Mass Effect Thumbs up or down

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 0

#51 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="acidBURN1942"]One Thumb Up, Two Thumbs Down (im an alien)

Mass Effect is not GOTY. In fact its not even 9.0 (AAA) material.

1. Paragon is fun, Renegade is just a jerk thats no fun to play as. Oh wait everyone will have the same dialogue reactions whether your paragon or renegade oh YAY!!!! At leeast your character will say something different, 1 out of 10 times. WTF is that!

2. Story is short, story is told in three plot worlds. Its just thrown at you on those worlds, other than that there is no main story. They should have spread it out, made it longer, and made it a much longer RPG stroy and mystery.

3. Side quests are lame, gonna go drive across a barren planet that looks the same on every planet, then drive up to the same building i drive up to on every planet, to kill the same kind of enemies i kill on every planet. rinse and repeat

4. Inventory management, omni gel, money, is all a joke

5. did i mention that the dialogue options are a joke and cover up piss poor writing?

6. Graphics SUX!!!! Yup, make a different model than the defualt model and youll see polygon displacements, look anywhere other than teh faces and you'll see low polygon models. Texture pop in, clipping issues, audio issues.

The thigns I love about Mass Effect is the combat. Its tactical, intense, and skill advacement and leveling is fun and well balanced. very RPG **** yet very real time. Best RPG combat system ever imo.

Bioware should have released it in a year, and made it 40 hours longer (i beat it in 15 hours on hardest difficulty 100% side quests) with no glitches and more varied ROLE playing elements like tehy advertised.

Mass Effect is nothing compared to KOTOR. Kotor has personality everywhere you went, the choices you made affected characters greatly, even no name NPCs. The quests were original and entertaining acroos beautiufl landscapes and colonies (not barren planets like Mass Effect with generic buildings everywhere)
Brutal_Elitegs
FInished it in 15 hours 100%, yeah right. No wonder you found the dialogue poor, you didn't even read it if you finished it that quickly. I agree on some points though, the planets should be a bit more varied rather than going to the same mine/base. The planets don't all look the same, the geometry is similar, they're all barren but...yeah ok they're pretty much the same. Graphics suck? What Godly lookng game are you playing for this to be so low by your standards? I do agree with renegade though, when I was a sith it was pure awesomeness, but getting to punch Emily Wong is priceless. It's still the best game on 360, a flawed masterpiece that can only get better in the sequel.

Dont waste your time with this guy, hes a joke.

I also dont think someone can judge this game if they only spent 10-15 hours on it.

I spent 37 hours on it and still missed a few side quests.

Mass effect is a game you have to take your time with and enjoy ALL IT HAS TO OFFER.

acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
I've played the game three times over now. The first playthrough I was a custom made paragon biotic shotty pistols (vanguard) with high charisma, the second playthrough I was a female custom made snipers pistol tech user (inflitrator) , teh third playthrough I was the default john shepard soldier. On the last playthrough I beat it in 15 hours on veteran.

So i guess it wasnt the hardest difficulty but I did try hardcore on my second playtrhough and it was really fun. After all this I am going to do my ultimate character and play through to level 60 on insane. SO yes your right I have spent so little time with this game that i don't understand it.
wacky_sashimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 wacky_sashimi
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

Again, I enjoyed Mass Effect. What kept it afloat in my mindwas the story, the dialogue, the sound effects (the satisfying echo of a shotgun blast), the score (epic)and the graphics (Ilos and Virmire were gorgeous). But I'm gonna go on a bit of a rant, since it DOES have flaws, and people seem to be laughing them off for some reason.

I thinktheir 'galaxy' design was too ambitious. General concensus I got from the previews was there would be a ton of exploration involved, but instead what I receive are: solar systems consisting of 5 planets, 1-2 of then being surveyable (for experience points and credits), and then 1 of them you're able to land on. There isn't ONE system with more than one landable planet in it. That breaks down to roughly 30 'explorable' planets. On each of these landable planets, you can drive from one side to the other in about 3 minutes. They all have the same rocky, barren, lifeless template, with varying color schemes. No rivers, no flora, no fauna, no variables in the environment. Just mountainous terrain. That really bothered me, and totally killed the illusion ofa huge, living, breathinggalaxy. There are 3-5 surveyable resources/dead bodies/artifacts which in turn, provide more xp and credit. Then there is usually 1 building that you can enter: these come in 3 different varieties. Combat ensues within. Opening containers also ensues. And opening allthose containers becomes quite a chore (kind oflike readingthis rant). Exploration in general was NOT fun, and I wish it had been excluded altogether. And why are there no distinctly 'alien' planets, with a particular race/culture living on it, with at LEAST a small town?I mean, KOTOR has ME beat in this case.Instead, what we get is the Citadel, thatserves as your central hub, and the only 'civilized' place in outerspace that you're givena chance to explore.

