• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

0pius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 0pius
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts
So, I have an Elite. And the HDMI upscales my DVDs. Is it necessary to get an HD DVD player? Or should I just stick to my regular DVDs?
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.
firestorm9305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 firestorm9305
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
I just got one yesterday. Yes get it. It doesn't matter if Blu-Ray win's because if everyone stop's supporting hd, your movies will always look good. Get one if there are HD DVDs that interest you, if not then don't get it. It's that simple.
ChickenHawk07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ChickenHawk07
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts
I've had it since it was released and I love it, though I'm a little disheartened to see that HD is headed down a deadend, at least from the look of things and the way the news is portraying it. Hell, even Blockbuster isn't going to stock anymore HD-DVDs. Bleh, I guess it doesn't really matter, the HD-DVDs I have now will always work on my player and me being the person I am will definitely buy the Blu-Ray player Microsoft is sure to release one day.
AgileNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AgileNate
Member since 2003 • 2999 Posts
There both still un-wanted(or un known) to the average consumer so both are still up for grabs. When stores like wal-mart get them thats when things will be decided and which ever one grabs the average consumer's attention will get all the companies moving to it. Right now Blu-Ray is grabbing more but thats because of the PS3 but the most important factor is the stand alone players.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.jimm895

What kind of mis-information is that? Netflix supports hd-dvd. Most all studios are supporting hd-dvd and blu ray except for a few Sony owned studios or Disney. HD-dvd has Universal as exclusive studio, Blu Ray has Disiney and Lions Gate as exclusives. The rest are multi-platform. Look at the upcoming releases...all the big titles, like 300, are coming to both formats. What you cant get on hd-dvd you can most likely get on Xbox Live Marketplace in Hi-Def.

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
I'd say save your money. Digital Media is the future. With storage space getting cheaper and internet speeds getting faster neither HD-DVD nor BluRay will still be going strong in 5 years. Now that it has been proven that Movies can be delivered electronically and still protect the Media Rights so copies aren't easily made (Amazon.com's Unbox, Xbox LIVE's MArketplace, etc) it is only a matter of time before all content is available in this way. It's cheaper for everyone involved and more convenient for consumers.
matt3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 matt3456
Member since 2002 • 326 Posts
You're joking right? I want some of what you're smoking if you think that digital delivery of movies is going to be taking over any time soon. Most of the country either can't afford high speed internet or doesn't have access to it. Who wants to buy more hard drive space when theywant to buy more movies? Maybe it's just me but I still like to own the box and disc. Also let's say I want to go to a friends house and watch one of my movies. Do I have to bring my xbox or apple tv over? It's much easier to just bring the disc over and watch it. MAYBE in 10 years digital downloads will begin to take over but not in 5.
DonMega187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 DonMega187
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts

seriously man the HDDVD player for the 360 is a rip off

If you really want it though wait till the price drops.

There is a minor difference b/w the hdmi input and the hddvd

another thing there ARE NO GOOD MOVIES ON HDDVD

matt3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 matt3456
Minor difference? Maybe you should get your eyes checked. No good movies on hd-dvd huh. How about the Matrix Trilogy, King Kong, Superman Returns? Do I really need to keep going? Didn't think so.
OneLessFinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OneLessFinger
Member since 2006 • 1121 Posts
300 comes out soonand that was imo one of the best movies this year....
matt3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 matt3456

300 comes out soonand that was imo one of the best movies this year....OneLessFinger

With hd-dvd exclusive features too.

ChickenHawk07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChickenHawk07
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

300 comes out soonand that was imo one of the best movies this year....OneLessFinger

by far the best movie out this year! And Can't WAIT for HD-DVD on that one!

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

I'd say save your money. Digital Media is the future. With storage space getting cheaper and internet speeds getting faster neither HD-DVD nor BluRay will still be going strong in 5 years. Now that it has been proven that Movies can be delivered electronically and still protect the Media Rights so copies aren't easily made (Amazon.com's Unbox, Xbox LIVE's MArketplace, etc) it is only a matter of time before all content is available in this way. It's cheaper for everyone involved and more convenient for consumers.daviwinn

Oh no 5 years!!?!?! Quick save your money.

You know when HD DVD and Blu Ray will be dead? When my internet connection can download 25GB+ to my hard drive instantly, and let me keep them, and have special features.

