*THIS* is why we need competition

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scooter2407

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 scooter2407
Member since 2013 • 34 Posts
If Sony didn't exist, MS would have dictated how the next generation was run, and they would win. To be honest, we'd either have to shell out for the XBone or stay with 2005 technology. Only because of the PS4 did MS fear losing market share and changed their mostly-universally-hated policies. So while I'm not a Playstation fan, I definitely don't want it going away (until there's a good competitor in place). Just wanted to say that.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
MS was just trying to move the industry forward. It wasn't Sony who did it, it was all the entitled nerds on the internet.
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
Competition is good for everyone, it pushes companies to develop better products, or copy others which drives prices down. Change, big revolutionary change comes at once, and not by copying and doing the same thing everyone else is dong. The music Industry didn't see Napster coming, Blockbuster didn't see Netflix coming. The people hand writing books didn't see the printing press coming to revolutionize the world, the were just copying and handwriting books as they done for 4 thousand years. Microsoft had a vision that would dramatically change how we would use our home consoles. They failed horribly, they should have told us yes we have drm and limits on used games but here's why. You can install your games and never use the disk again, you can share this game with ten family members and you and one other could play the game at the same time. You can instantly switch between games when you get a game invite to another game, or get invites while you watch tv and play instantly. They should have told us yes Internet is required and here's why. We have build this awesome cloud service with 300 thousand servers that will improve game worlds beyond what you've even imagine. We built Xbox one for the future as the Internet improves everything about the xbox one experience. They could have kept the drm but had a offline mode to play games without 24hour checkins. The vision of the future is a grand one, but MS failed at every aspect to tell us why we not only needed but why we would want it. They told us with a smug nose up type attitude, you don't like don't buy.
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts
MS was just trying to move the industry forward. It wasn't Sony who did it, it was all the entitled nerds on the internet.percech
i am really lost, i keep seeing this. can you explain how the drm and used games thing is moving the industry forward, im not trying to troll i really want to know
Avatar image for deactivated-63e66f5999640
deactivated-63e66f5999640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63e66f5999640
Member since 2005 • 495 Posts
[QUOTE="percech"]MS was just trying to move the industry forward. It wasn't Sony who did it, it was all the entitled nerds on the internet.Djmaster214
i am really lost, i keep seeing this. can you explain how the drm and used games thing is moving the industry forward, im not trying to troll i really want to know

Going all digital is the what the industry is going to eventually do, Microsoft tried to speed up the process.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Microshaft wasn't "trying to move the industry forward" they were trying to be massive douchebags and clamp down on every damn level of ownership possible. How in the hell would that have been a good thing for the people? 

I could give two shits about how microsoft feels about anything, but I was pretty damn concerned (or annoyed rather) when I saw the crap they were about to pull, and the worst part is so many of you were right behind those shitwads...that's disappointing.

To the morons who really thought this was "moving us into the future" angryjoe has 2 choice words for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcXdWRJ-xb4

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

[QUOTE="Djmaster214"][QUOTE="percech"]MS was just trying to move the industry forward. It wasn't Sony who did it, it was all the entitled nerds on the internet.Gatman32

Going all digital is the what the industry is going to eventually do, Microsoft tried to speed up the process.

1. Going all digital is suicide. First of all, Imagine having to download something like Final Fantasy on all digital, it would eat up at least 40-50 gigs. It would take me days to download that on my cable connection. 

2, while I have interent now at my parents house, I am getting married and moving out in 1 year, I don't know if I will have interent. It's too expensive to live directly in town for us, and out back a ways interent starts to really degrade into very poor dsl and dialup. I don't want it to become a paper weight because I wouldn't be able to get good internet. And besides, SP player games are my bread and butter, i'm not much into MP.

3. THE GAME PRICES WILL NOT DROP with all digital. It hasn't this gen, they will cost just as much as retail games at launch. And as for sales, amazon has tons of sales all the time on retail games.

I am very glad they were convinced to remove these DRM features, because now I might actually buy one and go the trifecta route again this gen. I was gonna miss Forza 5, but now I might not have too.

Also before ANYONE mentions The cloud. The cloud is still there and it will operate exactly how it can as a cloud, storing game saves and transfering small data. The whole extra power thing was BS, for one, if you needed the cloud to help render and calculate a game, why do you only have to connect online once every 24 hours? Always online 24/7 would have made much more sense to argue that, but if you can be offline for 24 hours a time, you aren't connected to the cloud to help the rendering, which the game would need in order to properly function. That was just PR trying to make it not seem like what it really was, DRM.

