Rage or Dark Souls?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Both coming out on the same days, both epic games. Personally, I am going with Dark Souls, but what about you guys? I imagine most players will be going with Rage, but is there anyone else who will be braving the dark world of Lordran with me?

Deathx56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Deathx56
Member since 2009 • 82 Posts

Grabbing both! Rage on the ps3 and Dark souls for both consoles.

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
Already have Dark Souls preordered and I'm dying to play it. I'm not really interested in Rage.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
rage on ps3 and dark souls(xbox360&ps3) i cant wait i all ready preordered all of them
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm buying Rage for the PS3.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
You should get Rage, I am going to be getting it for my Xbox 360.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Rage for 360

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

ahh i play them next year. im all ready over my head in games right now.

dead island, gears 3 i need to beat, I havn't even started the campaign the MP has been so fun.

then i got skirim, bf3, nfs, all pre ordered, i will be sitting on those games for a while.

If i had to choose onje now it be rage

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Essian
its amazing how many people are REPLYING Rage, but there is only one rage vote... odd
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Dark Souls looks to be another cakewalk of a game so I don't think many people are going to get it. I mean with today's games that need some kind of longevity are people going to spend top dollar getting a game that's easy enough to beat in a weekend and then not play again except for the bogus "this is happening this weekend" events they throw at the users trying to garner interest?

That's one of the problems when you make a game so simple, it's demand isn't that high when it launches because people will be through it so fast

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I'm getting Dark Souls but I'm going to get it on PS3. I'll eventually get Rage. I'll get the PC version of Rage, though.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
rage on ps3 and dark souls(xbox360&ps3) i cant wait i all ready preordered all of them CTR360
Why buy it for both consoles?
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
Dark Souls, without question. I honestly don't expect Rage to be good, despite all the hype.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Essian
Dark Souls, without question. I honestly don't expect Rage to be good, despite all the hype.homegirl2180
I think it will be GOOD, just not nearly as unique. Dark Souls is going to be one of the unflinchingly hard and unique RPGs the market has ever seen, whereas Rage is just going to be another good open world FPS. Definitely worth getting, but not when stacked up against Dark Souls imo
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
[QUOTE="homegirl2180"]Dark Souls, without question. I honestly don't expect Rage to be good, despite all the hype.Essian
I think it will be GOOD, just not nearly as unique. Dark Souls is going to be one of the unflinchingly hard and unique RPGs the market has ever seen, whereas Rage is just going to be another good open world FPS. Definitely worth getting, but not when stacked up against Dark Souls imo

id hasn't done a new game since Doom 3, and that was 7 years ago and wasn't spectacular. Just because it's on Breaking Bad doesn't mean it's gold. :P It will probably be a better-than-decent FPS, but it won't be anything special.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="homegirl2180"]Dark Souls, without question. I honestly don't expect Rage to be good, despite all the hype.Essian

What?

Dark Souls is a water down, more mainstream version of Demon Souls which is one of the easiest games around

How exactly do you see it being hard in any possible way?

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Essian

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="homegirl2180"]Dark Souls, without question. I honestly don't expect Rage to be good, despite all the hype.Jaysonguy

What?

Dark Souls is a water down, more mainstream version of Demon Souls which is one of the easiest games around

uhhh... every preview of the game and the developer have all reported that Dark Souls be significantly harder than Demon's Souls was... so your assessment of it goes against EVERYTHING we have seen and heard of the game so far.
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I'm going with Rage, but not on day 1. I'll wait for a price drop on Amazon. I plan to pick up NBA 2K12 on 10/4 instead.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 firefox59

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Essian"] I think it will be GOOD, just not nearly as unique. Dark Souls is going to be one of the unflinchingly hard and unique RPGs the market has ever seen, whereas Rage is just going to be another good open world FPS. Definitely worth getting, but not when stacked up against Dark Souls imoEssian

What?

uhhh... every preview of the game and the developer have all reported that Dark Souls be significantly harder than Demon's Souls was... so your assessment of it goes against EVERYTHING we have seen and heard of the game so far.

It's people's perception of what is "hard" or difficult. Having you restart a level doesn't make a game hard its just stupid. The gameplay itself isn't actually that difficult as long as you don't rush into battle and get surrounded. Demon Souls' difficulty was so overrated. Once you got a decent healing spell and could use magic it was just another RPG. Yeah Rage is kinda like another FPS but it does have a lot of new things that other games haven't had.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="homegirl2180"]Dark Souls, without question. I honestly don't expect Rage to be good, despite all the hype.Jaysonguy

What?

I guess you are superior in games then. Cheers to you!