Some people are collectors, some want the box and the ability to watch a movie at any given time. Online downloading is nice, but it will never beat owning a physical medium.

Like you said maybe in 5 years it will be the norm, but to advise someone to wait that much time?

Dude get a player and enjoy the movies now.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts

[QUOTE="jimm895"]A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.Videodogg

What kind of mis-information is that? Netflix supports hd-dvd. Most all studios are supporting hd-dvd and blu ray except for a few Sony owned studios or Disney. HD-dvd has Universal as exclusive studio, Blu Ray has Disiney and Lions Gate as exclusives. The rest are multi-platform. Look at the upcoming releases...all the big titles, like 300, are coming to both formats. What you cant get on hd-dvd you can most likely get on Xbox Live Marketplace in Hi-Def.

thank you for correcting this guy its obvious he must be a blu-ray fanboy
ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ProjectPat187

seriously man the HDDVD player for the 360 is a rip off

If you really want it though wait till the price drops.

There is a minor difference b/w the hdmi input and the hddvd

another thing there ARE NO GOOD MOVIES ON HDDVD

DonMega187
hmm lets see i'm not gonna even guess what kind of drugs you use, THERE ARE TWICE AS MANY GOOD MOVIES ON HD-DVD THAN BLU-RAY, matter of fact there isn't one movie on Blu-Ray that I can think of that is good and please don't say no Pirates of the Carrabean
CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts

I have an HD-DVD player and it truly it much much better than cable HD signals. It's very crisp and the sound is better too. Definately worth the buy only $200 canadian.

firestorm9305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 firestorm9305
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
lol pirates is the only thing I would want on bluray, haha. Also spiderman which is sony so I know itll be bluray only. HD has awesome movies, I got king kong and v for vendetta, soon im getting shooter, bourne identity and supremacy, batman begins, and next month HEROES season 1 comes out on hd dvd, and transformers is gonna be on hd dvd. Lol, bluray doesn't have much on hd.
genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 genfuyung
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts
blu ray is just another failing sony format. check ur PM box.
genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 genfuyung

A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.jimm895

typical BS. net flix has not gone to blu ray and neither has blockbuster online. only af ew stores actually carry blu ray. Hd dvd has universal supporting it along with warner bros and a few others releaseing for both formats. This guys response alone is enogh to stay away from blu ray.

genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 genfuyung
[QUOTE="Videodogg"]

[QUOTE="jimm895"]A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.ProjectPat187

its worth notign that because all blu ray players are different and dont share uniform capabilities disney and fox refuse to release content for blu ray.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
The thing everyone seems to forget about is how many sudios is owned by Sony or the others that Sony now holds the major share in. And then there is Disiney and Fox studios that haven't released any movie on HD DVD in a few months now. The only studio that isn't using Blue-Ray now is Universal studios and that could in a short time be a very costly mistake. This time Sony did the format war in a totally differant way this time around. The first time they had no movie studios and this time around they pretty much own the majority of them or at least a controlling intrest in them this time. Examples are Sony pictures, Tri-Star pictures, and a huge or maybe now all of Parimont pictures. Along with a huge list that goes down the line.
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts

Wait for a good deal. People often used a $40 coupon to get it for $160 from Circuit City, which is amazing when you get a remote, king kong, and the drive in that box. Also, I've seen sales at Circuit City that let you choose two free movies ($60 value) intantly in store with your purchase.

Also, most people corrected the first poster. Blockbuster online and Netflix still carry both. Blockbuster stores, some 275 out of some 1000 stores were stocking both formats. And they based going to blu-ray off of rentals being higher with blu-ray, but that could have been misleading because of so many homes have a surge of blu-ray players because of the PS3. So they went with blu-ray, but those existing 275 stores will still carry HD-DVD. I mean this format war hasn't even got started yet, the average consumer that's going to decide this doesn't have the money for a $500 PS3 or even look at it as an option. These customers are the ones getting a $100 DVD Upscaler and tricked into a $100 HDMI cable with it. Luckily HD-DVD players are now as low as $299.

