Is it true that PS3 will kill the PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

inuyasha_ns10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 inuyasha_ns10
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I've read an article that says PS3 performs almost like a PC, you can browse the world wide web, watch a video, play music, slides photos... etc....

I'm still thinking if I'll buy a PS3.

somebody out there who has a PS3 unit.. please tell me if I can install a Starcraft 2 game, which is a PC platfrom, on that unit? does it work?

MindFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MindFreeze
Member since 2007 • 2814 Posts
No.
Lorindol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lorindol
Member since 2004 • 2589 Posts
wrong board man....this is the 360 forums.....
joey101010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 joey101010
Member since 2003 • 7521 Posts
wrong board man....this is the 360 forums.....Lorindol
Hahah yeah. Minor screwup there ;)
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I doubt it, as long as people use computers which is longer then the playstation will be around PC gaming will live.
Zcrimson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Zcrimson07
Member since 2004 • 3493 Posts
lol dude doesnt know what hes talkin about cant expect him to know how to get to the right board
ROMZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ROMZERO
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I wouldn't say that... especially since I'm not an a**hole... Study material

I think the main thing preventing the PS3 from ever ending the PC as a gaming platform is the fact that I have never played a strategy game that is anywhere near as playable on a console. Some games you just need hotkeys and a mouse cursor to play effectively.

diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts

It's a simple impossibility for a console to beat a PC until we get to the point where technology can improve no more physically, and software is the only avenue for improvement (which will never happen)

The key factor you have to look at here is the very nature of both items, consoles are non upgradable, thus ends the discussion. They 'may' be as powerful as the most powerful PC on the market when they are released (most are not even close, including the 360 and PS3) but no new hardware upgrades exist for them and they stand for between 2 and 5 years.

Whereas for the PC, you can buy a new graphics card every coupla months, and there is always new sound technology, CPU's, etc etc to make your computer faster and more powerful. (This is not a discussion about cost, so dont mention the cost to upgrade PCs as a rebuttal)

PCs are, always have been, and always will be more powerful than the current console market at that time. Whether any console fanboys like it or not.

If anythings going to kill the PC market, it's definately not going to be the PS3, thats fer sure.

Oh and for reference, yes, the PS3 was outdated technologically when it was first released, PCs were more powerful then, they are MUCH more powerful now. Developers cant even make their games run acceptably at 720p on the current consoles, how do you expect them to compete with something that can run those same games at full 1080p? (Ok so most games wont run at that res playably yet, but as i said, hardware is always advancing, and 720p is nothing for a PC, but consoles can barely handle it at the current time.)

My laptop alone, which is not that powerful by todays standards, runs Oblivion at more than 720p (1440x900)

ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts

It's a simple impossibility for a console to beat a PC until we get to the point where technology can improve no more physically, and software is the only avenue for improvement (which will never happen)

The key factor you have to look at here is the very nature of both items, consoles are non upgradable, thus ends the discussion. They 'may' be as powerful as the most powerful PC on the market when they are released (most are not even close, including the 360 and PS3) but no new hardware upgrades exist for them and they stand for between 2 and 5 years.

Whereas for the PC, you can buy a new graphics card every coupla months, and there is always new sound technology, CPU's, etc etc to make your computer faster and more powerful. (This is not a discussion about cost, so dont mention the cost to upgrade PCs as a rebuttal)

PCs are, always have been, and always will be more powerful than the current console market at that time. Whether any console fanboys like it or not.

If anythings going to kill the PC market, it's definately not going to be the PS3, thats fer sure.

Oh and for reference, yes, the PS3 was outdated technologically when it was first released, PCs were more powerful then, they are MUCH more powerful now. Developers cant even make their games run acceptably at 720p on the current consoles, how do you expect them to compete with something that can run those same games at full 1080p? (Ok so most games wont run at that res playably yet, but as i said, hardware is always advancing, and 720p is nothing for a PC, but consoles can barely handle it at the current time.)