As for the original post, I'll probably end up getting Rage before Dark Souls. I do not think I'll buy either of them right away though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Getting Dark Souls on the 360, and am waiting for reviews on Rage. If I do decide to get it it'll be on the PC.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#22 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
I'm getting Rage, it looks great and I always been supportiv of id software
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I thought Dark Souls was suppose to make Demon's Souls seem like a walk in the park? It's suppose to be much more difficult and intense, no? Anyways.. is there a reason to get the Xbox 360 version over the PS3 version? Because, I'm planning the PS3 version.. It just feels "right" on the PS3 when it comes to Dark Souls. You know what.. nevermind.. I think I'll get it on the 360.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Essian

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

What?

firefox59

It's people's perception of what is "hard" or difficult. Having you restart a level doesn't make a game hard its just stupid. The gameplay itself isn't actually that difficult as long as you don't rush into battle and get surrounded. Demon Souls' difficulty was so overrated. Once you got a decent healing spell and could use magic it was just another RPG. Yeah Rage is kinda like another FPS but it does have a lot of new things that other games haven't had.

so you saying that having to restart a whole level is just stupid isn't also a perception? Was demon's souls absolutely impossible? No, it wasn't. But it demanded a much larger amount of pause and caution than most games nowadays do. I felt thoroughly challenged, and unlike in other games, I ALWAYS felt my deaths were fair because I didn't know what I was doing, or because I screwed up. It's all about difference of opinion, and I think Rage has nothing on the innovation of Dark Souls, but again, that is just me.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#25 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I'm getting both but would rather have Dark Souls.
bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bessy67
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts

Dark Souls. I'll eventually pick up Rage, but I won't spend $60 for a fps with no competitive multiplayer aside from vehicle combat.

famunda666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 famunda666
Member since 2010 • 167 Posts

They both look awesome, but I'd go with RAGE. Loved Demon Souls, but Damn Dark Souls is going to be harder....just don't know if I have it in me lol. Maybe you do! Ah hell get both lol.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

[QUOTE="Essian"] uhhh... every preview of the game and the developer have all reported that Dark Souls be significantly harder than Demon's Souls was... so your assessment of it goes against EVERYTHING we have seen and heard of the game so far. Essian

so you saying that having to restart a whole level is just stupid isn't also a perception? Was demon's souls absolutely impossible? No, it wasn't. But it demanded a much larger amount of pause and caution than most games nowadays do. I felt thoroughly challenged, and unlike in other games, I ALWAYS felt my deaths were fair because I didn't know what I was doing, or because I screwed up. It's all about difference of opinion, and I think Rage has nothing on the innovation of Dark Souls, but again, that is just me.

Well the thread is about Rage vs. Dark souls, your opinion that Rage has no innovation is your own so.... But I will comment on your first question. The level restart thing is similar to what Dead Space 2 did with the 3 saves feature. While its an opinion its an opinion that many many people share in the industry along with me. Having crazy insane checkpoints is annoying and bothersome, it doesn't make a game difficult. You just have to replay large sections of the game repeatedly and that becomes a waste of time.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Have both pre ordered..Ive been following rage since ive heard about it..Franly i cant wait for this sixth to try it out..Im also picking up dark souls..Why because of my love of rgps..How ever this week im also picking up xmen..Its different..So ill let yall know how that is also ).

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Dark Souls. RPGs like it are few and far between. Shooters are a dime a dozen.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

RAGE looks great so far

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

Prob rage, I dont see myself realisticly beating Dark Souls.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

Yeah prolly gonna get Dark Souls on Xbox 360, most definitely getting Rage but will most likely get it for PC.

samclockwise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 samclockwise
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts
if you want to die alot get dark souls. if u liked boarderlands get rage. I say wait and get batman arkham city
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#35 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Both. I don't know if I'll pick them up right away, but I really want both games.

dinjo_jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#36 dinjo_jo
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts
Rage on PC , DarkSouls on PS3
jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts

I'm definitely getting Dark Souls and I'm waiting for reviews on Rage to decide whether to buy or rent.

Avatar image for DarkBalta_basic
DarkBalta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkBalta_basic
Member since 2002 • 3861 Posts

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="firefox59"]

firefox59

Well the thread is about Rage vs. Dark souls, your opinion that Rage has no innovation is your own so.... But I will comment on your first question. The level restart thing is similar to what Dead Space 2 did with the 3 saves feature. While its an opinion its an opinion that many many people share in the industry along with me. Having crazy insane checkpoints is annoying and bothersome, it doesn't make a game difficult. You just have to replay large sections of the game repeatedly and that becomes a waste of time.

Uhhh.. It requires a little something called consistency. Unlike most games where each fight only "means" the last 2 minutes of your time, (if you lose, you lose 2 minutes of gameplay, youre right back in the fight) Demon's Souls said no to that.. You need to play well, all the time, or risk losing 15-20 minutes of time. Nothing wrong with that. The game had risk. And it made each encounter more frightening and exciting for it. Just because you dont "get it", doesnt mean you need to rip on the concepts the game was pushing, they are novel, and they are worth looking into by the industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

What's the point on getting the same game for more than 1 platform??

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
[QUOTE="CTR360"]rage on ps3 and dark souls(xbox360&ps3) i cant wait i all ready preordered all of them firefox59
Why buy it for both consoles?

because for two reason first iam collector and second i want both console versions
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I'll be getting Rage.

I have absolutely no interest in Dark Souls...played the first, no interest in the second. I play games for fun, not to prove something.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Essian

I'll be getting Rage.