And that guy really needs to understand the difference between studios that support both formats with studios that are exclusive to one format, he made it sound like HD-DVD only have one studio releasing movies period.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ProjectPat187
The thing everyone seems to forget about is how many sudios is owned by Sony or the others that Sony now holds the major share in. And then there is Disiney and Fox studios that haven't released any movie on HD DVD in a few months now. The only studio that isn't using Blue-Ray now is Universal studios and that could in a short time be a very costly mistake. This time Sony did the format war in a totally differant way this time around. The first time they had no movie studios and this time around they pretty much own the majority of them or at least a controlling intrest in them this time. Examples are Sony pictures, Tri-Star pictures, and a huge or maybe now all of Parimont pictures. Along with a huge list that goes down the line.jimm895
we rather not hear anymore of ur false Sony fanboy blu-ray BS
andyb1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 andyb1205
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Here's my opinion guys.

Btw, I am planning on getting an Xbox 360 next month, because the Xbox 360 has a better 2007 lineup than PS3 by far. So yes, I am a Lemming.

I thought about getting the HD-DVD Add-on also which is $200Canadian, and I decided not to. Honestly, there are way more movies for Blu-Ray, trust me, you may be disappointed getting the HD-DVD. I don't care about Blu-Ray having more GB or whatever, I only cared about the movies, and let me tell you...Bluray has way more.

Yes there are some movies HD-DVD also has, 300 is for both formats and has some exclusive extras for the HD-DVD version, but that's just one movie.

Look. It would cost $200 for the HD-DVD addon, but for only $300 more you get a whole new console, PS3. I will be getting the PS3 after getting the Xbox 360 because its only $300 more..and Blu-Ray has way more movies. I'll be using the PS3 for watching movies and it would secure me getting some PS3 exclusives that I may want, such as a couple games this year, and mostly reserving it for MGS,etc next year.

Trust me man..if you realyyyy want hd-dvd or bluray, just get a PS3 (ONLY $300 more than HD-DVD addon..worth it dude). And I'm saying this by being a hard lemming.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

Exactly. I hate to say it - but HD-DVD may be going away before too long. BluRay is definitely winning the war on that front. MS has said they can and will offer a BluRay add on player in the future if that technology wins - so I would wait another year or so before choosing. I know it's a little bit of a wait - but you'll either want to take advantage of the PS3 price drop or wait and see if MS releases a 360 BluRay add on drive.

:)

Alpha172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 Alpha172
Member since 2007 • 1437 Posts
Seriously, get a HD DVD Player.
TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts
[QUOTE="Videodogg"]

[QUOTE="jimm895"]A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.ProjectPat187

By reading your comments so far in this post you are easily an HD-DVD fanboy so i wouldn't call anyone a fanboy if i were you. I'm still not sure if i should buy an HD-DVD player, i have a ps3 already and yes there are more movies for it compared to HD-DVD library. Don't call me a fanboy because i am a fanboy for nothing, some of you act like these companies are paying you to argue for them. Relax and buy what you like.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts
[QUOTE="ProjectPat187"][QUOTE="Videodogg"]

[QUOTE="jimm895"]A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.TM1

By reading your comments so far in this post you are easily an HD-DVD fanboy so i wouldn't call anyone a fanboy if i were you. I'm still not sure if i should buy an HD-DVD player, i have a ps3 already and yes there are more movies for it compared to HD-DVD library. Don't call me a fanboy because i am a fanboy for nothing, some of you act like these companies are paying you to argue for them. Relax and buy what you like.

Kudos!

And I agree - I was posting in the PS3 forums earlier today telling people that if they really want the Halo series (and don't let them fool you - they DO), that they need to quit being fan boys, save their pennies and buy a 360 to go along with their PS3's. :)

Both systems are great - no need to pick sides.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="jimm895"]A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.DataDream

Exactly. I hate to say it - but HD-DVD may be going away before too long. BluRay is definitely winning the war on that front. MS has said they can and will offer a BluRay add on player in the future if that technology wins - so I would wait another year or so before choosing. I know it's a little bit of a wait - but you'll either want to take advantage of the PS3 price drop or wait and see if MS releases a 360 BluRay add on drive.

