deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Anyone else had problems with their X's fans?

My console is shutting down saying that the console is not well ventilated when it is and the console is super quiet, but lately I have been hearing the fan which is loud on occasions.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

I used to have problems with shutdowns, but the console was literally in an enclosed shelf and not getting enough air. Since moving it out, all is well.

Try vacuuming the vents to get any dust out, and make sure both sides are well clear of any obstacles that would block airflow.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/console-turns-off-unexpectedly

I hope this helps.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@i_p_daily: Might have dust build up mate... not sure how you go about cleaning it without opening it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Its weird as it sits under the aircon and which blows cool air directly onto my tv and Xbox.

Once it turned off i checked it and it wasn't even warm.

May need to get the dust buster onto it and give it a good hammering and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions guys i will try it again later and see if it's performing better.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Its weird as it sits under the aircon and which blows cool air directly onto my tv and Xbox.

May need to get the dust buster onto it and give it a good hammering and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions guys i will try it again later and see if it's performing better.

@i_p_daily None of those suggestions are going to work. I preorderd the X1X and after all this time there was barely any dust in the fans or vents. Though I did blow a small amount out yesterday but for how long it's been in service, it was minimal and wouldn't cause these issues. What you are needing to do is take the entire thing apart. Mine is not in a cabinet and well ventilated sitting out in the open on top of my TV console. I would even open the window at night where the temp is in the 30's and it would still randomly happen. It used to never do this and it started happening several times every gaming session about a month ago. The X1X would work perfectly fine doing low level things like watching movies.

I suspected the root cause was poor thermal conductivity of the vapor chamber and the paste finally just pooped out (cracked/dried). I just spent an hour fixing it yesterday. I was so fed up with enhanced/more demanding games like RDR2 causing the console to sound like it was taking off or just abruptly doing a hard shut down...with heat blah blah blah warnings when it booted back up.

The X1X's paste is crap to say the least. It was literally like hardened bubble gum with some areas almost gone and too thick in others. I cleaned the old paste off the APU and vapor cooler, I grabbed some I use on my PC's water cooling blocks and that did the trick. It is completely whisper quite now again. I tested it last night and after 4 hours of gaming w/ RDR2 and Jedi Fallen Order - no shut downs or jet engine fans. You can't even hear the fan unless you stick your head next to it. Takes about an hour to do and is very easy. Just make sure you make a "map" of were the various screws go. Here are a few pics I took while doing it yesterday. You can see my "map" on the table with the screws laid out on it. Makes reassembly very quick and easy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@mobius_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:

@i_p_daily None of those suggestions are going to work. I preorderd the X1X and after all this time there was barely any dust in the fans or vents. Though I did blow a small amount out yesterday but for how long it's been in service, it was minimal and wouldn't cause these issues. What you are needing to do is take the entire thing apart. Mine is not in a cabinet and well ventilated sitting out in the open on top of my TV console. I would even open the window at night where the temp is in the 30's and it would still randomly happen. It used to never do this and it started happening several times every gaming session about a month ago. The X1X would work perfectly fine doing low level things like watching movies.

I suspected the root cause was poor thermal conductivity of the vapor chamber and the paste finally just pooped out (cracked/dried). I just spent an hour fixing it yesterday. I was so fed up with enhanced/more demanding games like RDR2 causing the console to sound like it was taking off or just abruptly doing a hard shut down...with heat blah blah blah warnings when it booted back up.

The X1X's paste is crap to say the least. It was literally like hardened bubble gum with some areas almost gone and too thick in others. I cleaned the old paste off the APU and vapor cooler, I grabbed some I use on my PC's water cooling blocks and that did the trick. It is completely whisper quite now again. I tested it last night and after 4 hours of gaming w/ RDR2 and Jedi Fallen Order - no shut downs or jet engine fans. You can't even hear the fan unless you stick your head next to it. Takes about an hour to do and is very easy. Just make sure you make a "map" of were the various screws go. Here are a few pics I took while doing it yesterday. You can see my "map" on the table with the screws laid out on it. Makes reassembly very quick and easy.

Thanks for the detailed response, but that looks too complicated for me and I don't have any paste etc to put it back together. I cleaned it out thoroughly with my vacuum cleaner and play it for over 3hrs without an issue, but if it shits itself again I will just use my old XB1 as I kept it in case of emergencies.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@i_p_daily: Can of Air.

If you have a vacuum with one of those hose attached. Vacuum out the sides and back.

You should also dust your consoles. Because they suck in all the dust and dirt inside. So dust once a month. Use can of air. Anything to clean it out the best you can.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BlackShirt20 said:

If you have a vacuum with one of those hose attached. Vacuum out the sides and back.

You should also dust your consoles. Because they suck in all the dust and dirt inside. So dust once a month. Use can of air. Anything to clean it out the best you can.

I clean out my entertainment unit once a week, and what the hell is a can of air???

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

I clean out my entertainment unit once a week, and what the hell is a can of air???

It's exactly what it sounds like. It's around $20 at bunnings. It's not hot in your room right? My ps4 can handle our summer days lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@npiet1 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

It's exactly what it sounds like. It's around $20 at bunnings. It's not hot in your room right? My ps4 can handle our summer days lol.

So Bunnings are selling air in a can for $20 and people buy it lol. In all seriousness though, is it like an aerosol can just full of air that you can use to blow dust out of electrical devices?

Shit yeah its hot here as I live in the country where its over 30 everyday during Summer, but I have ducted cooling so it stays cool most days.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 npiet1

@i_p_daily said:
@npiet1 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

So Bunnings are selling air in a can for $20 and people buy it lol. In all seriousness though, is it like an aerosol can just full of air that you can use to blow dust out of electrical devices?

