Microsoft Rumored to Be Planning the End of the Xbox Brand Name

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vandlr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 vandlr
Member since 2006 • 583 Posts

http://www.gofanboy.com/go-fanboy-news/2992-microsoft-rumored-to-be-planning-the-end-of-the-xbox-brand-name/

It will be interesting to see how Natal will be implemented onto the market, then again i want it to fail comming from a hand controller fan....like the rest of us... o_o?

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

It's from Fox Media. I don't trust it, nor do I trust Fox News.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

It's from Fox Media. I don't trust it, nor do I trust Fox News.

Steameffekt

The same people that own Fox News own IGN. But not trusting Fox has nothing to do with this: the rumor is coming from the parent company of the two sites in question.

Anyway I don't really like this idea. The Xbox name has a lot of weight behind it and I don't see why they would throw it away. I like Xbox :(

Duke_51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Duke_51
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

Ah, it's just a rumor. Don't believe anything until Microsoft says it's finished.

Really, for them to pull the plug on Xbox makes no sense to me, seeing as the huge fanbase and customers it has around it.

vp22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vp22
Member since 2008 • 1443 Posts
that would be an incredibly stupid move
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

Maybe it is called nBox then.magicalclick

That name is bound to failure........reminds me of nGage. :|

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I think it would be a bad move by MS, the Xbox brand is loved by many, and I think it would be one of the worst things MS could do to both fans and themselves.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

I dont believe that one bit. I mean come one Thats like 90% of the battle right there building a brand and the xbox brand is huge. I highly doubt they would just scrap it.

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

why would they do that? xbox is a brand name known everywhere

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#11 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
The only concievable benefits to changing the brand name are... -To give the company a clean slate in Japan -To make the console sound more family friendly The former is too weak a reason though. The Japanese game market isn't as big as America or Europe where xbox is successful. A name change only in Japan might be a good idea but every where else, no. And the latter reason would be a big risk. The xbox is a big name now. I'm not sure sounding more friendly to mom is a good enough reason to alienate the core gamer demographic.
Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts

Maybe it is called nBox then.magicalclick

Isn't "Natal" just the project name, and not the final product name? I think we'll find out the actual name at E3 next week... unless I'm misinformed.

Tripleseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tripleseed
Member since 2009 • 411 Posts

The same people that own Fox News own IGN. But not trusting Fox has nothing to do with this: the rumor is coming from the parent company of the two sites in question.

limpbizkit818

Exactly. IGN is so full of BS that I find it difficult to see how anyone can view them as a professional website. Their staff of "writers", and I use that term loosely, has never published anything that is not fluff riddled with terrible grammar and spelling. You would think that, as a "professional" website, your editorials would be spell-checked for God sake. While it is obvious that their prime fanbase consists of kids in the age bracket of twelve years old, you could at least take steps to ban all the idiots who post nothing but ads for Nike Shox and iPods in the comments section. You might also, as a "professional" source of journalism, try not to give every game that is advertised on your website a 9 or above, only to have the point values associated with the sub-categories of your rankings completely clash with the final review score!! IGN's reviews are very inconsistent with their previews and the hype that they generate for said titles. I was actually excited when I heard about the firings going on at IGN a couple months back, but unfortunatly we still have to deal with clowns like Hilary Goldstein and Jessica "Chobot" who, might I say it because I know everyone else is thinking it, only got her job because the way she looks. She might be a cute gal, but good grief she is annoying...Down with IGN!!!

