I think I am done with achievements

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Dredg11
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
[QUOTE="Dredg11"][QUOTE="Palantas"]

Why? The purpose of gaming is to have fun. If people have fun increasing their Gamerscore, then they're accomplishing what any hobby is supposed to accomplish. You criticize gamers who play for points for being arrogant, then go on a public forum calling a certain form of gaming "lame."

DZBricktop

This certain "form of gaming" you're refering to, is being an achievement whore. That IS lame. If expressing that opinion makes me arrogant in your insignificant books, I can live with that.

You're lame. Go away.

You're missing Palantas point. Just because it's no fun to YOU, and YOU think it's lame, doesn't mean other people don't enjoy it. Who are you to say what's fun for me? To call someone lame because their opinion is different than yours, just makes me value your opinion less because you won't listen to mine. I don't enjoy it. But i can accept that other people do.

Wow...both you tards need to learn how to read. I said "People are playing games THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY" (Kung Fu Panda, Wall-E). Therefore, they're not having fun. They are making a chore out of playing a game JUST FOR POINTS!

If that's not lame, I don't know what is.

guitardude1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 guitardude1243
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
I just play and if I get the ahievement great, if I don't then whatever. Some games like Halo and Call of Duty, because I like the games so much I attempt to 1000/1000, but just renting games for achievements seems silly to me.
Isual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#53 Isual
Member since 2003 • 429 Posts
i prefer to 1000 games that i like, mostly RPGs, action gams like dmc4 or ng2. a couple of shooters as well.  perhaps i could have been an achievement whore, but only though if i got my 360 during its first year.  i got mine around last year this time, and bought games that i liked, 1k'd some of them because i like them, and to increase my score.  im not going whore gs. unless it something i like.
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
[QUOTE="DZBricktop"][QUOTE="Dredg11"]

This certain "form of gaming" you're refering to, is being an achievement whore. That IS lame. If expressing that opinion makes me arrogant in your insignificant books, I can live with that.

You're lame. Go away.

Dredg11

You're missing Palantas point. Just because it's no fun to YOU, and YOU think it's lame, doesn't mean other people don't enjoy it. Who are you to say what's fun for me? To call someone lame because their opinion is different than yours, just makes me value your opinion less because you won't listen to mine. I don't enjoy it. But i can accept that other people do.

Wow...both you tards need to learn how to read. I said "People are playing games THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY" (Kung Fu Panda, Wall-E). Therefore, they're not having fun. They are making a chore out of playing a game JUST FOR POINTS!

If people ENJOY getting points, and they ENJOY achievements, who are you to say they don't want to play these games? If those games did NOT have achievements, then they probably wouldn't play them. But they do. And people ENJOY getting the points and achievements. So they ENJOY those games because they get the fun out of it they want. It's not our fault you can't wrap your head around the fact that someone might enjoy a game in a way you don't understand. The only thing lame, is that YOU can't accept that people enjoy other things than you.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Dredg11

Yes, making value judgements about other peoples' hobbies is extremely presumptuous, by any standard. This is the same mindset that has people going around saying that gaming is silly and for children, and we should all read books, play golf, or go fishing.

You're lame. Go away.

Dredg11

I'd use the phrase "ad hominem attack," but I think it might be wasted on you.

Dredg11

So now you've determined that people who play for achievements are not having fun. On what did you base that diagnosis? I haven't done any research here, but I think it's a safe bet that people who play games just for achievements probably want to do so. I don't think anyone's forcing them to play Wall-E or whatever. Let me get this straight: Not only have you determined that certain peoples' hobbies are "lame," you can also tell better than they can how much fun they're having with it. Really? I'd love to know how you did this.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Dredg11
[QUOTE="Dredg11"][QUOTE="DZBricktop"]

DZBricktop

If people ENJOY getting points, and they ENJOY achievements, who are you to say they don't want to play these games? If those games did NOT have achievements, then they probably wouldn't play them. But they do. And people ENJOY getting the points and achievements. So they ENJOY those games because they get the fun out of it they want. It's not our fault you can't wrap your head around the fact that someone might enjoy a game in a way you don't understand. The only thing lame, is that YOU can't accept that people enjoy other things than you.

lol...this is why you don't get into the firefight late.

