Is it just me or is GTA IV a little.... meh?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gotcha455
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge GTA fan since GTAIII in 2001, but this game so far just does not seem to be a whole lot of... fun. I just got a 360 and rented this game first, thinking it would be awesome considering the franchises' past and mass critical acclaim, but I'm really considering going back to BlockBuster and picking out another game. I'm only 2 hours in, does it get much better? Who else got this impression from the game?
SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SexyPorkins
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts
No, you are not alone. It doesn't get much better...it stays about the same. Same kinda missions, etc.
DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
Yea I agree with the above posters.
Avatar image for _Classic_Gamer_
_Classic_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _Classic_Gamer_
Member since 2007 • 4776 Posts
It's the S.O.S. from the past GTA's, except they removed the many fun aspects that they developed over the past few years. The only people who enjoy it are GTA fanboys.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Yup, and I was bashed when I went around telling everyone this game was going to be nothing great.

It's boring, and I have yet to even beat the single player (I'm on the last island).

gigaman299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 gigaman299
Member since 2004 • 1735 Posts
It's a fun game to play around with, but I ended up screwing around too much (just exploring), and eventually lost interest in the game around 30 hours in.
SexyPorkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SexyPorkins
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

Yup, and I was bashed when I went around telling everyone this game was going to be nothing great.

It's boring, and I have yet to even beat the single player (I'm on the last island).

limpbizkit818

Wow you are a lot farther than am. I put it down after about 10 hours.

IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts

Its still a great game. I put it down. Not because its boring, but because its so nice that I dont want to end it before the additional missions get released. With Mass Effect they released the DLC and you had to start the game over to play the missions. So...I stop playing GTA4 so I can see what the extra stuff is going to be. I dont think I want to go thru that game again...its long as heck..I explained where I was in the story to a friend of mine who finished it, He said "your close to the end". So I stopped.

To add to that. I believe that ANY game without Co-op campain will be.........meh. GTA4's online is not all that great. It is a welcome addition and I applaud Rockstar for giving it a shot. Its not perfected. Still its a nice addition to a vast game, that has a great storyline. If you guys think the game is.....meh. In the menus what was your addition level?

fartmixer26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fartmixer26
Member since 2008 • 830 Posts
finally, people like me. i agree its not a bad game not at all, but its not everything people make it out to be
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

SexyPorkins

Yea, I'm almost done with it but I just can't make myself put the disk in to finish.

gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gotcha455
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts
[QUOTE="SexyPorkins"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

limpbizkit818

Yea, I'm almost done with it but I just can't make myself put the disk in to finish.

You're as lazy as Biff Loman!

jakedogg14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jakedogg14
Member since 2003 • 665 Posts

It's the S.O.S. from the past GTA's, except they removed the many fun aspects that they developed over the past few years. The only people who enjoy it are GTA fanboys._Classic_Gamer_

Not really. I thought GTA San Andreas was terrible. I actually enjoyed GTAIV.

The older GTA's may be more fun for just messing around and blowing stuff up, but I thought that this had a much better story and missions. I also liked the more serious tone of the game.

I also like the addition of the cover system and new targeting. Shooting in the old GTA's just seemed silly to me, you just sprinted around and shot at people, and they were just too hard to play without the cheats. I played all of GTAIV without using a single cheat.

21lockdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 21lockdown
Member since 2006 • 238 Posts

The only good part of GTA IV is the online feature ;)

Hopewellone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hopewellone
Member since 2005 • 356 Posts
I played for 3 hours at when it launched, let it sit for a few months. Played it for an hour then got bored. Then determined to love it, I played for another six hours a few weeks later and just could not keep going. You know the tv guy that wants to clean up the streets? That's when I stopped. I just got bored of driving, killing a guy, repeat. The sandbox world was very cool. And my jaw dropped when I was buying a suit, drove around the corner and ran right into Times Square at night. It was gorgeous. And then I got a text asking me to go play pool with someone and I just decided to stop playing. The missions are not nearly as fun as the world and that's what makes this such a frustrating mixed bag. There's not nearly enough fun missions for such a cool, realized playground.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
after the hype went people realised its nothing special
H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 H_U_R_D
Member since 2006 • 4006 Posts

i disagree

i find that i cant stop playing GTA 4, maybe its because i only own 4 games, but im on my second play thru and i just cant stop playing it. even with the annoying calls from your friends and girlfriends to go out and the lack of things to do, it still has online play and is one of the best games out there

it also has the best story out of all the gta's that came before it

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts
GTA IV is amazing i cant stop playing because it has an amazing sp and really fun mp and its so realistic way better than that fake jet pack stuff from GTASA
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
2 hours in is nothing, it heats up later on
solidsnake2050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 solidsnake2050
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts
Well this is surprising! I didn't even like any of the old ones, but GTA IV is one of my all time favorite games.
twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
I still love the game. I beat the main story twice and am still having fun in multiplayer.
DarkDemon91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 DarkDemon91
Member since 2006 • 770 Posts
I prefer multiplayer than story mode.
km1498

