Really disappointed in Fallout 3

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 0

#1 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts

I like WRPGs, I like shooters, I love games like ME that give you dialogue choices, so I thought Fallout 3 would be great, especially after the reviews.... And I was hooked on it for about 10 hours to see where the story was going.

But what makes games utterly boring to me, like Fallout 3, is there are no new gameplay mechanics introduced throughout the game. After awhile it feels like been there, done that. All you do is level up in F3, get access to a little better armor and guns, but the story ends real quick and quite disappointing to me, and thats it. Am I the only one who felt this way?

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I like WRPGs, I like shooters, I love games like ME that give you dialogue choices, so I thought Fallout 3 would be great, especially after the reviews.... And I was hooked on it for about 10 hours to see where the story was going.

But what makes games utterly boring to me, like Fallout 3, is there are no new gameplay mechanics introduced throughout the game. After awhile it feels like been there, done that. All you do is level up in F3, get access to a little better armor and guns, but the story ends real quick and quite disappointing to me, and thats it. Am I the only one who felt this way?

skreetpreacha

Man, i think you are one of the few people here that feels this way. Conicidentaly, i am playing Fallout 3 right now. it is my second playthrough. I am on my 70th hour and i have not even done 20 % of the main story yet. I am roaming around, doing side missions, enjoying the huge world. I enjoy collecting schematics building my own weapons making money etc...Fallout 3 is an amazing game! You get the feeling you live inside the game. There are so many things you could do. I guess you get as much as you put in.

As far as dialog options, you get fair deal of how you want the dialog to play out. Plus, this game is rediculously funny!

I am actually going to finish up and i will be posting my stats in this game here on the forum so i can get some opinions on how i did...

But seriously, you need to put more hours into it and forget the main story for a while, do everything else, explore everything, raise your level and then finish up the game...

it is a very enjoyable experience...plus those bobbleheads are just so fun to seek out at first...

EvilSelf...

StarFire571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 StarFire571
Member since 2009 • 1215 Posts

skreetpreacha
Fallout 3 isin't a game where you spend hours looking for loot. It is more about just wandering around the game world meeting new people and discovering new places. For example, on my first playthrough, I was wandering around for a while, and then I stumbled on a large building, I went inside and fought off a huge robot, and then procedded to pick up his flamethrower, which I used later to kill an army of bandits. Ignore the main story for a while
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#4 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
To me, the game is about exploring the great landscapes and figuring out new ways to approach every fight. Besides, were you not at least a LITTLE impressed by VATS?
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I like Fallout 3 but it does have downsides.

I main story is bad. They just switch Oblivion combat to have range more important. THe VATS is nice at first but after a while it get boring and slower that a turn base game.

Kiuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kiuk
Member since 2004 • 2250 Posts
I disagree entirely, even though its not a game meant for everyone, to say that there's nothing to do its blasphemy. The main story sucks, its all about the sidequests your way around them, and exploring the world, got more than 370hours into it, and i still find something to do, go out explore , there are even sidequests which don't even appear in the quest menu and they're a great bunch.
BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts

I agree with u about the story part...since iam a huge fan of the previous fallouts i can say that they left some prettyimportant stuff out (not saying which though)....btw i finished the game full achievments in like 30 hours...lol...more than that...i'd say i'd get super bored...

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

skreetpreacha

I believe you may have been expecting the game to be more linear. You have to take advantage of the openess of the game. There are so many side-quests, so many weapons to create, so many people to meet, so many things to do. You just have to look at it like you're not just going to play through a linear story, you need to be willing to like the game for the intrinsic value that it creates.

ahoberer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 ahoberer78
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

You have to explore, ignore the main quest. There are endless side quests for the main game and i think five explansions for the game, I played over 100 hours and still haven't played any of the expansions.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
Game sucks. I played it over TWENTY freakin hours before I said, I just can't do it anymore! I finish every game I buy, but not that piece.. VATS was annoying as hell.
mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#11 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts

I did not enjoy Fallout 3 at all.The shooting and gameplay sucked, and I agree with the whole all you do in fallout is level up and it gets really boring really fast.My advice is to pick up Oblivion.

Debus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Debus42
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts

Wow, I absolutely loved Fallout 3. The only thing that annoyed me was the level cap. I reached level 30 in like, 60 hours, and I clocked up 70 hours in total. Could have done more, but i'm playing it through again at the moment with bad Karma because different missions are available. As others have said, the main plot isn't a masterpiece, but the exploration was really fun, and finding all the crazy people in the wastes to help or end, hours of fun in my opinion.

