How much SHOULD xbox 360 games cost?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
Here's an article OXM had about the cost of games: Where Does Your $60 Go? Games are cheaper than they should be since their price hasn't changed with inflation. A game that cost $50 in 1985 (the year Super Mario Bros. was released) should cost about $100 today. Plus consider the fact that development costs have skyrocketed and we could consider ourselves lucky we're not paying in the triple digits.
TMorss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 TMorss
Member since 2003 • 189 Posts
My issue isnt so much the $60 price tag on a good game. My problem is the $60 price tag they put on games that are garbage. Some of the games are worth it. But there are way to many short, glitchy, unpolished games with premium price tag on them.
Cii-Lence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Cii-Lence
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts
They should sell it on $30 or less so we could buy more games.
cheames748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 cheames748
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts

i dunno why you yanks are complaining, in the UK, the RRP is equivalent to $100, and newly released games are always like $80/$90.

don't you people realise that the companies making these games need to make a living?

RichyRulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 RichyRulez
Member since 2005 • 212 Posts

i dunno why you yanks are complaining, in the UK, the RRP is equivalent to $100, and newly released games are always like $80/$90.

don't you people realise that the companies making these games need to make a living?

cheames748

YAAAAAAAY!!!! Someone understands that games are not made by robots, but by people!

robobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 robobie
Member since 2007 • 2172 Posts
[QUOTE="cheames748"]

RichyRulez

YAAAAAAAY!!!! Someone understands that games are not made by robots, but by people!

Same with Ireland. We get them for around the same price as britian. But if games were cheaper they would sell more and probably make more money aaayyy??
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11985 Posts
Games, with in-game advertising should be about $30. W/O adverts, $50 is the most it should be.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Games, with in-game advertising should be about $30. W/O adverts, $50 is the most it should be.gatsbythepig
now thats a good point you made there
monkeysrule16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 monkeysrule16
Member since 2008 • 1209 Posts
I believe 50 bucks it is simple. it is not too high and not too low.
monkeysrule16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 monkeysrule16
monkeysrule16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 monkeysrule16
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
I believe 50 bucks it is simple. it is not too high and not too low.monkeysrule16
:shock: you made GS crash for a second there
Captain-Ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Captain-Ichigo
Member since 2007 • 545 Posts
na 60 is fine
Avatar image for patsfan4liferjn
patsfan4liferjn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 patsfan4liferjn
Member since 2007 • 1253 Posts

$60 is fine.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#66 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Should stay at 50.

Ive been paying 50$ for a long time, it seemed pretty fair for the customer and the business.

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

I don't think people really appreciate how much money gets pumped into making games these days. It's like producing a Hollywood movie in some cases. $60 per game is appropriate in my opinion.

Of course, the answer in the US (and indeed all other Westernised countries) to the question "How much should a game cost?" is "However much people are willing to pay."

That's what we call living in a free market economy folks - if people stopped paying $60 a game, publishers would drop the price overnight. But look, they haven't dropped the price for new games in the 2+ years of this console generation, so obviously people are willing to pay $60 for a new game. They might be happier paying less (let's face it, only an idiot wouldn't) but they're still willing to go up to $60. Until a serious backlash against new game prices happens - and I don't think it will unless there is a serious recession and parents have to say no, and/or adult gamers really need the money for food and gas - games will cost $60 new.

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
Yeah games could stand to be a little cheaper. I mean they already made their money back 10 times over when it was 50 bucks a game so what do you think they're making with 10 dollars more a game.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 julianwelton

I don't think people really appreciate how much money gets pumped into making games these days. It's like producing a Hollywood movie in some cases. $60 per game is appropriate in my opinion.

Of course, the answer in the US (and indeed all other Westernised countries) to the question "How much should a game cost?" is "However much people are willing to pay."