I have absolutely no interest in Dark Souls...played the first, no interest in the second. I play games for fun, not to prove something.

coasterguy65
kind of a harsh assumption... maybe there are those of us who just enjoy tougher games? and maybe those same people don't want yet another FPS of this generation
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

I'll be getting Rage.

Essian

kind of a harsh assumption... maybe there are those of us who just enjoy tougher games? and maybe those same people don't want yet another FPS of this generation

The game isn't tougher, it's just slower

The game is simplistic remember and repeat gameplay. You progress slowly waiting for whatever bad guy to come up, you learn his opening, then you kill him.

I mean the game itself is broken where you can't even pause during boss battles, that's not an added feature but a problem that the always on connectivity clashes with pausing during those particular battles.

The game is a memory game with some quick time events all wrapped around a very dated and broken design.

tommiesten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tommiesten
Member since 2011 • 34 Posts

when i had a ps3 i wanted demon souls for a long time, but since i was a student all my money went on beer soo i never got it and sold my ps3. now ive just got an xbox again (sold that too) im probably gonna go with dark souls

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

Literally no interest in Rage so getting Dark Souls.

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

I'll be getting Rage.

Jaysonguy

The game is simplistic remember and repeat gameplay. You progress slowly waiting for whatever bad guy to come up, you learn his opening, then you kill him.

I mean the game itself is broken where you can't even pause during boss battles, that's not an added feature but a problem that the always on connectivity clashes with pausing during those particular battles.

The game is a memory game with some quick time events all wrapped around a very dated and broken design.

Memory game with some quick time events all wrapped around a very dated and broken design..? What? How is the design broken at all? It's a back to roots kinda rpg. The fact that it is merciless, headache inducing, and meticulous adds to the thrill. I fail to see how there is ANYTHING wrong with its design to the extent that it's 'broken and dated.' Seems the only thing you were able to cherry pick was the fact that you cannot pause. Minor annoyance at best for most. The game is filled with a multitude of creatures, having to learn their weaknesses and take advantage of them isn't always simple. Some enemies roll quickly, or throw sudden swipes which requires precise timing.Trial and error is present, but so is skill.Making such generalizations about the combat could EASILY apply to hundreds of other games out today. Perhaps it's not your type of game, that's alright, but your absolute hate and senseless bashing is a joke.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Essian

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

I'll be getting Rage.

Jaysonguy

The fact that you can't pause during boss battles isn't a faulty design element, it was a careful choice. They wanted to make sure you couldn't break the action, and had to see it through to the end. However, you can quit the game at ANY time without losing even a single moment of progress. Furthermore, the game is meant to be a process of trial and error, of learning and adjusting. It was designed much in the way of the old NES games, where beating bosses and foes meant learning patterns rather than just holding down the trigger and sucking up mass damage like a bullet shield *cough* Rage *cough*. You want to talk about boring? Let's talk about ANOTHER first person shooter. Oh boy, this one has even better graphics, oh boy, this game has nice animations, oh boy, this game is open world. Let's toss it on the pile with the other 9000000 FPS games this generation. Do you know WHY devs keep making FPS games? It's actually really simple. Every FPS game has the same basic controls and mechanics. You pick up a gun, you aim it, and you shoot people. It eliminates the extraneous learning process of a game like Dark Souls. So you go ahead and have fun with your next assembly line game, and the rest of us will go have fun with an actual innovative game. But you keep flinging out false criticism all you want.
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and Gears of war3 are my priorities. If it's still in the budget after that, maybe one or both of those. Gears3 is AWESOME, BTW. Pretty sure the other two will be also.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 firefox59
[QUOTE="mr_zombie60"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

kind of a harsh assumption... maybe there are those of us who just enjoy tougher games? and maybe those same people don't want yet another FPS of this generationEssian

Memory game with some quick time events all wrapped around a very dated and broken design..? What? How is the design broken at all? It's a back to roots kinda rpg. The fact that it is merciless, headache inducing, and meticulous adds to the thrill. I fail to see how there is ANYTHING wrong with its design to the extent that it's 'broken and dated.' Seems the only thing you were able to cherry pick was the fact that you cannot pause. Minor annoyance at best for most. The game is filled with a multitude of creatures, having to learn their weaknesses and take advantage of them isn't always simple. Some enemies roll quickly, or throw sudden swipes which requires precise timing.Trial and error is present, but so is skill.Making such generalizations about the combat could EASILY apply to hundreds of other games out today. Perhaps it's not your type of game, that's alright, but your absolute hate and senseless bashing is a joke.

Lol at 'back to roots RPG'. How long have you been playing games? Everything he said is correct. The game is a slow block and swing game. Not being able to pause is another wrong way the devs went about trying to make the game artificially "difficult".
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="mr_zombie60"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Lol at 'back to roots RPG'. How long have you been playing games? Everything he said is correct. The game is a slow block and swing game. Not being able to pause is another wrong way the devs went about trying to make the game artificially "difficult".

Some people are just gluttons for punishment.