someone explain the appeal of gears to me please...

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beutiful and the dialouge is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but theres just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?
mattius1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 mattius1989
Member since 2003 • 1137 Posts

Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beutiful and the dialouge is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but theres just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?ninjaxams

Same here for the MP. Couldnt really enjoy it. finished the SP portion and wont be playing it again for a while tbh
imthebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 imthebadger
Member since 2006 • 54 Posts
I kind of half agree. Im not playing it at the mo, but will probably pick it up again when Ive done a couple of my other games. It IS amazing, don´t get me wrong, but it does suffer a little from repetition on your second run through. Online is another story, however.
 Also: Whose bloody stupid idea was it to put in that God-awful car bit? Take them outside to be euthanised, please, Epic.
mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
I would play it all the time if it werent for the bullet lag. When i hosted games it was one of the best online experiences, but it wasnt fair on everyone else...
ACESandElGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#5 ACESandElGHTS
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either... Do any of you feel this way?ninjaxams
Yes.  Single player was too short.  Multiplayer was too gay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
I never beat single player because it was boring.  I play it online because its a ok game and I have a lot of school friends on it.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
I tink it's cause it's purdy.
SilverArrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SilverArrows
Member since 2004 • 466 Posts
If you have a good group of friends to play with, online can be a lot of fun. It gets annoying to play with random ppl, like any other game.
TheTrueEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheTrueEdge
Member since 2006 • 1019 Posts
It's a great game. Great graphics, outstanding and fun gameplay. It's awesome online when you give it a few matches to get into and trying to improve. I've seen these people all the time. They keep thinking tactics that work in the single player, work online and they do it, get killed and say the multiplayer is crap.

When you like this type of game and give it a chance you will love it. I play it every single day since I got it in November.
Avatar image for wwwwwwwwwwwwRrX
wwwwwwwwwwwwRrX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wwwwwwwwwwwwRrX
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts

It's a great game. Great graphics, outstanding and fun gameplay. It's awesome online when you give it a few matches to get into and trying to improve. I've seen these people all the time. They keep thinking tactics that work in the single player, work online and they do it, get killed and say the multiplayer is crap.

When you like this type of game and give it a chance you will love it. I play it every single day since I got it in November.
TheTrueEdge

I disagree since I gave GoW multiplayer a chance and played the online for a good 2 months. Until then it got repetitive and boring. Soon I realized the game in my opinion is only eye candy w/ with great ideas of gameplay that didn’t come together properly. Don’t give me wrong GoW is not horrible, it’s still one of my favorite titles of yesteryear , but its not fun after playing it for a good 45+ hours.

And I defiantly don’t suck if that is what your going to suggest. Even though my stats aren’t mind blowing, an almost 2 kill ratio isn’t that bad :roll: what that’s actually pretty impressive

Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
I like the counter-strike type multiplayer. I especially like that you actually live past first sighting (unlike counter-strike). Every kill/death makes a significant impact, so you feel like you're actually accomplishing something every round.
Wii26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 Wii26
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts
Well I get extremely frustrated with the amount of glitching, crappy connections and insane host difference but i'm having a lot of fun because I generally do really well.
milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts
Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievements and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beautiful and the dialogue is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but there's just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?ninjaxams

Truth is that even if someone explained why it's appealing to them, you'll still won't like it. It's not for everyone, I'm enjoying the Lost Planet multi-player more than the GeOW MP. More variety, less lag and less a**holes.
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
Truth is that even if someone explained why it's appealing to them, you'll still won't like it.
milsvaard
exactly. someone out there probably liked that Barbie game at some point too....well, there was probably someone who did. it's all a personal choice. kind of dumb to have someone try to convince you what to like. if you'd rather follow though, that's your choice
JLei2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLei2k
Member since 2007 • 817 Posts
MP is fun defintely. But I agree with the guy that said the people who use the tactics that work in the single player will get them destroyed really quick in the multiplayer. A newbie playing with experienced players will be on the spectating screen almost all the time. 
Metalnoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Metalnoid
Member since 2006 • 1314 Posts
Well, when you become bored of GOW play the best game ever like me until you want play GOW again.
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts