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
It would be the dumbest move since the RROD. If they're looking to wash their hands clean because of the RROD reputation, then they should solve the issue instead of trying to hide under another brand name. People across the years have learned to identify XBOX with next-gen HD videogaming. To take that away and give it some other whoopty-doo name would be hazardous to Microsoft's financial health. I really hope someone from Microsoft is reading this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#15 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I think that the Xbox is too big of a brand name now to throw it away. If they choose to market Natal more than the Xbox brand name I'll be pissed. Natal sounds more like a birth control pill than anything involved with videogames.
Joeinsidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Joeinsidious
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Quite frankly, I hope they do. The name XBOX is marred with RRoD. If there are issues with the next system people will begin to pull away. It'd be a smart marketing move to drop the Xbox name.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Don't believe these rumors. The Xbox brand name carries a large fan base all around the world. Microsoft would never commit suicide like that. Maybe they'll start pushing the Natal technology more, sure, but they'll always implement it around the Xbox not the other way around.
gundaicut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gundaicut
Member since 2010 • 456 Posts
From my understandings if there was a new name it was gonna be WAVE
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

I'm not sure if this is revelant to this news, but it could be the same thing:

Even as the company hypes Natal and its new mobile software, Windows Phone7, investors don't expect smash hits; in fact, they'd settle for small losses on these and other gadgets. "It's hard to make the case this has been a good use of shareholder capital," says Todd S. Lowenstein, who runs HighMark Capital's value fund. "I don't fault them for trying this stuff, but investors are getting impatient." Other investors suggest that, like IBM (IBM) a decade ago, Microsoft should refocus its efforts on its massively profitable PC and corporate software businesses. Its cash from operations last quarter alone was $7.4billion, a company record. Yet its shares are down about 50percent since Steve Ballmer took over as CEO on Jan.13, 2000. "The stock would go up if Microsoft exited its consumer businesses," says Bill Whyman of ISI Group.

Bussinesweek.

The only concievable benefits to changing the brand name are...

-To give the company a clean slate in Japan

-To make the console sound more family friendly

The former is too weak a reason though. The Japanese game market isn't as big as America or Europe where xbox is successful. A name change only in Japan might be a good idea but every where else, no.

And the latter reason would be a big risk. The xbox is a big name now. I'm not sure sounding more friendly to mom is a good enough reason to alienate the core gamer demographic.vashkey

Totally agree with you. Plus I doubt that they will just up & forget about their hardcore fanbase which put them on the map for this gen to begin with. That would be suicidal.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
that would be like removing the PS or nintendo brand name, stupid
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#21 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Quite frankly, I hope they do. The name XBOX is marred with RRoD. If there are issues with the next system people will begin to pull away. It'd be a smart marketing move to drop the Xbox name. Joeinsidious
I don't think the Xbox is marred that much with the RROD issue. Ask a non gamer about the Xbox 360, and they'll probably say something about Halo 3 or COD4 way before the RROD.
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

It's just a name who cares. Is it really gonna make a difference on what the next system is called? It's still by Microsoft. OMG oh no the end of the world!

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chaoscougar1

It's just a name who cares. Is it really gonna make a difference on what the next system is called? It's still by Microsoft. OMG oh no the end of the world!

Foulcry
do you understand the concept of brands? whats happens if coca-cola stopped making coca-cola? changed the name to something else? do you think people would care?
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Foulcry
[QUOTE="Foulcry"]

chaoscougar1
do you understand the concept of brands? whats happens if coca-cola stopped making coca-cola? changed the name to something else? do you think people would care?

I understand perfectly. As long as it tasted the same who cares. I understand plenty about it. It's just a name. Are you gonna tell me that your not going to play another Microsoft console because they got rid of the Xbox name? I doubt it.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Foulcry"]

I understand perfectly. As long as it tasted the same who cares. I understand plenty about it. It's just a name. Are you gonna tell me that your not going to play another Microsoft console because they got rid of the Xbox name? I doubt it.

