Microsoft Rumored to Be Planning the End of the Xbox Brand Name

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

One grow up seriously, Two I understand the Branding aspect It's doesn't mean I major in it or have a degree to go start ranting and raving about it. Knowing about it and Understanding it are completely two different things, Which obviously you think you do have a right to because you have so much experience right? The only one who is digging a whole here is you so I suggest you go take some more classes. Foulcry

so how old are you and what uni degree have you done?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="Foulcry"] so by people you mean just you right?

you are seriously digging yourself a massive hole here. How is marketing off topic? you are talking about a brand and how well its established, an extremely key area in marketing. i may have 'minimum' knowledge, but that is still much more than you have

I don't pretend to know about marketing and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.Foulcry
so previously when you said "I understand perfectly. As long as it tasted the same who cares. I understand plenty about it. It's just a name" and "Like I said before I understand perfectly" you were lying?

lol stop looking for an argument that never existed? then what on earth are you doing right now?

One grow up seriously, Two I understand the Branding aspect It's doesn't mean I major in it or have a degree to go start ranting and raving about it. Knowing about it and Understanding it are completely two different things, Which obviously you think you do have a right to because you have so much experience right? The only one who is digging a whole here is you so I suggest you go take some more classes.

A wise man once told me that having an argument on the internet is like fighting with a retarded person- even if you win, you're still a loser. I think we all ought to heed this advice.
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="Foulcry"]

One grow up seriously, Two I understand the Branding aspect It's doesn't mean I major in it or have a degree to go start ranting and raving about it. Knowing about it and Understanding it are completely two different things, Which obviously you think you do have a right to because you have so much experience right? The only one who is digging a whole here is you so I suggest you go take some more classes.

so how old are you and what uni degree have you done?

What does that have to do with anything? I wasn't starting anything you were lol. You keep saying the same thing over and over are you really that upset? I don't care what degree you have because it's not even in Marketing! You took basic classes maybe 1 or 2. That doesn't make you better then me or smarter then me it might mean you know some things but thats it (obviously not much). You continued to put words into my mouth and you still continue to try and twist yourself out of your little knot. I' m pretty sure I never said I had a degree and I'm pretty sure I never started debating who knew more about marketing. You did. So basically your arguing about nothing. Would it make you feel better about yourself If I told you I was 23 and I have no degree in Marketing? It has nothing to do what I'm trying to say to you. You have this idea in your head that I think I'm some kida of expert in Marketing when I'm clearly not. Would it? because obviously your pretty upset about something. You constantly keeping bringing age and degrees in this. Why? Have I damaged your reputation or something? It's a forum! Don't debate about things you don't know about if you can't back it up with more then just I took 2 units in Marketing. lol
chugachea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 chugachea
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

If my opinion matters at all i would just like to say that Foulcry is full of fail...

Smurkeysmurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Smurkeysmurk
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

The only concievable benefits to changing the brand name are... -To give the company a clean slate in Japan -To make the console sound more family friendly The former is too weak a reason though. The Japanese game market isn't as big as America or Europe where xbox is successful. A name change only in Japan might be a good idea but every where else, no. And the latter reason would be a big risk. The xbox is a big name now. I'm not sure sounding more friendly to mom is a good enough reason to alienate the core gamer demographic.vashkey

Japanese gamers are always going to stick with playstation. Sony is japanese if you didn't know that. Japanese gamers are most likely to buy a playstation then a xbox 360 mostly because it is made from sony.

Smurkeysmurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Smurkeysmurk
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

i would not only abandon my xbox i would abandon all windows supported software in my home...slvrraven9

Done that already. I am a full Apple supporter. It would be very interesting if apple made a video game console. It probably would run faster, not get the RROD and have better advertisements like the computer. :P

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 chaoscougar1

What does that have to do with anything? I wasn't starting anything you were lol. You keep saying the same thing over and over are you really that upset? I don't care what degree you have because it's not even in Marketing! You took basic classes maybe 1 or 2. That doesn't make you better then me or smarter then me it might mean you know some things but thats it (obviously not much). You continued to put words into my mouth and you still continue to try and twist yourself out of your little knot. I' m pretty sure I never said I had a degree and I'm pretty sure I never started debating who knew more about marketing. You did. So basically your arguing about nothing. Would it make you feel better about yourself If I told you I was 23 and I have no degree in Marketing? It has nothing to do what I'm trying to say to you. You have this idea in your head that I think I'm some kida of expert in Marketing when I'm clearly not. Would it? because obviously your pretty upset about something. You constantly keeping bringing age and degrees in this. Why? Have I damaged your reputation or something? It's a forum! Don't debate about things you don't know about if you can't back it up with more then just I took 2 units in Marketing. lolFoulcry