And as far as buying everything digital, you can, I personally will buy everything on Disc. And we all know the family share plan is not what most of SW seems to think it is. 10 friends/family members being able to play your games? I have a feeling that it has to be limited in one way or another, because they would loose out on more sales from that vs. blocking used games.

Killerstrike1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Killerstrike1
Member since 2013 • 44 Posts

If Sony didn't exist, MS would have dictated how the next generation was run, and they would win. To be honest, we'd either have to shell out for the XBone or stay with 2005 technology. Only because of the PS4 did MS fear losing market share and changed their mostly-universally-hated policies. So while I'm not a Playstation fan, I definitely don't want it going away (until there's a good competitor in place). Just wanted to say that.scooter2407
If sony didnt exist there would be no Xbox ;)

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Microshaft wasn't "trying to move the industry forward" they were trying to be massive douchebags and clamp down on every damn level of ownership possible. How in the hell would that have been a good thing for the people? 

I could give two shits about how microsoft feels about anything, but I was pretty damn concerned (or annoyed rather) when I saw the crap they were about to pull, and the worst part is so many of you were right behind those shitwads...that's disappointing.

To the morons who really thought this was "moving us into the future" angryjoe has 2 choice words for you...

jer_1
People like you who truly believe this can't think out of the box or look into the future. These consoles will last for a long time. You can't implement the policies MS was preaching after the console has been released so they were being up front with it. Now we have two consoles with better graphics and NOTHING else new for an entire generation.
Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I was fine with the policies in place for X1. Yeah, it will attract a larger consumer base, but it really wasnt a bad start at all. Our phones are connected, why wouldnt our consoles? Too many people complaining. Microsoft shouldve stood by their word.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pickettsticket
Member since 2012 • 193 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

firefox59

People like you who truly believe this can't think out of the box or look into the future. These consoles will last for a long time. You can't implement the policies MS was preaching after the console has been released so they were being up front with it. Now we have two consoles with better graphics and NOTHING else new for an entire generation.

I can not believe what i have just read. you realise with out DRM restrictions you can still download games yh? or are you just an idiot that is so desperate to try justify the move you will say anything and ignore everything?

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="jer_1"]

kingoflife9

Your in such denial lol.  Imagine never truly owning your games?  You buy the right to see them pan out on your screen, its literally like renting an interactive movie.  I want to OWN my games and do as I please with them.  I must have traded a hundred games this gen, and was able to play all of them without spending my life savings.  dummy.

First off, congratulations on giving developers zero money and being part of the problem. Your the reason MS did what they did to try and get the money being spent on games to the right people. YOU caused this. Now who is in denial. Now, with the old MS policy you could have sold and traded even your digital games. This whole "never owning your games" thing is BS, and only people who believe that are the ones who didn't bother looking into what MS was doing and just went along with all the hating. It's amazing how everyone loves steam and yet MS was going to let you do more with your digital games and people freaked out.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pickettsticket

[QUOTE="kingoflife9"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] People like you who truly believe this can't think out of the box or look into the future. These consoles will last for a long time. You can't implement the policies MS was preaching after the console has been released so they were being up front with it. Now we have two consoles with better graphics and NOTHING else new for an entire generation.firefox59

Your in such denial lol.  Imagine never truly owning your games?  You buy the right to see them pan out on your screen, its literally like renting an interactive movie.  I want to OWN my games and do as I please with them.  I must have traded a hundred games this gen, and was able to play all of them without spending my life savings.  dummy.

First off, congratulations on giving developers zero money and being part of the problem. Your the reason MS did what they did to try and get the money being spent on games to the right people. YOU caused this. Now who is in denial. Now, with the old MS policy you could have sold and traded even your digital games. This whole "never owning your games" thing is BS, and only people who believe that are the ones who didn't bother looking into what MS was doing and just went along with all the hating. It's amazing how everyone loves steam and yet MS was going to let you do more with your digital games and people freaked out.

people love steam because you get great games dirt cheap and there is no need for used games, microsoft would still price there games at rrp.

seriously . . . stop trying to justify such a stupid restriction

Do you really think "THE FUTURE" is being able to share your games . . . just on digital instead of disc? so you would rather wait for downloads and all other online cr*p rather than just give some one a disc with the game ready to play?

listen to yourself

sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

Change the topic title to "this is why we need education". Some idiots will argue that going digital is the future... go figure. MS sollution was far from perfect, but it was a start, now it feels like we missed a full gen because of idiots with no internet, $#%& you and your poor ass for holding back my product. Whats next? Ms gimping the controller to cater to the gamers with one arm. Lets force everyone to play with one big button so the handicapped can bang their head against it, now everyone can play! MS biggest mistake, not going all in. They should have started with $20 cheaper digital copies and a second hand shop on LIVE. But MS used shit instead of honey, they screwed up to, but not as bad as the gamers. 