No.. all you understand is that it's "just a name." You're right though, it is just a name. But what you don't understand is that a name is everything for a product in the business world. People associate to the product because of its name. If Coca Cola changed it's name to Fizzy Soda Drink, people may not recognize it as well. Coca Cola already has an established fanbase around the world. Changing the name would alienate all those people and they'd just go buy Pepsi instead. This is what could happen to the Xbox. Sure, it's still a Microsoft console, but most people won't associate it with the Xbox and since it will be just starting out, most people will likely go to competitors. It's a grueling market out there, there's no reason to give Sony or Nintendo any share of the video game market simply because they want to change the name.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
I don't really see a legitimate benefit to doing it, but the brand name is not so much X-Box its MS, If they had chose to call the 360 just "360" or something else its don't think anyone would really care. Because you still know its MS, take Nintendo, they don't name all their systems the same thing. But people simply put Nintendo in front of the actual name now. Like it wasn't actually called "Nintendo Gamecube" people just referred to it that way. Really its simply seems more like Sony and MS were just taking the easy way out in regards to name, more so than establishing brand name.
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

Tripleseed

Exactly. IGN is so full of BS that I find it difficult to see how anyone can view them as a professional website. Their staff of "writers", and I use that term loosely, has never published anything that is not fluff riddled with terrible grammar and spelling. You would think that, as a "professional" website, your editorials would be spell-checked for God sake. While it is obvious that their prime fanbase consists of kids in the age bracket of twelve years old, you could at least take steps to ban all the idiots who post nothing but ads for Nike Shox and iPods in the comments section. You might also, as a "professional" source of journalism, try not to give every game that is advertised on your website a 9 or above, only to have the point values associated with the sub-categories of your rankings completely clash with the final review score!! IGN's reviews are very inconsistent with their previews and the hype that they generate for said titles. I was actually excited when I heard about the firings going on at IGN a couple months back, but unfortunatly we still have to deal with clowns like Hilary Goldstein and Jessica "Chobot" who, might I say it because I know everyone else is thinking it, only got her job because the way she looks. She might be a cute gal, but good grief she is annoying...Down with IGN!!!

Couldn't agree more

and if they end the Xbox brand name they wouldn't be doing themselves much of a favor in the sales department. If the Japanese don't like the xbox, why would they like the nbox (example) It might be a different name but it's still the same damn company. You can change that nerdy kids name at school from bob to Nathan and it wouldn't make him anymore cooler among the general population.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

[QUOTE="Tripleseed"]

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

XileLord

Couldn't agree more

and if they end the Xbox brand name they wouldn't be doing themselves much of a favor in the sales department. If the Japanese don't like the xbox, why would they like the nbox (example) It might be a different name but it's still the same damn company. You can change that nerdy kids name at school from bob to Nathan and it wouldn't make him anymore cooler among the general population.

I think it's more about Western appeal, or lack there of, more than anything. It isn't about the name and changing it wouldn't make any difference. It's the games and the Eastern audience doesn't seem to like Western games.. just like some Western audiences (like myself) do not like Eastern games. It has nothing to do at all with brand name or company name.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

they should rename it to something succesfull like "vista"....

no seriously why do people think we need to keep names the same? nintendo changes names every generation, with the latest being their wackiest and most successful yet. i like change!. maybe they will call it thrii.... because its their thrid xbox, and it also rhymes with wii...

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Foulcry"]

Foulcry

if thats what you think you clearly have no idea about branding and/or brand names. brand names are synonomous with the perception you have of said company, they are established and well known, if you still require further explanation, enroll in a business/marketing course
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Terrible idea, the Xbox name is household and media known. Why ruin that when you've already accomplished yourself as being a known entity? It's almost like the idiotic geniuses that thought getting rid of E3 was good by making it very-very small venue for developers only, and look how that turned out...not so good. Bad move if this is true.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I hope they don't do that...I like the Xbox name.

tbs76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 tbs76
Member since 2004 • 479 Posts

I highly doubth these rumblings are true. Like one person said "the Xbox brand has weight to it". Xbox has become a very strong name in the marketplace and its the same reason why Sony refused to change their Playstation brand. If Microsoft chooses to lose the Xbox name it may have to due with the fact they want to distance themselves from the horrible RROD scenario that is associated with the 360. By changing a brand name many consumers feel they are really getting something new and not just an updated revision. I believe our current gen Xbox is with us for another few years so its hard to say what will happen. Maybe they should just call the next Xbox the SEXBOX and we can all get really excited about motion controls! LOL.

