MS needs to get rid of this Achievement crap.

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bohemian_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bohemian_bob
Member since 2006 • 1297 Posts

I don't know about you, but I don't have all the free time in the world. Sometimes when I buy a game I like to download completed save files for it, so I don't have to spend dozens of hours unlocking everything myself. It's called instant gratification.

I'm not talking about cheat codes, either. I'm talking about geniune unlockables, which are hard enough to find on Xbox 360 games because developers seem to think that Achievement points can take their place. It really pisses me off because I can go to GameFAQs right now and download completed saves for just about any PS3 game.

But not on 360, no, just because it would ruin the concept of Achievements, as if it hasn't been ruined already. People are playing crappy games or games with easy Achievemens just to boost a point score which has absoltely no bearing on their real life. What. The. Hell.

And that's my rant, thanks for reading.

APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts
THat's pretty stupid thing to say, why would you want to download entire saved games? To me that would be like buyin a jugsaw puzzle and giving it to someone else to do. There is no fun in that.
frogilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 frogilicus
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Personaly I think it's a game design issue rather than a Xbox 360 issue. There is nothing stopping a studio from putting unlockable's in the games. But then if you download the save files, what possible motivation could you have for taking a stand on the issue?

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i did not know u can get saved files... whats the point of playing a game if ur just going to load a beat game? i realy don't care about achievements i just play the game throu and if i get a achivement it get it.
Avatar image for jensen_slipknot
jensen_slipknot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 jensen_slipknot
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts

why would you download saved files thats a huge waste of money and that completely takes the fun out of the game.

achievements make the game more interesting and keep it lasting longer.

im sorry but this is probly the stupidest thing ive ever read.

Thorpe89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 Thorpe89
Member since 2004 • 16905 Posts
As you may know, game saves are associated with a gamertag. So, only that gamertag gets access to that save. I do think though, you should be able to share your saves but if another gamertag uses it, then it should disable achievements whilst using that save. So, you can still have fun but of course not earning achievements (since someone else has done all the hard work).
LilSlugger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LilSlugger1
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
I personally like the achievement system. Not because I care about my gamerscore but more because they can make a game with low replay value like assasisins creedmore replayable due to the challenge of getting the final achievements!
fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#8 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts

THat's pretty stupid thing to say, why would you want to download entire saved games? To me that would be like buyin a jugsaw puzzle and giving it to someone else to do. There is no fun in that.APOLLOCJD
i second that. how can anyone get gratification from doing nothing? and who pays $60 for a game to not play it? well, you, apparently.

anyway, the achievements serve to differentiate 360 games from the PS3's. the logic is that if there is a game, say Oblivion, that runs on both systems, the consumer will gravitate towards the 360 edition because by playing through it they can increase their gamerscore.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
And plus achievements give the player an incentive to completely finish the game, and to do all the optional tasks that the dev has put into the game.
MyndFlyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 MyndFlyte
Member since 2005 • 1103 Posts
Because just ignoring acievements is just so hard. And downloading full saves, I think, just ruins the whole point of playing the game.
Avatar image for ViscaBarcaInter
ViscaBarcaInter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ViscaBarcaInter
Member since 2007 • 382 Posts
Personally I infinitely prefer the achievement system to unlockable content. I despise the whole idea of playing through parts of a game again to see a piece of concept art or some other bollocks. Gamerscore adds something extra to a game that carrys on outside the game. If people think a score doesn't mean anything, then obviously they've never played...like any game ever. :D:D
Stevie_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Stevie_Q
Member since 2006 • 2011 Posts
Hell, I could care less for achievements. Mostly I just play through the game and if I get an achievment, great. If I see an easy one (like "Ghillies in the Mist" in Call of Duty 4), I'll go for it. But there's no way I'll ever get all the achievments for beating CoD4 on Veteran
GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts
THat's pretty stupid thing to say, why would you want to download entire saved games? To me that would be like buyin a jugsaw puzzle and giving it to someone else to do. There is no fun in that.APOLLOCJD
i agree with him and theres plenty of unlockables in games. look at cod4. u can use weapons and u get camos and attachments and theres a bunch of guns so u should just quit complaining
Nears_puzzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 Nears_puzzle
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts
Achievements are awesome and there are plenty things to unlock in Xbox 360 games. I have no idea what you're talking about, as other people have said, achievements give games more replay value and can even make the game more fun.
gamespotter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamespotter69
Member since 2005 • 202 Posts
The achievement system is a big console seller and game seller i do admit that some people take it a bit serious and judge you on your score.
Rayk3400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Rayk3400
Member since 2006 • 1445 Posts