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts

[QUOTE="Spartan_N7"]I was fine with the policies in place for X1. Yeah, it will attract a larger consumer base, but it really wasnt a bad start at all. Our phones are connected, why wouldnt our consoles? Too many people complaining. Microsoft shouldve stood by their word. kingoflife9

their original policy would have tanked the whole xbox brand.

No, it wouldnt have. It wouldve gave them a rocky start, but to say that they wouldve tanked is a fools statement. It's going to happen sooner or later, whether we like it or not, so might as well get it over with sooner so we all adapt to it.
xeidog69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 xeidog69
Member since 2005 • 1463 Posts

Your spot on with the family game sharing, I bet that while someone plays a copy of your digital games it would kick them off as soon as you decided to play said game, it would be a series of people thinking the game simply errored out and disconnected you and people would be trying to reboot the game and kicking one another. You can kind of do that now by sharing accounts with others, my kid and nephew switch up once in a while as it is for eachothers arcade games.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

firefox59

Ah, another message board dweller who fancies himself to be one of the few enlightened among the ignorant masses. rolleyes.gif

xeidog69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 xeidog69
Member since 2005 • 1463 Posts

I must disagree, I hate seeing everyone say that its going to happen eventually anyway with their tails between their legs, Money talks and let me tell you "PC GAMING" has all but died in comparison to console so lets adopt the PC GAMING MODEL. seriously PC has some great games and ideas but developers have been using DRM on just about everything for well over 10 years, first it was just cd keys which could be used to install the game an infinite amount of times to as many pc's as one wants. Now CD Keys can be activated a limited amount of times and then your calling customer service to have them increase your cd key usages.

The only Reason so many have been adopting consoles and the gamer pool is as large as it is today is because PC gamers hate DRM too, Diablo 3 lost alot of players only recently because its a game that can be should be allowed offline but they make you connect to their servers to play it single player anyways, servers go down, you cannot play..

Granted people still buy PC games because they really are far nicer looking with alot more shaders and power behind them, some simply cannot fathom playing games with gamepads all the time and prefer the keyboard and mouse, However Gamers tend to leave games behind when DRM hinders them at every turn..

I shiver when I realise that someday all my MMO games that I hold dear will someday just not be there and all that time put in will no longer mean anything. servers shut down and its like it never happened, I have no game, my data was all stored on a server..its not good in any form..what ever happened to hosting a room of instanced play where people connect to your IP address as an option.

MMO even though you have a disc are basically like all digital, you dont need the disc once your account is created and game is registered to you. However the online requirement for any games is just bad, as this generation will end and servers may not stay up as long as you would think.People put 3,000 hours into monster hunter games and the online for those is down now//Nobody wants that.

The way things have been with consoles up until now you could hand the system down to a little one when they are old enough to play it, all that money doesnt go to waste and now someone else can appreciate it for their first time.

pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pickettsticket

I must disagree, I hate seeing everyone say that its going to happen eventually anyway with their tails between their legs, Money talks and let me tell you "PC GAMING" has all but died in comparison to console so lets adopt the PC GAMING MODEL. seriously PC has some great games and ideas but developers have been using DRM on just about everything for well over 10 years, first it was just cd keys which could be used to install the game an infinite amount of times to as many pc's as one wants. Now CD Keys can be activated a limited amount of times and then your calling customer service to have them increase your cd key usages.

The only Reason so many have been adopting consoles and the gamer pool is as large as it is today is because PC gamers hate DRM too, Diablo 3 lost alot of players only recently because its a game that can be should be allowed offline but they make you connect to their servers to play it single player anyways, servers go down, you cannot play..

Granted people still buy PC games because they really are far nicer looking with alot more shaders and power behind them, some simply cannot fathom playing games with gamepads all the time and prefer the keyboard and mouse, However Gamers tend to leave games behind when DRM hinders them at every turn..

I shiver when I realise that someday all my MMO games that I hold dear will someday just not be there and all that time put in will no longer mean anything. servers shut down and its like it never happened, I have no game, my data was all stored on a server..its not good in any form..what ever happened to hosting a room of instanced play where people connect to your IP address as an option.

MMO even though you have a disc are basically like all digital, you dont need the disc once your account is created and game is registered to you. However the online requirement for any games is just bad, as this generation will end and servers may not stay up as long as you would think.People put 3,000 hours into monster hunter games and the online for those is down now//Nobody wants that.