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
I don't believe it.
Ebougile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ebougile
Member since 2005 • 2168 Posts

It would be surprising (to me) and huge if they dropped the Xbox name. I don't think it's a good idea. If they are concerned about leaving memories of the RROD in the past, then they need to make sure the next console is built like the original Xbox was. But then this news story could be a load of bunk.

mrgrins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrgrins
Member since 2004 • 179 Posts
I'd be okay with it if they changed it to zBox and you had to pronounce it like 'zee Box' (read German dialect). Then they could to a marketing campaign similar to the original Wii campaign. "zee Box would like to come in. Will you have zee Box?" Then imagine talking with your friends: "You should come over. We will play on zee Box." Then when you get the PSoD (purple square of death): "Zee Box! It is broken! How I will miss zee Box!"
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Foulcry
[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] do you understand the concept of brands? whats happens if coca-cola stopped making coca-cola? changed the name to something else? do you think people would care?wwervin

No.. all you understand is that it's "just a name." You're right though, it is just a name. But what you don't understand is that a name is everything for a product in the business world. People associate to the product because of its name. If Coca Cola changed it's name to Fizzy Soda Drink, people may not recognize it as well. Coca Cola already has an established fanbase around the world. Changing the name would alienate all those people and they'd just go buy Pepsi instead. This is what could happen to the Xbox. Sure, it's still a Microsoft console, but most people won't associate it with the Xbox and since it will be just starting out, most people will likely go to competitors. It's a grueling market out there, there's no reason to give Sony or Nintendo any share of the video game market simply because they want to change the name.

Like I said before I understand perfectly. I just don't care. I'm not gonna argue with you at all but like I said before would you really care if they changed their name? would you really not buy it because they changed it? not likely. Coca Cola is a completely different product from Video Games. That's like comparing the Empire State building to the Easter Bunny. In Video Games I don't know about you but I really don't care what system I play on or who makes it. I just play to play Video Games. If Coca - Cola were to change their name I'm sure they would let the entire world know and I guarantee you people would still drink it. Your telling me that people sway from things based on Name Brands. Well while for some people it might be true, (Ignorant) people in general the majority stay on board. Technically MIcrosoft is the official "Brand Name" anyway. Maybe they want to associate the Microsoft name with their next console like the first Xbox or like Sony does with PLaystation or Like Nintendo does with all their consoles. the point is who cares because we all know it's made by Microsoft and If your not gonna continue playing their consoles over a name then you got some serious issues.
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Foulcry
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] do you understand the concept of brands? whats happens if coca-cola stopped making coca-cola? changed the name to something else? do you think people would care?

if thats what you think you clearly have no idea about branding and/or brand names. brand names are synonomous with the perception you have of said company, they are established and well known, if you still require further explanation, enroll in a business/marketing course

Clearly you have no idea what your talking about because "Microsoft" is the "Official Brand Name" If you need to go take a course for someone to tell you that then wow that's all I have to say. I don't need you to explain anything to me nor do I want you to. I didn't ask for your opinion and I don't need 101 lesson of how to either I don't care about the brand name that's what I am trying to point out. It's a name that's all a name of Microsoft's product. Obviously you are one of those percentage of people who are ignorant to the fact of change. Get used to it because it happens all the time.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Foulcry"] I understand perfectly. As long as it tasted the same who cares. I understand plenty about it. It's just a name. Are you gonna tell me that your not going to play another Microsoft console because they got rid of the Xbox name? I doubt it.Foulcry

