm sure Halo Reach will be no different from just playing the beta and firefight w/ matchmaking.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I played WoW for 5 years. Raiding became a chore and work quickl but for some reason I still couldnt stop till my gf made me lol
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Nope. The only time that happens is when I am trying to get the next checkpoint or save, which in this case, would be annoyingly hard to get when I want to turn it off. But that's the only time.
Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Urban_Flow

Two general statements here:

1. Achievements have ruined much of the industry in the sense that developers make worse games because of them. (a lot of the time, you CANNOT deny this) And the worst part is not many people realize this.

2. Many developers are market-oriented (I mean, no surprise since the goal of making a game to them is making money...). The major problem with this is that developers want to make their games have very mainstream appeal, so they copy what is popular. This is NOT good, and this did not start in the gaming industry. Let's face it: if things keep going this way, EVERY developer's games (with the exception of Valve, Bethesda, Capcom, and maybe a couple others) will have a perk system or class setups. A lot of games are trying to copy the **** that is MW2.

A real shame.

hardcoregamer92

I completely disagree with No. 1.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

The Saboteur is becoming a chore for me right now, because I was stupid enough to leave ALL of the ambient freeplay events untouched until after i beat all of the missions... ugghhhh. Now i'm trying to complete all of them to get the 1000G and it's the biggest chore I've ever experienced out of a game. I can't even barely bring myself to do it anymore.

Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Urban_Flow

The Saboteur is becoming a chore for me right now, because I was stupid enough to leave ALL of the ambient freeplay events untouched until after i beat all of the missions... ugghhhh. Now i'm trying to complete all of them to get the 1000G and it's the biggest chore I've ever experienced out of a game. I can't even barely bring myself to do it anymore.

destinhpark
I made that same mistake as well
narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

GTA4 and assassin creed 1

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts
Haha I suck at video games so any hard game is iike that for me.
hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

gta iv and red dead

Duke_51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Duke_51
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

I guess I'm the opposite. I have an OCD of finishing a game too quickly, so I try to draw it out for as long as I can before I beat it. By the time I finished Red Dead I had put 50+ hours into it. After beating a game I usually put it down for a few months, and eventually get around to playing through it again.

Mr-Gingersnaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mr-Gingersnaps
Member since 2007 • 578 Posts

GTA IV (still have yet to finish it)

and red dead are the biggest stand outs to me... which is funny because i put over 2 days of gameplay on bully... (which is rockstar as well)

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#46 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

I've been kinda forcing myself to play Battlefield 1943 so I can get that last achievement. I forced myself to get all the achievements in Modern Warfare 2. They're both fun games I just don't like to play them that frequently. Especially Modern Warfare. I could go the rest of my life without ever playing it again.

Katzenbalger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Katzenbalger
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts

GTA 4 and Assassin's Creed 2.

GTA4 was just a giant bore to me, but i wanted to persevere and at least finish it. I got halfway before things got to me, and i didn;t touch it for a month. Then i put on all the cheats and breezed through and sold it. It's funny, since it was the opposite with Red Dead Redemption, i enjoyed that from beginning to end.

Assassin's Creed 2 was a marked improvement over the first one, but the more i played the less interested i became. I ended up taking week long breaks from it, even when i was at the end game.

I tend to find open world games more tedious than linear games.

Mrbojangles34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 Mrbojangles34
Member since 2006 • 8918 Posts
Borderlands and Prototype. Both got so boring. 2 of the only trade ins I've ever done.
hitterofpeople

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hitterofpeople
Member since 2008 • 265 Posts
Far Cry 2 was like that, I only finished it for the sake of it...and Dead Space until I got to the end, then it was brilliant. It was like that with Red Dead too with the multiplayer, it's awful and I didn't even get to level 50 because of it.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#50 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Have any of you ever played a game where after awhile playing it, it wasn't even fun anymore and you almost felt an obligation to beat it? Whether it was for achievements or just a tough game you wanted to beat, many times I find myself not even having fun with the "game" and just painfully trying to finish it for whatever reason. I know I'm kinda venting here but someone make me feel like I'm not crazy here lol. It's fun at first but after awhile you don't even realize that you're not having any fun what so ever and it actually makes you angry. Maybe it's just OCD but I have a feeling I'm not the only one that feels games are'nt always fun.

gmoneybball91
How is that even considered OCD? I swear when ever people have a habbit of doing something they say its OCD.