Verizon FiOs does not work with Xbox Live!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maxned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxned
Member since 2007 • 623 Posts

i just don't get it. The "world's fastest wireless internet" does not work with xbox live on my 360. it works on my wii and my ds, but not on my 360.

Anyone have any information about this? Everything is setup perfectly fine, I have it setup exactly the way I did with my last internet service...

Any help would be very nice.

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
works fine on mine...
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
Thats false my friend cause a friend on my XBL friend list has fios and hosts games on it all the time.
lbhocky19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 lbhocky19
Member since 2003 • 1104 Posts

wrong!

it definetly works. i have it

the NAT was set to moderate but once you get in hte router and change the ip address to a set one ul be fine

google it and ul be straight

ranunculas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ranunculas
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I am having the same problem. We have called Microsoft and Verizon and when we test the connection it fails on the MTU test. We have updated the firmware, but still no one can help. Any suggestions? Did u get urs to work?

WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WillT12345
Member since 2004 • 3123 Posts
works fine on mine...zero9167
same here.
Screamteam411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Screamteam411
Member since 2003 • 1087 Posts
Heh I have it as well and it works. Live was very spotty on Christmas though, so that may be your problem. It's most likely not FiOS though.
WillT12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WillT12345
Member since 2004 • 3123 Posts

i just don't get it. The "world's fastest wireless internet" does not work with xbox live on my 360. it works on my wii and my ds, but not on my 360.

Anyone have any information about this? Everything is setup perfectly fine, I have it setup exactly the way I did with my last internet service...

Maxned
HOLD ON A SEC. You said Fios in the topic. You do mean Fios, right? Not the the 'world's fastest wireless internet" (verizon wirless broadband). I can't imagine your using Verizon Wirless broadband for online play though cause I think it costs by the minute and isn't fast at all. Either way two totally seperat things. Fios comes in off the phone lines on an optical cable and if you want to really see the profomance should be using a wired connection aswell.
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts
[QUOTE="Maxned"]

WillT12345

HOLD ON A SEC. You said Fios in the topic. You do mean Fios, right? Not the the 'world's fastest wireless internet" (verizon wirless broadband). Two totally seperat things. Fios comes in off the phone lines on an optical cable and if you want to really see the profomance should be using a wired connection aswell.

Verizon does have the faster internet in the USA for the general public so the statement is TRUE for 99% of americans...

And you have to set your NAT to open contact Verizon or whatever companyyou have you wireless/direct contact modem into...linksys etc for wireless

ranunculas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ranunculas

OK, so I am the novice mom trying to help my son.... he had his 360 live working when we had verizon dsl. We changed to Verizon FiOs and now he can not connect to 360 Live! Should I interpret your reply to understand that he should not be playing 360Live via Verizon FiOs wirelessly? It worked wirelessly when we had Verizon DSL. The only difference is 1) FiOs vs DSL and 2) the router.... FiOs uses an Actiontec router and DSL used Linksys. The 'MTU' test keeps failing. We have been trying to get this to work for two months, so you can imagine my son is not a happy camper.

Thanks!

ImajinMyFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ImajinMyFX
Member since 2006 • 564 Posts
you have to enter the settings manually.
jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jbz7890
Member since 2004 • 786 Posts

you have to enter the settings manually. ImajinMyFX

For me it was just the opposite. When i switched to fios, xbox live didnt work because i had the setting set to manual. When i switched to automatic it worked perfectly fine.

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
I don't have Fios but I have to change my settings becuase it's set to stirct and my friends can't connect to me when I send an invite.
ranunculas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ranunculas

we have tried entering our dns settings both manually and automatically. both ways the wireless network shows connected, the ip address and dns both show confirmed when you text xbox live connection. but still the mtu test fails. one of the posts says to set NAT to Open, but we never get to the NAT test.

any other thoughts?

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts
Works great on mine, and has since it was installed almost a year ago.
MoldyCone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MoldyCone
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
now i'm having this mtu problem with Verizion Fios it had been working fine
LunkerHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LunkerHead
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I am thinking of having Fios installed as well. I read that the reason that Verizon wants you to use THEIR wireless router that they supply is because theirs has software installed on it that helps them to troubleshoot and diagnose Internet problems remotely from their end.

http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm :

"I understand that some users disconnect the D-Link router (and save it -- it comes bundled with the installation) and connect their own router. For example, some people have Linksys units with wireless that they find to have stronger signals in their homes than the D-Link. Apparently using other routers (connecting using PPPoE) works. However, as I understand it, that practice is not officially supported by Verizon which claims to use special diagnostic software in the routers. (From their FAQ: "Your router also contains special diagnostic software that can help us trouble-shoot and correct problems should you experience trouble with your Internet Service. You will need to use the Verizon router with your FiOS Internet service.")
-Dan Bricklin, 15 September 2005"

Since this is the case, you people that are having trouble with your Live service since the new Fios install can simply unplug the wireless router that Verizon provided and plug in your old Linksys (or whatever) that you already had set up and working fine. You should be good to go. If you have Internet connection problems after that, you could plug the Verizon router back in to allow them to help you trouble-shoot your connection.

jaminator45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jaminator45
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts
use the DMZ feature of the router. Put the xbox in the DMZ with a static IP address and all of your problems will go away.
Mikee3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Mikee3
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts
i have fios and my 360 is working fine....
daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
Holy Thread Bump Batman!
suetracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 suetracy
Member since 2003 • 939 Posts
ive got fios and im having trouble with the ip/dns. What is the DMZ feature and how do i turn it on? and how do i turn my ip address to static. thankx
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I don't think anybody else in this thread noticed, but the MTU test is checking the MTU settings on the router. I have no idea how or where to set it on the FiOS ActionTec router, but XBL wants it to be higher than 1300-1350 or something, and if it's below that it'll fail the test outright (it's mentioned on the help tab next to the test when it fails). Most of the time I've set it up myself, the MTU has ended up around the high 1400's. http://help.expedient.net/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml edit: you can ignore the changing MTU settings in registry part, you're going to be changing that on the router itself, not the individual computer you're using.
phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 phoenixrebirth
Member since 2006 • 899 Posts
Oh wow. 1300's. Thats really fast actually. Curious. Are most of these problems happening on wireless connections or hardwire connects?
phoenixrebirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 phoenixrebirth
Member since 2006 • 899 Posts
Im reading u verizon suggests u use their router but can u use a third party router?
Avatar image for mrmichael112002
mrmichael112002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrmichael112002
Verizon adds a nat layer in the fios box. I'd you double nat there is no love. MOD NOTE: Please no thread necromancy.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
You double bumped
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

i used to have verizon then it was bought out by some small name company...that works fine, i usually get 3-4 bars on mw2, try getting wired internet, it is alot more reliable than wireless

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#28 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

How did this thread ever get resurrected from 2008. Time to move on folks.

P.S. Had FIOS for three years and no prolems with 360 LIVE.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

i have FIOS and i play xbox almost everyday and it works like a champ .