I'm not the one who said they didn't wanna play it. But when you have people on your friends list playing a game like Kung Fu Panda, and you send them a message saying "Why are you playing a 5 year olds game?" and they reply "lol...to get 1000 points". That tells me they have no interest in the game.

To say that if those games didn't have achievements, they probably wouldn't play, is only proving my point further.

You don't even understand what we're talking about here.

The guy below me is a good example of what I'm talking about. He got 1000 points from A GAME HE DID NOT WANT TO PLAY.

Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#57 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
[QUOTE="Hawkeye747"]

I can see where you are coming from, but it is only really a problem for the self proclaimed "achievement whores". For those that aren't obsessed with getting achievements, it's not even a slight issue. Achievements are just small extra's for those that want to try and get them. If they seem like a chore to you, then you shouldn't be trying to get them IMO.

I'd prefer for the true fans of certain games to be the ones that get 1000/1000 rather than the ones that just play games for achievement points. Anyone that has that Avatar game, where you get 1000 achievement points in 2 minute, in their history is 99% for sure an achievement whore IMO.

I have no doubt you are a true gamer and would have gotten 1000/1000 on a ton of games even if you weren't an achievement chaser, but if they seem like work to get them, then maybe you shouldn't bother.  I think achievements like "Obsessed" are meant for people that are really obsessed with their game, not for those obsessed with achievements.

shawn7324
I got the Avatar 1000 points only because my friends nephew had the game as I would never actually pay money to even rent garbage like that. I won't play a game I absolutely can't stand, no matter how easy the achievements may be. I buy & play games I know I will enjoy. I may buy & play a whole bunch of games, but the purpose is always to have fun & achievements are just extras within that process.

Same here. I only got 1000 from avatar because my cousin had the game. Lol.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Palantas

I'm not the one who said they didn't wanna play it.

Dredg11

I said "People are playing games THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY"

Dredg11

I uh... All righty, then. Moving on...

I'm not the one who said they didn't wanna play it. But when you have people on your friends list playing a game like Kung Fu Panda, and you send them a message saying "Why are you playing a 5 year olds game?" and they reply "lol...to get 1000 points". That tells me they have no interest in the game.

Dredg11

So what if they have no interest in the game? They have an interest in the points, which (get this) is interesting to them, and therefore, fun.

The guy below me is a good example of what I'm talking about. He got 1000 points from A GAME HE DID NOT WANT TO PLAY.

Dredg11

And again: What, did someone put a gun to his head and make him play Avatar? If he didn't want to play Avatar, at all, then he probably would not have.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Dredg11

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

I said "People are playing games THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO PLAY"

Palantas

I uh... All righty, then. Moving on...

Dredg11

So what if they have no interest in the game? They have an interest in the points, which (get this) is interesting to them, and therefore, fun.

Dredg11

And again: What, did someone put a gun to his head and make him play Avatar? If he didn't want to play Avatar, at all, then he probably would not have.

Wow...you're an astronomical nutsack. So now you're saying "So what if they have no interest in the game?". That was my point, people playing games they have no interest in, just for the points. Lame.

I understand that people don't have to play them, and nobody is making them. We clear on that? Maybe? Ok, good. But people are saying "No, I didn't wanna play it. But I sat through it anyway for the 1000 points on my Gamerscore.", or even worse "I had my buddy recover my profile and do it for me for the points."

I think (you know, my opinion - the purpose of a forum) that's lame.

Most other people would agree. You just like to respond, quote by quote, to just about everyone you respond to, in an attempt to "own" them. You obviously spend a lot of time on the internet argueing with people. Too bad you suck at it. You argue like a damn politician. Always going in circles.

Nice blog, btw...lol.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Palantas

Most of your latest post is pointless insults and red herrings, so I'm going to ignore everything but this:

So now you're saying "So what if they have no interest in the game?". That was my point, people playing games they have no interest in, just for the points. Lame.

Dredg11

I understood your point perfectly. I already responded to it before you went on your mini-rant about me, but I'll do so again just so my point's clear: The only qualification for a good hobby is that someone enjoys it. If people like playing for points, then they're fulfilling that qualification. There's no "right way" to play games.

EDIT: Spelling and stuff.