Clearly you have no idea what your talking about because "Microsoft" is the "Official Brand Name" If you need to go take a course for someone to tell you that then wow that's all I have to say. I don't need you to explain anything to me nor do I want you to. I didn't ask for your opinion and I don't need 101 lesson of how to either I don't care about the brand name that's what I am trying to point out. It's a name that's all a name of Microsoft's product. Obviously you are one of those percentage of people who are ignorant to the fact of change. Get used to it because it happens all the time.

my goodness, i am doing a business course and have done two units in marketing. You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what you are talking about and are trying to play off that you are an expert. You say that you personally do not care, which is fine, you have your own opinion, but then proceed to say thats brands are 'just a name' and the greater population dont care about them, you are 100% wrong. People definately care about brands, you ask any executive in any major corporation to change their name saying it wont make a difference to their revenue and expense figures, they will laugh you out of the building. hahahahaha it happens all the time? it costs way too much money in advertising to change a brand name frequently, so no it does not happen all the time, they will only change a name if the product has failed OR they are doing a massive overhaul to the product (gameboy>DS) but to get that awareness out there is expensive

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Foulcry

[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] if thats what you think you clearly have no idea about branding and/or brand names. brand names are synonomous with the perception you have of said company, they are established and well known, if you still require further explanation, enroll in a business/marketing coursechaoscougar1

my goodness, i am doing a business course and have done two units in marketing. You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what you are talking about and are trying to play off that you are an expert. You say that you personally do not care, which is fine, you have your own opinion, but then proceed to say thats brands are 'just a name' and the greater population dont care about them, you are 100% wrong. People definately care about brands, you ask any executive in any major corporation to change their name saying it wont make a difference to their revenue and expense figures, they will laugh you out of the building. hahahahaha it happens all the time? it costs way too much money in advertising to change a brand name frequently, so no it does not happen all the time, they will only change a name if the product has failed OR they are doing a massive overhaul to the product (gameboy>DS) but to get that awareness out there is expensive

Since when was I playing off being an expert I never said I was. I figured you were taking courses thats why I said what I said or did it completely fly over your head? Obviously It did. I also never said people didn't care about brand names I said the majority still stick around while the others don't. Clearly you have poor skills in understanding what someone says. I personally don't care I never tried starting an arguement over this with anyone. I said "Who cares it's a name." my opinion not yours. If i'm entitled to my own opinion then why are you trying to argue with me. If marketing taught you anything then it should have also taught you that you can gain back what you lose. Poeople may stray but they eventually come back. I don't care what kind of degree you have it's common sense and understanding people and how they work and if your huge into Video Games you should know this.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] if thats what you think you clearly have no idea about branding and/or brand names. brand names are synonomous with the perception you have of said company, they are established and well known, if you still require further explanation, enroll in a business/marketing course

my goodness, i am doing a business course and have done two units in marketing. You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what you are talking about and are trying to play off that you are an expert. You say that you personally do not care, which is fine, you have your own opinion, but then proceed to say thats brands are 'just a name' and the greater population dont care about them, you are 100% wrong. People definately care about brands, you ask any executive in any major corporation to change their name saying it wont make a difference to their revenue and expense figures, they will laugh you out of the building. hahahahaha it happens all the time? name 3 examples of an established company just straight up changing their name for no reason, im not talking about a merger either, cause that usually unifies two global brands. i can tell you now that you do not understand perfectly, so i suggest you do some research about the importance of brand names before replying again

