Unofficial XBOX 360 Dashboard Update Discussion :)

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FallenSputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FallenSputnik
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts

Hey guys so this is the unofficial xbox 360 new dashboard update discussion that was released earlier this morning :)

Thoughts? Comments? Discuss!

P.S : I love the new features of netflix, such as the ability to search/add to dvd que!

Enjoy

agentdandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 agentdandb
Member since 2006 • 5891 Posts

I do not like it at all.

The white is way to bright, and the overall look is cheap and tacky imo.

I hope theres a way to change the colour.

6/10

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I do not like it at all.

The white is way to bright, and the overall look is cheap and tacky imo.

I hope theres a way to change the colour.

6/10

agentdandb
I dont like the brightness of it either. And there seems to be lag when navigating and clicking on things (represented by a white swirl when it loads). Annoying.
FallenSputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FallenSputnik

hmmm there are numerous skins you can download and purchase for your xbox....but I would love to hear more discussion on new features...thats the purpose of the update anyways :)

RiddleMe82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RiddleMe82
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts

Way too much white.

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#6 lorddaggeroff
Member since 2008 • 2433 Posts
THIS IS THE HOTTEST TOPIC every ones really angry i am to that ms neglected to inform it's paying customers for a answer why they forced us to have white screen to burn your tv and cost on energy,
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

THIS IS THE HOTTEST TOPIC every ones really angry i am to that ms neglected to inform it's paying customers for a answer why they forced us to have white screen to burn your tv and cost on energy, lorddaggeroff

thats what your complaining about? the miniscule amount of extra energy it costs to run the dashboard for the few seconds before loading up a game?

bigredrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bigredrew
Member since 2004 • 104 Posts

This may be because I've been beta testing this; however, I really think that it is a better setup than the previous dashboard. Sure, the dashboard may look bad to some, have a "small" delay preforming actions, and etc... However, the update also upgraded the Xbox 360's hardware to support the Kinect "which alone required a dashboard update as well". This, along with the new feature(s) of ESPN, updated Netflix browsing and what not, makes this a worth while upgrade. People are going to complain every time something changes, but at least try to experience it thoroughly before doing so.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 buft
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

This may be because I've been beta testing this; however, I really think that it is a better setup than the previous dashboard. Sure, the dashboard may look bad to some, have a "small" delay preforming actions, and etc... However, the update also upgraded the Xbox 360's hardware to support the Kinect "which alone required a dashboard update as well". This, along with the new feature(s) of ESPN, updated Netflix browsing and what not, makes this a worth while upgrade. People are going to complain every time something changes, but at least try to experience it thoroughly before doing so.

bigredrew
that would be greaty if we actually got those features but in the uk we dont and the equivilant sky player takes a completely seperate update. someone said there is skins? where can i find these, thats a feature im interested in.
DJ_Redline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 DJ_Redline
Member since 2004 • 288 Posts

I don't mind the new update, I think it looks a little better than the last update and I haven't noticed any lag with my system. If anything I think my system is quicker with loading certain things now if that makes any sense. I have themes downloaded already so I don't have to put up with the crappy super white background so thats not bothering me at all

tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

it refuses to download for me, i have a connection problem which i dont understand.

FallenSputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FallenSputnik

@ connection problem....microsoft might be having problems with your region and releasing update... just wait a little bit...during past night i lost connection with my xbl and reconnected...so strange things happening is normal.

@skins each game has game specific skins/backgrounds/themes etc...look at popular games etc for about 80 micro points you can get that.

@white I think they are trying to emphasize that microsoft is white/clean system and look to it...look at starting logo since day one, and whenever it loads up...the background is white.

@delay....keep in mind millions of people will be doing this upgrade within next few days....so there might be a little bit delay...that happens with everything.

Keep it going I want to make this a popular thread :)

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 linkyshinks
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts
New XBOX 360 Dashboard Update Later Today

Microsoft rolls out it's new Dashboard later today, which will be compulsory i order to connect to Live. According to M'soft's e-mail, the install will take between 10-15 minutes depending on your connection speed.

Here is a list of some improvements which will be available:

• PTT improved: Change the audio codec used for discussion groups of friends
  • New look for the gamertag of choice: If your gamertag is already taken, your avatar will be a wheel and offers 5 suggestions gamertag not yet used
  • Improved virtual keyboard: It has been redesigned to make it easier if you often write the same things
  • Improved Marketplace: The marketplace of different menus are better organized to find the games and their contents as soon as possible
  • New Avatar: The avatars will have more natural proportions to facilitate their use in games KINECTS
  • New management WIFI: You'll have access to the list of available wireless networks, and from there you will just have to choose and configure your
  • New management of profiles: It is now possible to disconnect the profiles used by other controllers as yours, a system specially designed for games like Rock Band
  • New presentation of success: The games where you have reached 100% of success will be better highlighted

Thoughts?