MP is fun defintely. But I agree with the guy that said the people who use the tactics that work in the single player will get them destroyed really quick in the multiplayer. A newbie playing with experienced players will be on the spectating screen almost all the time. JLei2k

that's common sense though, people are more intelligent then AI so obviously it'll make a difference when you go online, i just don't understand those people who still try those single player tactics lol

Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
i agree with the TC, i might play single player one more time for insane and just get the achievements for the hell of it, but i mean everything you do in single player is useless in multiplayer i mean all it is shotgun host and race for the sniper and such, it can get boring very quickly
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ninjaxams
[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievements and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beautiful and the dialogue is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but there's just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?milsvaard

Truth is that even if someone explained why it's appealing to them, you'll still won't like it. It's not for everyone, I'm enjoying the Lost Planet multi-player more than the GeOW MP. More variety, less lag and less a**holes.

agreed LP MP>gears MP
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
agreed LP MP>gears MPninjaxams

x3
AL13NK1LL3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 AL13NK1LL3R
Member since 2005 • 1394 Posts
well i'm been playin gears since it came out and last month i quit cause the bullet lag. and well i still play cause u know its my fav game and its additin lol
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts
Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beutiful and the dialouge is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but theres just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?ninjaxams
what are you? Some kind of noob? Really if you can't find the appeal or fun factor, thats fine, but don't ask others to try to explain to you how to have fun. Thats just Ptarded
Comorat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Comorat
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts
So don't play it? Seriously, you have more than one game right? There are other games out there...you've beaten it, you're bored, move on.
bjl1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bjl1029
Member since 2006 • 410 Posts
I 100% agree, Rainbow 6 Vegas is a much better game than Gears. I actually just wrote a post about that
JLei2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JLei2k

[QUOTE="JLei2k"]MP is fun defintely. But I agree with the guy that said the people who use the tactics that work in the single player will get them destroyed really quick in the multiplayer. A newbie playing with experienced players will be on the spectating screen almost all the time. reubendarosa

that's common sense though, people are more intelligent then AI so obviously it'll make a difference when you go online, i just don't understand those people who still try those single player tactics lol

Well the game is vastly different SP than MP. Stand behind cover shoot a bit get back undercover compared to both teams rushing up to each other because of the shotty and grenades. Just staying back and taking cover doesn't work since you can get flanked from behind in MP but not in SP and when you are taking cover you can't see behind you.
bjl1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bjl1029
[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beutiful and the dialouge is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but theres just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?Danthegamingman
what are you? Some kind of noob? Really if you can't find the appeal or fun factor, thats fine, but don't ask others to try to explain to you how to have fun. Thats just Ptarded

The only thing that is more retarted is using words such as "Noob".
odamkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 odamkevin
Member since 2005 • 436 Posts
wow, ppl still have the free time to whine about gears?  if your bored of it, THATS GREAT!!! go play a different game and shut up about it, plz!!!
kambion313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kambion313
Member since 2006 • 712 Posts
the appeal is that its the best game of its kind... no other game has EVER had a better cover mechanic, its a fantastic game on hard difficulty where ever little encounter feels like a little multiplayer battle of its own, and thats unique in a single player game. Also the Y button. ...also the A button...name another game witha mechanic like that, that works as well.... The multplayer is AS GOOD as counter strike and has potential to be better. great graphics, better animations, an interesting world with an interesting style...\ It is a great game...you guys seem a lil burnt out on it.....
horang22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horang22
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I agree, been playing other online shooters mostly pc. that in long game sessions is indeed alot more entertaining. GOW is a great technical achievement but 2 short and too many glitches in MP.
JLei2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JLei2k
[QUOTE="kambion313"]the appeal is that its the best game of its kind... no other game has EVER had a better cover mechanic, its a fantastic game on hard difficulty where ever little encounter feels like a little multiplayer battle of its own, and thats unique in a single player game. Also the Y button. ...also the A button...name another game witha mechanic like that, that works as well.... The multplayer is AS GOOD as counter strike and has potential to be better. great graphics, better animations, an interesting world with an interesting style...\ It is a great game...you guys seem a lil burnt out on it.....