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts
i see where ur coming from too...that obsessed achievement just sounds stupid...it really is a cheap way to get ppl to play ur game...thats why i liked what Gears of War2 did has done...achievements for story mode..then difficulty...then made the MP achievements pretty easy to get...the only realy annoyin one is seriously 2.0...but they made it so u can get it by getting kills in any mode..which is smart...when u make the achievements attainable like that..it makes a for a smoother game play..and no people only doing one thing for their stupid achievements
Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

LMAO dredg, give up dude. 

One guy doesn't seem to have the comprehension to actually READ what you type and just keeps repeating the same thing, the other seems like he is so high up on his horse that he cant even reach the soapbox he used to get up there.

I think it is lame to play a game PURELY for the achievement points as well.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Palantas

Hawkeye747

Since you've joined the discussion, perhaps you can tell me why playing games for one reason is any better than playing them for another, if you're having a good time doing it. Dredg has been completely unable to do this so far, with most of his post real estate being given over to personal attacks and blatant contradictions. Maybe you can make some more sense of this.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts

I can see where you are coming from, but it is only really a problem for the self proclaimed "achievement whores". For those that aren't obsessed with getting achievements, it's not even a slight issue. Achievements are just small extra's for those that want to try and get them. If they seem like a chore to you, then you shouldn't be trying to get them IMO.

I'd prefer for the true fans of certain games to be the ones that get 1000/1000 rather than the ones that just play games for achievement points. Anyone that has that Avatar game, where you get 1000 achievement points in 2 minute, in their history is 99% for sure an achievement whore IMO.

I have no doubt you are a true gamer and would have gotten 1000/1000 on a ton of games even if you weren't an achievement chaser, but if they seem like work to get them, then maybe you shouldn't bother.  I think achievements like "Obsessed" are meant for people that are really obsessed with their game, not for those obsessed with achievements.

Hawkeye747
couldn't agree more
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Dredg11

[QUOTE="Hawkeye747"]

Palantas

Since you've joined the discussion, perhaps you can tell me why playing games for one reason is any better than playing them for another, if you're having a good time doing it. Dredg has been completely unable to do this so far, with most of his post real estate being given over to personal attacks and blatant contradictions. Maybe you can make some more sense of this.

lol...whatever buddy. You just use semantics in a lame attempt to get your point across.

"Perhaps you can tell me why playing games for one reason is any better than playing them for another, if you're having a good time doing it."

This is the point your failing to see. THEY ARE NOT HAVING A GOOD TIME. If that's what you think, we're not even talking about the same people.

I'm talking about the blatant achievement whores, who play a game, with or without interest, for the SOLE PURPOSE of getting achievement points. The only thing lamer than doing that, is trying to defend it, as you are.

Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

[QUOTE="Hawkeye747"]

Palantas

Who said anything about one being BETTER than the other? I said I think it is lame. Thats my opinion, I have a few million of them. Arguing about how an apple is better than an orange is not in my opinions. The object of gaming is to have fun, if you slog through hours of "not fun" to get 1000 points on your GS then that is lame IMO. That's pretty much exactly what dredg said as well and you managed to turn it into a "my reason for gaming versus yours" debate like a seasoned troll. Congrats.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Palantas

I said I think it is lame. Thats my opinion, I have a few million of them.

Hawkeye747

That's fine. You can have whatever opinion you like, but when you post it up in a public forum, expect it to be criticized if it doesn't make sense, particularly if it insults other people. If you don't feel that you have to justify your opinion to me or anyone (which you don't), then move on. Of course, you didn't express it as your opinion; you just stated it as a fact. Speaking of that, you're telling other gamers that what they're doing with their free time is lame...but I'm supposedly trolling.

Moving on, I'll respond to both of these at once, since they're saying the same thing:

This is the point your failing to see. THEY ARE NOT HAVING A GOOD TIME. If that's what you think, we're not even talking about the same people.

Dredg11

I already asked you how you determined whether or not someone's having a good time, and you just ignored it and responded with insults. I figured we'd go with the simple explanation, that if someone's doing something in their spare time that no one is forcing them to do, then they're probably enjoying it. Yeah, I guess I agree that if someone is deliberately making himself consistently miserable with gaming, then there's something wrong with that. However, I don't I think that's what most achievement gamers are doing. There are lots of hobbies that are goal-oriented, where the finished product is what a person enjoys, not necessarily the making/doing of it. Example: I don't enjoy working out, but I do enjoy looking good/being healthy.