Yagnav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yagnav
Member since 2004 • 6107 Posts

Well i like it so far, but i guess i got bored of the old layout, so could be that. Too bad i gotta wait 3 weeks before Kinect releases where i am.

Avatar image for Twisted-Ice-God
Twisted-Ice-God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Twisted-Ice-God
Member since 2008 • 755 Posts

irony... microsucks desides it wants white to look clean but the consoles are all black now... hahahahahahaha gotta love retarted market ploys hehe hoho haha

FallenSputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FallenSputnik

yey we have pretty pictures now :)

FallenSputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FallenSputnik

P.S: Hopefully they will be updating a lot of stuff with ESPN in next couple of days also :o...like it says there are 50 video clips, and when you click on it, it says there is no content there yet :o...strange :o.

k04sm02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 k04sm02
Member since 2005 • 1164 Posts

P.S: Hopefully they will be updating a lot of stuff with ESPN in next couple of days also :o...like it says there are 50 video clips, and when you click on it, it says there is no content there yet :o...strange :o.

FallenSputnik
ESPN is already working for me. Maybe not all of the content? I'm watching Aussie Rules Footy right now, I've missed this.
FallenSputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FallenSputnik

yeah its working...but I have a feeling that they are uploading the content now :o...

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Well I have a few complaints.

- Game Marketplace sort of blows. I used to just go to newest and be able to see all the new stuff in each section... Now I have to go in and out of each section checking out the new stuff. It just takes way longer for no real reason.

- The friends page hurts my brain.

- I can now see less stuff on my dashboard. For example I could see more than 3 (probably 4 or 5 total) friends at a time, but now that Microsoft is sure than I am almost blind I can only see 2 at a time....

- And I do agree on some of the brightness. It isn't bad on most of the dashboard, but hitting the guide menu starts to make my eyes bleed and so does the My Xbox part of the dash.

Other than that it seems pretty fine. It just seems really unnecessary to give us this if we don't have Kinect. Because for Kinect a lot of this does make sense. The bigger stuff on the dashboard is a bit better because it will help you see the crap whilst waving your arm around selecting crap on Kinect. But I don't have Kinect and I'm not blind, so why? Oh and I almost forgot, the featured page in the Game Marketplace is like the Spotlight part of the dashboard... I see it every time and will never, ever use it.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

is the voice chat better now? im not going to be able to try until tonight.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#22 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I like it. Sure, it's REALLY bright, but I think it's pretty slick.
FallenSputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FallenSputnik

@Agent. you are wrong there my friend :)

The real update for the upcoming hardware is not released yet...or it is but partly, this is mostly for upcoming features such as ESPN streaming :) which was a lot of discussion about... I feel old way of shop wasssss wayyy too much work, you had to go back and forth way too much....so thats where we differ.

plus like i said they had a partner update with netflix which is really pretty, by the way for people who dont like the white...turn down your tv brightness or 360 brightness :) simple as that :)

Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts
None of my friends are showing up on the list. I hope the update didn't somehow delete them...
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I think it looks pretty good.

7.5/10

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Agent_Kaliaver

@Agent. you are wrong there my friend :)

The real update for the upcoming hardware is not released yet...or it is but partly, this is mostly for upcoming features such as ESPN streaming :) which was a lot of discussion about... I feel old way of shop wasssss wayyy too much work, you had to go back and forth way too much....so thats where we differ.

plus like i said they had a partner update with netflix which is really pretty, by the way for people who dont like the white...turn down your tv brightness or 360 brightness :) simple as that :)

FallenSputnik

Well how I used to view the marketplace was just by going to the new released. That allowed me easy access to all the new Game Marketplace content in one stop. Now that is impossible because you have to go into one, then to new releases, and finally exit all the way back, and repeat like 5 times.

This is only a problem if you looked at new releases the way I did, if you viewed the Game Marketplace differently then this probably isn't as a big of a deal. Either way I don't understand the reason for the removal of the old new release system. Especially since they could have introduced this new Game Marketplace without completely removing the old New Release system...

