Is Gears Of War Overrated? (the topic to end all topics!)

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 gamergeek
Member since 2003 • 567 Posts

Probably the most controversial video game ever played did it really live up to the hype?

IMO hell no i always thought this game was overrated since the first E3 demo! then it came out and had one of the worst storylines ive ever played in the history of gaming, not to mention the medeocer multiplayer that was fun for three days.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
I think so.... I mean, it's still a good game, but it's single player was too short, and had a lack of a story to keep you going. I never liked it's MP though.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#3 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
I personally think it is overrated but still a great game to play.
EMERlCa6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 EMERlCa6969
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts
I thought it was to linear. I sold it and got Bioshock. I don't regret the decision at all. Bioshock is better than gears in my eyes.
1upMushroomX6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 1upMushroomX6
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
well if gears of war made it on Vh1 i think it lived up to its hype
footballa27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 footballa27
Member since 2006 • 1109 Posts
i thought it was a great game, but why are we chopping on its single player we all know that epic has never been good with their single player in their past games
Avatar image for gintheplacetobe
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gintheplacetobe
Member since 2003 • 4512 Posts

Even though I somewhat agree (MP sucks, but I still like the co-op), these "Gears Hater" threads need to stop. I doubt you missed the same exact topic that's 3 pages long on the first page.

At least in a month they will be replaced by "I hate Halo 3" threads... :roll:

gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamergeek

well if gears of war made it on Vh1 i think it lived up to its hype1upMushroomX6

i really hope that was a joke

timmotool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 timmotool
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts

[QUOTE="1upMushroomX6"]well if gears of war made it on Vh1 i think it lived up to its hypegamergeek

i really hope that was a joke

nope
digxxbitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 digxxbitty
Member since 2006 • 457 Posts
there's not variety in gameplay
Dead_Prophecy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dead_Prophecy
Member since 2005 • 7305 Posts
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. All I know is that I think the game is boring as all hell.
goallie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 goallie
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts
Yes, it is. The single player, while fun is far too short, and lacks a solid story, multiplayer has few strong points, and doesn't compare to better online shooters, such as Rainbow Six Vegas.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
I dont think its overated at all I think its the best game on the 360(havent played Bioshock yet). I think the Halo series is a lot more overrated then anything else it gets so much hype and each time I get one of the Halo games it always disappoints.
jc_tkml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 jc_tkml
Member since 2005 • 1172 Posts

Probably the most controversial video game ever played did it really live up to the hype?

IMO hell no i always thought this game was overrated since the first E3 demo! then it came out and had one of the worst storylines ive ever played in the history of gaming, not to mention the medeocer multiplayer that was fun for three days.

gamergeek

dude you contradicted yourself by saying hell no because your saying that the game is mediocre yet your saying that it isn't overrated that's funny hehe

gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamergeek
[QUOTE="gamergeek"]

jc_tkml

dude you contradicted yourself by saying hell no because your saying that the game is mediocre yet your saying that it isn't overrated that's funny hehe

were did i say it isn't overrated.........

lacrimosamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lacrimosamo
Member since 2005 • 691 Posts
Personally I like this game a lot. I think MP is great and I liked the campaign too though its really short.
gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamergeek

Personally I like this game a lot. I think MP is great and I liked the campaign too though its really short. lacrimosamo

do you think it deserves a 9.6 on gamespot though.....

gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamergeek

Personally I like this game a lot. I think MP is great and I liked the campaign too though its really short. lacrimosamo

do you think it deserves a 9.6 on gamespot though.....

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11937 Posts
In short, yes.
UKLTLEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UKLTLEMON
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts
very overated i completed story in 1 day and although the MP feels as though it lasts long it is acualy just verry repetative although it is a great game dont get me wrong
Avatar image for thegame27_basic
thegame27_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thegame27_basic
Member since 2002 • 1980 Posts

Overrated...yes.

Good game...yes.

