Kinect Placement

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Lebowski__basic
Lebowski__basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lebowski__basic
Member since 2003 • 1252 Posts

Where is the best place to put Kinect, above or below the T.V.?

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

On the video they released about setting up your 'play space' on the 360 dashboard, they said that putting it above the TV adds an extra foot of distance between you and the TV, so I went with that given my tiny play room. I had to buy a $40 mound at best buy to set it up, but now that it's there it looks great.

EDIT: But you should put it as close to eye level as possible, and not directly near any speakers if possible.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
mines still in mail. they say if you can above because it actual gives off more distances from t.v to you. what ever way make sure it center with the t.v . but under is fine to
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I have it above my TV. It's sitting on the actual TV. I don't have a stand, but it's able to rest on there without falling. It's dangerous, but it's the only way for me to play properly right now.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 donalbane

I have it above my TV. It's sitting on the actual TV. I don't have a stand, but it's able to rest on there without falling. It's dangerous, but it's the only way for me to play properly right now.

yokofox33
Who are the sexy dancing asian girls?
chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 chasingmaynard
Member since 2005 • 3416 Posts

Mine is below the TV, right in front of my middle speaker, lol.

It was working fine last night. I'll have to see how it does tonight when I actually try playing the racketball game with my 3 year old.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 donalbane
[QUOTE="chasingmaynard"]

It was working fine last night. I'll have to see how it does tonight when I actually try playing the racketball game with my 3 year old.

The true test of that setup will be when you are playing a non kinect game online and try to chat without the headset. It may have problems, but only one way to find out.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

donalbane

Who are the sexy dancing asian girls?

Kara. Korean girl group.

chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chasingmaynard

[QUOTE="chasingmaynard"]

donalbane

The true test of that setup will be when you are playing a non kinect game online and try to chat without the headset. It may have problems, but only one way to find out.

Oh that's okay. I only chat when my kid is asleep and that is through my Turtle headset. The whole voice recognition thing is cool, but that is one of the novelty's that will probably lose charm quickly for me.

However, my wife and I do like whipping the menus around with our hands. I feel like a Jedi when I do it. Even while navigating in Dance Central. I'm a dancing Jedi.

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
Mine's below the TV on my entertainment stand. I've got plenty of space and am actually thinking of moving it out even further. As of right now the sweet spot is pretty much directly below my ceiling fan, and at 6 ft tall things could get ugly if I jump too high.
chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chasingmaynard

Mine's below the TV on my entertainment stand. I've got plenty of space and am actually thinking of moving it out even further. As of right now the sweet spot is pretty much directly below my ceiling fan, and at 6 ft tall things could get ugly if I jump too high.daviwinn

Awww... crap. I was thinking about having a ceiling fan installed but I only have 7ft ceilings.

You win, Kinect. You win.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 donalbane

[QUOTE="daviwinn"]Mine's below the TV on my entertainment stand. I've got plenty of space and am actually thinking of moving it out even further. As of right now the sweet spot is pretty much directly below my ceiling fan, and at 6 ft tall things could get ugly if I jump too high.chasingmaynard

Awww... crap. I was thinking about having a ceiling fan installed but I only have 7ft ceilings.

Get one of those new badass dyson fans without any blades instead. With that and the Kinect, it will be like a room from a science fiction movie.
chasingmaynard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chasingmaynard

[QUOTE="chasingmaynard"]

[QUOTE="daviwinn"]Mine's below the TV on my entertainment stand. I've got plenty of space and am actually thinking of moving it out even further. As of right now the sweet spot is pretty much directly below my ceiling fan, and at 6 ft tall things could get ugly if I jump too high.donalbane

Get one of those new badass dyson fans without any blades instead. With that and the Kinect, it will be like a room from a science fiction movie.

haha... no kidding. Those babies are expensive though. But according to a post in another thread, I am a rich elitist simply because I bought the Kinect. So maybe I have imaginary money to afford one of those Dyson fans...

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
[QUOTE="chasingmaynard"]

[QUOTE="daviwinn"]Mine's below the TV on my entertainment stand. I've got plenty of space and am actually thinking of moving it out even further. As of right now the sweet spot is pretty much directly below my ceiling fan, and at 6 ft tall things could get ugly if I jump too high.donalbane

those things actuley work? i seen it on t.v like 3am you know where all the sell ads come on. i went like wtf
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

those things actuley work? i seen it on t.v like 3am you know where all the sell ads come on. i went like wtf

They have them setup at Target, they worked ok but they dont 300 dollars worth work. I cant believe anyone would buy one of those thigns.

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
[QUOTE="chasingmaynard"]

Those fans are expensive. I used to work at Sears, and they were roughly $300.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

The closer they are to eye level, the best.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Mine is placed below a projector screen, but you know Dance Central captures you during a type of free dance mode and it's not very flattering (lol). The same goes for the pictures taken in Kinect Adventures. If I had a large television or mount I'd put it on top if there were plans to share screen captures.