On top of those 30 or so traversable planets, there are a few space stations: these aren't particularly well craftedand are also identical to eachother (and take about 5 minutes to explore, kill everything, pickup all items). I found that with all the money I accumulated, I NEVER had to buy ANYTHING. Keep in mind, I played through the first time on the hardest difficulty setting. Even so, money was largely redundant. And there were never any items worth buying, either: I would fortuitously discover items that were MUCH better statistically than the purchasable items. More on the items: there is a set limit of 150 items. I was always receiving the "you now have ___ items, you are close to your 150 item limit" message. Every so often, I would have to go through the 'horrible to navigate' menu to turn all of my useless items into omni-gel; this all-purpose gel (hence the name) lets you open encriptedand lockedcontainers, if and when you screw up a 'timed-button pressing sequence' that feels out of place and is also a bit of a chore...Again, I could save those items for trade-in value with merchants, but since there was nothing worth buying, that would be a waste of time. And whats with the COMPLETE lack of unique items in this game? Did no one else notice this? No super-special prothean assault rifle that you discover deepwithin aProthean pyramid? No special key that youfind on one planetthat unlocks some great series of catacombson another, leading to another unique item? Whats with that? And I know theresome 50different side quests, most of which I played, but none of themcome close tothe quality standard thatthe main quest sets.

Vehicle controls/combat left a lot to be desired. Basically, your roverhas a wimpy machine gun,and a cannon that has splash damage and was generally the onlygun worth using. Combat revolves around you shooting your cannon at turrets and the larger geth (you can run over the weaker enemies easily), while jumping, yes, JUMPING, to avoid taking fire. This is the most ridiculous fighting mechanic I've ever seen in a game of this nature. Its not that it doesn't control well (although on that note, itDOESN'T control very well), its just a really poorly developed concept. I mean, disbelief of realism on my part, as it is a videogame I'm playing, but if the year is 2500 whatever, its safe to assume some kind of heat/moving object seeking technology would be available, so that you can't just literally LEAP over missiles?Its silly, andmore importantly, not as fun ascombat on foot.Some sort ofhovertank would've fixed this, with strafing to dodge... then there could've beensomefaster paced,vehicle vs vehicle combat, and it wouldve beenmore enjoyable than ridingthe unflippable, clunky-handlingrover.

I couldreally put the beats onthe combat system, but I'll keep it short: needs more customization, and better AI.And less explodable fuel cells conveniently strewn about every location enemiesare found.

Lastly, the Paragon/Renegade choice is not Good/Evil. Its Good/Jerk. Disappointing...

wacky_sashimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 wacky_sashimi
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

Again, I enjoyed Mass Effect. What kept it afloat in my mind was the story, the dialogue, the sound effects (the satisfying echo of a shotgun blast), the score (epic)and the graphics (Ilos and Virmire were gorgeous). But I'm gonna go on a bit of a rant, since it DOES have flaws, and people seem to be laughing them off for some reason.

I think their 'galaxy' design was too ambitious. General concensus I got from the previews was there would be a ton of exploration involved, but instead what I receive are: solar systems consisting of 5 planets, 1-2 of then being surveyable (for experience points and credits), and then 1 of them you're able to land on. There isn't ONE system with more than one landable planet in it. That breaks down to roughly 30 'explorable' planets. On each of these landable planets, you can drive from one side to the other in about 3 minutes. They all have the same rocky, barren, lifeless template, with varying color schemes. No rivers, no flora, no fauna, no variables in the environment. Just mountainous terrain. That really bothered me, and totally killed the illusion of a huge, living, breathing galaxy. There are 3-5 surveyable resources/dead bodies/artifacts which in turn, provide more xp and credit. Then there is usually 1 building that you can enter: these come in 3 different varieties. Combat ensues within. Opening containers also ensues. And opening all those containers becomes quite a chore (kind oflike readingthis rant). Exploration in general was NOT fun, and I wish it had been excluded altogether. And why are there no distinctly 'alien' planets, with a particular race/culture living on it, with at LEAST a small town? I mean, KOTOR has ME beat in this case. Instead, what we get is the Citadel, that serves as your central hub, and the only 'civilized' place in outerspace that you're given a chance to explore.