I love games with very detailed storylines, and Gears was probably the worst story ever told in a game. It was cliche and had no depth what so ever. The gameplay is awesome, one player, co-op, and online. But, an 8 hour game with no story hurts my rating.

JTH_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 JTH_22
Member since 2005 • 1438 Posts
I don't think it was overrated but I do agree with some others on here that Bioshock is better.
Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts
I think its over-rated but I still have a blast playing it. Campaign needs to be longer, more weapon variety, and Epic seriously needs to get servers or somethign to stop the host.
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
It's a good game.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 samcotts
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts
Best 360 game to date (should be pretty much beaten by CoD4 and mass effect though), so even though it is a little short, and the multiplayer isn't great, it's still the best shooting game i've played and defiantly worth a 9.6.
UKLTLEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UKLTLEMON

Overrated...yes.

Good game...yes.

I love games with very detailed storylines, and Gears was probably the worst story ever told in a game. It was cliche and had no depth what so ever. The gameplay is awesome, one player, co-op, and online. But, an 8 hour game with no story hurts my rating.

thegame27_basic

agreed

angel-of-rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 angel-of-rain
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
I rented it one time and it was ok. The online I thought was garbage though, I didn't like that at all. I don't really prefer shooters but I still love Halo and BioShock. And yes, girls do like shooting video games. My sister and I love them.
conorJgeraghty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 conorJgeraghty
Member since 2007 • 222 Posts
READ MY BLOG IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE GOW STORYLINE
Avatar image for Keitarourashima
Keitarourashima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Keitarourashima
Member since 2004 • 1422 Posts

When I see ppl chopping up the storyline of gears, I think y'all missed the point of this game.

Raw brutal action, I think alot of ppl will agree that a story doesn't make a game, it's how it is told.

This old concept of a bunch of macho men kickin' alien booty was made good I think, I mean did no one enjoy "the predator" with Arnold? u want an overrated game? play Halo, any of the 2, ppl afraid of cutting loose of the mainstream if u ask me, not to say it aint great, it's just not as great as the hype suggests.

wich is also true here, and I do believe the question was if it was ovrrated? no, over-hyped? of course.

high expectations usually disappoint in the end (see "Borat" for reference)

TemkaNY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TemkaNY
Member since 2004 • 479 Posts
the thing that i cant get, is that why you guys cry about MP. IMO its Uber !
Keitarourashima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Keitarourashima
and another thing, u want a good story, read a book, watch a movie, the world isn't exactly poor on good stories.
gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamergeek

and another thing, u want a good story, read a book, watch a movie, the world isn't exactly poor on good stories.Keitarourashima

Were talking about games here kid not books or movies.

YourLastDay86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 YourLastDay86
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
Horrible. Just. Horrible.
Keitarourashima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Keitarourashima
if you didn't read my previous post, shush
LUK3isH3RE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LUK3isH3RE
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

gamergeek

Lol. I very much doubt that it had one of the worst storylines in gaming history. Also, I still play MP on it again every so often and have a lot of fun with it even 9 months after getting it.
So clearly everything you've said is completely subjective and mere opinion rather than clear faults with the game.
Also, I very much doubt that this'll be the the topic to end all topics. I'm sure we'll have another one with exactly the same or very similar question tomorrow.

rbop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rbop
Member since 2003 • 513 Posts
I am a gamer from waaaay back (2600 anyone) and this is the first game since Halo CE to hold my undivided attention for weeks. The campaign mode was campy and gory and over-the-top in the best possible way. The "corny" voice acting was done to perfection. And the graphics and sound are untouched by anyone's standard. How anyone can say that the game is overrated perplexes me... unless they don't "get it" I guess. Online co-op OWNS by the way. My 2. Peez. Game on!
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 samcotts
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

[QUOTE="Keitarourashima"]and another thing, u want a good story, read a book, watch a movie, the world isn't exactly poor on good stories.gamergeek

Were talking about games here kid not books or movies.