If that's what you think, we're not even talking about the same people.

Dredg11

So, are you saying that you weren't speaking to people who play for achievements in general, you were just talking about some tiny, tiny percentage of gamers who play for achievements, get no pay-off from it, and are generally miserable because of it?

EDIT: Formatting

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Dredg11

[QUOTE="Hawkeye747"]

That's fine. You can have whatever opinion you like, but when you post it up in a public forum, expect it to be criticized if it doesn't make sense, particularly if it insults other people. If you don't feel that you have to justify your opinion to me or anyone (which you don't), then move on. Of course, you didn't express it as your opinion; you just stated it as a fact. Speaking of that, you're telling other gamers that what they're doing with their free time is lame...but I'm supposedly trolling.

Moving on, I'll respond to both of these at once, since they're saying the same thing:

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

Palantas

I already asked you how you determined whether or not someone's having a good time, and you just ignored it and responded with insults. I figured we'd go with the simple explanation, that if someone's doing something in their spare time that no one is forcing them to do, then they're probably enjoying it. Yeah, I guess I agree that if someone is deliberately making himself consistently miserable with gaming, then there's something wrong with that. However, I don't I think that's what most achievement gamers are doing. There are lots of hobbies that are goal-oriented, where the finished product is what a person enjoys, not necessarily the making/doing of it. Example: I don't enjoy working out, but I do enjoy looking good/being healthy.

If that's what you think, we're not even talking about the same people.

Dredg11

So, are you saying that you weren't speaking to people who play for achievements in general, you were just talking about some tiny, tiny percentage of gamers who play for achievements, get no pay-off from it, and are generally miserable because of it?

EDIT: Formatting

ugh...Go play in traffic or something. You win, troll.

edit: Looking at your profile reveals a lot about you. I'm starting to understand why you argue like a politician. You're in the military. I take back that "go play in traffic" with "go play in a gunfight".

I pity you. I really do.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Dredg11

This guy is basically the definition of a tool. Let him troll on his own.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Palantas

The funniest part is this though. You said "Of course, you didn't express it as an opinion; you stated it as fact.". My exact wording was "I think it is lame to play a game PURELY for the achievement points as well". The part where I said "I THINK" makes it an opinion... not a statement of fact.

Hawkeye747

You're correct. I misread your statement up there, and you did in fact preface it with "I think." I was wrong about that bit, and I apologize.

Fortunately, that mistake doesn't significantly change my argument. Edit my post to read:

That's fine. You can have whatever opinion you like, but when you post it up in a public forum, expect it to be criticized if it doesn't make sense, particularly if it insults other people. You're telling other gamers that what they're doing with their free time is lame...but I'm supposedly trolling.

I

Now that I've apologized for my mistake, and we've cleared that up, you can actually respond to the issues being raised.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Palantas

I thought you were leaving. This is off-topic, so I'll try to keep it short.

edit: Looking at your profile reveals a lot about you. I'm starting to understand why you argue like a politician. You're in the military. I take back that "go play in traffic" with "go play in a gunfight".

Dredg11

Looking at my profile reveals a lot about me....like that I'm in the military. Yup. It says so. But "I argue like a politician"? That makes no sense at all. Political campaigns are saturated with personal attacks, appeals to motive, and a lots of other nonsense. I'll give you a couple quick examples.

Personal attack:

Wow...you're an astronomical nutsack.

Dredg11

Appeal to motive:

I get the feeling he's a closet achievement whore.

Dredg11

Anyway, this is getting too long. No, I don't argue like a politician. I haven't once questioned who you are, why you're posting here, or how you're posting here, because they have nothing to do with the argument.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i don't care about them. i just ry to get them if not then i skip it.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts
Just throwing this out there, you don't have to play Brothers in Arms 100 days straight. Just 100 days and that just requires loading up the main menu. Then the achievment is possible to glitch so it's not like they're asking for alot.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 dukebd699

I thought you were leaving. This is off-topic, so I'll try to keep it short.

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

Looking at my profile reveals a lot about me....like that I'm in the military. Yup. It says so. But "I argue like a politician"? That makes no sense at all. Political campaigns are saturated with personal attacks, appeals to motive, and a lots of other nonsense. I'll give you a couple quick examples.