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#13 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
To me, the game is about exploring the great landscapes and figuring out new ways to approach every fight. Besides, were you not at least a LITTLE impressed by VATS?orb_03_2006
The VATS sucks, i hope they never put that in any game again
Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts
I was pretty excited about it, and even read a bunch of Post-Apoc fiction before playing it. Then when the first rat jumped at me, my mind just said "This is Oblivion. Youve played this". I got out of the vault... looked at the vast barren landscape... and my mood matched the scenery. Thats as far as i got.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#15 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

i felt the exact same way as you TC, you're not the only one. I still couldnt believe i managed to stick through for 18 hours...and most of that time was me trying to convince myself i enjoyed the experience. but really, i didnt like it at all.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts

i felt the exact same way as you TC, you're not the only one. I still couldnt believe i managed to stick through for 18 hours...and most of that time was me trying to convince myself i enjoyed the experience. but really, i didnt like it at all.

chex81
Exactly. It's funny how many of us played it for over like 10 years TRYING to enjoy it, and still didn't.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chex81

[QUOTE="chex81"]

fastr

Exactly. It's funny how many of us played it for over like 10 years TRYING to enjoy it, and still didn't.

its because everyone was drooling over it and the rest of us were trying to find that 'trigger' "oh, now i get it...AWESOME". A lot of my buddies who finished it and clocked 40+ hours in the end said the experience was average. LOL, im glad i gave up half way through...but i guess i can see the appeal some gamers may take from it.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EvilSelf

Well, i played Oblivion before Fallout 3 and now i cannot even think playing Oblivion again.

Teh game is great but the fact that your enemies level up as you level up is plain stupid...

Fallout 3 is by far the better game, according to me...

EvilSelf...

jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

I think Fallout3 is an awesome game. Although coming form Borderlands/ Demon Souls I have to say the menu navigation is clunky.

lib4m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lib4m
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

I started with fallout3, completed the maiin story, did some some side quests and cloced about 80 hours, THEN i played oblivion and found it to be much more emersive in terms of gameplay, but after about 200 hours or so on oblivion, I went back to fallout3, but only once i got the GOTY edition, mainly for the level raise and additional areas to explore, i dont think i would have played through fallout3 again if it wasnt for the GOTY edition.

Having said that, these games are less about the main story and what you are given to do, they are about doin what YOU want to do in them, explore, make up your own back story, do something unexpected with the NPC's etc etc

and if your still bored, then try and d o everything the opposite way than what you would normally, hell go on a rampage and kill as many NPC's as you can before you die or somthing, I just dont think these games warrent ''oh it sucked!'' look at the amount of work that went into creating these worlds, if it 'sucks' then your not exploring everything you can do within the software, its just closed minded, uninspired gaming

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

[QUOTE="orb_03_2006"]To me, the game is about exploring the great landscapes and figuring out new ways to approach every fight. Besides, were you not at least a LITTLE impressed by VATS?mrsniper83

Thats what turned me off on the game. It looked really corny and no skill envolved

TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheMightyHoov
Member since 2009 • 2459 Posts

[QUOTE="mrsniper83"][QUOTE="orb_03_2006"]To me, the game is about exploring the great landscapes and figuring out new ways to approach every fight. Besides, were you not at least a LITTLE impressed by VATS?BLAS1AN

Thats what turned me off on the game. It looked really corny and no skill envolved

Well deal with it because it will be in New Vegas :P

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

I thought the story was pretty good. I've played it through a few times and discovered something new each time I did. Like most other people are saying, the point of Fallout 3 is to explore the world. Some of the best times I've had on the 360 were where I've just walked aimlessly around the wasteland and stumbled upon something unusual and totally unexpected (anyone see the Ghoul with the plunger house?). I was really impressed with VATs and thought it was done very well. I reckon F3 is by far the best game to come out this gen.

TC, what were you expecting from the game?

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

I stopped playing Oblivion after I got out of the sewer... yet Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games. Different strokes for different folks.

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skreetpreacha

[QUOTE="skreetpreacha"]

EvilSelf

Man, i think you are one of the few people here that feels this way. Conicidentaly, i am playing Fallout 3 right now. it is my second playthrough. I am on my 70th hour and i have not even done 20 % of the main story yet. I am roaming around, doing side missions, enjoying the huge world. I enjoy collecting schematics building my own weapons making money etc...Fallout 3 is an amazing game! You get the feeling you live inside the game. There are so many things you could do. I guess you get as much as you put in.

As far as dialog options, you get fair deal of how you want the dialog to play out. Plus, this game is rediculously funny!

I am actually going to finish up and i will be posting my stats in this game here on the forum so i can get some opinions on how i did...

But seriously, you need to put more hours into it and forget the main story for a while, do everything else, explore everything, raise your level and then finish up the game...

it is a very enjoyable experience...plus those bobbleheads are just so fun to seek out at first...

