I think I am done with achievements

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ALLoY1717
Member since 2003 • 6753 Posts

I didn't think that it would ever come to this, I loved my achievements. I would chase 1000/1000 on every game I owned even if it looked like I would never get it, I had all the achievement whore sites listed under my favourites and visted them almost everyday. But lately I have just grown tired of it, I think it really struck when I was playing Brothers in Arms, looking through the achievements and coming to the obessed one (Play the game everyday while connected to Live for 100 days straight). No! No I don't want to. I thought.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game and am playing it through again on the harder difficulty but are they kidding with achievements like this? Can you really call this an achievement? All it says to me is that we want free advertising by having our game show up on your recently played list for 100 days. Games are littered with ones like this now particularly the dreaded play X number of multiplayer games. How much skill can it take to connect to a game 1000 times and thus how have you "achieved" anything by this?

I will still be going for the odd point or two and still hope to someday hit 50k, but I'm just no longer chasing them. Microsoft and now Sony need to call foul on some of the things that get classed as achievements by the developer, just something basic like it needs to require at least a small level of skill. Even completing the first level of a game requires you to gain a small amount of understanding of how to play, but things like play the game for 100 days or play 1000 matches of MP don't even require you to play the game at all (if you apply the minimum effort).

Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

I can see where you are coming from, but it is only really a problem for the self proclaimed "achievement whores". For those that aren't obsessed with getting achievements, it's not even a slight issue. Achievements are just small extra's for those that want to try and get them. If they seem like a chore to you, then you shouldn't be trying to get them IMO.

I'd prefer for the true fans of certain games to be the ones that get 1000/1000 rather than the ones that just play games for achievement points. Anyone that has that Avatar game, where you get 1000 achievement points in 2 minute, in their history is 99% for sure an achievement whore IMO.

I have no doubt you are a true gamer and would have gotten 1000/1000 on a ton of games even if you weren't an achievement chaser, but if they seem like work to get them, then maybe you shouldn't bother.  I think achievements like "Obsessed" are meant for people that are really obsessed with their game, not for those obsessed with achievements.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I can see where you are coming from, but it is only really a problem for the self proclaimed "achievement whores". For those that aren't obsessed with getting achievements, it's not even a slight issue. Achievements are just small extra's for those that want to try and get them. If they seem like a chore to you, then you shouldn't be trying to get them IMO.

I'd prefer for the true fans of certain games to be the ones that get 1000/1000 rather than the ones that just play games for achievement points. Anyone that has that Avatar game, where you get 1000 achievement points in 2 minute, in their history is 99% for sure an achievement whore IMO.

I have no doubt you are a true gamer and would have gotten 1000/1000 on a ton of games even if you weren't an achievement chaser, but if they seem like work to get them, then maybe you shouldn't bother.  I think achievements like "Obsessed" are meant for people that are really obsessed with their game, not for those obsessed with achievements.

Hawkeye747
I got the Avatar 1000 points only because my friends nephew had the game as I would never actually pay money to even rent garbage like that. I won't play a game I absolutely can't stand, no matter how easy the achievements may be. I buy & play games I know I will enjoy. I may buy & play a whole bunch of games, but the purpose is always to have fun & achievements are just extras within that process.
Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
Glad to know that im not alone on some achievements going below the belt. companies like Valve needs to realize that not everyone spends 24/7 on their games.
ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ALLoY1717
[QUOTE="Hawkeye747"]