No need to patronise the guy, he makes a good point. A game is good for it's gameplay, especially a shooter, the story barley matters in a game like this.

chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts

gamergeek

Im sorry i can't help but ask. Is that sarcasm??

conorJgeraghty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 conorJgeraghty
Member since 2007 • 222 Posts
atari 2600 rocks!!w00t
Avatar image for thegame27_basic
thegame27_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thegame27_basic
Member since 2002 • 1980 Posts

When I see ppl chopping up the storyline of gears, I think y'all missed the point of this game.

Raw brutal action, I think alot of ppl will agree that a story doesn't make a game, it's how it is told.

This old concept of a bunch of macho men kickin' alien booty was made good I think, I mean did no one enjoy "the predator" with Arnold? u want an overrated game? play Halo, any of the 2, ppl afraid of cutting loose of the mainstream if u ask me, not to say it aint great, it's just not as great as the hype suggests.

wich is also true here, and I do believe the question was if it was ovrrated? no, over-hyped? of course.

Keitarourashima

I loved predator, I like Gears for being a kick a** brutal game, but like classic high rated good movies have great stories that are told great, filmed great, great acting, it takes a lot for a movie to get a 9.6 rating. Classic high rated movies have it all. Gears was good for what it was, but as a game in general it was not 9.6, it did not have it "all".

thomass60r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 thomass60r
Member since 2006 • 1928 Posts
I thought it was to linear. I sold it and got Bioshock. I don't regret the decision at all. Bioshock is better than gears in my eyes.EMERlCa6969
yep it must be crap thats why its on your played list as one of the latest
rbop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rbop
Member since 2003 • 513 Posts

@ conorJqeraghty:

yeah it does... remember when games had names like 'Football' and 'Combat'? haha. fun fun.

gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gamergeek
[QUOTE="Keitarourashima"]

thegame27_basic

I loved predator, I like Gears for being a kick a** brutal game, but like classic high rated good movies have great stories that are told great, filmed great, great acting, it takes a lot for a movie to get a 9.6 rating. Classic high rated movies have it all. Gears was good for what it was, but as a game in general it was not 9.6, it did not have it "all".

finally someone who got it right.

thomass60r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thomass60r
very overated i completed story in 1 day and although the MP feels as though it lasts long it is acualy just verry repetative although it is a great game dont get me wrongUKLTLEMON
oh my god you have on your sig GEARS OF WAR ADDICT and your calling to way overrated lol
UKLTLEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UKLTLEMON
yes im verry addicted although i do find it repetative and i find it hard to play for more than an hour happy?
gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gamergeek
what the point of having a sig if you dont want anyone to see it?
thomass60r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thomass60r
[QUOTE="UKLTLEMON"]yes im verry addicted although i do find it repetative and i find it hard to play for more than an hour happy?[/QUO i was not being rude in anyway i was just wondering why you said it was way overrated and got repetative and you had addict in your sig
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Did it live up the hype? Well that's a question for each and every one of us. It can't be answered in a general sense, unless you want to look at sales figures and the amount of people who play it on Live everyday, then the answer would be a resounding yes.

I really liked the cover system and the way the game felt. I also liked the single player, and while I felt it was too short, it was fun while it lasted, but I just couldn't get into it online. I didn't have any fun when I played it online and thus the game become old to me real quick. I beat it three times not counting co-op, but the multiplayer was just boring to me.

I also didn't care for the way the maps were laid out and more specifically, I just didn't feel that the maps complimented the gameplay very well. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but the game didn't play as well online against people as it did by myself in the story mode. It was a good game, but I don't appreciate it the way many other people do.

rulo_rezn0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 rulo_rezn0r
Member since 2006 • 1351 Posts

I think gears of war is a very good game, the best 360 game out ther no doubt

i have played games like GRAW, GRAW2, Rainbow Six, Darkness, Lost Planet, Oblivion and all the 360 hits, im already tired and bored of them all!

the only game i still play is gears of war (and halo 2), and it was the first game i purchased..soooo, i dunt think its overrated, its a worthy experience, although the multiplayer is kinda mediocre im addicted to it and i dunno why