Y'know, I like you. You usually have really well thought out replies, and you're taking business and marketing courses, so I accept that you probably have more experience in what you're talking about. My question, though, is this: with a company like CocaCola, there are so many other products that they produce that it could feasibly be lost in the shuffle, as it were. For instance, I didn't know Aquafina was a coca cola product until about a year after it was on the market. But Microsoft only makes one game console at a time. In my opinion, it isn't Wii vs Playstation vs Xbox, it's Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft. Maybe it's a by product of gowing up with videogame systems that didn't have series' named for them. I grew up with NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast. Sony started all this silly(IMO) business of rehashing the same name for a new videogame console. We(the Gamers) know that Microsoft built a solid competitor in this Generation, and we hope they will, in the next generation, have a similar footing on which to fight the next console war(with a few obvious fixes, of course).
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Foulcry"] Clearly you have no idea what your talking about because "Microsoft" is the "Official Brand Name" If you need to go take a course for someone to tell you that then wow that's all I have to say. I don't need you to explain anything to me nor do I want you to. I didn't ask for your opinion and I don't need 101 lesson of how to either I don't care about the brand name that's what I am trying to point out. It's a name that's all a name of Microsoft's product. Obviously you are one of those percentage of people who are ignorant to the fact of change. Get used to it because it happens all the time.El_Zo1212o
my goodness, i am doing a business course and have done two units in marketing. You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what you are talking about and are trying to play off that you are an expert. You say that you personally do not care, which is fine, you have your own opinion, but then proceed to say thats brands are 'just a name' and the greater population dont care about them, you are 100% wrong. People definately care about brands, you ask any executive in any major corporation to change their name saying it wont make a difference to their revenue and expense figures, they will laugh you out of the building. hahahahaha it happens all the time? name 3 examples of an established company just straight up changing their name for no reason, im not talking about a merger either, cause that usually unifies two global brands. i can tell you now that you do not understand perfectly, so i suggest you do some research about the importance of brand names before replying again

Y'know, I like you. You usually have really well thought out replies, and you're taking business and marketing courses, so I accept that you probably have more experience in what you're talking about. My question, though, is this: with a company like CocaCola, there are so many other products that they produce that it could feasibly be lost in the shuffle, as it were. For instance, I didn't know Aquafina was a coca cola product until about a year after it was on the market.

But Microsoft only makes one game console at a time. In my opinion, it isn't Wii vs Playstation vs Xbox, it's Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft. Maybe it's a by product of gowing up with videogame systems that didn't have series' named for them. I grew up with NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast. Sony started all this silly(IMO) business of rehashing the same name for a new videogame console. We(the Gamers) know that Microsoft built a solid competitor in this Generation, and we hope they will, in the next generation, have a similar footing on which to fight the next console war(with a few obvious fixes, of course).

changing a brand is not impossible, nor is it sometimes a bad idea. But what you have to realise is that when you change a specific brand that people know and identify easily, you have to do a lot of advertisement and the changes have to be pretty drastic. An example would be going from the gameboy to the DS, the DS introduced the touch screen.

I may have gotten a little off track there but the main point i was trying to make is that people do care about brands, they are synonymous with the product being purchased, an established well respected brand has a certain level of quality expected from it every time you purchase. Thats why i think changing the xbox brand name now wouldnt be the best idea. Microsoft has gotten themselves well established in the console market with the xbox, now they made a loss with the 360 in the first few years of production, thus having to market a entirely new IP would cost them money they dont need to spend, the xbox name does not need to be changed

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="Foulcry"] Clearly you have no idea what your talking about because "Microsoft" is the "Official Brand Name" If you need to go take a course for someone to tell you that then wow that's all I have to say. I don't need you to explain anything to me nor do I want you to. I didn't ask for your opinion and I don't need 101 lesson of how to either I don't care about the brand name that's what I am trying to point out. It's a name that's all a name of Microsoft's product. Obviously you are one of those percentage of people who are ignorant to the fact of change. Get used to it because it happens all the time.Foulcry

Since when was I playing off being an expert I never said I was. I figured you were taking courses thats why I said what I said or did it completely fly over your head? Obviously It did. I also never said people didn't care about brand names I said the majority still stick around while the others don't. Clearly you have poor skills in understanding what someone says. I personally don't care I never tried starting an arguement over this with anyone. I said "Who cares it's a name." my opinion not yours. If i'm entitled to my own opinion then why are you trying to argue with me. If marketing taught you anything then it should have also taught you that you can gain back what you lose. Poeople may stray but they eventually come back. I don't care what kind of degree you have it's common sense and understanding people and how they work and if your huge into Video Games you should know this.

