Sometimes Xbox 360 doesn't recognise game discs, is this common?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NightComer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NightComer
Member since 2005 • 36 Posts

Hi there. Sometimes when I start up my X360 with a game in the drive, the game button just says "Open Tray" as if there isn't a disc. I thought it might be the lens so I got a lens cleaner and ran it a few times but it still happens. It doesn't happen all the time but its happened a number of times so I'm kind of concerned there's something wrong with the drive. My X360 is out of warranty and to get it serviced will cost $99 so I'd prefer avoiding that. But I'm just curious, is this a common problem? As in it could be a software error? Or is there a hardware fault with my X360? Thanks.

NightComer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NightComer
Oh and I just thought I'd mention, I'm a very careful owner with my games so most of my discs are scratchless and no smudges.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Hi there. Sometimes when I start up my X360 with a game in the drive, the game button just says "Open Tray" as if there isn't a disc. I thought it might be the lens so I got a lens cleaner and ran it a few times but it still happens. It doesn't happen all the time but its happened a number of times so I'm kind of concerned there's something wrong with the drive. My X360 is out of warranty and to get it serviced will cost $99 so I'd prefer avoiding that. But I'm just curious, is this a common problem? As in it could be a software error? Or is there a hardware fault with my X360? Thanks.

NightComer

It is a very common problem. It is usually referred to as the "Open Tray" error, because your drive does not recognize that there is a disc in the drive OR sometimes it thinks it is a media disc like a movie DVD. Lens cleaner might help (which in your case it did not)...There is not a single defined solution to this problem, but you should just mess with your console for a bit, like making sure you turn it off with no disc inside teh tray, unplug it, wait for a bit and then turn it on, wait for it to initialize and then put the disc in. Or you could also change the position of your console from horizontal to vertical or vice versa and then turn the console on and put the disc in...Just try different things, just so you can keep playin for a bit longer if you dont have the cash...

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Are you on Xbox Live? There was a recent fix for that.
NightComer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NightComer

Thanks for the info EvilSelf.

Yeah, I'm on Xbox Live. Latest dash update and everything.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EvilSelf

Thanks for the info EvilSelf.

Yeah, I'm on Xbox Live. Latest dash update and everything.

NightComer

No problem. There is a higher probability that the Open Tray error is hardware related than software so a soft update on XLIVE will not fix the issue.

I get that problem at least once every two months and resolve it by flippping my console (with no disc inside and turned off) from vertical to horizontal position and then turn it on and put the disc in it..Works for me but as i said it depends..

NightComer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NightComer

I'm considering getting a different lens cleaner thats more specific to the X360. Would you know if this one is any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GSM59U/sr=8-2/qid=1297799573/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1297799573&sr=8-2&seller=

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EvilSelf

I'm considering getting a different lens cleaner thats more specific to the X360. Would you know if this one is any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GSM59U/sr=8-2/qid=1297799573/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1297799573&sr=8-2&seller=

NightComer

To be honest, if it did not work the first time, a different type of lens cleaner is highly unlikely to solve the issue, but you can try of course.

NightComer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NightComer

Ok, thanks.

squiggles_pro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 squiggles_pro
Member since 2011 • 91 Posts
yeah im always getting the old "play movie" option when i put in my games.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
if its an option depending on your HDD size installing games does get around the problem since ive been doing that i havent seen the problem but when i play a game from the disc usually the problem occurs.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

As far as I now this is not a common thing to have happen in the xbox 360

Xanatos44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xanatos44
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Yeah, it's happened to me a couple times, just reboot the disc and its all good
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#14 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

it is common problem when your disc is dirty even a slight smudge would make it unreadable ,

and or damaged/scratched crack

if it does it for every single game and even a out of box brand new game

then its the dvd drive motor went out

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
I've had this for a long time. Only thing I know is to open/close tray for 15-30 minutes while surfing the net/playing something else. Eventually, it'll read. Before that, it'll usually get stuck 'reading', or read as a DVD or even a CD. Tried laser lens cleaner, didn't help.
rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

The Slim seems to have fixed this problem. Hasnt happend to me once in 2 months.

Nikojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Nikojin
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

This happened to me last night. I opened and closed the tray from the dashboard using the controller to start the game.

The funny thing is, a few days ago my girlfriend tried playing AC:Brotherhood but encountered the glitch. I watched as she took the disc out, blew on it NES style and loaded it back up. She's so cute :)

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

My xbox started having a hard time reading discs right before it got the rrod. I had it for about 3 years.