The way things have been with consoles up until now you could hand the system down to a little one when they are old enough to play it, all that money doesnt go to waste and now someone else can appreciate it for their first time.

xeidog69

Great post, Plus having no DRM restrictions does not mean they can not keep the sharing online features at all, I don't know why that is so hard to understand for some people.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="jer_1"]

Bubble_Man

Ah, another message board dweller who fancies himself to be one of the few enlightened among the ignorant masses. rolleyes.gif

Well it's true. And there are more people who agree with me than you think. It's just the negative people are so much more vocal and put more effort into bashing MS's now defunct policies. Tell me honestly that you think almost zero innovation for another 7 years is a good thing.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pickettsticket

[QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] People like you who truly believe this can't think out of the box or look into the future. These consoles will last for a long time. You can't implement the policies MS was preaching after the console has been released so they were being up front with it. Now we have two consoles with better graphics and NOTHING else new for an entire generation.firefox59

Well it's true. And there are more people who agree with me than you think. It's just the negative people are so much more vocal and put more effort into bashing MS's now defunct policies. Tell me honestly that you think almost zero innovation for another 7 years is a good thing.

And tell me how a console having DRM restrictions is an innovation, i would be delighted to hear what thoughts are running through your head.

Or are you just going to ignore the question for a second time? 

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

pickettsticket

And tell me how a console having DRM restrictions is an innovation, i would be delighted to hear what thoughts are running through your head.

I agree. I did not see anything from MS that was going to be innovating outside of Cloud computing. I'm really curious what you thought whats innovative about Xb1. And just because its going to be more in line like the PS4 now DOES NOT mean they can't be innovative or even bring in similar features it previously had.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 firefox59
[QUOTE="pickettsticket"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] Well it's true. And there are more people who agree with me than you think. It's just the negative people are so much more vocal and put more effort into bashing MS's now defunct policies. Tell me honestly that you think almost zero innovation for another 7 years is a good thing.Childeater10

I agree. I did not see anything from MS that was going to be innovating outside of Cloud computing. I'm really curious what you thought whats innovative about Xb1. And just because its going to be more in line like the PS4 now DOES NOT mean they can't be innovative or even bring in similar features it previously had.

Well first off, you can't implement policies like that after people have purchased the consoles unless MS feels like getting sued. Secondly, the word innovate means to do something new or different. MS was trying to lessen the impact of used games and give devs more money while STILL saving people money cause they could share games among 10 other people. The biggest problem people have with eliminating used games is the money and with the sharing you could play all of your friends games. Also, MS would let you buy, sell and trade digital games with is a step forward. Idk how you can deny that. MS was innovating the way we play and manage games. However, people didn't understand what was happening went "OMG they are taking away my rights" and freaked out. Now we have improved versions of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and that's about it. The Xbox One does have more room for improvement, but it'll be hard to implement new policies without people attacking them again.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pickettsticket

[QUOTE="firefox59"]Well first off, you can't implement policies like that after people have purchased the consoles unless MS feels like getting sued. Secondly, the word innovate means to do something new or different. MS was trying to lessen the impact of used games and give devs more money while STILL saving people money cause they could share games among 10 other people. The biggest problem people have with eliminating used games is the money and with the sharing you could play all of your friends games. Also, MS would let you buy, sell and trade digital games with is a step forward. Idk how you can deny that. MS was innovating the way we play and manage games. However, people didn't understand what was happening went "OMG they are taking away my rights" and freaked out. Now we have improved versions of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and that's about it. The Xbox One does have more room for improvement, but it'll be hard to implement new policies without people attacking them again.magicalclick

You assume there is no limitation in sharing with your 10 friends. The truth is, MS hasn't announced anything about the limitations of sharing. And just using commom sense, I am pretty sure they do not wish you to share games with your friends (they are not your family to begin with) and uncontroled sharing would lose more money, which is very unappealing for publishers. In the most basic setup, two players cannot play the same game on different console at same time. Don't expect buying one game and share with your 10 friends and expect to play all together online at same time. That will never happen, no matter how you have internet connect every single second or not.

Exactly this, Firefox You do not get unlimited sharing and all this you are making up because its something you are obviously trying to make your self believe.

Even if they did which they just would never allow, you take away sharing hard copy games, and give them digital copy sharing . . . there still going to be loosing money the same way.