Personal attack:

[QUOTE="Dredg11"] May I dare say owned?

[QUOTE="Dredg11"][QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="Hawkeye747"]

The funniest part is this though. You said "Of course, you didn't express it as an opinion; you stated it as fact.". My exact wording was "I think it is lame to play a game PURELY for the achievement points as well". The part where I said "I THINK" makes it an opinion... not a statement of fact.

Palantas

You're correct. I misread your statement up there, and you did in fact preface it with "I think." I was wrong about that bit, and I apologize.

Fortunately, that mistake doesn't significantly change my argument. Edit my post to read:

That's fine. You can have whatever opinion you like, but when you post it up in a public forum, expect it to be criticized if it doesn't make sense, particularly if it insults other people. You're telling other gamers that what they're doing with their free time is lame...but I'm supposedly trolling.

I

Now that I've apologized for my mistake, and we've cleared that up, you can actually respond to the issues being raised.

No, just go to Iraq and get shot or something.

Wow, talk about low. You are telling someone to die because they made a simple mistake while reading a post. I mean to be completely offensive when I say, you come off as total scum for saying something like that.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Dredg11

Sure, if quoting a person multiple times in a thread means owned.

This guy is a tool. He uses semantics to get his point across. It's all word play.

I said (not in so many words): I have a few people on my friend's list on Xbox Live who I see playing kid games on Xbox Live every now and then. Games like Kung Fu Panda, Wall-E, Surf's Up...etc.

So, once I got a chuckle out of seeing a guy on my list playing "Wall-E". So I asked him what was up with that. This guy is usually playing Gears of War and COD. So, the reply I got was "lol I'm just doing it to get the 1000 points."

Now, if you talk to achievement whores out there, they'll tell you that they play some games ONLY for the points. They don't really wanna play the game. They just want the points.

I said "I think it's lame that people play games they don't really wanna play, just to get the points."

Then, I have this douchy guy, repeatedly telling me "Nobody is putting a gun to their head, making them play. They don't have to play if they don't want to"...etc etc.

I think that goes without saying, genius.

He's just taking the words too literally, twisting words to give them a different meaning. Even after I explain time and time again, the retard doesn't get it.

I guess it's true what they say, failures go to the military.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Palantas

I thought you were leaving? I should just be ignoring you. Damn. Here goes:

Dredg seems to think that playing games for achievements is stupid. I responded that to some people, earning achievements is more important than the game itself. Dredg responded that this isn't fun, and that the people who do it aren't having fun. I questioned him twice on his basis for this conclusion, and gave examples of another hobby which functions in a similar manner...to which he replied that he hopes I die.

There. I summed up everything without quotes. ;) What's as disturbing as his ill will towards his fellow man is the fact that Dredg believes this wins him the argument.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
normally i don't play through a game more than once (before i got the 360).....but since the 360 and achievements, i find myself completing games multiples times....achievements help me do so...they are just fun things to get imo
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Dredg11

I thought you were leaving? I should just be ignoring you. Damn. Here goes:

Dredg seems to think that playing games for achievements is stupid. I responded that to some people, earning achievements is more important than the game itself. Dredg responded that this isn't fun, and that the people who do it aren't having fun. I questioned him twice on his basis for this conclusion, and gave examples of another hobby which functions in a similar manner...to which he replied that he hopes I die.

There. I summed up everything without quotes. ;) What's as disturbing as his ill will towards his fellow man is the fact that Dredg believes this wins him the argument.

Palantas

lol...I guess you're dumber than I thought. Read my posts again, you'll see that I provided you with examples of players on my friends list playing something like Wall-E, and said he was only doing it for the points.

If you can't grasp the concept of an achievement whore, that's too bad. If you don't think being an achievement whore is lame, that's your opinion. But if you look through the thread, or anything that discusses them, you'll see the general concensus is that achievements mean crap, and that achievement whores are lame.

Like I said, you're pretty defensive about achievements. So you must be a closet achievement whore, in addition to being "Biggest Douche in the Universe."

That's right, my friend. You've beaten John Edwards for the title!

and, btw, I have no ill will towards my fellow man when he's not being a complete troll. But people like you aren't worth the air they breathe.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Palantas

Read my posts again, you'll see that I provided you with examples of players on my friends list playing something like Wall-E, and said he was only doing it for the points.