speaking from personal experience i am assuming :| common sense how they work? so a degree in marketing is a degree in common sense? im pretty sure a few more things are taught than that. and no, im not majoring in marketing, im majoring in accounting/finance

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] my goodness, i am doing a business course and have done two units in marketing. You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what you are talking about and are trying to play off that you are an expert. You say that you personally do not care, which is fine, you have your own opinion, but then proceed to say thats brands are 'just a name' and the greater population dont care about them, you are 100% wrong. People definately care about brands, you ask any executive in any major corporation to change their name saying it wont make a difference to their revenue and expense figures, they will laugh you out of the building. hahahahaha it happens all the time? name 3 examples of an established company just straight up changing their name for no reason, im not talking about a merger either, cause that usually unifies two global brands. i can tell you now that you do not understand perfectly, so i suggest you do some research about the importance of brand names before replying again

Y'know, I like you. You usually have really well thought out replies, and you're taking business and marketing courses, so I accept that you probably have more experience in what you're talking about. My question, though, is this: with a company like CocaCola, there are so many other products that they produce that it could feasibly be lost in the shuffle, as it were. For instance, I didn't know Aquafina was a coca cola product until about a year after it was on the market. But Microsoft only makes one game console at a time. In my opinion, it isn't Wii vs Playstation vs Xbox, it's Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft. Maybe it's a by product of gowing up with videogame systems that didn't have series' named for them. I grew up with NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast. Sony started all this silly(IMO) business of rehashing the same name for a new videogame console. We(the Gamers) know that Microsoft built a solid competitor in this Generation, and we hope they will, in the next generation, have a similar footing on which to fight the next console war(with a few obvious fixes, of course).

changing a brand is not impossible, nor is it sometimes a bad idea. But what you have to realise is that when you change a specific brand that people know and identify easily, you have to do a lot of advertisement and the changes have to be pretty drastic. An example would be going from the gameboy to the DS, the DS introduced the touch screen. I may have gotten a little off track there but the main point i was trying to make is that people do care about brands, they are synonymous with the product being purchased, an established well respected brand has a certain level of quality expected from it every time you purchase. Thats why i think changing the xbox brand name now wouldnt be the best idea. Microsoft has gotten themselves well established in the console market with the xbox, now they made a loss with the 360 in the first few years of production, thus having to market a entirely new IP would cost them money they dont need to spend, the xbox name does not need to be changed

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the finer points here, but regardless of the name I'll probably stick with MS next gen.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
i would not only abandon my xbox i would abandon all windows supported software in my home...
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Foulcry
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] my goodness, i am doing a business course and have done two units in marketing. You have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what you are talking about and are trying to play off that you are an expert. You say that you personally do not care, which is fine, you have your own opinion, but then proceed to say thats brands are 'just a name' and the greater population dont care about them, you are 100% wrong. People definately care about brands, you ask any executive in any major corporation to change their name saying it wont make a difference to their revenue and expense figures, they will laugh you out of the building. hahahahaha it happens all the time? it costs way too much money in advertising to change a brand name frequently, so no it does not happen all the time, they will only change a name if the product has failed OR they are doing a massive overhaul to the product (gameboy>DS) but to get that awareness out there is expensive

speaking from personal experience i am assuming :| common sense how they work? so a degree in marketing is a degree in common sense? im pretty sure a few more things are taught than that. and no, im not majoring in marketing, im majoring in accounting/finance