My laptop alone, which is not that powerful by todays standards, runs Oblivion at more than 720p (1440x900)

diablobasher

why even waste time writing all of that. noone will read it. but anyways bud this is a 360 forum. but no pc gaming trumps every console

buckincrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 buckincrazy
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts
[QUOTE="diablobasher"]

ag3ntz3rox0x

why even waste time writing all of that. noone will read it. but anyways bud this is a 360 forum. but no pc gaming trumps every console

^what he said

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
[QUOTE="ag3ntz3rox0x"][QUOTE="diablobasher"]

buckincrazy

^what he said

I read it and i agree with him.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
A top of the line PC at this point in time will destroy the ps3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c3869dad187c
deactivated-5c3869dad187c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 deactivated-5c3869dad187c
Member since 2005 • 1792 Posts
To answer TC's question, a PS3 won't run Starcraft 2, as you cannot install a PC game onto a PS3's harddrive, and even if you could, it just wouldn't run. Whether PS3 would kill PC, I reckon that just comes down to personal opinion. However it is worth noting that PC's graphics cards can be continually upgraded, producing graphics which can be equal to or even better than a PS3/Xbox 360.
ChickenSoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ChickenSoop
Member since 2004 • 577 Posts

diablobasher
Who would want to spend $400 every 3 months on updating there PC's and Graphic Cards to just to play a couple games? I have spent over $2000 updating my PC for gaming before and then a couple of months later they come out with better Hardware. It's just a waste of time and money, and I'm never going to play PC games any more. It's better just to own both a PS3 and a Xbox 360. If they ever come out with a gaming PC/Console for $700 that could be updated when new hardware like graphics cards and other stuff that would be pretty cool but i think PC gaming is dead unless they lower the Prices. It doesn't matter how advanced PC's are over Console if people aren't going to be able to afford them.
Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
Wrong forum.
diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts
[QUOTE="diablobasher"]

ChickenSoop

Who would want to spend $400 every 3 months on updating there PC's and Graphic Cards to just to play a couple games? I have spent over $2000 updating my PC for gaming before and then a couple of months later they come out with better Hardware. It's just a waste of time and money, and I'm never going to play PC games any more. It's better just to own both a PS3 and a Xbox 360. If they ever come out with a gaming PC/Console for $700 that could be updated when new hardware like graphics cards and other stuff that would be pretty cool but i think PC gaming is dead unless they lower the Prices. It doesn't matter how advanced PC's are over Console if people aren't going to be able to afford them.

Nice. Despite the fact I clearly stated not to post a rebuttal citing costs because it's irrelevent to the discussion at hand, someone still did. I would clap slowly, but that would be pointless.

Besides, anyone who spends $400 every 3 months is a complete tool. At most you should be upgrading your PC yearly, but most people can get away with 3 yearly, and still only spend between $400 and $1000 every 2-3 years. Not to mention games are sometimes up to half the price they are on consoles.

Obviously you've won the discussion.../sarcasm.

The real reason PC gaming could die is lazyness. I sure as hell can't be bothered fiddling around with drivers all the time, so bought me a 360.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah omg hahahahaha

it might replace paper weights, but thats about it

leonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 leonhead
Member since 2007 • 1524 Posts
No, Its true it can do all those things, but the PC just does it like so much better.
Kezman118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kezman118
Member since 2007 • 585 Posts

It a LIE!!!! LIE I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!! LIEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh btw, your on the wrong board

miiiguel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 miiiguel
Member since 2005 • 1940 Posts

Do you still believe in Sony's BS ? Do a nice and funny exercise, search for anouncements and press releases prior to PS3 (or even PS2) debut, and... laugh!

You'll find pearls like "4D gaming!"; "Toy Story like graphics!"; "PS3 will be the only console to do games in HD!"; "next-gen starts when we say so"and of course "PS3 will replace the PC!"...