Yeah, just wait until one format is clearly the winner so you will choose the next standard and not the next flop.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

You're joking right? I want some of what you're smoking if you think that digital delivery of movies is going to be taking over any time soon. Most of the country either can't afford high speed internet or doesn't have access to it. Who wants to buy more hard drive space when theywant to buy more movies? Maybe it's just me but I still like to own the box and disc. Also let's say I want to go to a friends house and watch one of my movies. Do I have to bring my xbox or apple tv over? It's much easier to just bring the disc over and watch it. MAYBE in 10 years digital downloads will begin to take over but not in 5.matt3456

ahh but most of the peoplein the country couldnt afford a dvd player when they first came out, or even a VCR for that matter, hell they were like a grand when they came out.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts
[QUOTE="TM1"][QUOTE="ProjectPat187"][QUOTE="Videodogg"]

[QUOTE="jimm895"]A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.DataDream

Kudos!

And I agree - I was posting in the PS3 forums earlier today telling people that if they really want the Halo series (and don't let them fool you - they DO), that they need to quit being fan boys, save their pennies and buy a 360 to go along with their PS3's. :)

u are so freaking absolutely right, i have a 360 elite, and i love the hell out of it, bu thats not gonna stop me from getting a ps3 in a few months after i get my sharp AQOUS 32 inch 1080p lcd, nice right? hell this way i can enjoy both my 360elite and my ps3 in beautiful 1080p and get the best both worlds have to offer. know what i mean?

TM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TM1
Member since 2004 • 7249 Posts
[QUOTE="DataDream"][QUOTE="TM1"][QUOTE="ProjectPat187"][QUOTE="Videodogg"]

[QUOTE="jimm895"]A word of wisdom before bying a HD DVD do some indepth research on what and who is supporting the format before hand. The Blue-Ray is taking over in the movie media and actually begining to show up in game development as well. As of now there is only one studio supporting HD DVD where the rest are supporting Blue-Ray. Blockbuster and Netflix has already gone to Blue-Ray as well. Just a few things to get you started in your search.Lach0121

Kudos!

u are so freaking absolutely right, i have a 360 elite, and i love the hell out of it, bu thats not gonna stop me from getting a ps3 in a few months after i get my sharp AQOUS 32 inch 1080p lcd, nice right? hell this way i can enjoy both my 360elite and my ps3 in beautiful 1080p and get the best both worlds have to offer. know what i mean?

I know what you mean, have everything hooked up to my 40 inch 1080p Samsung, both 360 and PS3 look incredible on it.

technofranki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 technofranki
Member since 2005 • 1333 Posts

So, I have an Elite. And the HDMI upscales my DVDs. Is it necessary to get an HD DVD player? Or should I just stick to my regular DVDs?0pius

DVD is the leading format and have the most movies and it will for years to come. But if you want hi-def movies, you need HD DVD or Blue-ray. I have the the HD DVD player and realy like it. And I will buy a PS3 soon.

Digital Media is the future. With storage space getting cheaper and internet speeds getting faster neither HD-DVD nor BluRay will still be going strong in 5 years. daviwinn

Yes, it's probably the future, but we're not there yet. And another thing, I like to have a physical disc in my hand. To me its feel more safe than a file on a harddrive.

Most of the country either can't afford high speed internet or doesn't have access to it. Who wants to buy more hard drive space when theywant to buy more movies? Maybe it's just me but I still like to own the box and disc. Also let's say I want to go to a friends house and watch one of my movies. Do I have to bring my xbox or apple tv over? It's much easier to just bring the disc over and watch it. matt3456

Yes, exactly.

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts

You're joking right? I want some of what you're smoking if you think that digital delivery of movies is going to be taking over any time soon. Most of the country either can't afford high speed internet or doesn't have access to it. Who wants to buy more hard drive space when theywant to buy more movies? Maybe it's just me but I still like to own the box and disc. Also let's say I want to go to a friends house and watch one of my movies. Do I have to bring my xbox or apple tv over? It's much easier to just bring the disc over and watch it. MAYBE in 10 years digital downloads will begin to take over but not in 5.matt3456

No I'm serious. IPTV (along with the fiber optic network) is going to change the way we watch television and movies, and it will be here very soon. I can already download many HD DVD releases through the marketplace, so why spend the extra money on the player? I can understand the wanting a physical copy thing but for the average consumer (like myself) watching a movie once is enough. If you feel the need to watch it again in a year, download it again.