That's what we call living in a free market economy folks - if people stopped paying $60 a game, publishers would drop the price overnight. But look, they haven't dropped the price for new games in the 2+ years of this console generation, so obviously people are willing to pay $60 for a new game. They might be happier paying less (let's face it, only an idiot wouldn't) but they're still willing to go up to $60. Until a serious backlash against new game prices happens - and I don't think it will unless there is a serious recession and parents have to say no, and/or adult gamers really need the money for food and gas - games will cost $60 new.

grayoldwolf

Uh.. wow think about it this way Gears of War cost 10 million dollars to make ( no where near what a movie costs to make! which wouldn't even pay some actors salaries let alone the whole movie) anyway back to the point Gears cost 10 million to make now think about 60 dollars a game 4 million times.... yeah thats a lot. I think you should re-think your argument although your spot on about whatever the masses are willing to pay is what things will cost.

Also I heard, but cant confirm that Too Human is going to be the most expensive game ever made which is going upwards of 80 million (again no where near a motion picture price tag) so if thats the most expensive game made to date think about games that sell really well that are made for much less they must make a lot of money even if they don't sell relatively well.

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
[QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]

julianwelton

Uh.. wow think about it this way Gears of War cost 10 million dollars to make ( no where near what a movie costs to make! which wouldn't even pay some actors salaries let alone the whole movie) anyway back to the point Gears cost 10 million to make now think about 60 dollars a game 4 million times.... yeah thats a lot. I think you should re-think your argument although your spot on about whatever the masses are willing to pay is what things will cost.

Also I heard, but cant confirm that Too Human is going to be the most expensive game ever made which is going upwards of 80 million (again no where near a motion picture price tag) so if thats the most expensive game made to date think about games that sell really well that are made for much less they must make a lot of money even if they don't sell relatively well.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of smaller Hollywood movies (rather than the likes of Spider-Man or X-men) but I didn't really make that clear.

I agree with you that Gears was a smash hit and they made buckets of money out of it, but very few games sell like Gears. Most games are lucky to sell a million copies. Also, the ten million dollar price tag for Gears was what it cost Epic to make it. That doesn't include advertising, manufacturing, Microsoft's cut or any of the other logistical stuff it takes to get a piece of software into the hands of the public. That adds up to a heck of a lot of money.

At the end of the day, it's business - they set the price of the game high enough that they make a profit, but not so high that their competitors can undercut them by any significant margin. They're definitely not making $50 profit on each copy of every game that is sold. I'd be willing to bet that most games don't make a significant profit until they've sold over half a million copies, and the truth is that the majority of games don't get that far. That's why so many small developers have gone out of business or have been bought by the likes of EA - it simply costs so much to make a game these days that if they don't have a big hit they will make a huge loss and go bankrupt.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
£30, like PC games. But..I have no idea what's that in dollars.
soccerdude256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 soccerdude256
Member since 2004 • 211 Posts
[QUOTE="julianwelton"][QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]

grayoldwolf

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of smaller Hollywood movies (rather than the likes of Spider-Man or X-men) but I didn't really make that clear.

I agree with you that Gears was a smash hit and they made buckets of money out of it, but very few games sell like Gears. Most games are lucky to sell a million copies. Also, the ten million dollar price tag for Gears was what it cost Epic to make it. That doesn't include advertising, manufacturing, Microsoft's cut or any of the other logistical stuff it takes to get a piece of software into the hands of the public. That adds up to a heck of a lot of money.

At the end of the day, it's business - they set the price of the game high enough that they make a profit, but not so high that their competitors can undercut them by any significant margin. They're definitely not making $50 profit on each copy of every game that is sold. I'd be willing to bet that most games don't make a significant profit until they've sold over half a million copies, and the truth is that the majority of games don't get that far. That's why so many small developers have gone out of business or have been bought by the likes of EA - it simply costs so much to make a game these days that if they don't have a big hit they will make a huge loss and go bankrupt.

I hear the sound of Julian's arguement crashing :lol:

msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#73 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts
I think $60 is fair considering how much money goes into making a game these days, but I definitely wouldn't mind if the price dropped back down to $50.
-Nero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 -Nero
Member since 2007 • 259 Posts
50$
YourLastDay86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 YourLastDay86
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
$50 is reasonable. I know it is only a $10 difference, but as a full-time student 10 bucks can go a long way...
WMDfreeman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 WMDfreeman99
Member since 2007 • 1874 Posts
development and productions costs have gone up. so of course this would raise the price of game..
DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

$60 is alright - $50 would be better, but $60 is fine. I would hate to have them be less expensive and have the developers get the shaft on profits which would result in bad games.