As you may know, game saves are associated with a gamertag. So, only that gamertag gets access to that save. I do think though, you should be able to share your saves but if another gamertag uses it, then it should disable achievements whilst using that save. So, you can still have fun but of course not earning achievements (since someone else has done all the hard work).Thorpe89

If I recover my gamertag will I get my gamesaves, might be off topic but a really need help

childe_roland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 childe_roland
Member since 2003 • 2542 Posts

[QUOTE="Thorpe89"]As you may know, game saves are associated with a gamertag. So, only that gamertag gets access to that save. I do think though, you should be able to share your saves but if another gamertag uses it, then it should disable achievements whilst using that save. So, you can still have fun but of course not earning achievements (since someone else has done all the hard work).Rayk3400

If I recover my gamertag will I get my gamesaves, might be off topic but a really need help

No, your saves are on your hard drive so if you're recovering to a system with the hard drive that has all of your saves on it you're good, if it's a new HD then you lose all of your saves.

rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
achivements just give you somthing more to play for if you choose. i like them because it makes the game last longer. and there are some game that have unlockables right along with achivements. like in mass effect if you unlock this achivement you get 10% shield boost. etc
dreadedred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dreadedred19
Member since 2007 • 1279 Posts
ok heresa good example of acheivements and cool unlockables: Halo 3.You get new armour pieces to customize your person by getting acheivements ie. security shoulders 750 gs. oh and also, youunlock more armourfor beating levels, ie. eva body for beating tsavo highway on normal or higher. Anyway, there is no point in buying games to get someone elses save! like it was said before, thats a HUGE waste of money, its likebuying a chocolate bar and giving it away. what is the point of buying it ifYOU arent going to eat it (by eat it i mean do the game)? also acheivements keep me coming back, its a challenge, i see them there in the menu, laughing at me, saying "youll never unlock me!" It keeps me playing. Lego star wars 2 has the biggest replay value ive ever seen. Theres like 100 things to unlock, levels, characters, cheats, and like 99 gold bricks to get on top of that. if thats not enough, nothing will satisfy you. oh using gmaesaves can also be like buying a pie without the filling. the fun isnt there. sorry for my references to food im hungry :)
Rayk3400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rayk3400
Member since 2006 • 1445 Posts
[QUOTE="Rayk3400"]

[QUOTE="Thorpe89"]As you may know, game saves are associated with a gamertag. So, only that gamertag gets access to that save. I do think though, you should be able to share your saves but if another gamertag uses it, then it should disable achievements whilst using that save. So, you can still have fun but of course not earning achievements (since someone else has done all the hard work).childe_roland

No, your saves are on your hard drive so if you're recovering to a system with the hard drive that has all of your saves on it you're good, if it's a new HD then you lose all of your saves.

Ok so once I get my gamertag back my saves will be back? Because, for instance, I went on Oblivion and my game isn't there. So after I recover my gamertag and go on Oblivion my game saves will be there? (BTW I deleted everything, not JUST my profile)

dreadedred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dreadedred19
Member since 2007 • 1279 Posts
well if you deleted everything, i guess no matter which harddrive you play on your save wont be there. sorry.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

Thats pretty stupid. That be like buying a game that was already beaten. What point would there be in playing then.

I think acievements give the gamer something to work at. I myself loove acievements. But I am not going to go out and buy kid games just to get them. And I don't see how you think acievements take the place of unlockables?

Well anyway sir. You have fun playing games that are already beaten.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Why do you care? Many games do infact have genuine unlockables. But you do have a point, saying that there were much more before achievement points.
RHCP87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RHCP87
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts
Will never happen, too many people love them.
Zeldaguy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zeldaguy16
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
Well I for one like the Achievements. I completely disagree with you. When I see that I haven't unlocked all the achievements in a game, it's an objective for me. Plus, it keeps me going.
Demousage50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Demousage50
if you buy a game... then download a save for it... its a waste of money which could be put to buyng something else... and achievements are ok actually.. gives me something to do when i completey finished the game (bonuses and all).
OwNaGe_CRZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 OwNaGe_CRZY
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

The original poster is obviously a big tool. Adding achievements into games is one of the best things that Microsoft has ever done. It gives a reason to buy a game that isn't very good and you know it: just to boost your gamerscore. It also encourages people to play through entire games and remain interested in them.