:lol: I actually have the 1000 in Avatar, but like most people I had a friend that rented it and he knew my details, retrieved my account and did it for me.
fracot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 fracot
Member since 2006 • 1278 Posts
I totally agree with you, I think achievments like that are stupid and just doen to advertise...I liek getting achievments and I admit I have done a few of the 'easy' achievment games but i get alot of my points because I rent, its fun to rent a game and get as many g's as possible while enjoying the game...alot of 'achievment whores' like boosting achievments like the gears of war 2 'seriously 2.0' achievment but I would not waste 18 hours of my life repeating teh same part of a game to get that achievment. When i rent a game I usually feel pressured to complete it and I guess this is really because I want the achievment points not because I want to see teh ending, I mean why would you rush a game to see the ending? If I buy a game the push to comeplete it comes from the achievments and i guess just to 'complete it'. If xbox 360 games didn't have achievemtnsI don't think I would be so compelled to complete them. I guess achievments are a bit of an obsession.
Axelnomad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Axelnomad
Member since 2007 • 872 Posts
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter had a achievement like that, when I first saw the "Become rank 1 in the world" I was like enough of this for me...
maccer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 maccer101
Member since 2005 • 4257 Posts
i don't really care for achievements either, just a number
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Glad to know that im not alone on some achievements going below the belt. companies like Valve needs to realize that not everyone spends 24/7 on their games.Arclight_Blue

Are you talking about Orange Box, because even though there's a lot of achievements, they're not hard to get at all.

Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hawkeye747
LMAO I am yet to meet anyone that actually played Avatar themselves and got the achievements. Everyone I've asked had a son, nephew, niece, wife, girlfriend, neighbour, hacker or someone that got it on their account.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#11 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

meh, i started feeling this way 2 months after owning the console since launch...achievements are nice, but if you focus mainly on getting them rather than enjoying the experience, well...then gaming starts to feel stale and boring imo.

im glad my eyes opened early enough or else i would have rushed through so many great games.

voodooline0110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 voodooline0110
Member since 2008 • 452 Posts
Yea most achievements are a challenge for me as i dont have much time to play ie wife, two children, and a full time job. I dont have gold and prob wont get it but those achievenments that require spent time on mp isnt for me. An achievement is sweet when u least expect it. Im somewhat OCD when it comes to achievements because i feel that if i get one that is hard to unlock makes the game experience even better for me. That brother in arms achievement is over the top and i totally agree.
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts

I didn't think that it would ever come to this, I loved my achievements. I would chase 1000/1000 on every game I owned even if it looked like I would never get it, I had all the achievement whore sites listed under my favourites and visted them almost everyday. But lately I have just grown tired of it, I think it really struck when I was playing Brothers in Arms, looking through the achievements and coming to the obessed one (Play the game everyday while connected to Live for 100 days straight). No! No I don't want to. I thought.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game and am playing it through again on the harder difficulty but are they kidding with achievements like this? Can you really call this an achievement? All it says to me is that we want free advertising by having our game show up on your recently played list for 100 days. Games are littered with ones like this now particularly the dreaded play X number of multiplayer games. How much skill can it take to connect to a game 1000 times and thus how have you "achieved" anything by this?

I will still be going for the odd point or two and still hope to someday hit 50k, but I'm just no longer chasing them. Microsoft and now Sony need to call foul on some of the things that get classed as achievements by the developer, just something basic like it needs to require at least a small level of skill. Even completing the first level of a game requires you to gain a small amount of understanding of how to play, but things like play the game for 100 days or play 1000 matches of MP don't even require you to play the game at all (if you apply the minimum effort).

ALLoY1717
I used to be an achievement whore. I'll admit that I have the avatar on my gamercard because I had gamefly then. Anyway now I just play games for fun now. I recently bought Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, and Naruto. I mean seriously 2.0 achievement tracker pops up every 100 kills, but I won't lose sleep over it. My whoring days are over. I'm a recovering whore lol
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
No need for extremes man, what I've always done is to pick the ones I'm getting... I know it's fun to get them all, and I'm really happy when I read through an achievement list and I say: Good! This is a 1000/1000 game. But when some ridiculous achievements appear, I just ignore them. For instance seriously 2.0 It's not hard at all just really time consuming, and even though gears 2 is real fun, I don't plan to play it that long.
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts
I AM an Achievement whore and DAMN proud of it. I enjoy beating the ever loving crap out of games and having no reaosn whatsoever to look at it again. Without them YES games are stale and boring. Closing in on my adult years gaming has become something different to me. I'm not a kid anymore so I needed something else to keep my interest. Besides most games now are simply crap, especially on the Wii. Without an extra incentive to motivate me to play I won't. It's like working at your job going above the job description to attain a new position or raise. I don't do it because I LOVE my job or even enjoy my job. Those are carrotts dangling in front of me to motivate me to work harder to get something more. I have no issues in admitting this.
Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts

I've never really paid much attention to achievements; I usually just play games however I like and get achievements just by doing regular stuff. I can only think of 2 or 3 that I actually sat down and decided to get.