Plus you can get a $60 game for $45 used and a $50 game for $35 - so if you have to save your duckets that bad - just buy the game used.

:)

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 julianwelton
[QUOTE="grayoldwolf"][QUOTE="julianwelton"][QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]

soccerdude256

Well the main things that you pointed out that would be expensive was Distribution, and greedy Microsofts cut. Let me start off by saying lots and I mean LOTS of games sell over a million I mean even dare I say 50 cents Bulletproof sold over a million copies and that was probably one of the worst games in two decades. Now back to Microsofts cut I don't know what they were paid, but I do know that doesn't change what kind of turn over it got not to mention I can tell you Microsoft would only make money if the game made money because their cut was most likely a fixed percentage of the profits i.e. 20% of whatever it made. So anyway I'm sure somewhere in that over 200 million dollar turnover that they made they found some way to pay for advertising and Microsofts cut just fine and probably had 100 million dollars to spare.

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 julianwelton
[QUOTE="grayoldwolf"][QUOTE="julianwelton"][QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]

soccerdude256

Well the main things that you pointed out that would be expensive were Distribution, and greedy Microsofts cut. Let me start off by saying lots and I mean LOTS of games sell over a million I mean even 50 cents Bulletproof sold over a million copies and that was probably one of the worst games in two decades. Now back to Microsofts cut I don't know what they were paid, but I do know that doesn't change what kind of turn over it got not to mention I can tell you Microsoft would only make money if the game made money because their cut was most likely a fixed percentage of the profits i.e. 20% of whatever it made. So anyway I'm too tired to argue so I'll just make this short I'm sure somewhere in that over 200 million dollar turnover that they made they found some way to pay for advertising and Microsofts cut just fine and probably had over 100 million dollars to spare.

P.S. The point of all this is games could stand to be a bit cheaper, but they aren't so I guess anyone looking for a deal can go to Gamestop and buy their games used.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts
[QUOTE="soccerdude256"][QUOTE="grayoldwolf"][QUOTE="julianwelton"][QUOTE="grayoldwolf"]

julianwelton

Well the main things that you pointed out that would be expensive was Distribution, and greedy Microsofts cut. Let me start off by saying lots and I mean LOTS of games sell over a million I mean even dare I say 50 cents Bulletproof sold over a million copies and that was probably one of the worst games in two decades. Now back to Microsofts cut I don't know what they were paid, but I do know that doesn't change what kind of turn over it got not to mention I can tell you Microsoft would only make money if the game made money because their cut was most likely a fixed percentage of the profits i.e. 20% of whatever it made. So anyway I'm sure somewhere in that over 200 million dollar turnover that they made they found some way to pay for advertising and Microsofts cut just fine and probably had 100 million dollars to spare.

Okay, so we've got twenty percent going to Microsoft, a fair ammount of money going to manufacturing and advertising, and then transportation, and it's not $60 going to the devs and publishers, it's $60 going to the retailers.

DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#81 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts
I've never pay full price anymore...
rocketman001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 rocketman001
Member since 2007 • 874 Posts
50 dollars would be nice
ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts

i dunno why the decided to make the games 60. i realize they need to make money back that is being lost on the system. i realize that when you break down where the money goes it really isn't that much. i guess the only annoyance i have is that gamestop makes money hand over fist by selling used games at basically the same price as new.

thats off topic though. i think by making these games more expensive people are less likely to buy these games in the first place. what i mean is that a lot of people just buy games that they trust to be good and no longer takes as many chances on games.

machiavell8x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 machiavell8x8
Member since 2008 • 1399 Posts
people say that the high price is to ensure good games, thats not really the case. out of the 50+ games out so far theirs only about 6-8 that look worth playing, and so far out of the 2 i have played one turned out to be a complete DuD! It was one of the main games i bought a 360 for, and it was a failure.