:|

I said I don't care about a brand nameFoulcry

I don't pretend to know about marketing and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.Foulcry

If Coca - Cola were to change their name I'm sure they would let the entire world know and I guarantee you people would still drink it. Your telling me that people sway from things based on Name Brands. Well while for some people it might be true, (Ignorant) people in general the majority stay on boardFoulcry

I also never said people didn't care about brand names I said the majority still stick around while the others don't.Foulcry

I understand perfectly. As long as it tasted the same who cares. I understand plenty about it. It's just a name.Foulcry

Like I said before I understand perfectly.Foulcry

Don't debate about things you don't know about if you can't back it up with more then just I took 2 units in MarketingFoulcry
and you have done 0 units so....yeh

would you like me to point out the other times you contradicted yourself?

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Foulcry

[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="Foulcry"]Like I said before I understand perfectly.chaoscougar1

Don't debate about things you don't know about if you can't back it up with more then just I took 2 units in MarketingFoulcry
and you have done 0 units so....yeh

would you like me to point out the other times you contradicted yourself?

Would you like me to point out yours? Look you can continue to think you "Win." this argument. I don't care anymore because like the guy said up top there is no point. Nothing you say matters to me and your poor excuse for schooling has further made medumber for listening to what you have to say so good luck.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 chaoscougar1

Would you like me to point out yours? Look you can continue to think you "Win." this argument. I don't care anymore because like the guy said up top there is no point. Nothing you say matters to me and your poor excuse for schooling has further made medumber for listening to what you have to say so good luck.

Foulcry

fixed that post

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

this thread looks like fun:o

sure hope not. only thing I see MS trying to ditch was the bad image of the 360 and RRoD. kind of like how they seemed to ditch all things Windows Vista with Windows 7.

but seeing as they have another 2-3 years for a fix-up on that image,

and they're doing a damn good job right now really.

anyhow, looking at the name 'X-Box' and knowing how the name came to be. it seems like a lamebrain naming scheme. Direct X + console or 'box'= X-Box.

sits the best after you think about 'Wii' or the 3rd iteration of 'Playstation'

Raiden004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62 Raiden004
Member since 2009 • 1605 Posts

If mircrosoft did not include the XBOX name into their next console, sales would be really weak. They would need Huge games like Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty and more with its launch if they do this. Which would be LAME!

FaintRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 FaintRain
Member since 2009 • 678 Posts
that's pretty much BS,MS is getting a lot of money from the Xbox brand,they won't be ending it's existence that easily
dstv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 dstv
Member since 2007 • 1384 Posts

wow...gonna gonna buy it regardless of the name

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
[QUOTE="wwervin"][QUOTE="Foulcry"] I understand perfectly. As long as it tasted the same who cares. I understand plenty about it. It's just a name. Are you gonna tell me that your not going to play another Microsoft console because they got rid of the Xbox name? I doubt it.Foulcry
No.. all you understand is that it's "just a name." You're right though, it is just a name. But what you don't understand is that a name is everything for a product in the business world. People associate to the product because of its name. If Coca Cola changed it's name to Fizzy Soda Drink, people may not recognize it as well. Coca Cola already has an established fanbase around the world. Changing the name would alienate all those people and they'd just go buy Pepsi instead. This is what could happen to the Xbox. Sure, it's still a Microsoft console, but most people won't associate it with the Xbox and since it will be just starting out, most people will likely go to competitors. It's a grueling market out there, there's no reason to give Sony or Nintendo any share of the video game market simply because they want to change the name.