But I agree, anything that forces you to play for X days, especially consecutive, is just BS. I'm starting to hate microsoft more and more; with achievements like this and the NXE's blatant attempt to get MS more money, I'm not sure what they're becoming.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thegame1980

I'm starting to hate microsoft more and more; with achievements like this and the NXE's blatant attempt to get MS more money, I'm not sure what they're becoming.

Motza22

Microsoft does not create the Achievements the devs do. Sony has VERY similar Trophies with the same requirements. Also how is NXE a "blatant" attempt at getting more money? Enlighten me.

Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hawkeye747

Without an extra incentive to motivate me to play I won't. It's like working at your job going above the job description to attain a new position or raise. I don't do it because I LOVE my job or even enjoy my job. Those are carrotts dangling in front of me to motivate me to work harder to get something more. I have no issues in admitting this.thegame1980

LOL I am not saying you're wrong but IMO you shouldn't need any motivation or incentives to play recreational games. If you're at a point where you're comparing games to your work, then I think you have a "different" outlook on life to me. I think games should be something you are keen to play when you have spare time, not something that you need to be motivated for. All games get old eventually, but I've never needed incentives to play them... I play them for fun, and if that's gone, then I dont bother.

Motza22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Motza22
Member since 2008 • 670 Posts
[QUOTE="Motza22"]

I'm starting to hate microsoft more and more; with achievements like this and the NXE's blatant attempt to get MS more money, I'm not sure what they're becoming.

thegame1980

Microsoft does not create the Achievements the devs do. Sony has VERY similar Trophies with the same requirements. Also how is NXE a "blatant" attempt at getting more money? Enlighten me.

First of all, there are several games that are designed and owned by Xbox and Microsoft. And they regulate the achievement regardless of who made them. I'm not saying they tell them what to make an achievement, but they definitely take a look at it.

And please, try to explain to me how the NXE isn't a blatant attempt to make money.

It's now impossible to play XBL without a hard drive. Now the usefullness of hard drives has sky rocketed, but prices haven't budged (and don't expect them to). In a month or so, MS is coming out with a STORE so you can BUY more clothes for your avatar. On top of that, there are tons of new games that you can buy and play with just your avatar. It seems like every "perk" that came with the NXE has about 1000 ways for MS to get money out of it. Don't like the theme? well your old ones don't work, and the new ones are more expensive! So break out your credit card!

Honestly, anyone who doesn't see this as clear as day is a douche. The NXE's sole purpose was to find a way for MS to rake in the cash this season, with hard drives and point cards. I don't think anyone can argue differently

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
[QUOTE="ALLoY1717"][QUOTE="Hawkeye747"]

:lol: I actually have the 1000 in Avatar, but like most people I had a friend that rented it and he knew my details, retrieved my account and did it for me.

I hate people who do this, it is what kills the achievement system.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#21 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts
[QUOTE="thegame1980"][QUOTE="Motza22"]

Motza22

First of all, there are several games that are designed and owned by Xbox and Microsoft. And they regulate the achievement regardless of who made them. I'm not saying they tell them what to make an achievement, but they definitely take a look at it.

And please, try to explain to me how the NXE isn't a blatant attempt to make money.

It's now impossible to play XBL without a hard drive. Now the usefullness of hard drives has sky rocketed, but prices haven't budged (and don't expect them to). In a month or so, MS is coming out with a STORE so you can BUY more clothes for your avatar. On top of that, there are tons of new games that you can buy and play with just your avatar. It seems like every "perk" that came with the NXE has about 1000 ways for MS to get money out of it. Don't like the theme? well your old ones don't work, and the new ones are more expensive! So break out your credit card!