Then why are you even talking?
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="Foulcry"] Since when was I playing off being an expert I never said I was. I figured you were taking courses thats why I said what I said or did it completely fly over your head? Obviously It did. I also never said people didn't care about brand names I said the majority still stick around while the others don't. Clearly you have poor skills in understanding what someone says. I personally don't care I never tried starting an arguement over this with anyone. I said "Who cares it's a name." my opinion not yours. If i'm entitled to my own opinion then why are you trying to argue with me. If marketing taught you anything then it should have also taught you that you can gain back what you lose. Poeople may stray but they eventually come back. I don't care what kind of degree you have it's common sense and understanding people and how they work and if your huge into Video Games you should know this.Foulcry

hahahahahaha oh the irony!!! as previously stated i have done 2 marketing units, what business units have you done?
Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Foulcry

[QUOTE="Foulcry"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

chaoscougar1

hahahahahaha oh the irony!!! as previously stated i have done 2 marketing units, what business units have you done?

Who cares if you've done 2 marketing units that barely qualifies you to make you know what your talking about. Your obviously not understanding me I didn't come in here to tell everyone how Marketing works. You decided to go completely off topic by giving a 101 lesson on Marketing. I said I don't care about a brand name. Me and then you start putting words into my mouth. Does your teacher tell you that you have poor listening skills? He should. You have minimum experience if any and your telling me how the system works. Do yourself a favor just stop yourself right now because your looking for an arguement that never exsisted. I don't pretend to know about marketing and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about. So maybe you should stop pretending yourself. 2 units lol. What Basic **** exactly. Don't try to even tell me you have experience when you don't. you lose.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chaoscougar1

Who cares if you've done 2 marketing units that barely qualifies you to make you know what your talking about. Your obviously not understanding me I didn't come in here to tell everyone how Marketing works. You decided to go completely off topic by giving a 101 lesson on Marketing. I said I don't care about a brand name. Me and then you start putting words into my mouth. Does your teacher tell you that you have poor listening skills? He should. You have minimum experience if any and your telling me how the system works. Do yourself a favor just stop yourself right now because your looking for an arguement that never exsisted. I don't pretend to know about marketing and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about. So maybe you should stop pretending yourself. 2 units lol. What Basic **** exactly. Don't try to even tell me you have experience when you don't. you lose.

Foulcry

there is only one 'e' in argument
If Coca - Cola were to change their name I'm sure they would let the entire world know and I guarantee you people would still drink it. Your telling me that people sway from things based on Name Brands. Well while for some people it might be true, (Ignorant) people in general the majority stay on boardFoulcry
so by people you mean just you right?

you are seriously digging yourself a massive hole here. How is marketing off topic? you are talking about a brand and how well its established, an extremely key area in marketing. i may have 'minimum' knowledge, but that is still much more than you have

I don't pretend to know about marketing and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.Foulcry
so previously when you said "I understand perfectly. As long as it tasted the same who cares. I understand plenty about it. It's just a name" and "Like I said before I understand perfectly" you were lying?

lol stop looking for an argument that never existed? then what on earth are you doing right now?

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Foulcry

[QUOTE="Foulcry"] there is only one 'e' in argument [QUOTE="Foulcry"]If Coca - Cola were to change their name I'm sure they would let the entire world know and I guarantee you people would still drink it. Your telling me that people sway from things based on Name Brands. Well while for some people it might be true, (Ignorant) people in general the majority stay on boardchaoscougar1

so by people you mean just you right?

you are seriously digging yourself a massive hole here. How is marketing off topic? you are talking about a brand and how well its established, an extremely key area in marketing. i may have 'minimum' knowledge, but that is still much more than you have

I don't pretend to know about marketing and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.Foulcry
so previously when you said "I understand perfectly. As long as it tasted the same who cares. I understand plenty about it. It's just a name" and "Like I said before I understand perfectly" you were lying?

lol stop looking for an argument that never existed? then what on earth are you doing right now?

One grow up seriously, Two I understand the Branding aspect It's doesn't mean I major in it or have a degree to go start ranting and raving about it. Knowing about it and Understanding it are completely two different things, Which obviously you think you do have a right to because you have so much experience right? The only one who is digging a whole here is you so I suggest you go take some more classes.