Like I said before I understand perfectly. I just don't care. I'm not gonna argue with you at all but like I said before would you really care if they changed their name? would you really not buy it because they changed it? not likely. Coca Cola is a completely different product from Video Games. That's like comparing the Empire State building to the Easter Bunny. In Video Games I don't know about you but I really don't care what system I play on or who makes it. I just play to play Video Games. If Coca - Cola were to change their name I'm sure they would let the entire world know and I guarantee you people would still drink it. Your telling me that people sway from things based on Name Brands. Well while for some people it might be true, (Ignorant) people in general the majority stay on board. Technically MIcrosoft is the official "Brand Name" anyway. Maybe they want to associate the Microsoft name with their next console like the first Xbox or like Sony does with PLaystation or Like Nintendo does with all their consoles. the point is who cares because we all know it's made by Microsoft and If your not gonna continue playing their consoles over a name then you got some serious issues.

lol ok I just had to make this one point because it was bothering me.. 1. I did not compare video games to Coca Cola. I don't know why you're getting a comparison out of my post, all I did was show an example of what would happen if a company changed the name of its product. And furthermore, comparing Coca Cola to video games is still applicable because they are both products that are sold to buyers in the business world. The empire state building has absolutely no relevance to the easter bunny, so I have no idea how you came to that little thing in your post. 2. Yes, I am telling you that people sway from things because of the brand name. That's the whole concept of a brand name. I really think you should go to business school before you tackle this subject. And no, don't take that offensively it wasn't meant as an insult, I just don't think you understand how markets work and I really can't explain it that well in one post. All there is to say is that the Xbox has an established name, and changing that will let go of the market associated with the name and try to create a new market. Why knock an empire down and rebuild it from scratch when you can add to it?
Livemmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Livemmo
Member since 2009 • 310 Posts

http://www.gofanboy.com/go-fanboy-news/2992-microsoft-rumored-to-be-planning-the-end-of-the-xbox-brand-name/

It will be interesting to see how Natal will be implemented onto the market, then again i want it to fail comming from a hand controller fan....like the rest of us... o_o?

vandlr

I'm not very interested in the technology as it is, but I still dont want it to fail. This is what we need to be working towards even if it isnt working the way it should be yet. Advance the technology.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Foulcry
[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="wwervin"] No.. all you understand is that it's "just a name." You're right though, it is just a name. But what you don't understand is that a name is everything for a product in the business world. People associate to the product because of its name. If Coca Cola changed it's name to Fizzy Soda Drink, people may not recognize it as well. Coca Cola already has an established fanbase around the world. Changing the name would alienate all those people and they'd just go buy Pepsi instead. This is what could happen to the Xbox. Sure, it's still a Microsoft console, but most people won't associate it with the Xbox and since it will be just starting out, most people will likely go to competitors. It's a grueling market out there, there's no reason to give Sony or Nintendo any share of the video game market simply because they want to change the name. wwervin
Like I said before I understand perfectly. I just don't care. I'm not gonna argue with you at all but like I said before would you really care if they changed their name? would you really not buy it because they changed it? not likely. Coca Cola is a completely different product from Video Games. That's like comparing the Empire State building to the Easter Bunny. In Video Games I don't know about you but I really don't care what system I play on or who makes it. I just play to play Video Games. If Coca - Cola were to change their name I'm sure they would let the entire world know and I guarantee you people would still drink it. Your telling me that people sway from things based on Name Brands. Well while for some people it might be true, (Ignorant) people in general the majority stay on board. Technically MIcrosoft is the official "Brand Name" anyway. Maybe they want to associate the Microsoft name with their next console like the first Xbox or like Sony does with PLaystation or Like Nintendo does with all their consoles. the point is who cares because we all know it's made by Microsoft and If your not gonna continue playing their consoles over a name then you got some serious issues.

lol ok I just had to make this one point because it was bothering me.. 1. I did not compare video games to Coca Cola. I don't know why you're getting a comparison out of my post, all I did was show an example of what would happen if a company changed the name of its product. And furthermore, comparing Coca Cola to video games is still applicable because they are both products that are sold to buyers in the business world. The empire state building has absolutely no relevance to the easter bunny, so I have no idea how you came to that little thing in your post. 2. Yes, I am telling you that people sway from things because of the brand name. That's the whole concept of a brand name. I really think you should go to business school before you tackle this subject. And no, don't take that offensively it wasn't meant as an insult, I just don't think you understand how markets work and I really can't explain it that well in one post. All there is to say is that the Xbox has an established name, and changing that will let go of the market associated with the name and try to create a new market. Why knock an empire down and rebuild it from scratch when you can add to it?