Dredg11

I read that example a couple times. I didn't respond to it, because it doesn't really address anything. Your friend said he was playing Wall-E for points. And...? And what? Did he go on to say that he was hating the experience, and that even after getting the points from the game, he was still unhappy with the whole affair? I never claimed that people don't play games just for achievements. I claimed that if someone is playing a game just for achievements, that there's A.) Nothing wrong with that, and B.) They probably enjoy the whole process by virtue of the fact that they're doing it. Your example completely fails to address either one of these points, which is why I just ignored it.

While we're on the subject of examples, why don't you address the example I gave of a hobby where someone enjoys the end result, and not the process of getting there? What's more, I'll give you another one, a gaming example: A person playing an MMO enjoys having a max level character and raiding with their guild. They did not enjoy much of the grind to get there. Conclusion: Well, if I were you, I'd conclude that these people are lame for not doing something they enjoy every minute of. It would not surprise me at all if you came to that conclusion. You've already insulted everyone in the armed forces and a lot of gamers. Why not add some more of the GameSpot population to your list?

But if you look through the thread, or anything that discusses them, you'll see the general concensus is that achievements mean crap, and that achievement whores are lame.

Dredg11

Your magical intuition into what other people think and feel not withstanding, if you look into this thread, you'll find that the vast majority of posts address whether individual gamers like or dislike achievements. Most like them. Some don't care about them. Some dislike them. A small number of people, like yourself, think that some hobbies are "lame," while others are not, based on absolutely nothing.

(Insults and red herrings)

Dredg11

Of course you think I'm terrible person. I'm arguing with you. You're someone who thinks people are lame who don't have the exact same hobbies as you do. It's no surprise that you want someone to die who disagrees with you in public.

EDIT: Spelling, added content.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Dredg11

I claimed that if someone is playing a game just for achievements, that there's A.) Nothing wrong with thatPalantas

I, and many others, think that's lame. That was my only point. If you disagree, fine. I don't care.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Palantas
Fine. Like I told the last guy: If you post up your opinions on a public forum, expect them to come under criticism if they make no sense, especially if they insult people on that forum. If you don't feel a need to justify your opinion, then leave.
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Dredg11

Fine. Like I told the last guy: If you post up your opinions on a public forum, expect them to come under criticism if they make no sense, especially if they insult people on that forum. If you don't feel a need to justify your opinion, then leave.Palantas

Saying it's lame is my opinion. Justification is completely subjective. Some people will agree that playing a game solely for points is lame, others won't. I'm not the only person who thinks achievement whores are lame. You seem to think I'm alone here.

Somehow, I think if I were to start a poll (and that's my next move), people would agree that achievement whores are lame.

I'm sorry you got butthurt because you're a closet achievement whore.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Palantas

Yes, I understand you have a right to go around forums expressing opinions that make absolutely no sense. Celebrating your right and ability to do this is not exactly commendable. And it's terrific that you can find people who agree with you. If your opinion is a popular one, then I'd think you would have an easier time making some sense of it.

Here's this again, since you just ignored it:

While we're on the subject of examples, why don't you address the example I gave of a hobby where someone enjoys the end result, and not the process of getting there? What's more, I'll give you another one, a gaming example: A person playing an MMO enjoys having a max level character and raiding with their guild. They did not enjoy much of the grind to get there. Conclusion: Well, if I were you, I'd conclude that these people are lame for not doing something they enjoy every minute of. It would not surprise me at all if you came to that conclusion. You've already insulted everyone in the armed forces and a lot of gamers. Why not add some more of the GameSpot population to your list?

I

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I don't really care about them. The only game i have in which i've went for achievements is L4D but i'm only going for one achievement. Killing 53,000 zombies but that's an easy achievement that only takes time. Achievements just aren't for me and i don't really enjoy trying to get them but to each his own.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Palantas
What's more, "It's just my opinion" is a strawman. No one was arguing your right to your opinion. I was arguing whether certain gamers are "lame" for certain reasons. The reasons you've proposed--when they're not outright wrong--can be applied to any number of hobbies.
jb0Ogi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 jb0Ogi3
Member since 2008 • 227 Posts
I personally feel that if it weren't for achievements, I would quit playing video games. Achievements give you something to work for, and without them, it's like your playing a game for no reason. I love achievements! I was about to quit video games, but the achievement factor kept me going.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#91 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I usually only work hard to get achievements on games I play a lot, and ones that I feel are realistic. I may never beat so-and-so a game on super mega ultra hard mode, but if I can accomplish a challenge that I feel I can work towards and reach, then I'll go for it.

dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dukebd699

[QUOTE="Palantas"]Fine. Like I told the last guy: If you post up your opinions on a public forum, expect them to come under criticism if they make no sense, especially if they insult people on that forum. If you don't feel a need to justify your opinion, then leave.Dredg11

Saying it's lame is my opinion. Justification is completely subjective. Some people will agree that playing a game solely for points is lame, others won't. I'm not the only person who thinks achievement whores are lame. You seem to think I'm alone here.

Somehow, I think if I were to start a poll (and that's my next move), people would agree that achievement whores are lame.

I'm sorry you got butthurt because you're a closet achievement whore.

And somehow, it seems that more gamers like achievements than dislike which would make that statement completely wrong. Just because you poll a few people on Gamespot doesn't mean you actually have an idea of what gamers as a whole think. It just depends where you post it. I have a feeling if you went to a site like destructoid which is for "hardcore gamers" you'd get a completely different result from what you do here. If you were to poll the casual gamer who doesn't play much, he would agree with you. It just all depends on who you're asking.

DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
The BIA achievements for obsessive and whatever else they are: You don't HAVE to play the game, just be connected to live, put the disk in and just go to the start screen. Then you can take it out and put whatever game you want to play in.
Darthdaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Darthdaver
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts
achivements is nice.It gives replay value
ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95 ALLoY1717
Member since 2003 • 6753 Posts
Just throwing this out there, you don't have to play Brothers in Arms 100 days straight. Just 100 days and that just requires loading up the main menu. Then the achievment is possible to glitch so it's not like they're asking for alot.dukebd699
I could have sworn it was 100 days straight, but even so to make that into an achievement is still a low blow. The only reason behind it is for the game to stay on peoples recently played lists and thus advertising the game on your gamertag.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#96 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
you can glitch all those 'play for X amount of days' BIA achievements ;) look on www.achieve360points.com but yeh im obsessed with achievements and will try and get 1000/1000 for every game no matter how tedious (im a little behind with all the amazing titles coming out)
Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#97 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I didn't think that it would ever come to this, I loved my achievements. I would chase 1000/1000 on every game I owned even if it looked like I would never get it, I had all the achievement whore sites listed under my favourites and visted them almost everyday. But lately I have just grown tired of it, I think it really struck when I was playing Brothers in Arms, looking through the achievements and coming to the obessed one (Play the game everyday while connected to Live for 100 days straight). No! No I don't want to. I thought.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game and am playing it through again on the harder difficulty but are they kidding with achievements like this? Can you really call this an achievement? All it says to me is that we want free advertising by having our game show up on your recently played list for 100 days. Games are littered with ones like this now particularly the dreaded play X number of multiplayer games. How much skill can it take to connect to a game 1000 times and thus how have you "achieved" anything by this?

I will still be going for the odd point or two and still hope to someday hit 50k, but I'm just no longer chasing them. Microsoft and now Sony need to call foul on some of the things that get classed as achievements by the developer, just something basic like it needs to require at least a small level of skill. Even completing the first level of a game requires you to gain a small amount of understanding of how to play, but things like play the game for 100 days or play 1000 matches of MP don't even require you to play the game at all (if you apply the minimum effort).

ALLoY1717
I hear you man...summed up my exact thoughts that I have been thinking lately.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 dukebd699
[QUOTE="dukebd699"]Just throwing this out there, you don't have to play Brothers in Arms 100 days straight. Just 100 days and that just requires loading up the main menu. Then the achievment is possible to glitch so it's not like they're asking for alot.ALLoY1717
I could have sworn it was 100 days straight, but even so to make that into an achievement is still a low blow. The only reason behind it is for the game to stay on peoples recently played lists and thus advertising the game on your gamertag.

I have it and if you look at the achievement description once you unlock it(not before) it says you play Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway on 100 different days.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#99 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
i never play for achievments. if i get some great but if not i carry on with life. gaming takes a big part of life to without achievements but its waay to time consuming
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
I love achievements points, but you have to draw the line somewhere with certain achievements.