What shooters are better than the Halo games?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ArcticFlame99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ArcticFlame99
Member since 2007 • 176 Posts

So i hear a lot of people saying that there are many shooters out there which are much better than the Halo series. So my question is--which games are better than the Halo games?(note: i am not trying to defend Halo or anything i'm just more of an rpg dude myself and i dont play very many shooters so i want to find some good ones) oh and please dont mention gears or war or half life i've played those--oh and console games only cause my computer nearly had a stroke with battlefield 2142--much thanks

thegreat_one3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thegreat_one3
Member since 2004 • 623 Posts
gears is nice with the cover system. same with vegas. shadow run also is a change. counterstrike was always better on the pc. unreal is also better. i find halo to be the most typical shooter out there.
Brickz187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Brickz187
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts
go to any game store look at the shelf and pick up any FPSyou see...it will def. be better then halo...haha joking im just waiting for the halo freaks 2 come n flame me...but fa real id say gears but obviously u dont think so...so my opinon means nothing to you
Warlock89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Warlock89
Member since 2005 • 2200 Posts
I think Halo 2 is so popular, is because it IS a Tipical Shooter. It can apeal to more than just hardcore FPS fans, or soft core FPS. Unreal Tournament is the king of FPS, it's gameplay is built on accuracy, tactics, and skill. Nothing will ever surpass it.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
It's all a matter of opinion. And regardless how you personally feel about it, you have to admit that few (if any) FPS series have as large and rabid a following as Halo. For whatever the reason it's just one of those games that just overshadows everything else that gets close to it (ex Shadowrun and the Halo 3 beta)
caleb5050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 caleb5050
Member since 2006 • 1298 Posts
^^ Agreed it's all on opinion in my opinion Every Shooter is better then the halo Series
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

It all comes down to taste, but I personally enjoy tons of other shooters more then Halo, such as:

Far Cry, Gears of War, Rainbow Six, Resistance, Unreal, Call of Duty, Battlefield and many more.

LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts

^^ Agreed it's all on opinion in my opinion Every Shooter is better then the halo Seriescaleb5050

ahhhhh blasphemy!!!! LOL...what about FEAR, FEAR wasnt better than Halo

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hashbrowns
Member since 2003 • 492 Posts

^^ Agreed it's all on opinion in my opinion Every Shooter is better then the halo Seriescaleb5050

Ah, I see. Every single shooter ever made is better than Halo, so Halo must be the absolute worst shooter ever made. There is no worse shooter out there than Halo, and no matter what other shooter you play it will be better than Halo. No exceptions. Daikatana is now breathing a sigh of relief.

There are educated opinions, and then there are opinions that have no apparent connection with reality.

Sushbag88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sushbag88
Member since 2005 • 403 Posts

There are a number of superior multiplayer shooters, especially on the PC platform. I don't know of any console shooters that are better, though, especially in regard to single player.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

[QUOTE="caleb5050"]^^ Agreed it's all on opinion in my opinion Every Shooter is better then the halo SeriesLessThanMike

FEAR on PC definitely is.

axes03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 axes03
Member since 2005 • 4454 Posts

call of duty (1,2 NOT 3!!!)are the ones that comeclosest. by the way cod4 LOOKS INSANE!!!!!!!!!! the graphics OMG!!!!! i havent been so blown away since i first saw gears. checkout the new gameplay footage

and the people who complain about halo are just bad at it, and gets owned by cursing 12 year olds and then go on forums complaining how bad it is, nothing on console can match halo's superiority, whether people admit it or not, 3 years and 2 systems later countless people still play halo2, theres a reason for that.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Yea for all console only lems, defitnaly use Halo for 'ownage' against rival console gamers.

No other game on any console has has as large online support (GeOW is bigger though), or as much sucess as an FPS... Exept metroid Prime.

Pc gamers do have the upperhand though. By quite a longshot.. But thats a different story eh.

__Imbaness__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 __Imbaness__
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

Personally i think halo is overrated, and i can assure you theres ALOT of better shooters then Halo.

For example we got Gears of War, that in my opinion just makes halo look like a pile of crap.

You also got Call of Duty, Half Life 2 (Even though its out of date, it totally owns halo).

Honestly i can't understand the fuzz about the halo series.

RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
Gears of War, Half Life, Unreael Tournament to name a few
Warlock89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Warlock89
Member since 2005 • 2200 Posts
[QUOTE="LessThanMike"]

[QUOTE="caleb5050"]^^ Agreed it's all on opinion in my opinion Every Shooter is better then the halo Seriesc0mplex

FEAR on PC definitely is.