None taken man everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not trying to say or prove I'm an expert in anything I just don't agree. I just believe the name doesn't matter for most people whether it is ignorant or not. Especially when the actual official brand name is Microsoft not Xbox 360. I'm not offended lol trust me I've already went through this with someone who thinks I was contradicting myself and presumed to tell me I was wrong when they themselves have minimal to no experience what so ever in marketing. I was just throwing an opinion out there like everyone else and apparently it's not very popular lol. Not worth arguing over. I'm not saying I'm right but I'm not going to say I'm wrong either so I'll leave you with that on good terms.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
[QUOTE="wwervin"][QUOTE="Foulcry"] Like I said before I understand perfectly. I just don't care. I'm not gonna argue with you at all but like I said before would you really care if they changed their name? would you really not buy it because they changed it? not likely. Coca Cola is a completely different product from Video Games. That's like comparing the Empire State building to the Easter Bunny. In Video Games I don't know about you but I really don't care what system I play on or who makes it. I just play to play Video Games. If Coca - Cola were to change their name I'm sure they would let the entire world know and I guarantee you people would still drink it. Your telling me that people sway from things based on Name Brands. Well while for some people it might be true, (Ignorant) people in general the majority stay on board. Technically MIcrosoft is the official "Brand Name" anyway. Maybe they want to associate the Microsoft name with their next console like the first Xbox or like Sony does with PLaystation or Like Nintendo does with all their consoles. the point is who cares because we all know it's made by Microsoft and If your not gonna continue playing their consoles over a name then you got some serious issues.Foulcry

None taken man everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not trying to say or prove I'm an expert in anything I just don't agree. I just believe the name doesn't matter for most people whether it is ignorant or not. Especially when the actual official brand name is Microsoft not Xbox 360. I'm not offended lol trust me I've already went through this with someone who thinks I was contradicting myself and presumed to tell me I was wrong when they themselves have minimal to no experience what so ever in marketing. I was just throwing an opinion out there like everyone else and apparently it's not very popular lol. Not worth arguing over. I'm not saying I'm right but I'm not going to say I'm wrong either so I'll leave you with that on good terms.

Actually the brand name is not Microsoft. Microsoft is the company, the Xbox is the actual brand that they are selling to people. Think of this in terms of car companies. For example, GM owns Chevy, Cadillac, etc. Or VW who owns Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc. GM is selling Cadillacs, not GMs. Get it? Now if all of a sudden out of nowhere they decided "We're no longer gonna call them Cadillacs, we'll call them Fluffybunnies." the market for Cadillacs would change. People who associated the car with the name Cadillac may not recognize it as the same brand. Brand loyalty is important for companies, especially for video game companies who sell you software later on. Microsoft won't give away their brand name for no reason, it would be a stupid move. Whether you "care" about that or not does not matter, what matters is the general principal of how the market works, and that's why they won't be changing the name. I think whoever spread this news source is just making things up, no company would be that stupid to tear down a powerhouse just to rebuild it.
Avatar image for _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

[QUOTE="wwervin"][QUOTE="Foulcry"] Like I said before I understand perfectly. I just don't care. I'm not gonna argue with you at all but like I said before would you really care if they changed their name? would you really not buy it because they changed it? not likely. Coca Cola is a completely different product from Video Games. That's like comparing the Empire State building to the Easter Bunny. In Video Games I don't know about you but I really don't care what system I play on or who makes it. I just play to play Video Games. If Coca - Cola were to change their name I'm sure they would let the entire world know and I guarantee you people would still drink it. Your telling me that people sway from things based on Name Brands. Well while for some people it might be true, (Ignorant) people in general the majority stay on board. Technically MIcrosoft is the official "Brand Name" anyway. Maybe they want to associate the Microsoft name with their next console like the first Xbox or like Sony does with PLaystation or Like Nintendo does with all their consoles. the point is who cares because we all know it's made by Microsoft and If your not gonna continue playing their consoles over a name then you got some serious issues.Foulcry

it might not matter to you if they change the name, and honestly it wouldnt matter to me either, but that's because we both know its still a microsoft console and its the successor to the xbox. what about your average joe gamer though, who doesnt know much about consoles and is just starting to get into it. he goes to buy a new console. he sees two console brands he recognizes, nintendo and playstation, then he sees this other console brand hes never heard of, whatever microsoft would call the new console, and decides to buy one of the other two because hes never heard of the microsoft one.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="wwervin"] lol ok I just had to make this one point because it was bothering me.. 1. I did not compare video games to Coca Cola. I don't know why you're getting a comparison out of my post, all I did was show an example of what would happen if a company changed the name of its product. And furthermore, comparing Coca Cola to video games is still applicable because they are both products that are sold to buyers in the business world. The empire state building has absolutely no relevance to the easter bunny, so I have no idea how you came to that little thing in your post. 2. Yes, I am telling you that people sway from things because of the brand name. That's the whole concept of a brand name. I really think you should go to business school before you tackle this subject. And no, don't take that offensively it wasn't meant as an insult, I just don't think you understand how markets work and I really can't explain it that well in one post. All there is to say is that the Xbox has an established name, and changing that will let go of the market associated with the name and try to create a new market. Why knock an empire down and rebuild it from scratch when you can add to it?wwervin