And the only update I ever got was the one I talked about so I just thought that was what this entire thread was about. And why would I turn the brightness down? Then I would have to turn it back up when I played games. There is no reason for that and really no reason for Microsoft to not give options (such as a dashboard brightness/coloring scheme. Oh wait there is... if we had options Microsoft couldn't control everything...

TheCaveRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 TheCaveRat
Member since 2006 • 3672 Posts

irony... microsucks desides it wants white to look clean but the consoles are all black now... hahahahahahaha gotta love retarted market ploys hehe hoho haha

Twisted-Ice-God

Gotta love when someone insults someone else for stupidity but can't spell "retarded."

Twisted-Ice-God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Twisted-Ice-God

i was on ie8 instead of firefox where i have auto spell check and it just so happens i havent slept much since i got fallout new vegas and fable 3... two great games, one lost soul lol. and i dont spell worth a darn so :p i really miss the old blades some times... simple sleek elegant... if it wernt for the avatars i so would hate microsoft for the nxe dash and this kinect dash is worse... im so not liking the brighter colors and less organic feel of it... now it feels all... um... i cant put my finger on it... its kinda like going from xp to vista... just feels too dumbed down, it makes me feel like im on a 7 yr olds xbox. thanks microsoft for assuming we all like white instead of the nice neutral grey. and assuming i didnt like the way the old dashboard felt more organic less boxy.

FallenSputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FallenSputnik

[QUOTE="Twisted-Ice-God"]

TheCaveRat

Gotta love when someone insults someone else for stupidity but can't spell "retarded."

I agree with you there mate, it's not a ploy...people have market and research development teams that dedicate their careers how to properly design things....so before you get to that stage of your life dont insult others @twisted.

btw, fallout nv and fable 3 didnt get that good of reviews ;). they are both "been there done that games" ;)

Avatar image for JetB1ackNewYear
JetB1ackNewYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JetB1ackNewYear
Member since 2007 • 2931 Posts
i like it so far i love the clean look. only thing im upset with is i dont think ESPN has NFL. on it thats like the number one reason i would use it!
JetB1ackNewYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JetB1ackNewYear
ok i take that back ^^ it does suck hard no NFL but the fact that i cant watch a crap load of other sports is really sick
otacon645

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 otacon645
Member since 2004 • 701 Posts

Anyone having NAT problems after the update? Mine was Open before but after the update its set to closed...Really annoying!

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Other than that it seems pretty fine. It just seems really unnecessary to give us this if we don't have Kinect. Because for Kinect a lot of this does make sense. The bigger stuff on the dashboard is a bit better because it will help you see the crap whilst waving your arm around selecting crap on Kinect. But I don't have Kinect and I'm not blind, so why?Agent_Kaliaver
It makes sense from a developer support standpoint. Regardless of whether or not we own Kinect, we all need this update so that the developers at MS do not need to support two different versions of the operating system of the console.
JetB1ackNewYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JetB1ackNewYear

Anyone having NAT problems after the update? Mine was Open before but after the update its set to closed...Really annoying!

otacon645

ill have to check i noticed my netflix isnt playing in HD when it 99% usually does.......and i had to edit this bc soon as i hit summit on this it went to full HD haha

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

The improved voice chat is pretty much my favorite update, though i've had it since BETA started, now i can FINALLY party chat with my pals. :lol:

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
i like it
otacon645

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 otacon645
Member since 2004 • 701 Posts

[QUOTE="otacon645"]

JetB1ackNewYear

ill have to check i noticed my netflix isnt playing in HD when it 99% usually does.......and i had to edit this bc soon as i hit summit on this it went to full HD haha

;

Hehe, i got my NAT open again - just had to restart my router d'oh!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78b683675c5
deactivated-5d78b683675c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d78b683675c5
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

[QUOTE="FallenSputnik"]

k04sm02

ESPN is already working for me. Maybe not all of the content? I'm watching Aussie Rules Footy right now, I've missed this.