Yeah, true. FEAR on xbox was ok, not great though. Same with Halo on PC, it's good, not great. Games are good on what ever system they originaly design controls/levels/etc for.
Avatar image for MasterAchilles5
MasterAchilles5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MasterAchilles5
Member since 2005 • 74 Posts
In my opinion no shooter is better than the Halo series. When it comes down to it some prefer a cover system such as that present in Gears of War and Rainbow Six. Some prefer incredibly accurate guns and high definition visuals that like like the real thing such as GRAW and Battlefield. Others prefer incredibly high speed shooters such as Unreal Tournament where if you blink you die. For me Halo offered an incredibly immersive science fiction setting that even though did not have amazing graphics made up for it through its incredible story. To me the only other title that matches its incredible plot is that of the Half Life series. The only thing that sets the two apart is that Halo offers one of the most incredible multiplayer experience ever while the other falls a little short compared to the caliber of its single player. Halo has characters that are more memorable than say those of Far Cry or UT. In my opinion its musical score far outclasses that of Rainbow Six and Gears (though it was good). Its mixture may not always be the best in every area but as a whole it tops all of the others.
the_animals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_animals
Member since 2004 • 329 Posts
but technically gears isn't a first person shooter its a 3rd person shooter. the only reason people say halo is bad is because they think its cool to say so. whenever things get very popular or famous people like to trash talk it.
Alpha172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 Alpha172
Member since 2007 • 1437 Posts
There's alot of shooters out there for XBOX360, some good some bad. It all depends what kind of shooter freak you are and which category it fits you. There's sci-fi, modern shooters etc. Personally I think you should try out the following that have been out for some time.
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Las Vegas
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Bioshock

Upcoming games that you should get along with Halo 3: Mass Effect, Clive Barker's Jericho

evilmudbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 evilmudbug
Member since 2007 • 189 Posts
yeah I agree with the guy above, Gears does not count because it is a 3rd person shooter. UT 2004 has been the best FPS i've ever played simply because of the massive amout of support that game has with maps, mods, game types, and content but it does not count either because its on the PC. I'm not really head over heals for halo but it's hard to think of anything better at the moment to beat it, halo has good single and multiplayer. I've had fun with Shadowrun but its kind of buggy and has no single player. All the halo fans can't wait for Halo 3 and that is going to be a huge FPS for the 360, I for one am bypassing that one for awhile to save money for UT 3 I just have a feeling its going to be more for me than halo 3.
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
i say for me nothing can beat halo
caleb5050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 caleb5050
Member since 2006 • 1298 Posts
Seriously I still dont find a shooting game worser then halo not doom not turok...nothing comes to mind
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

Seriously I still dont find a shooting game worser then halo not doom not turok...nothing comes to mindcaleb5050

try Resistance: Fall of Man.

sonofabear17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sonofabear17
Member since 2006 • 1941 Posts
Well Halo is my favorite shooter. And youve already played HL2 and Gears so...The Darkness(i havent played it but ive heard good thing) and the Unreal games are pretty good. Besides that Lost planet Graw 1,and 2,R6V,Fear,and Shadowrun is what i can think of.
sonofabear17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sonofabear17
Member since 2006 • 1941 Posts
but technically gears isn't a first person shooter its a 3rd person shooter. the only reason people say halo is bad is because they think its cool to say so. whenever things get very popular or famous people like to trash talk it.the_animals
haha yeah i agree with you there
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Seriously I still dont find a shooting game worser then halo not doom not turok...nothing comes to mindcaleb5050
Someone hasnt played Killzone, or one of these highly rated shooters:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/operativenoonelivesforever/index.html

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/fugitivehunter/index.html

newmanmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 newmanmaster
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts

[QUOTE="caleb5050"]Seriously I still dont find a shooting game worser then halo not doom not turok...nothing comes to mindlimpbizkit818

Someone hasnt played Killzone, or one of these highly rated shooters:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/operativenoonelivesforever/index.html

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/fugitivehunter/index.html

BUT KILLZONE 2 WILL BE POWERED BY THE CELL!!!!
format_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 format_kid
Member since 2005 • 3527 Posts
In my opinion Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, andf Battlefield. Not that I don't like Halo, but tactical games are my favorite.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
in my opinion i enjoyed the original rainbow six 3 on the xbox more than halo 2. But halo 2 is a close 2nd. Im not a fan of rainbow six vegas.
shroomario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 shroomario
Member since 2006 • 409 Posts
unreal tourtment
Heistenfaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Heistenfaust
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts
The only other shooter that can equal Halo is Half Life 2.
TarnishedSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TarnishedSoul
Member since 2002 • 12151 Posts
Call of Duty 2 & 3 and Gears.
dttk0009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dttk0009
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts
Halo is probably the most bland FPS you'll come across. Start with Doom and work your way up.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I'm going to mention Half Life because I think it's the best FPS of all time, despite your request. On the 360? Shooters I'd play before I played Halo would be: Rainbow Six Vegas, Crackdown, Call of Duty 2/3, Lost Planet, and others. On the PC, there are too many to list. Halo is average as far as I'm concerned. (A lesser unreal imo) But that's just me.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

gears is nice with the cover system. same with vegas. shadow run also is a change. counterstrike was always better on the pc. unreal is also better. i find halo to be the most typical shooter out there.thegreat_one3

Agreed, but I'll add Lost Planet and Area 51 Blacksite by the demo it seemed very good but it wont be out for a couple of months.

GungraveZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GungraveZero
Member since 2004 • 2791 Posts
Unreal is hands down my favorite shooter. I owned UC for Xbox and I currently own Unreal II, UT2k4, and UCII. I will be picking up UT3 when it comes out later this year too. I find the Unreal series to have unrivaled multiplayer due to the uniqueness of each map, weapons, and just frantic action. Also, it can prove to have a lot of depth if you're playing in a MP match with a good team. So, I'd say give the Unreal Series a try.:D
w4rgasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#38 w4rgasm
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts
anything > halo ;-)
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
i didn't really like killzone
GungraveZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GungraveZero
Member since 2004 • 2791 Posts
[QUOTE="__Imbaness__"]

Personally i think halo is overrated, and i can assure you theres ALOT of better shooters then Halo.

For example we got Gears of War, that in my opinion just makes halo look like a pile of crap.

You also got Call of Duty, Half Life 2 (Even though its out of date, it totally owns halo).

blaster_chief

your just saying that because your too poor to afford a game as sweet as halo. people like you only exist because your dad never hugged you

That's kind of uncalled for....

Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Joshy485
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts
but technically gears isn't a first person shooter its a 3rd person shooter. the only reason people say halo is bad is because they think its cool to say so. whenever things get very popular or famous people like to trash talk it.the_animals
no one said it had to be a FPS he just said it had to be a shooter
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
99.9% of the time most of these people who bad mouth halo are low average halo players who cant even keep the cursor in the middle of the screen..1% of the other people just dont belong in this country.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01
[QUOTE="blaster_chief"][QUOTE="__Imbaness__"]

GungraveZero

your just saying that because your too poor to afford a game as sweet as halo. people like you only exist because your dad never hugged you

That's kind of uncalled for....

Report that fool ;)
Drunken_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Drunken_Master
Member since 2002 • 183 Posts

ok well there seems to be some sort of confusion in this forum about shooters?!?! ok let me set the record straight, *Ahem* DOOM 3 is the best shooter out there period. I mean Cmon A portal to hell on Mars??? Demons taking over the space station? Blood guts explosions and awesome weapons/graphics/sound/setting... D-o-p-e. Oh and the heavy metal music is off the hook too. I had it on the old xbox, and it was ported well from the PC, ok ok , half-life, half-life is the only shooter that can compare, and maybe UT series...but as far as single player - shooters go, DOOM 3 is the best, I fell in love with that game ever since it came out, I got a 1200 dollar HDTV 360 - whateva, Doom 3 still looks and plays better than half the games on the 360, God i love Doom 3.

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 smarb001
Member since 2005 • 2325 Posts

None. Nothing is better than Halo. And if you disagree, your in denial.

Oh, and for the record, Gears is overrated. I played the single player though on each difficulty, chainsawed a few dozen people online, and I never touched that game again. Mega-boring and repetetive. Halo keeps me coming back.

(And yes, i know I gave it a high score in my review, but that was cuz I was blown away by the graphics and the chainsaw :P)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 skrat_01

None. Nothing is better than Halo. And if you disagree, your in denial.

Oh, and for the record, Gears is overrated. I played the single player though on each difficulty, chainsawed a few dozen people online, and I never touched that game again. Mega-boring and repetetive. Halo keeps me coming back.

(And yes, i know I gave it a high score in my review, but that was cuz I was blown away by the graphics and the chainsaw :P)

smarb001

There are loads of FPS games better than Halo.....

And im not in denial.. I have every Halo exept H2 on Vista...

__Imbaness__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 __Imbaness__

Oh i see, no im not saying that cause i can't afford it, i've played through the two games and i just think they totally suck, though thats just my opinion. (And i can't really understand why you had to bring my dad into the conversation, thats just proves how wrong you are).

And hey, theres actually legal to have your own opinions nowadays.

__Imbaness__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 __Imbaness__
[QUOTE="__Imbaness__"]

blaster_chief

Post over this is to that author.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#50 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

__Imbaness__

Not being a former Original Xbox owner, when I was thinking of getting an Xbox 360 most of what I heard when discussing whether or not I should get the console was Halo, Halo, Halo. So after I got my Xbox 360 I went and played a little of the Halo games & I agree I don't understand what the fuss is about. Yes they all are really great games, but not that overwelming.