• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Palle_10R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Palle_10R
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
i think its a waste of money, its just not worth it getting it...
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts

[QUOTE="daviwinn"]I'd say save your money. Digital Media is the future. With storage space getting cheaper and internet speeds getting faster neither HD-DVD nor BluRay will still be going strong in 5 years. Now that it has been proven that Movies can be delivered electronically and still protect the Media Rights so copies aren't easily made (Amazon.com's Unbox, Xbox LIVE's MArketplace, etc) it is only a matter of time before all content is available in this way. It's cheaper for everyone involved and more convenient for consumers.Generic_Dude

I think we're still a ways off from that, but the digital distribution of movies and television shows has pretty much been the goal of this industry for quite a long time. You're right that the DRM issues have mostly been sorted out, and that storage is hardly an issue anymore, but broadband access doesn't have the sort of market penetration that could allow it to have exclusivity for a format. Not to mention that most broadband is cable or DSL in the States... fiber is being laid all over this country, but not enough households are making the most of it and DLing a 1080p movie is a pain in the ahem via cable and DSL. And you can't compare a 720p movie with a 1080p movie. That's one of the reasons you buy a BluRay or HDDVD player.

Then there's the issue of Ultra HD. They're already working on players and formats and such that support higher resolutions than 1080p. Don't remember exactly what it was, but it more than doubled it if I remember correctly. Download THAT.

I'd wait until a format is chosen as the clear victor, really. But as far as waiting for complete digital distribution, or Ultra HD or holograms or whatever? That's like saying don't buy a car because they'll be coming out with a flying car before you know it.

UltraHD I've seen people post it as being 1440p. But honestly, I don't think anyone would need higher than 1080p for a long time unless everyone has a 100inch screen in their home. It's near double that of 1080p. Like 2.07 million pixels vs 3.68 million pixels.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts
i'm waiting to see which next gen movie format is going to win. i'd rather just buy one player than risking it and end up buying two. if i had the money i'd do that, but i have to start being smarter with how i spend my money :cry:
joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

I bought the player late last year and I love it. I plan on getting a PS3 later this year (mostly for the blu ray player). Lots of great movies are coming out for both formats. I do think in the short term that blu ray has the better chance of "winning". The fight is no where near being over though and HD dvd still has some fight in it. When I bought 360 add on I figured if I used it for 2 years then I would get my moneys worth. I'm very satisfied with the player and would recommend it to anyone.

Check out a list of available movies for both formats and see if one is really lacking in movies that you want and then make your decision.