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 km1498
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts
I really do like this game, the online play is great, but I'm sure I will start to get bored with it soon.
p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts

i miss the drive buys

Avatar image for deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#24 deactivated-5c68d7f3aa14a
Member since 2004 • 1200 Posts
I got to the second island and quit. GTA IV is so ridiculously boring and tedious that I couldn't even work up the nerve to finish it. All of the annoying cell phone calls and boring bowling/dart side missions wrecked this game. It didn't help that you had to drive so much and the missions ended so quickly.
MuscleCarMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25 MuscleCarMan
Member since 2004 • 796 Posts
its a decent game, but thats all.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

i miss the drive buys

p00phead

You still can do drive by's.

Hold the Left Bumper.

migi1688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 migi1688
Member since 2004 • 1918 Posts
get boring and repetitive but i've been drinking but yeah its a lil lame after i beat it havent played it since but it did make me play it all the way through and yeah lol =)
axeman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 axeman87
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts

No mate, your not the only one at all, "Meh" is certainly one way to put it. I rented it also and was looking at my controller and checking the box thinking it was broken or that I had suddenly slipped into a coma.

My review sums it up nicely it think.

Weredawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Weredawg
Member since 2003 • 90 Posts

I loved it. The game is much more serious than the other ones and it's supposed to be dark and realistic and therefore have limitations. I did not enjoy that I did not have as much freedom as in previous GTA games, but that was a minor point as I found the missions to be better and it was the first GTA that I played to the end. With the others I'd reach a few missions and just get bored and give up.

I also think the story was brilliant. A person like Niko would not be able to change just with a snap of your fingers.

Hitchy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hitchy9
Member since 2007 • 2054 Posts
[QUOTE="SexyPorkins"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

limpbizkit818

Pretty much the same scenario for me. I'm on the last island and have around 25 hrs of playing time. I just started getting bored and I now haven't touched the game for about a month.

I will finish it though, one day.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
i liked it enough to finish it 100% so, i just think the world is fun just to drive and walk around in, just doing random stuff
mo52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mo52
Member since 2006 • 112 Posts
its madd over rated i sold that yesterday it's not as fun as the others are
rocketman001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rocketman001
Member since 2007 • 874 Posts

i agree

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

[QUOTE="_Classic_Gamer_"]It's the S.O.S. from the past GTA's, except they removed the many fun aspects that they developed over the past few years. The only people who enjoy it are GTA fanboys.jakedogg14

Not really. I thought GTA San Andreas was terrible. I actually enjoyed GTAIV.

The older GTA's may be more fun for just messing around and blowing stuff up, but I thought that this had a much better story and missions. I also liked the more serious tone of the game.

agree with all that. they removed the stuff that annoyed me the most about SA, namely the ridiculously long drawn out story that often made no sense and the huge amounts of travelling between locations with no ability to skip straight there. i liked niko much more than cj too

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#36 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

have you played saints row, if you have you know what this is gonna be,

same boring objectives, only more boring because saints row plays like it ,and was out first,

and as some one else said , it stays the same , even online, heck it was so boring im still playing san andreas lol ,

as long as i waited, im disappointed,

the guide for the game is even worst, i d like to know what and where every car in the game is like, and looks like, but nope just a useless mission walkthrough, which by the way i did not need , what i needed was a car list or pictures, when i was doing those stupid car arrands,

so ya wasted 20 dollars, on a useless guide and 140 dollars on a useless game as i bought it for ps3 and 360 , lol ,

and the load times suck, i dont remember any load times in san andreas , except walkin in uildings , and that took 2 seconds ivs, takes like 2 minutes, especally online ,

Khizer23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Khizer23
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
There is not much to do other then single player.and single player is terribaly boring

I sold it after 2 days

and went back to cod 4
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

Its still a great game. I put it down. Not because its boring, but because its so nice that I dont want to end it before the additional missions get released. With Mass Effect they released the DLC and you had to start the game over to play the missions. So...I stop playing GTA4 so I can see what the extra stuff is going to be. I dont think I want to go thru that game again...its long as heck..I explained where I was in the story to a friend of mine who finished it, He said "your close to the end". So I stopped.