Honestly, anyone who doesn't see this as clear as day is a douche. The NXE's sole purpose was to find a way for MS to rake in the cash this season, with hard drives and point cards. I don't think anyone can argue differently

Well, of course its MS's attempt to cash in....especially with the holidays around the corner. But remember, a lot of things you mentioned aren't requirements...example being the clothing for avatars. I would never spend a dime on any sort of accessory for my character, which i could care less about. My themes work fine...i havent encountered any issues with that area. And the HDD was always a requirement to play online...thats why they started offering Arcade owners a 20gb HDD for $20. As much as i dislike NXE, it's given a 'new skin' to what was looking drab and dated for 360. Plus, i find the OS runs a lot better with the new dash, so i'm all for it. I ain't going to spend an extra $ for NXE...you shouldn't either.

Avatar image for KevComesRipping
KevComesRipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 KevComesRipping
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts

I stopped caring about my score after I hit 10,000 I'll still go for some achievements, but I will not go buy Gears of War because I never got Seriously.. or beat the game on Insane, I borrowed it from a friend, beat it, got my fill of multiplayer and I've moved on, I'll try to get 1000/1000 on Dead Space because I love the game, and I'm sure other games will make me feel that way, but with some of the new achievements they're cooking up... let's just say I'll probably stop at 950 on Gears 2 because it's fun, but dedicating myself to 100,000 kills I think will get a bit daunting.

Wezker619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wezker619
Member since 2006 • 1427 Posts
no, I jusy hate when people play movie games like, Bee movie, Wall E or Open Season.
Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hawkeye747

Honestly, anyone who doesn't see this as clear as day is a ******. The NXE's sole purpose was to find a way for MS to rake in the cash this season, with hard drives and point cards. I don't think anyone can argue differently

Motza22

LMAO, I dont even know where to start with this. You said MS take a look at the achievements? Wow, go figure.

It's impossible to play online without a HDD and prices wont budge? Did you see the FREE 512 memory cards they gave away or the $20 20GB HDD's or maybe you saw the console price drop to $199, $299, $399?

No one is forced to spend a single penny on OPTIONAL clothing for their avatars and using your FREE avatar in a game wont cost you any more money than buying the game anyway.

As for MS trying to rake in cash this holiday season. WTF? Isn't that the WHOLE FREAKIN POINT OF BUSINESS? They should try every possible way they can think of to make money. It's our job to use our brain before we spend it.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thegame1980

Motza22

Ok let me break it down for you since you seem to be seeing things in what i like to call "tunnel vision"

REGARDLESS if the game is created by Microsoft Studios or not again... IT IS THE DEVS WHO CREATE THE ACHIEVEMENTS! Microsoft Studios simply FUNDS the development. LIONHEAD (creators of Fable) do not have Microsoft reps creating the games and coming up with outlandish Achievements to obtain Microsoft only give their devs VAST amounts of money to create exclusive games for their console. Does Microsoft over see the Achievements of course they do but they do not tell them to create these time consuming Achievements. DEVS COME UP WITH THEM. WHY? Because sometimes Achievements are just too damn easy to abuse (Avatar TLAB) and mean nothing, also of course DEVS want you to play their games more they worked hard on it so GOOD games give you a WIDE variety of Acheivements. Easy ones you get by simply playing (Beat stage 1,2,3 so on and so on). Middle road Achievements. (Get 30 melee kills) for those who wish to change up the pace. Online ones for those who enjoy online gaming with friends, clans or for competition, then the time consumers for the hardcore players. Until you know the facts don't just throw out stupid rants.