Actually the brand name is not Microsoft. Microsoft is the company, the Xbox is the actual brand that they are selling to people. Think of this in terms of car companies. For example, GM owns Chevy, Cadillac, etc. Or VW who owns Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc. GM is selling Cadillacs, not GMs. Get it? Now if all of a sudden out of nowhere they decided "We're no longer gonna call them Cadillacs, we'll call them Fluffybunnies." the market for Cadillacs would change. People who associated the car with the name Cadillac may not recognize it as the same brand. Brand loyalty is important for companies, especially for video game companies who sell you software later on. Microsoft won't give away their brand name for no reason, it would be a stupid move. Whether you "care" about that or not does not matter, what matters is the general principal of how the market works, and that's why they won't be changing the name. I think whoever spread this news source is just making things up, no company would be that stupid to tear down a powerhouse just to rebuild it.

See, that's the pill I can't swallow, though. GM owns. Cadillac. But they also own so many other products that people end up thinking of it as Cadillac or Chevrolet. They see a Coupe Deville and think "that's a Cadillac" because in some cases (like my own until just recently) people don't know it's a GM. Microsoft, on the other hand, only makes one game console at a time. I haven't been a big fan of FoulCry's conversation, but I think for all intents and purposes, that he has a point in saying that Microsoft is really the brand name. Is there a gamer on the planet that doesn't know who makes Xbox? Will the established fanbase jump ship because the new MS console that isn't called Xbox? I don't think so. Will it cost them new business? If a gamer hasn't bought an Xbox console by now, they've probably decided it isn't for them. In the end, I suppose I have more faith in gamers than in what business and marketing teachers have to say about people.
sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

http://www.gofanboy.com/go-fanboy-news/2992-microsoft-rumored-to-be-planning-the-end-of-the-xbox-brand-name/

It will be interesting to see how Natal will be implemented onto the market, then again i want it to fail comming from a hand controller fan....like the rest of us... o_o?

vandlr

2 things 1. Natal is not a replacement for the pad and 2. Im old enough to remember playing games using a joystick so as a gamer your gonna have to get used to using different types of controller.

Do you hate everything thats new??

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 chaoscougar1

minimal > none Honestly i did not care that you yourself didnt think it would matter, but your first post was 'its just a name, who cares,' well its a BRAND so a lot of people would. You, once myself and another member said that it actually does matter, proceeded to argue that it doesnt. Thats what started this whole thing, your inablilty to recognise that brands hold a lot of power in the financial/business world
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#73 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Fiction

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 El_Zo1212o

Fiction

DecadesOfGaming
Whaa...?
JM_MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75 JM_MUFC
Member since 2009 • 352 Posts

If you believe this rumour then you are probably still sitting at home frantically searching the internet for the release date of little big planet onto the xbox 360...

kazater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#76 kazater
Member since 2008 • 649 Posts

uuhm a few things.. i have had a few lessons in marketing (1,5 years worth) and sometimes it is in a companys best interest to change a brand name, if the name is bearing resemblance to a catastrophic event or bad person, "twin towers café" for instance.

or perhaps if a brand is associated with any form of slander or bad bussiness.. selling a bad product, such as a knife that can't cut butter. you would have to change both your product and your brand.. so in many cases you could benefit from changing it... however in the case of the xbox brand, i dont see how they could benefit from a name change..

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#77 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

why would they do that? xbox is a brand name known everywhere

GramDubs
But look at what it's known for now... the RRoD. That would be a valid reason to 'clean the slate' so to speak.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
LOL trusting FoxNews/Media is like walking into a wild jungle full of tigers and thinking you're not gonna die because "that one guy who youd paid $50 said they only bite sometimes"
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#79 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="vandlr"]

Not a reliable source in my books.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
This would prove interesting, if true.