EvilSelf...

i finished the game in about 25 hours, thats kind of the point of my post. spent probably another 5 hours just exploring and side questing, but there are NO NEW GAME MECHANICS, its just the same thing, which is utterly boring to me

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skreetpreacha

To me, the game is about exploring the great landscapes and figuring out new ways to approach every fight. Besides, were you not at least a LITTLE impressed by VATS?orb_03_2006

not at all... wow, i get to pause the game and get off a wopping 3 hits in slow mo on an enemy... it was decent at first, but again, gets old aftera few times... now if i had to do things to build up my AP and unleash different combos n such, that woulda been better (like Limit Breaks in FF)

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skreetpreacha

[QUOTE="skreetpreacha"]

StarFire571

Fallout 3 isin't a game where you spend hours looking for loot. It is more about just wandering around the game world meeting new people and discovering new places. For example, on my first playthrough, I was wandering around for a while, and then I stumbled on a large building, I went inside and fought off a huge robot, and then procedded to pick up his flamethrower, which I used later to kill an army of bandits. Ignore the main story for a while

ya, that was fun for the first few hours, but it get old real quick, and i usually love exploring in games, but this one is so dull and repetitive

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

[QUOTE="skreetpreacha"]

EvilSelf

EvilSelf...

Yeah, it's fun for about 5 playthroughs, and then gets extremely old, repetitive and boring. Once you do all the quests, explore everywhere and get all DLCs, there's not much incentive to play the game again. The boring story, terrible voice acting, grey atmosphere and hordes of bugs and glitches just stop any replayability once you've tried everything.

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skreetpreacha

u guys r kind of right... yes, exploring was fun at first, but since it just rinses and repeats itself, it got old to me after a little while...

for me, if the sidequests and enemies and dungeons/buildings were more varied and rewarding and the landscape was more populated and not so grey and dull, and of course if it introduce new gameplay mechanics throughout, it would have been a much better game for me.

and ya, the voice acting was pretty bad only because they had the same voice actor doing several different characters lol... I always love Liam Neesons voice tho :D

and the story wasnt that bad to me, just short and non rewarding

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#30 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Yeah, it's fun for about 5 playthroughs, and then gets extremely old, repetitive and boring. Once you do all the quests, explore everywhere and get all DLCs, there's not much incentive to play the game again. The boring story, terrible voice acting, grey atmosphere and hordes of bugs and glitches just stop any replayability once you've tried everything.

N7v1K0
Only five playthroughs? Yeah, worthless game.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

DJ_Lae

Yeah really, should be at least 10.

D0ub13_5c0r3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 D0ub13_5c0r3
Member since 2009 • 2084 Posts
I'm like on my 7th playthrough and put over 250 hours in this game. To me, it hasn't gotten boring yet. I agree that the main story is not worth it, but going through the Wastlenad and all of the DLC is stillamazing to me. I finally got the Alien Archivist Achievement like last week, which brings me to getting all of them for Fallout 3.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#33 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

skreetpreacha
I didn't think it was that great. The environment was boring, the story short and uninteresting, the gameplay was too easy and the shooting wasn't good, vats was good but it wasn't used strategically like in the other Fallout games. Exploring isn't interesting because you never meet interesting people or have good choices to make, it falls short of Fallout 2 in every possibly way.
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

DJ_Lae

Is that sarcasm?

When I buy an RPG, I expect a lot of replay value. 5 playthroughs isn't much, I've cleared Mass Effect 1 nearly six times more than that (since May '08), and I'm not bored yet.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chex81

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

N7v1K0

Is that sarcasm?

When I buy an RPG, I expect a lot of replay value. 5 playthroughs isn't much, I've cleared Mass Effect 1 nearly six times more than that (since May '08), and I'm not bored yet.

lol, i would still consider 5 playthroughs worth your money...if you disagree, wow. What games this generation have you played through more than 5 times?

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EvilSelf

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

N7v1K0

Is that sarcasm?

Ok, comparing Mass Effect to Fallout 3 is not suitable here. In Mass Effect you can clear everything in about 40 hours +/-. In order to clear everything in Fallout 3 you need 3 times more. The two games are different: Mass Effect is more of a shooter (especially 2), Fallout 3 is more of a RPG. If you want to compare Fallout 3, maybe Oblivion would be the best choice. Even though Oblivion's leveling system sucked. I played it first and once i tried Fallout 3 i forgot about Oblivion. I do not know why pretty much everybody is complaining that the game is grey and dull-looking...Well, duh, it is Post-Apocalyptic scenery...I really liked it actually: you kinda get the feeling it is you against the world (go out there and survive).

I cannot wait for Fallout: New Vegas. At least we will get some color and not just grey environment...Ha ha

EvilSelf...

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] Only five playthroughs? Yeah, worthless game.chex81

Is that sarcasm?

lol, i would still consider 5 playthroughs worth your money...if you disagree, wow. What games this generation have you played through more than 5 times?