For one fleeting moment you are correct NXE needs a harddrive BUT where you fail is this. Microsoft has already stated those who need more room can apply for a FREE memory card with sufficent room to download the NXE FOR FREE OR upgrade to a 20 gig harddrive for 20 bucks! 20 bucks that's good. So I can CLEARLY see the prices HAVE budged you just don't see the whole picture. Now onto your Avatar Store. Yes Microsoft will create some sort of Avatar store but again if you read or listended to ANYTHING that was said SOME items will cost points others will not, some will come included with newer games and some will become unlocked by getting certain Achievements. Also let's not forget you simply DO NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE SAID ITEMS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO! Was that clear enough to you? Let's take a look at something else as well. Sony is launching HOME sometime in the near 4 years right? Well they TOO have an Avatar based system that you can dress and change the look of. You HONESTLY think they won't charge for extra clothes or items? In fact they are! They stated so already but just like Microsoft some will be free some won't it's up to YOU and how bad you want these items if you pay or not. ALSO HOME will feature virtual homes where furniture and other doo-dads will be available to decorate your home with. Again costing money. It's not just Microsoft doing this. Where there's room to make money....why not? In the end it's up to you if you want to pay for these things. Me? I'm happy with my Avatar cause he looks like me without the need for extra items. FINALLY you're even more ridicouls rant on Avatar based games. Right now there are only 4 games that support avatars all of which CAN BE PLAYED WITHOUT THEM! Uno, Kingdom for Kefflings, Scene It Box Office Smash and one other I can't remember but NONE cost extra to do so. In fact i own UNO and Scene It and have played Scene It before and after the NXE and only paid the orginally asking price of $39.99 there's no extra charge for this not to mention if you don't use your Avatars all the games give you the option of using in game characters like Kingdom of Kefflings and Scene It, also again if they do ever release Avatar only games it will be up to you if you care to purchase them same as ANY OTHER Marketplace release. Same situation with themes up to you to pay for them I have the FREE standard 2.0 theme and it works flawlessly. Older themes do work but some are better then others and actually some games even upgraded their older themes like Fable II and Gears for free.

So call me names all you want but here is PROOF of someone who only saw things from one persepctive and knew only a fraction of the situation and used it to create a horrible rant with misinformed knowledge. Now who's the douche?

DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

I got the Avatar 1000 points only because my friends nephew had the game as I would never actually pay money to even rent garbage like that. I won't play a game I absolutely can't stand, no matter how easy the achievements may be. I buy & play games I know I will enjoy. I may buy & play a whole bunch of games, but the purpose is always to have fun & achievements are just extras within that process.shawn7324

I love stuff like this. You say, "I won't play a game I absolutely can't stand, no matter how easy the achievements may be." Explain to me again how you managed to get 1000 points in game you said you won't even rent because it's such garbage, when you supposedly won't even play a game you can't stand?

I gave up on achievements along time ago. They used to be fun to me. Although i was never an "achievement whore" that played games just for points. You can check my profile, no Avatar on mine. But the achievements themselves seem to have lost the enjoyment they used to give me. Some achievements, like beating CoD4 on Veteran, or Gears 2 on Insane, are still fun to me. Because i like those games and i want to beat it on those difficulties anyway. But it seems more and more achievements are about "Heal a fellow Survivor when your own health is below 10.", or "Kill 10 enemies with a grenade while down but not out". Achievements like this are the kinds that you just stumble across during normal gameplay. But if you don't earn them while just playing normally, they aren't any fun to try and attempt to earn. For me, achievements just aren't fun anymore.

Acronomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Acronomic
Member since 2003 • 439 Posts
I never understood achievements. They're fun to get while playing normally and stumbling upon randomly, but what's really the point? Why get achievements? It's like playing a MMORPG for 10 more hours just to level up, there's no point.
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DZBricktop
And to all you guys claiming to know eveything and say you can get a free memory card or $20 harddrive. That only applies to people that bought the original core system that had no memory of any kind. That does NOT apply to everyone, even Arcade buyers. Although Arcade owners CAN get a refurbished 20 gig and a 3 month subscription for $29.99. LINK
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thegame1980

And to all you guys claiming to know eveything and say you can get a free memory card or $20 harddrive. That only applies to people that bought the original core system that had no memory of any kind. That does NOT apply to everyone, even Arcade buyers. Although Arcade owners CAN get a refurbished 20 gig and a 3 month subscription for $29.99. LINKDZBricktop

Arcade buyers have a memory card they can use and even at 30 bucks it's still better then 120 right?

Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts
I think I felt like this about 10,000 - 15,000 points ago. The achievements are fun to get and nice to look at (in your profile) but when grinding to get achievements takes up your fun and your time, it's just not worth it. Now when I buy games, I normally complete it as per usual and then afterwards I'll check out the achievements for a bit of longevity. But as long as they're fun doing. Check my profile and you'll see that Madden 08 is the only achievement game I have and you'll see I didn't bother with that past 2 or 3 hundred points. But the first few games I got you'll see I grinded like an idiot on games like Gears 1, GRAW 2 and Oblivion.
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thegame1980

I never understood achievements. They're fun to get while playing normally and stumbling upon randomly, but what's really the point? Why get achievements? It's like playing a MMORPG for 10 more hours just to level up, there's no point.Acronomic

To YOU there is no point to these things. YOU are not everyone.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ALLoY1717

[QUOTE="DZBricktop"]And to all you guys claiming to know eveything and say you can get a free memory card or $20 harddrive. That only applies to people that bought the original core system that had no memory of any kind. That does NOT apply to everyone, even Arcade buyers. Although Arcade owners CAN get a refurbished 20 gig and a 3 month subscription for $29.99. LINKthegame1980

Arcade buyers have a memory card they can use and even at 30 bucks it's still better then 120 right?

I have to put on my PC gamer hat for this. Hard drives are cheap, you will see in my sig I have 2 500GB HDD's in my PC which cost me less that buying 1 360 120GB drive. Bottom line is Microsoft do rip you off over the HDD, if you wanted/needed an HDD you should have picked up a better bundle. The being said they must be reason behind the pricing model, something like for only X bucks more I can get the elite.......

Oh and thegame1980 needs to clam down, i don't want my thread locked thanks. Can we just stay on the discussion of achievements. I understand your view on achievements I would have said the same thing a few months ago. But as someone already said the game should be your motivation not the grinding of achievements. For instance right now I am playing Gears 2 with a friend, I just got it today (would have had it eariler but it took forever to come in the post) I have a 1000/1000 in Gears 1 and will probably get 1000/1000 in Gears 2 but that is only beause I love Gears so much, it is no longer about I MUST HAVE 1000 MORE POINTS!

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thegame1980
[QUOTE="thegame1980"]

[QUOTE="DZBricktop"]And to all you guys claiming to know eveything and say you can get a free memory card or $20 harddrive. That only applies to people that bought the original core system that had no memory of any kind. That does NOT apply to everyone, even Arcade buyers. Although Arcade owners CAN get a refurbished 20 gig and a 3 month subscription for $29.99. LINKALLoY1717

I have to put on my PC gamer hat for this. Hard drives are cheap, you will see in my sig I have 2 500GB HDD's in my PC which cost me less that buying 1 360 120GB drive. Bottom line is Microsoft do rip you off over the HDD, if you wanted/needed an HDD you should have picked up a better bundle. The being said they must be reason behind the pricing model, something like for only X bucks more I can get the elite.......

Of course PC harddrives are cheaper but Microsoft has a lock down with their forms of memory. My statement of cheap is that they charge $99 for the 20gig in stores like Best Buy and so on but Microsoft now offers an upgrade plan for $30 WITH three month Gold LIVE subscription (retail $20)

Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hawkeye747

I have to put on my PC gamer hat for this. Hard drives are cheap, you will see in my sig I have 2 500GB HDD's in my PC which cost me less that buying 1 360 120GB drive. Bottom line is Microsoft do rip you off over the HDD, if you wanted/needed an HDD you should have picked up a better bundle. The being said they must be reason behind the pricing model, something like for only X bucks more I can get the elite.......ALLoY1717

No, no, no. Dont even give ANY sort of foundation for a PC vs 360 drivelfest! Save that for Console Wars.