agreed Graphics was a big thing and it was a something other than a FPS which is all people have been playing on the Xbox since Halo. I actually think the cover mechanic works better in Rainbow Six as the A button can get frustrating at times but the control scheme is very good.
Avatar image for deactivated-59930af094f34
deactivated-59930af094f34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 deactivated-59930af094f34
Member since 2005 • 218 Posts

.... but i mean everything you do in single player is useless in multiplayer i mean all it is shotgun host and race for the sniper and such, it can get boring very quicklyMagna_Man109

You are soooo right.  I love the graphics, and kudos to them on the design of the characters, guns, etc .... but the MP is repetitive after a few weeks.

bjl1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bjl1029
[QUOTE="kambion313"]the appeal is that its the best game of its kind... no other game has EVER had a better cover mechanic, its a fantastic game on hard difficulty where ever little encounter feels like a little multiplayer battle of its own, and thats unique in a single player game. Also the Y button. ...also the A button...name another game witha mechanic like that, that works as well.... The multplayer is AS GOOD as counter strike and has potential to be better. great graphics, better animations, an interesting world with an interesting style...\ It is a great game...you guys seem a lil burnt out on it.....

I am sorry but I have to completely disagree with you. How is Gears cover system any different or superior to Rainbow 6:Vegas? I think alot of people are Brainwashed with Gears and make themselves love it because it seems to be the "In Game" to like right now. Because when you break it down Gears does nothing new really other then give us dark, grey decent looking visuals. If you took away the visuals ( which I was never really blown away by in the first place) and the chainsaw bayonet this game would be nothing.
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ninjaxams
[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beutiful and the dialouge is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but theres just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?Danthegamingman

noob? your serious? c'mon, the last thing I need is for some 12 year old trying to insult me.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Enough action in the single player??? Your kidding right what game you are playing then?? Because thats all the game is about is action, Seriously if you don't like the game then don't play it, I am tired of people whinning about games they don't like, We can't go through a week without someone crying about GEARS.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wizdom
[QUOTE="Danthegamingman"][QUOTE="ninjaxams"]Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beutiful and the dialouge is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but theres just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?ninjaxams

noob? your serious? c'mon, the last thing I need is for some 12 year old trying to insult me.

Actually he is right, If you don't like the game then don't play it, But don't knock other people because they like the game and you don't, and to call someone a 12 year old is a violation of the TOS and you should know this by now, People have a right to post their opinion about what you said, Imo.. like I said up above you don't like the game then don't play it plain and simple, Questions like these annoying, dumb and really serve no purpose but to annoy people.
Tom1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tom1243
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
Yeh, it is a fantastic game, the multiplayer didnt do much for me. I must of played ity for about a month. The SP was great fun, for at least 2 runs. Looking forward to GoW2 now, personally i am done with it Gears 1.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Quoted for the truth, for the most part.
NND1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NND1
Member since 2006 • 1416 Posts
Because It ROXXXXXX
LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LiquidZ08
Member since 2004 • 8820 Posts
Its not a bad game, I think your just bored with it ... so play something else (obvious solution).
edirol_sk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 edirol_sk8
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts
only reason you guys say the MP sucks (bar the lag occasionally) is that you suck at it. Have some practice, once you get good at it it's a good multiplyaer game. Better than anything else bar R6 imo.
Rev2221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rev2221
Member since 2003 • 369 Posts
to the op's post... i feel the same way. i thought it was really fun for the first play through. now im bored =(

the multiplayer is NOTHING special. i started playing it and was immediately pissed off. its like counterstrike 2 or something. its the same damn thing. everyone tries to go for the sniper rifle or the exploding arrow thing-- the one hit kill weapons. im not a person who plays that way- i like the good ol assault rifle. so im walking through the map and i either get sniped unexpectedly or i get one of those arrows stuck in me and get blown up. i played like 10 rounds, got frustrated and quit.

AerialRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AerialRevenge
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts

[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either... Do any of you feel this way?ACESandElGHTS

Yes.  Single player was too short.  Multiplayer was too gay.