A simple concept you obviously can not understand.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"]Well first off, you can't implement policies like that after people have purchased the consoles unless MS feels like getting sued. Secondly, the word innovate means to do something new or different. MS was trying to lessen the impact of used games and give devs more money while STILL saving people money cause they could share games among 10 other people. The biggest problem people have with eliminating used games is the money and with the sharing you could play all of your friends games. Also, MS would let you buy, sell and trade digital games with is a step forward. Idk how you can deny that. MS was innovating the way we play and manage games. However, people didn't understand what was happening went "OMG they are taking away my rights" and freaked out. Now we have improved versions of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and that's about it. The Xbox One does have more room for improvement, but it'll be hard to implement new policies without people attacking them again.magicalclick

You assume there is no limitation in sharing with your 10 friends. The truth is, MS hasn't announced anything about the limitations of sharing. And just using commom sense, I am pretty sure they do not wish you to share games with your friends (they are not your family to begin with) and uncontroled sharing would lose more money, which is very unappealing for publishers. In the most basic setup, two players cannot play the same game on different console at same time. Don't expect buying one game and share with your 10 friends and expect to play all together online at same time. That will never happen, no matter how you have internet connect every single second or not.

Well I'm not responding to the other kid until he can post without being annoying and patronizing.

As for your response. I think you kind of answered your own conundrum. You said "sharing would lose more money" but then said "you can't play together with friends at the same time." Exactly, there are limits. Your friends would want to buy there own copy cause only you and one friend could play any game at the same time. Regardless, one person buying a game and sharing it is better than anyone buying a used game cause the devs get ZERO profit from that transaction. The whole point is eliminating used games cause the people who make the games get nothing from that. So you share your games, your friends like them, then they buy them. That's the idea. Even if not all of them buy it, 1 or 2 game sales is better than no profit from a used game sale.

Also, you can't really question the 10 people sharing system, at least right now. MS said you could share with anyone on your that's been on your list for 30 days. We can't just speculate and assume they are lying, and seeing as how that idea is gone for now, we may never know for sure.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
MS was just trying to move the industry forward. It wasn't Sony who did it, it was all the entitled nerds on the internet.percech
Wrong on both counts. First, MS was trying to shove EULAs down your throat in the most enforceable way possible(and it sounds like you were already opening wide). Second, if Sony hadn't knifed xbox one in the kidneys, then there would have been no point in switching consoles, which means no torrent of hate and mass promises of defection, which means no action. The "nerds" did the heavy lifting, but Sony gave them the lever to move Microsoft.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="xeidog69"]

pickettsticket

Great post, Plus having no DRM restrictions does not mean they can not keep the sharing online features at all, I don't know why that is so hard to understand for some people.

The Grand Game Sharing Scheme(TheGGSS) was a ploy to attempt to take the sting out of losing rentals and used games. It was a carrot on a stick. Well, we wouldn't bite, so they took it away.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

I'd have been tickled pink to have the PS360 generation continue for another three years. Tell me, though- and I'm genuinely interested here- what advancements do you consider 'lost' due to this? Seems to me that new hardware brings innovation with it. PS2 and PS3 were incredibly iterative- only difference was what new video format they supported, how pretty the games could look and(ps360) a viable, comprehensive online service. The PS2 era brought about the birth of the open world action game, and the PS360 era brought about finer details like terrain deformity and structural destruction.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Childeater10"][QUOTE="pickettsticket"] Gotta say- not exactly a compelling argument. I deny the EULA's supposed legitimacy. As long as games are stored on physical media, they can't take my right to do with it as I please, especially by claiming I agreed to something before I ever saw the document. What more do we need than an improved 360? And what are we willing to surrender to have it?

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"]Well first off, you can't implement policies like that after people have purchased the consoles unless MS feels like getting sued. Secondly, the word innovate means to do something new or different. MS was trying to lessen the impact of used games and give devs more money while STILL saving people money cause they could share games among 10 other people. The biggest problem people have with eliminating used games is the money and with the sharing you could play all of your friends games. Also, MS would let you buy, sell and trade digital games with is a step forward. Idk how you can deny that. MS was innovating the way we play and manage games. However, people didn't understand what was happening went "OMG they are taking away my rights" and freaked out. Now we have improved versions of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and that's about it. The Xbox One does have more room for improvement, but it'll be hard to implement new policies without people attacking them again.firefox59

Well I'm not responding to the other kid until he can post without being annoying and patronizing.

As for your response. I think you kind of answered your own conundrum. You said "sharing would lose more money" but then said "you can't play together with friends at the same time." Exactly, there are limits. Your friends would want to buy there own copy cause only you and one friend could play any game at the same time. Regardless, one person buying a game and sharing it is better than anyone buying a used game cause the devs get ZERO profit from that transaction. The whole point is eliminating used games cause the people who make the games get nothing from that. So you share your games, your friends like them, then they buy them. That's the idea. Even if not all of them buy it, 1 or 2 game sales is better than no profit from a used game sale.