I think everyone would agree the HDD's are expensive but I think the method behind the madness is to make sure there are only "Official" 360 HDD's and to MINIMISE (someone will always find a way) hacking/cheaters.

damaster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 damaster101
Member since 2005 • 1476 Posts
Well i've played 8 games on my xbox 360 and i've only got 2230 points i mean heck on dead or alive i've earned only one achievement half of them are secret as well.Put it this way i look at the achievements to see what there is but if i have to go out of my way and do something boring screw that.I think Oblivions achievements were the best it was just completing the main quests and getting all the guild ranks simple as, instead of something like close 50 oblivion gates and plunge all the dungeons in the game to earn 30 points.
Zach68486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Zach68486
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
I've never seen it as a problem. I mean, I just play the game and if I get an achievement, I glance at it and say 'cool' and just keep playing. It's a nice little thing, like a medal for all your hard work, but it's not detrimental to my videogaming.
czort666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 czort666
Member since 2008 • 1767 Posts

[QUOTE="Arclight_Blue"]Glad to know that im not alone on some achievements going below the belt. companies like Valve needs to realize that not everyone spends 24/7 on their games.Legendaryscmt

Are you talking about Orange Box, because even though there's a lot of achievements, they're not hard to get at all.

The Orange Box had one of the best achievements I've ever seen,they weren't too difficult and not very time absorbing.

ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ALLoY1717
[QUOTE="czort666"][QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

Glad to know that im not alone on some achievements going below the belt. companies like Valve needs to realize that not everyone spends 24/7 on their games.Arclight_Blue

The Orange Box had one of the best achievements I've ever seen,they weren't too difficult and not very time absorbing.

Most annoying ones ever are FEAR I think. But still require skill "complete the game without dying", even on easy this needs skill. The MP FEAR achievements are the same old thing thoughl play X matches make Y kills. Boring, uncreative.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

In regards to the general topic of discussion: Achievements allow you an extra way to enjoy your games. If you like achievements, then play for them. If you don't, then ignore them. People who go about calling people "achievement whores" are really just criticizing the way others enjoy their hobbies, which is very arrogant.

However, for those of us who are into Gamerscore, I agree that some achievements are pretty asinine. Achievements should be something you achieve, that is, recognize that a player has accomplished an in-game feat. "Play for 100 hours" is the exact opposite of this. Achievements that involve finding an absurd number of useless, hidden objects over the course of the game fall into this category as well.

Speaking of good/bad achievements:

Glad to know that im not alone on some achievements going below the belt. companies like Valve needs to realize that not everyone spends 24/7 on their games.

Arclight_Blue

What games/achievements are you talking about specifically? In my opinion, Valve games have reasonable and interesting achievements. The hardest ones on The Orange Box are the science achievements for Portal. Those are good achievements: They're hard to get because they require a lot of skill, not because they require a lot of time.

On the other hand:

Various people

I won't play a bad game (or a game in a genre I don't play) just for points. I'll try a game that has easy points, and if it's not bad, I'll keep playing. I will never play Avatar.

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts

ALLoY1717
What's up Alloy; surprised to run into you on the GameSpot forums. :) Anyway, well put; I can understand where you're coming from. I find myself feeling this way more times than not. I used to go after achievements like crazy, especially when I had a lot of free time on my hands, but in recent times, not so much. It's nice there are some games that do them right, but more often than not, devs usually just screw them up. Oh well, a game is a game, I suppose.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Palantas

Motza22

If Microsoft played a major role in determining the achievements in games, I would imagine that achievements in games would be rather uniform. They are not. Whatever Microsoft's role is in achievements, the available evidence would suggest that it is minimal.

Motza22

The NXE is an attempt to bring greater content to users. If they like the content, then they can purchase it.

Motza22

Let me get this straight: You're complaining that there are "about 1,000 ways" for you to spend money with the NXE? You're complaining about options. If you don't like the options presented, then don't spend money on them. This is like some person from the Soviet Union coming to America in 1980 and being upset that we have 20 different choices of toothpaste. Options are not bad!