Yeah..., right...,

miiiguel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 miiiguel
Member since 2005 • 1940 Posts

No, Its true it can do all those things, but the PC just does it like so much better.leonhead

Are you ok mate? He asked if he could install Starcraft (a PC game) on a PS3..., I mean, and you said yes?!!

Of course you can't! Diferent processors, diferent code!, If there's a system a like PC is the 360, and even on this one you can't play PC games!

Anyway, about the PC vs consoles debate, I can't play on an office desk anymore. So nowdays is 360 all the way. PS3 can't handle games very well, so it was an easy choice.

And to OP, "wrong board"!

deltaboarder18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deltaboarder18
Member since 2004 • 2527 Posts
image if PS3 ran Windows Vista... Imagine the amount of Fail...
ChickenSoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChickenSoop
Member since 2004 • 577 Posts
[QUOTE="ChickenSoop"][QUOTE="diablobasher"]

diablobasher

Nice. Despite the fact I clearly stated not to post a rebuttal citing costs because it's irrelevent to the discussion at hand, someone still did. I would clap slowly, but that would be pointless.

Besides, anyone who spends $400 every 3 months is a complete tool. At most you should be upgrading your PC yearly, but most people can get away with 3 yearly, and still only spend between $400 and $1000 every 2-3 years. Not to mention games are sometimes up to half the price they are on consoles.

Obviously you've won the discussion.../sarcasm.

The real reason PC gaming could die is lazyness. I sure as hell can't be bothered fiddling around with drivers all the time, so bought me a 360.

I guess you are right there is no way any console including the PS3 that can kill off PC gaming but PC gaming has died for me atleast I don't see the point in spending any more $$$ to play 1 or 2 games like Crysis and then update my PC again for future games Id rather just enjoy playing MGS4 and Gears of War 2 and many other games that will come out for the consoles.
Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#24 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

A while back I saw someone put Linux on a ps3, but it took about 10 minutes to boot up and ran like a PC from the 1980's. So you aren't going to be able to install PC games on your ps3. The ps3 was dated the day it was released, somehow the x360 has better graphics card in it and it came out a year before the ps3. sony wasted the chance to have a graphically superior console.

but remember, PC > all

50pepsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 50pepsi
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

PC will always pwn Consoles you know why?

1.Mods-Games like Battlefield 2 have mods like Project Reality and Forgotten hope 2 which extend the life of the game,therefore more games last longer with mods,Project Reality takes BF2 from arcady to Realistic enviorments and Forgotten hope 2 is for those WW2 fans but with that BF2 style gameplay..

2.Graphics-fact is Consoles graphics cards are set to a max limit while PC can easly be upgraded..

3.Resoultion-Consoles are JUST now getting into 720p while PC gaming has done that for the last 7 or so years..

Now someones gonna say "Why waste 600 bucks upgrading a computer to run a game" thats the stupied $%$ i ever heard,of course you cant run a decent looking game on Crap hardware,thats like saying "WHY CANT I RUN RESISTANCE ON MY PS1"Fact is most standard PC can run computer games with good graphics

Oh and MP Consoles are just now using 60 player multiplayer while PC has been using 64 for 7 years and games like ArmA have over 150 people in 1 battle.

asimplerapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 asimplerapper
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts
Ps3 doesn't have piracy problems as serious as the PC does these days.
Ravi_1900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Ravi_1900
Member since 2006 • 977 Posts

No you cant install games of PC but minor utilites can be used. So its not a replacement for Pc anyways but you will not have to turn your PC for small things like looking into a gameguide but thats it. But any ways wrong forums. You can buy PS3 for its game but for reason you stated its no way possible.

GEt it if you want 360+PS3=Win as some say just think best of all gaming stuff.

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#28 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts
Only if the PS3 fell onto the PC from a great height.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Hi, dude. You'll want to take this topic to the PS3 board or System Wars. ;) Please read the stickies in the major boards before posting. If you need pointers to begin, check out Welcome Newbies. Thanks!