For me, the only thing I can see are highlights, I don't have have any options for live games or replays. ESPN3 added Time Warner Cable to their ISP list so I'm not sure what the problem is.

retromikecm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 retromikecm
Member since 2010 • 36 Posts

I like that they made everything a little faster to browse through. I'm only really seeing a problem with watching Netflix in HD because it seems to be a little janky. Comparing to watching shows last night, it seems to have some screen tearing and framerate issues. Other than that, I think that as long as they keep improving the speed of the UI, then it's all thumbs up from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

I think it's pretty sweet, although the voice chat quality is not better - LIES! It just sounds like their outside or kind of auto-tuned :/

Although apart from the (not so improved) audio quality, the whiteness has actually gave me a headache, literally, it strains my eyes like they want to give us permanent eye damage. On my HDTV, it's like the sun is in my room.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I like the brightness, its cheerful

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Agent_Kaliaver
[QUOTE="Agent_Kaliaver"]Other than that it seems pretty fine. It just seems really unnecessary to give us this if we don't have Kinect. Because for Kinect a lot of this does make sense. The bigger stuff on the dashboard is a bit better because it will help you see the crap whilst waving your arm around selecting crap on Kinect. But I don't have Kinect and I'm not blind, so why?DJ_Magneto
It makes sense from a developer support standpoint. Regardless of whether or not we own Kinect, we all need this update so that the developers at MS do not need to support two different versions of the operating system of the console.

I am not saying I want the old dashboard, but this new dashboard with the ability to see more than 3 panels. That is what I meant with that whole statement. It makes sense for things to be bigger for Kinect so you can match up hand movements to panels on the screen. If there are a ton of panels than it may get confusing. But having such big panels isn't necessary without Kinect (even then it isn't necessary with Kinect). So why not give everyone the new dashboard, but with an option on whether or not you want huge panels (3 per screen) or smaller panels (5ish per screen).
Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

I think the new update looks great. I love the white and greys. Really make it look slick. I'm just loving all the new menus.

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

Now my avatar has a long torso..... thanks MS

Avatar image for theintrospect79
theintrospect79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#45 theintrospect79
Member since 2004 • 2796 Posts

I think the new update looks great. I love the white and greys. Really make it look slick. I'm just loving all the new menus.

DamianAlexander

I agree, seems more responsive also.

floydfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 floydfire
Member since 2004 • 143 Posts

looks like safe mode for windows

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Use a skin if it's "too white" sheesh.. there's plenty of free ones or just spend a few measly points on one you like. And this just came out, of course there's technical issues as with any launching product/service. Give it time and the lag will go away. It's going to lag when you have millions of customers all switching over to this new system at the same time.
Twisted-Ice-God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Twisted-Ice-God

[QUOTE="TheCaveRat"]

[QUOTE="Twisted-Ice-God"]

FallenSputnik

I agree with you there mate, it's not a ploy...people have market and research development teams that dedicate their careers how to properly design things....so before you get to that stage of your life dont insult others @twisted.

btw, fallout nv and fable 3 didnt get that good of reviews ;). they are both "been there done that games" ;)

okay first of all, reviews dont mean squat if i like the game,i like the game, second of all, i said it was ironic because its a black console trying to have a white image, its pretty funny, if they wanted to have a white image why not make the new consoles white like the old ones? and i am familiar with marketing and understand that everything from the familair xbox chime when you turn it on, to the number of colors in the new swirl all are evaluated tested on consumer panels and it all has its purpose but honestly how many people really buy a console based at all on things like that? yes i understand its all about the image they want to portray but since the majority of the consumer base of the xbox could careless about colors and most of the other consumer base doesnt buy for themselves its parents buying what a kid wants, so yeah i find it hillarious that they spend so much money on consumer focus and marketing considering the reason why you get xbox over ps3 usualy falls into one of three areas, consumer loyalty, exlusive titles, or price point. i am not ignorant of the need for marketing and such but i do think if microsoft spent more on making consoles that didnt have massive hardware failure, and maybe they could have been ahead of the curve and had kinect out a year ago and beat sony to the motion sensitive game! so yeah dismiss what i say all you want, it only proves that people are to narrow minded to look past the old ways and embrace change. look at nintendo they embraced change and still are, i honestly think they are ahead of everyone on marketing, but thats another subject all together, microsoft just needs to make sure they put out good hardware with the kinect and marketing will take care of itself when people realize that the kinect is a better system. ;)

edited to add the winky smiley ;)

guile295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 guile295
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts

Use a skin if it's "too white" sheesh.. there's plenty of free ones or just spend a few measly points on one you like. And this just came out, of course there's technical issues as with any launching product/service. Give it time and the lag will go away. It's going to lag when you have millions of customers all switching over to this new system at the same time.wwervin

I use the night theme and it's still to bright my complaint about the "hot white" is when using the guide the white is almost blinding over the dimmed background i can't even look at my friends profile because of the over-use of the "hot white" so in response to your comment "use a skin if it's too white sheesh" you can't change the color scheme for the xbox guide

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

way TOO MUCH Kinect advertisements