In regards to the harddrive business, games in this day and age need a harddrive. The fact that the NXE better enables me to use the harddrive in my Elite just makes me happy.

The NXE's sole purpose was to find a way for MS to rake in the cash this season, with hard drives and point cards. I don't think anyone can argue differently

Motza22

Every now and again, I run into someone on the forums who is shocked to find that instead of worrying when a sparrow falls, numbering the hairs on your head, and being generally loving and benevolent, Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/et all are actually businesses.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dredg11
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts

Whatever...Gamerscore means NOTHING. Well, it might just be an indicator of how much free time you have on your hands.

I don't understand the boost a high gamerscore gives people. Or why some people need achievements to actually play a game. What did you people do before the Xbox 360?

I'll admit, I like getting an achievement unlocked in the game I'm playing. But I never GET a game for the PURPOSE of getting it's achievements. Meanwhile, you have some people actually wasting their time playing through Kung Fu Panda or Wall-E just to get an easy 1000 points, and +1000 to their gamerscore. For what? Is there a prize? Is there significant bragging rights? No...

Especially when you take into consideration that most of the people atop the leaderboards, or the people with the highest Gamerscores, are doing so by cheating. I.E. Gamertag recovery, glitching...etc

All I know is, telling someone "I have 100 000 Gamerscore on Xbox Live!" doesn't make me feel any better about myself. If anything, it would only make me feel more pathetic.

I mean, if I got $1000 or even $10 for every 1000 points I put up, sure! But to brag about how "leet" I am...no thanks.

Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
achievements is the energy to keep you goin man.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Palantas

I mean, if I got $1000 or even $10 for every 1000 points I put up, sure! But to brag about how "leet" I am...no thanks.

Dredg11

As opposed to all the cash you rake in with your conventional gaming? Your post is predicated on the notion that the only reason anyone might play for achievements is to be an arrogant braggart about them. Maybe people who like achievements just play because they like achievements.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dredg11

achievements is the energy to keep you goin man.Leo-Magic

lol...I HAD put a response here, but for some reason when I hit submit, it only put the quote.

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dredg11

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

Palantas

As opposed to all the cash you rake in with your conventional gaming? Your post is predicated on the notion that the only reason anyone might play for achievements is to be an arrogant braggart about them. Maybe people who like achievements just play because they like achievements.

My point was exactly that...The points earn you as much as "conventional gaming". Nothing. And there's something to be said about "playing for achievements". Not saying it's a bad thing, per se. But it's pretty lame when people will play games they normally wouldn't play, just to add 1000 points to their Gamerscore.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Palantas

But it's pretty lame when people will play games they normally wouldn't play, just to add 1000 points to their Gamerscore.

Dredg11

Why? The purpose of gaming is to have fun. If people have fun increasing their Gamerscore, then they're accomplishing what any hobby is supposed to accomplish. You criticize gamers who play for points for being arrogant, then go on a public forum calling a certain form of gaming "lame."

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dredg11

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

But it's pretty lame when people will play games they normally wouldn't play, just to add 1000 points to their Gamerscore.

Palantas

Why? The purpose of gaming is to have fun. If people have fun increasing their Gamerscore, then they're accomplishing what any hobby is supposed to accomplish. You criticize gamers who play for points for being arrogant, then go on a public forum calling a certain form of gaming "lame."

This certain "form of gaming" you're refering to, is being an achievement whore. That IS lame. If expressing that opinion makes me arrogant in your insignificant books, I can live with that.

You're lame. Go away.

DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DZBricktop
[QUOTE="Palantas"]

[QUOTE="Dredg11"]

Dredg11

This certain "form of gaming" you're refering to, is being an achievement whore. That IS lame. If expressing that opinion makes me arrogant in your insignificant books, I can live with that.

You're lame. Go away.

You're missing Palantas point. Just because it's no fun to YOU, and YOU think it's lame, doesn't mean other people don't enjoy it. Who are you to say what's fun for me? To call someone lame because their opinion is different than yours, just makes me value your opinion less because you won't listen to mine. I don't enjoy it. But i can accept that other people do.