Gotta love this guys point of view and way of expression. Not being sarcastic either.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I like the game but dont care to play it all that much anymore, the lag with the host advantage is so so so so annoying.
TuneSeeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 TuneSeeker
Member since 2006 • 127 Posts
to the op's post... i feel the same way. i thought it was really fun for the first play through. now im bored =(

the multiplayer is NOTHING special. i started playing it and was immediately pissed off. its like counterstrike 2 or something. its the same damn thing. everyone tries to go for the sniper rifle or the exploding arrow thing-- the one hit kill weapons. im not a person who plays that way- i like the good ol assault rifle. so im walking through the map and i either get sniped unexpectedly or i get one of those arrows stuck in me and get blown up. i played like 10 rounds, got frustrated and quit.

Rev2221
The "exploding arrow" thing is the torque bow, and uses some skill to use. And the sniper is only a one hit kill if you shoot them in the head, which is a lot more difficult to do than you are saying. So maybe you shouldn't stand straight up and stand still in the middle of the map, and you won't die AS fast...
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ninjaxams
[QUOTE="ninjaxams"][QUOTE="Danthegamingman"][QUOTE="ninjaxams"]Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beutiful and the dialouge is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but theres just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?wizdom

Actually he is right, If you don't like the game then don't play it, But don't knock other people because they like the game and you don't, and to call someone a 12 year old is a violation of the TOS and you should know this by now, People have a right to post their opinion about what you said, Imo.. like I said up above you don't like the game then don't play it plain and simple, Questions like these annoying, dumb and really serve no purpose but to annoy people.

Oh ok, like this place doesn't have enough rules as it is. Mod me if you want, I don't give a damn. thats pretty damn childish though. I'm sorry your life is so incomplete that you feel the need to help police these forums. And unless I'm mistaken he "knocked" me first. I have every right to defend myself and my opinion. If you don't like what I have to say, then leave my thread and don't post here.
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ninjaxams
only reason you guys say the MP sucks (bar the lag occasionally) is that you suck at it. Have some practice, once you get good at it it's a good multiplyaer game. Better than anything else bar R6 imo.edirol_sk8
no, it sucks because it has a severe lack of modes and only supports 8 players. its dull and host advantage is a joke.
djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
I bought Vegas before Gears and I loved Vegas.  I got Gears and was less than impressed.  It does look awesome, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the gameplay, but it just isn't as fun as R6V.  It's been collecting dust on the shelf while I do multiplayer in Vegas and single player in Crackdown
NrkSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NrkSaint
Member since 2004 • 4902 Posts
*On a side note about R6V
It's an awesome game, the singleplayer is actually pretty boring, but the multiplayer is pretty fun. I thought this for a couple weeks and then I got really bored with the multiplayer.  The co-op just got completely worn out playing levels over and over. So then I went to the team-based gametype and got bored with that rather quickly.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wizdom
[QUOTE="wizdom"][QUOTE="ninjaxams"][QUOTE="Danthegamingman"][QUOTE="ninjaxams"]Seriously, I can't play it anymore. I've played through it twice to get achievments and I bored with it. I can't get into the MP either. It has a severe lack of modes, a crummy community, and I hate the whole last man standing/counter strike thing. All this game is is glorified hide and seek. Its beutiful and the dialouge is hilarious, I'll give it that. I love the 4 main characters as well, but theres just not enough action in the SP for me. Do any of you feel this way?ninjaxams

Oh ok, like this place doesn't have enough rules as it is. Mod me if you want, I don't give a damn. thats pretty damn childish though. I'm sorry your life is so incomplete that you feel the need to help police these forums. And unless I'm mistaken he "knocked" me first. I have every right to defend myself and my opinion. If you don't like what I have to say, then leave my thread and don't post here.

My life isn't in complete at all, calling people names is chidish and immature to top it off and I didn't even mark you at all so calm down, personally I prefer Vegas over Gears, but I don't feel the need to come to the board and ask people why they like a game just because I don't like the game, Its call a opinion learn what it means my friend.. and I can post anywhere that I want to so stop acting like a baby because people don't agree with you plain and simple... grow up.... I hate when people like you get all defensive and start name calling because people don't agree with your views on a game.