Besides, what kind of idiot downloads completed saves to a game? The entire point of the game is to beat it yourself and be entertained with it. Way to waste like $50 by downloading completed saves.

Demousage50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Demousage50
you got a good point there dreadedred
forgot_my_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 forgot_my_name
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts
I agree with the OP on achievements being stupid. They should take (another, seeing as that seems to be where they stole achievements from in the first place) page from Insomniac Game's book and actually have rewards for getting achievements.
forgot_my_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 forgot_my_name

Why do you care? Many games do infact have genuine unlockables. But you do have a point, saying that there were much more before achievement points.GodLovesDead

Except the amounts of games that have them are incredibly low, or just something small like new armor in Halo 3.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
there is a study that shows achievements boost game sales and ratings. there are people that would buy the 360 game over the PS3 1 just for achievements. they give the game more replay value so why get rid of them? http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7577&Itemid=2http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49489
rulo_rezn0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 rulo_rezn0r
Member since 2006 • 1351 Posts

u gotta be kidding

i love achievements, they are the reason i get multiplat games on my 360 instead of ps3

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
That is the most retarded reason. Why should they change the 360 for a minority of people that do that? That doesn't make any sense.
t3_war_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 t3_war_gamer
Member since 2006 • 552 Posts

I love achievements, ive liked them from day 1,

y would you want to load a beat game??? It would ruin the fun

jchaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jchaff
Member since 2007 • 1063 Posts

I agree with the OP on achievements being stupid. They should take (another, seeing as that seems to be where they stole achievements from in the first place) page from Insomniac Game's book and actually have rewards for getting achievements.forgot_my_name

Yea, and Sony didnt copy ANYTHING this generation! /scarasm

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

It really pisses me off because I can go to GameFAQs right now and download completed saves for just about any PS3 game. But not on 360, no, just because it would ruin the concept of Achievements,bohemian_bob

The solution is obvious then. Buy a PS3. Problem solved.

Achievements are a huge success. They aren't going anywhere. Expect all the consoles in the next generation to have a similar feature. Even handhelds.

SoralinkGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#40 SoralinkGS
Member since 2005 • 3626 Posts

[QUOTE="forgot_my_name"]I agree with the OP on achievements being stupid. They should take (another, seeing as that seems to be where they stole achievements from in the first place) page from Insomniac Game's book and actually have rewards for getting achievements.jchaff

exactly what I was thinking, jchaff...

On the topic at hand, I disagree with the TC. I mean, achievements are really fun to obtain and I always enjoy that little bing noise and the pop-up. However, I don't to achievements for score, but more for a sense of completion, and the idea that I can show off my completions with a nice, clean profile detailing what I did in the game...thats just wonderful to me.

I won't even comment on the gamesaves part....people already got that point across...

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
I veto your request... lol
dillon3692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dillon3692
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts
yeah people are playing crappy games to get achievements because they like achievements. And it doesnt matter if it reflects on real life. Its the game world and earning achievements is fun and to download them would be stupid. I would rather earn the.
sydstoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sydstoner
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts
I agree I hate achivements, they are evil.
tacosrule193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 tacosrule193
Member since 2007 • 780 Posts
this might be off topic but how do u get ur save files to a console? i want some for my ps2.... and if possible 360
InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 InjuredNoodle
Member since 2006 • 1077 Posts

Instant gratification? Using entire save games for PS3, I feel sorry for your girlfriend if you have one. Theirs a reason why they are called achivements.

\.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

1. Nobody's pointing a gun upto your head.

2. You wimp.

3. Yeah, I guess you would want to get rid of it, because it makes the ps3 look bad.

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts

Wow! What a dilemma! Looks like your only choice is to actually play the game.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Why would you pay all that money for a game only to download someone elses completed save file? Surely the purpose of a game is to play it and enjoy it, or get satisfaction from it.

The people I know that get annoyed by Achievements are those that like to have everything 100% complete, but they suck at playing games and can't do it. Maybe the OP is one of those people.

forgot_my_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 forgot_my_name

[QUOTE="forgot_my_name"]I agree with the OP on achievements being stupid. They should take (another, seeing as that seems to be where they stole achievements from in the first place) page from Insomniac Game's book and actually have rewards for getting achievements.jchaff

What does that have to do with anything? Any Sony isn't Insomniac Games. (they're second party or something)

jchaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jchaff
Member since 2007 • 1063 Posts

this might be off topic but how do u get ur save files to a console? i want some for my ps2.... and if possible 360tacosrule193

Call Microsoft, they'll be more thanhappy to help you out