Also, you can't really question the 10 people sharing system, at least right now. MS said you could share with anyone on your that's been on your list for 30 days. We can't just speculate and assume they are lying, and seeing as how that idea is gone for now, we may never know for sure.

First devs don't make money per unit. They get paid a wage or a salary to work on the product. The only people who see a per unit return are the publishers. Second, the publishers should absolutely NOT make any money on second hand sales. The produce one product, they get paid for one product. Zum ende. There is absolutely no reason why their bottom line should get special consideration over right to own what I pay for. Gamestop makes a mint for the same reason any other company makes tons of money- because they saw an opportunity and jumped on it before anyone else did. That's called good business.
P7R8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 P7R8
Member since 2008 • 46 Posts

Microsoft has Halo. Sony has nothing even remotely comparable to it.

pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pickettsticket

Microsoft has Halo. Sony has nothing even remotely comparable to it.

P7R8

What about the highest rated exclusives such as uncharted 2, The last of us, God of war, Killzone 2, LBP and MGS4?

But you hang on to that Halo with your dear life.

Just dont bad mouth the higher rated games because you cant play them mate, its childish.

Edit: Oh god I bet I just fell for a troll . . . 

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 firefox59
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

El_Zo1212o

I'd have been tickled pink to have the PS360 generation continue for another three years. Tell me, though- and I'm genuinely interested here- what advancements do you consider 'lost' due to this? Seems to me that new hardware brings innovation with it. PS2 and PS3 were incredibly iterative- only difference was what new video format they supported, how pretty the games could look and(ps360) a viable, comprehensive online service. The PS2 era brought about the birth of the open world action game, and the PS360 era brought about finer details like terrain deformity and structural destruction.

I'm getting tired of people asking me the same thing repeatedly and then no one listens when I give a solid answer. You don't think I'm credible or know what I'm talking about, fine. I'll let this fine gentlemen, who is paid to write about this, answer your questions. Better graphics doesn't = innovation. It's just a prettier game. http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pickettsticket

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="firefox59"] Well it's true. And there are more people who agree with me than you think. It's just the negative people are so much more vocal and put more effort into bashing MS's now defunct policies. Tell me honestly that you think almost zero innovation for another 7 years is a good thing.firefox59

I'm getting tired of people asking me the same thing repeatedly and then no one listens when I give a solid answer. You don't think I'm credible or know what I'm talking about, fine. I'll let this fine gentlemen, who is paid to write about this, answer your questions. Better graphics doesn't = innovation. It's just a prettier game. http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905

And you keep ignoring every single person who does listen and gives a responese that says why that is less important to them.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="firefox59"] Well it's true. And there are more people who agree with me than you think. It's just the negative people are so much more vocal and put more effort into bashing MS's now defunct policies. Tell me honestly that you think almost zero innovation for another 7 years is a good thing.

I don't care who gets paid for what. I tried very hard to avoid giving you the impression that I didn't think you were credible. I asked a question about a claim you made and I was hoping to receive that solid answer you just mentioned. I don't recall antagonizing you lately(though my opinions lately seemed to have found a broad audience of people who've found them so, so I just may not remember). In any case, it was a direct question that I think deserves a direct answer instead of a wrathful link of a nonresponse.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pickettsticket

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] I'd have been tickled pink to have the PS360 generation continue for another three years. Tell me, though- and I'm genuinely interested here- what advancements do you consider 'lost' due to this? Seems to me that new hardware brings innovation with it. PS2 and PS3 were incredibly iterative- only difference was what new video format they supported, how pretty the games could look and(ps360) a viable, comprehensive online service. The PS2 era brought about the birth of the open world action game, and the PS360 era brought about finer details like terrain deformity and structural destruction.El_Zo1212o

I don't care who gets paid for what. I tried very hard to avoid giving you the impression that I didn't think you were credible. I asked a question about a claim you made and I was hoping to receive that solid answer you just mentioned. I don't recall antagonizing you lately(though my opinions lately seemed to have found a broad audience of people who've found them so, so I just may not remember). In any case, it was a direct question that I think deserves a direct answer instead of a wrathful link of a nonresponse.

He is referring to me.

I asked him the excact same questions a few days ago and he did the excact same to me, avoided the question completely and didnt respond to any points i made.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 El_Zo1212o
^Seems a bit odd to be so vehement about having to give a 'solid answer' repeatedly when it seems like the 'solid answer' was never given in the first place... :/
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 firefox59
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]^Seems a bit odd to be so vehement about having to give a 'solid answer' repeatedly when it seems like the 'solid answer' was never given in the first place... :/

That's because picket is a moron who just made an account to bash the Xbox one and fanboy his way all around the forums supporting Sony. I've seen you post here for awhile now. Please don't give this user any credibility.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pickettsticket

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]^Seems a bit odd to be so vehement about having to give a 'solid answer' repeatedly when it seems like the 'solid answer' was never given in the first place... :/firefox59
That's because picket is a moron who just made an account to bash the Xbox one and fanboy his way all around the forums supporting Sony. I've seen you post here for awhile now. Please don't give this user any credibility.