To add to that. I believe that ANY game without Co-op campain will be.........meh. GTA4's online is not all that great. It is a welcome addition and I applaud Rockstar for giving it a shot. Its not perfected. Still its a nice addition to a vast game, that has a great storyline. If you guys think the game is.....meh. In the menus what was your addition level?

IIJuggaNottII
gta wont be like mass effect for the dlc. if ur games finsihed the new stuff will come on the map thats how the game works. it dont stop when its finished. but mass effect the game finishes after the last level. gta games always stay unlocked once u complete it and leave it free roam. so i wudnt hold off just for that reason . but if ur paranoid why not make a 2nd save game slot and then carry on ur existing one then if im wrong which i doubt then just load the backup save from earlier in the game
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

It started well, but i've lost interest in the middle bit

and yeah, the phone calls annoy me

RD1109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 RD1109
Member since 2008 • 558 Posts

Yeah... I got to like 40% then I only finished it to finish it, and it was no fun. I honestly hate the online component, and I don't like the new image. The old GTA's went for the "B.a.d.a.s.s." image, this one is all serious... Niko isn't that great, and most of the missions are chasing people in cars.... BORING!

RD1109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 RD1109
Member since 2008 • 558 Posts
Oh and GTA IV deserved about an 8.0 - 8.5 not a freaking 10!
Peter_Cheek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 Peter_Cheek
Member since 2007 • 640 Posts
It's not just you and its a lot...meh?
bmcookie797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 bmcookie797
Member since 2004 • 70 Posts
I think the game is great. But ya two hours you are really only driven by the story rather than the gameplay. You most likely do not have a gun yet unless you found one of the hidden packages or stole a police car. Keep going it gets better with time you will out causing havoc in Liberty City in no time.
Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge GTA fan since GTAIII in 2001, but this game so far just does not seem to be a whole lot of... fun. I just got a 360 and rented this game first, thinking it would be awesome considering the franchises' past and mass critical acclaim, but I'm really considering going back to BlockBuster and picking out another game. I'm only 2 hours in, does it get much better? Who else got this impression from the game?gotcha455

Agreed, I find myself putting in my ViceCity just to get my GTA "Fun Factor". I also think the radio lacks in GTAIV.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

The GTA games really opened up the idea of freeplay, and a non linear way of gaming. However, id not like to see the missions themselves be a little less linear.

I want to see hitman style gameplay to the missions

Slipstream720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Slipstream720
Member since 2008 • 287 Posts
yes, it gets better. I love this game!
Weredawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Weredawg
Member since 2003 • 90 Posts

[QUOTE="gotcha455"]Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge GTA fan since GTAIII in 2001, but this game so far just does not seem to be a whole lot of... fun. I just got a 360 and rented this game first, thinking it would be awesome considering the franchises' past and mass critical acclaim, but I'm really considering going back to BlockBuster and picking out another game. I'm only 2 hours in, does it get much better? Who else got this impression from the game?Unassigned

Agreed, I find myself putting in my ViceCity just to get my GTA "Fun Factor". I also think the radio lacks in GTAIV.

I agree that to an extent. The problem is that GTA appeals to a wide fanbase with a broad taste into music so the big risk is, people will be alienated. I didn't like Andreas because of the whole 'gangsta' scenario while it appealed to many other people. To have been better there would have had to have been twice as many songs per channel or twice as many channels.

opethpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 opethpwn
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
It's very "meh". The missions are dull and repetative; the multiplayer is shortlived; and there's only so much fun you can have causing havock in Liberty City - only about 5 minutes of fun to be exact. Stick with San Andreas, it had infinitely more replay value.
dreadedred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dreadedred19
Member since 2007 • 1279 Posts
if youre only 2 hours in, then the missins are VERY slow at that point. after about 7 hours or so you will get an interesting mission like providing sniper support or just getting in a huge shootout. also, cheats are convinient and fun to use so try using cheats to spice up the game for you.
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#50 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
maybe its a good game...but its not for me, too slow and it uses realism in areas that wont help the game much