Shit yeah its hot here as I live in the country where its over 30 everyday during Summer, but I have ducted cooling so it stays cool most days.

Yep that's all it is.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/3-in-one-professional-350g-air-duster_p6100311

I know lol we live in the same country. Can't live here without AC

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@i_p_daily: Can of Air is a can filled with air.

Dusting once a week is good. But it doesn’t clean the inside of your Xbox. That’s why you need to vacuum the vents of your Xbox at least once a month. Because when your Xbox is on, it’s constantly pulling in dust and dirty and because it’s electrical the dust stays inside. So using a vacuum hose on the side will pull out a lot of the dust and dirt.

But you need the Can of Air to break the dirt and dust off your hardware so it can be vacuumed out. Shouldn’t need Can of Air after that if you vacuum it more often.

It’s literally the best thing you can do aside from taking it a part and cleaning it. Which if you don’t know what your doing could damage the console.

Also, when using Can of Air, ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE CAN IS UPRIGHT! Their is liquid in the can. So keep it upright so none of it gets on your electric components.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BlackShirt20 said:

@i_p_daily: Can of Air is a can filled with air.

Dusting once a week is good. But it doesn’t clean the inside of your Xbox. That’s why you need to vacuum the vents of your Xbox at least once a month. Because when your Xbox is on, it’s constantly pulling in dust and dirty and because it’s electrical the dust stays inside. So using a vacuum hose on the side will pull out a lot of the dust and dirt.

But you need the Can of Air to break the dirt and dust off your hardware so it can be vacuumed out. Shouldn’t need Can of Air after that if you vacuum it more often.

It’s literally the best thing you can do aside from taking it a part and cleaning it. Which if you don’t know what your doing could damage the console.

Also, when using Can of Air, ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE CAN IS UPRIGHT! Their is liquid in the can. So keep it upright so none of it gets on your electric components.

I won't be using air in a can, I will just pull my X out of my entertainment once a week for a proper clean.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@npiet1 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@npiet1 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@BlackShirt20 said:

Yep that's all it is.

What's worse is I live inland and its real dry, real hot, real humid, I think this year is hotter than the last 5 I've encountered where I am. My poor X is feeling it as I can hear the fans on it now whereas its been silent since I bought it :(

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 npiet1

@i_p_daily said:
@npiet1 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@npiet1 said:
@i_p_daily said:

Yep that's all it is.

What's worse is I live inland and its real dry, real hot, real humid, I think this year is hotter than the last 5 I've encountered where I am. My poor X is feeling it as I can hear the fans on it now whereas its been silent since I bought it :(

Yeah I'm the same, I live a few hours west of Toowoomba. PC is clean and sits at 54'c on idle. Can't wait for summer to be over.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@npiet1 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@npiet1 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@npiet1 said:

Yep that's all it is.

Yeah I'm the same, I live a few hours west of Toowoomba. PC is clean and sits at 54'c on idle. Can't wait for summer to be over.

I'm hearing you, well Summers halfway through, and lets hope the next 6 weeks go by real fast.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

My Xbox One X seems to overheat if it's not plugged straight to the wall, especially with 4k60 games like Wolfenstein. If I use a power extender it's going to shut down, something to do with the built in surge protector.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I have mine since launch day and never had an issue. Do you smoke? That can make dust/fur issues worse. But considering the lack of care I have with my own stuff (I own 3 cats and don't dust my consoles very often) , that might be a mechanical problem with your console.

Or are you playing Borderlands 3? I believe there were some overheating issues with the X version.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@phbz said:

I have mine since launch day and never had an issue. Do you smoke? That can make dust/fur issues worse. But considering the lack of care I have with my own stuff (I own 3 cats and don't dust my consoles very often) , that might be a mechanical problem with your console.

Or are you playing Borderlands 3? I believe there were some overheating issues with the X version.

1) No I don't smoke and neither does anyone else in the house and visitors are not allowed to smoke inside either, so its not that.

2) No pets so no furballs lol

3) I have never played B3

Just a side effect of living in one of the hottest countries in the world :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@Epak_ said:

My Xbox One X seems to overheat if it's not plugged straight to the wall, especially with 4k60 games like Wolfenstein. If I use a power extender it's going to shut down, something to do with the built in surge protector.

Right, I never thought about that as mine is on a surge protector, may have to do some research.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#23 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@i_p_daily: I remember MS recommending not using surge protectors. I think DF even mentioned that. Although I have mine connected to one and never had an issue.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@Epak_ said:

Right, I never thought about that as mine is on a surge protector, may have to do some research.

Try it, I had to buy a longer power cord to do it, but yeah it was worth it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@i_p_daily: If directly plugging into a wall outlet doesn't work you might have to take it apart and clean the fan/inside of the system with compressed air. You'd be surprised how much dust and dirt these newer systems suck in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@phbz said:

@i_p_daily: I remember MS recommending not using surge protectors. I think DF even mentioned that. Although I have mine connected to one and never had an issue.

Yeah very weird, although I did a 10hr+ session on a game on a 40 degree day when it started playing up. :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@Epak_ said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Epak_ said:

Try it, I had to buy a longer power cord to do it, but yeah it was worth it.

Well I do have a 40ft power cord somewhere in the shed that I might have to run down the hallway as all the power points in the loungeroom are taken up :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: If directly plugging into a wall outlet doesn't work you might have to take it apart and clean the fan/inside of the system with compressed air. You'd be surprised how much dust and dirt these newer systems suck in.

I just bought a $600 vacuum cleaner that sucks extremely well, and I used it to suck out any/all dust and the console has been quiet ever since. I think it was just my shitty old vacuum cleaner that wasn't doing the job properly.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Never had that issue with my xbox one x but while I was gone my sister used my xbox and it just stopped working have an xboxseries x though so ya