No, i have just gave valid points against everything you have tried to bash sony for and praise xbox for by spinning the truth to what you wish it to be.

When you ask me questions I make sure ive got facts to prove it and an actual point

when i ask you, you reply with

1) Xbox one was the future before you

2) a derogatory comment

3) a completely false statement

Which to be quite honest is very annoying.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]^Seems a bit odd to be so vehement about having to give a 'solid answer' repeatedly when it seems like the 'solid answer' was never given in the first place... :/

Well, I am loath to support the argument of a less'n 200 poster over someone who's name I recognize, but he's the only one talking. I asked you what you believe and all I got in return was basically '*^#$Y#@!!!! I'm tired of answering this question, so read this!' If he's trollin' you and you're pissed, I get that. But when I go out of my way to not wind somebody up(something I only do for a very small number of users around here), I expect a reasonable reply- not a rage-y defensive retort and a link to go with it. (by the bye, I generally lend more credit to the opinions of people who play games because they play games rather than to people who play games for money.)
LevelInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LevelInfinity
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
No one's entitled, sorry we actually want to own our **** games. **** us, right?
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 firefox59
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]^Seems a bit odd to be so vehement about having to give a 'solid answer' repeatedly when it seems like the 'solid answer' was never given in the first place... :/

Well, I am loath to support the argument of a less'n 200 poster over someone who's name I recognize, but he's the only one talking. I asked you what you believe and all I got in return was basically '*^#$Y#@!!!! I'm tired of answering this question, so read this!' If he's trollin' you and you're pissed, I get that. But when I go out of my way to not wind somebody up(something I only do for a very small number of users around here), I expect a reasonable reply- not a rage-y defensive retort and a link to go with it. (by the bye, I generally lend more credit to the opinions of people who play games because they play games rather than to people who play games for money.)

Alright, fair point. I just assumed you'd be somewhat versed in this argument since it's been raging for a couple weeks now. Anyways, in response to your original question: the graphical advancement and hence the "innovation" that comes with it such as environments, AI, etc. is something that would automatically happen with time. We KNEW that the next gen consoles would have better components. The Xbox One would have provided new ways to buy, sell and trade games as well as share games and connect with our friends. It would have led to happier publishers and a lower closure rate for developments studios at the very least. See, the problem isn't that devs are getting shut down cause they make crap games, even studios making great games are closing down cause of the sales minimums that are now required with the increased cost of games, used games sales and huge games like COD and Battlefield taking away from people buying other games. All the PS4 does is give you better graphics. MS was trying to do more and push the industry (perhaps ahead of its time, although it did the same with broadband xbl) towards digital and give users more rights while keeping publishers happy. See, to me, it doesn't seem that hard to understand. Yes the 24 hour check-in was annoying but I always believed they were going to change that, thought I didn't see them folding and scrapping everything. Hope I answered your question (that sounds douche but i'm being serious.) Tell me though, did you at least read the article? It's a good read. These guys are gamers just like us. No one goes into gaming journalism to make money.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="percech"]MS was just trying to move the industry forward. It wasn't Sony who did it, it was all the entitled nerds on the internet.LevelInfinity
No one's entitled, sorry we actually want to own our **** games. **** us, right?

I know, right? I went 20 rounds with a couple of different people in the thread "Microsoft 180 something-something" over EULAs and property ownership.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="firefox59"] That's because picket is a moron who just made an account to bash the Xbox one and fanboy his way all around the forums supporting Sony. I've seen you post here for awhile now. Please don't give this user any credibility.

Alright, fair point. I just assumed you'd be somewhat versed in this argument since it's been raging for a couple weeks now. Anyways, in response to your original question: the graphical advancement and hence the "innovation" that comes with it such as environments, AI, etc. is something that would automatically happen with time. We KNEW that the next gen consoles would have better components. The Xbox One would have provided new ways to buy, sell and trade games as well as share games and connect with our friends. It would have led to happier publishers and a lower closure rate for developments studios at the very least. See, the problem isn't that devs are getting shut down cause they make crap games, even studios making great games are closing down cause of the sales minimums that are now required with the increased cost of games, used games sales and huge games like COD and Battlefield taking away from people buying other games. All the PS4 does is give you better graphics. MS was trying to do more and push the industry (perhaps ahead of its time, although it did the same with broadband xbl) towards digital and give users more rights while keeping publishers happy. See, to me, it doesn't seem that hard to understand. Yes the 24 hour check-in was annoying but I always believed they were going to change that, thought I didn't see them folding and scrapping everything. Hope I answered your question (that sounds douche but i'm being serious.) Tell me though, did you at least read the article? It's a good read. These guys are gamers just like us. No one goes into gaming journalism to make money.