On top of those 30 or so traversable planets, there are a few space stations: these aren't particularly well crafted and are also identical to eachother (and take about 5 minutes to explore, kill everything, pickup all items). I found that with all the money I accumulated, I NEVER had to buy ANYTHING. Keep in mind, I played through the first time on the hardest difficulty setting. Even so, money was largely redundant. And there were never any items worth buying, either: I would fortuitously discover items that were MUCH better statistically than the purchasable items. More on the items: there is a set limit of 150 items. I was always receiving the "you now have ___ items, you are close to your 150 item limit" message. Every so often, I would have to go through the 'horrible to navigate' menu to turn all of my useless items into omni-gel; this all-purpose gel (hence the name) lets you open encripted and locked containers, if and when you screw up a 'timed-button pressing sequence' that feels out of place and is also a bit of a chore...Again, I could save those items for trade-in value with merchants, but since there was nothing worth buying, that would be a waste of time. And whats with the COMPLETE lack of unique items in this game? Did no one else notice this? No super-special prothean assault rifle that you discover deep within aProthean pyramid? No special key that youfind on one planet that unlocks some great series of catacombson another, leading to another unique item? Whats with that? And I know theresome 50 different side quests, most of which I played, but none of them come close to the quality standard that the main quest sets.

Vehicle controls/combat left a lot to be desired. Basically, your rover has a wimpy machine gun,and a cannon that has splash damage and was generally the only gun worth using. Combat revolves around you shooting your cannon at turrets and the larger geth (you can run over the weaker enemies easily), while jumping, yes, JUMPING, to avoid taking fire. This is the most ridiculous fighting mechanic I've ever seen in a game of this nature. Its not that it doesn't control well (although on that note, it DOESN'T control very well), its just a really poorly developed concept. I mean, disbelief of realism on my part, as it is a videogame I'm playing, but if the year is 2500 whatever, its safe to assume some kind of heat/moving object seeking technology would be available, so that you can't just literally LEAP over missiles? Its silly, and more importantly, not as fun ascombat on foot. Some sort of hover tank would've fixed this, with strafing to dodge... then there could've been some faster paced, vehicle vs vehicle combat, and it wouldve been more enjoyable than ridingthe unflippable, clunky-handlingrover.

I could really put the beats on the combat system, but I'll keep it short: needs more customization, and better AI. And less explodable fuel cells conveniently strewn about every location enemies are found.

Lastly, the Paragon/Renegade choice is not Good/Evil. Its Good/Jerk. Disappointing... and yet, I still recommend buying this game.

acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 acidBURN1942
Thats what I've been saying wacky sashimi.
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 acidBURN1942
Thats what I've been saying wacky sashimi. Glad to see someone agrees. I still highly reccomend Mass Effect but its no where near what they marketed it as. Nor where higly quality production values should be focused on for a video GAME.
jamppa-80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 jamppa-80
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts
i dont really know what to say hmm well i love assasin´s creed but when i get mass effect i havent play anything else even i have now=eternal sonata-orange box-call of duty4! but when i start playing mass effect it take me deep somewhere haha and i cant stop playing and what i have seen its long game long time,i have played about 32hour and i dont feel that im on end yet not even close! if people give time this game and make all side quests before main this game take time and give much back :)
garrrig666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 garrrig666
Member since 2003 • 71 Posts
Both thumbs way up
Avatar image for Louis_Routledge
Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Louis_Routledge
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

For me, I give it a thumbs up because I love sci-fi.

For anybody else, I recommend renting it or playing it before buying.

Thombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 Thombo
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
Up its one of the best games Ive eveer played.
Xemmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Xemmy
Member since 2006 • 308 Posts
Thumbs down.Buckley just killed it for me before I even touched it.
stra6es

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 stra6es
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts
You got to be crazy no one that plays Mass effect can actually say the game sucks It's got some graphical issues but the story to the game is one of the best on the 360.
stra6es

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 stra6es
I agree the game should of came out a few months down the road to smooth out the graphical issues. It's to bad that they don't make patches for 360 games like they do with PC games to fix these issues. But I think they will drop some add ons like Oblivion. Overall the games ambitous story will lead to fantastic sequels. I heard that the decisions you make in the first game will register on the sequel from your saved game files. I think the game is great but could use some tweaks
stra6es

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 stra6es

Maybe you should look at my posts concerning lair. I do not think its a 10 game, I rated it a 10 because there are people out there that rate games a 1 lowering the average rating, I highly defend lair to its grave as a great game. I put a 10 to try and average it out. This isnt about Lair. Im not angry either. Im just a passionate gamer who likes to discuss more than just a score, more than just an experience.

I like to discuss the intricies of the gameplay and the experience as a whole. I consider this industry as an art, and I will always discuss intelligently about it. These forums are a waste of non-intelligence, the pc forums are usually better but come on people, lets grow up now, the industry needs it.

You think Mass Effect is a fantastic game, I think its merely good. This is a forum to discuss video games, am I the only one wanting to discuss?
acidBURN1942

I agree thanks for the reply sometimes people use these forums for repressed anger issues. You have to weed through these replies sometimes to find could conversation.