RPGs should deliver more than 5 interesting playthroughs, but non-RPG genres usually make up for short or uninteresting campaigns with good multiplayer. The time spent in this multiplayer, plus a campaign clearance, usually equals the length of more than 5 playthroughs of that particluar game for me.

Btw, in my previous post, where it says (since May'08) it should say (since May '08 ). Damned GlitchSpot won't let me edit my post

Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

I thought it was one of the better games released this gen. These types of games don't need to introduce new mechanics father into a game, its like an fps with rpg elements.

aca247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 aca247
Member since 2010 • 206 Posts
I am currently playing it and love it. But I think i will like new vegas alot more
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DJ_Lae

N7v1K0

It's still pretty good value for your money (doubly so if you managed to pick up the GOTY edition cheap). I don't know how you managed to play through the first ME six times without getting bored, though...less changes in that game than Fallout 3. I managed three or four playthroughs of it and most of those were due to me achivement whoring at the time. One evil female playthrough and one good male playthrough and you've seen all the game has to offer, especially with the combat the way it is.

In an era where we get a ton of forgettable sub 8 hour action games, getting so much out of these big RPGs is a nice change.

edit - holy HELL. Eleven times? Okay, that's even weirder. I guess it's just down to personal preference, then, but I still don't see how five runs through Fallout 3 constitute poor value.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

DJ_Lae

It's still pretty good value for your money (doubly so if you managed to pick up the GOTY edition cheap). I don't know how you managed to play through the first ME six times without getting bored, though...less changes in that game than Fallout 3. I managed three or four playthroughs of it and most of those were due to me achivement whoring at the time. One evil female playthrough and one good male playthrough and you've seen all the game has to offer, especially with the combat the way it is.

In an era where we get a ton of forgettable sub 8 hour action games, getting so much out of these big RPGs is a nice change.

edit - holy HELL. Eleven times? Okay, that's even weirder. I guess it's just down to personal preference, then, but I still don't see how five runs through Fallout 3 constitute poor value.

5x6=11? :P

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DJ_Lae

N7v1K0
Okay, I was thinking more literally than that, as in six more playthroughs. If you played the first Mass Effect 30 times then I have no words. :P
N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N7v1K0

[QUOTE="N7v1K0"]

DJ_Lae

Okay, I was thinking more literally than that, as in six more playthroughs. If you played the first Mass Effect 30 times then I have no words. :P

It was over the course of 2 years, remember? :P So it was nearly 1.5 playthroughs per month

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#44 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

great game... was hooked when it was first released... finally picked it up once again last weekend to start a second play through.. still enjoying it.

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
I loved Oblivion, put in a good 125 hours in that. i thought I would do the same for fallout 3 but I was wrong...I found it boring and couldnt bother to finish it. It was just too slow paced
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

I think the game was really great BUT for some reason I stopped playing after

MEGA SPOILER

you rescue your father and then he dies. I'm at the large building you arrive after escaping from your father's killers.

END OF SPOILER.

TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheMightyHoov
Member since 2009 • 2459 Posts

I do love Fallout 3 but its main story was pretty meh. I had most of my fun exploring and and doing the side quests.

tt_rss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tt_rss
Member since 2005 • 59 Posts

I personally thought Fallout 3 was complete garbage. It has a large world, but it is terribly uninspired, the combat is boring(I can't think of any game with FPS combat that is so bad and unsatisfying), the 'choices' are meaningless and from what i can gather in this thread, the story sucked too(I couldn't bear playing it long enough to find out). It seems difficult to find redeeming qualities. The only one lies in the massive game world that a lot of people seem mysteriously drawn towards. How anyone would want to spend more than an hour or two exploring it is inconceivable to me, but I guess that's what gaming has become.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
I didn't like VATS. I hardly used it or cared to use it. I was never a fan of Bethesda to begin with so Fallout 3 as a disappointment didn't come as a surprised. The story campaign had me going for a bit but I eventually lost interest. Maybe the off-paced, open-world aspect didn't excite me too much and rubbish animation and dated gameplay. At times, I felt like I was playing Oblivion and I really, really hate Oblivion with a passion. All my opinion of course. To each their own.
Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

I personally thought Fallout 3 was complete garbage. It has a large world, but it is terribly uninspired, the combat is boring(I can't think of any game with FPS combat that is so bad and unsatisfying), the 'choices' are meaningless and from what i can gather in this thread, the story sucked too(I couldn't bear playing it long enough to find out). It seems difficult to find redeeming qualities. The only one lies in the massive game world that a lot of people seem mysteriously drawn towards. How anyone would want to spend more than an hour or two exploring it is inconceivable to me, but I guess that's what gaming has become.

tt_rss
You pretty much hit the nail on the head here. I completely agree.