I didn't read it, no. I was pretty annoyed. I can go toe-to-toe with someone all day, but dismissiveness really sets my teeth on edge. I'll be reading it soon now, though. (although my opinion on your last statement basically amounts to, "nobody gets into it for the money, sure, but they always end up wanting to keep their jobs more than their integrity.") As for the rest of it, I just can't understand- the move to digital would have accomplished nothing but to take the last vestiges of ownership away from you. Without a physical copy of the media, then we no longer would have a leg to stand against it on. I'm pretty anti EULA like that. They wanted to change how we buy and sell our games in order to control it. Frankly, I don't see any way in which that would have been a good thing. The cost of game development isn't rising because of the hardware advancement- it's because in order to push a game out every 10-14 months you have to hire three times as many people to make it. Or, like CoD's done, you have to hire twice as many people across two studios. CoD, Assassin's Creed and other annual releases are the reason development costs are skyrocketing. But in any case, I see how going digital could have lead to new online features and the grand game sharing scheme did sound cool, but how is that really anything revolutionary? Instead of only lending your games out to people you know, you could lend them to people on your friends list. I guess that answers the question, I just don't get it. I just can't wrap my head around how people think this was going to be a good thing for the consumer.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 firefox59
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] I didn't read it, no. I was pretty annoyed. I can go toe-to-toe with someone all day, but dismissiveness really sets my teeth on edge. I'll be reading it soon now, though. (although my opinion on your last statement basically amounts to, "nobody gets into it for the money, sure, but they always end up wanting to keep their jobs more than their integrity.") As for the rest of it, I just can't understand- the move to digital would have accomplished nothing but to take the last vestiges of ownership away from you. Without a physical copy of the media, then we no longer would have a leg to stand against it on. I'm pretty anti EULA like that. They wanted to change how we buy and sell our games in order to control it. Frankly, I don't see any way in which that would have been a good thing. The cost of game development isn't rising because of the hardware advancement- it's because in order to push a game out every 10-14 months you have to hire three times as many people to make it. Or, like CoD's done, you have to hire twice as many people across two studios. CoD, Assassin's Creed and other annual releases are the reason development costs are skyrocketing. But in any case, I see how going digital could have lead to new online features and the grand game sharing scheme did sound cool, but how is that really anything revolutionary? Instead of only lending your games out to people you know, you could lend them to people on your friends list. I guess that answers the question, I just don't get it. I just can't wrap my head around how people think this was going to be a good thing for the consumer.

It seems you just have a different opinion on the matter, but you do understand what MS was trying to do and that they were doing something different. Meanwhile, Sony was just riding the wave trying to pick up the people dejected from MS's new policies. Sony isn't doing anything new with there new console. That was the point. I mean they are still so far in the red over the Cell and the R&D for the PS3 so they didn't really have a choice. It doesn't really matter if you don't think it's a good thing or not, the industry WILL be all digital at a relatively sooner point, rather than later. Even people that hated MS's policies can admit that, it's just that people didn't like the way MS was doing it I guess. OR because Sony wasn't, they latched onto them instead, but it's going to happen MS was trying to go digital in a creative way that most consumers hadn't thought of. Let's just say for the sake of decency that none of us are idiots, cause we're not. What explains all the people that embraced and even praised MS's polices? It's because they saw the potential. It's like the people that latched onto Sony just didn't want to deal with it yet. I'll admit I hate the digital thing. I love having my physical copy and seeing all my games lined up on the shelf, but that didn't blind me from the inevitable future or the potential of what the Xbox One could have been. Now I have to get kind of mean, I think you are WAY off on the game development thing. Look at the plethora of quality studios that have put out 2 or 3 great games for an entire generation (Irrational, Gearbox, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Visceral, etc.) They aren't pushing out games every year like the two games you mentioned. Game development and marketing for games is getting more expensive. It just happens with new hardware and these larger and more complicated games were seeing. The reason COD and Assassin's Creed are pushed out every year is because they make a ton of money and require hardly any innovation. You may not like it but because of those games Activision could afford to put a crap ton into Destiny and Ubisoft brought The Division, Watch Dogs, and The Cew to E3. All NEW IP's that can't happen if a company is strapped for money.