lotr_2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lotr_2003
Member since 2003 • 2096 Posts
The Matrix trilogy and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are coming exclusively on HDDVD. HDDVD is not yet dead until it has no support. Even if it only has 1 company supporting it, it will still be out in stores. The truth is, bluray and hddvd will both survive for this hd era. That's why it would be smart to have both players or buy a player that plays both formats. Microsoft would be wise to make a player that plays bluray and hddvd and give a discount to those who bought the old hddvd player.
boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts
I have to say I prefer HD-DVD's but purly for practical reasons, most HD-DVD's come with the standard DVD as well as the HD so I can still lend the films to my mates that dont have high def players.
suade907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 suade907
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts
IMO it's worth it just to buy it for the Planet Earth BBC HD-DVD series. The quality on that is unsurpassed IMHO.
matt3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 matt3456

[QUOTE="matt3456"]You're joking right? I want some of what you're smoking if you think that digital delivery of movies is going to be taking over any time soon. Most of the country either can't afford high speed internet or doesn't have access to it. Who wants to buy more hard drive space when theywant to buy more movies? Maybe it's just me but I still like to own the box and disc. Also let's say I want to go to a friends house and watch one of my movies. Do I have to bring my xbox or apple tv over? It's much easier to just bring the disc over and watch it. MAYBE in 10 years digital downloads will begin to take over but not in 5.daviwinn

No I'm serious. IPTV (along with the fiber optic network) is going to change the way we watch television and movies, and it will be here very soon. I can already download many HD DVD releases through the marketplace, so why spend the extra money on the player? I can understand the wanting a physical copy thing but for the average consumer (like myself) watching a movie once is enough. If you feel the need to watch it again in a year, download it again.

You have to pay everytime you want to watch the movie. How many extras come with that download?

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
[QUOTE="daviwinn"]

[QUOTE="matt3456"]You're joking right? I want some of what you're smoking if you think that digital delivery of movies is going to be taking over any time soon. Most of the country either can't afford high speed internet or doesn't have access to it. Who wants to buy more hard drive space when theywant to buy more movies? Maybe it's just me but I still like to own the box and disc. Also let's say I want to go to a friends house and watch one of my movies. Do I have to bring my xbox or apple tv over? It's much easier to just bring the disc over and watch it. MAYBE in 10 years digital downloads will begin to take over but not in 5.matt3456

You have to pay everytime you want to watch the movie. How many extras come with that download?

And what if you want an uncompressed 1080p version of it? Oh wait, that doesn't exist. Marketplace is cool, but it's not even close to what HD DVD and Blu Ray offer.

deus-kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deus-kai
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts

your out of your mind. hd dvd has way more good movies then blu-ray.

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

I have the 360's HD DVD player and the PS3. I honestly think that Blu-ray will come out the winner in the end. If you don't mind spending the $200, there are a ton of great HD DVDs out there. Otherwise, save your money and just get a Blu-ray player.

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
>And what if you want an uncompressed 1080p version of it? Oh wait, that doesn't exist. Marketplace is cool, but it's not even close to what HD DVD and Blu Ray offer.Large_Soda
Thats right, it doesnt exist becuase all 3 are compressed.
TheFrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 TheFrow
Member since 2006 • 232 Posts
HD DVD is great, but I prefer Blu-Ray a lot better. I have both players, seperate, and I use my Blu-Ray player a lot more. Ontop of it, HD movies are coming to the Xbox Live Marketplace soon, so an attachment for your 360 wouldf be a massive waste of money, unless you want to spend it.
Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts

It doesn't matter if Blu-Ray win's because if everyone stop's supporting hd, your movies will always look good.firestorm9305

If you use the normal 360 DVD drive over VGA or HDMI it already upscales anyway so what would be the point of using the HD-DVD drive for normal DVDs?? Pretty bad reason to buy it...

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

[QUOTE="firestorm9305"]It doesn't matter if Blu-Ray win's because if everyone stop's supporting hd, your movies will always look good.Goldeneyemaster

If you use the normal 360 DVD drive over VGA or HDMI it already upscales anyway so what would be the point of using the HD-DVD drive for normal DVDs?? Pretty bad reason to buy it...

...eh...expect for the fact that upscaled dvd's dont look anywhere near as good as a real hd-dvd. Why do people not understand this?

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TimothyB
[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"]

[QUOTE="firestorm9305"]It doesn't matter if Blu-Ray win's because if everyone stop's supporting hd, your movies will always look good.Videodogg

...eh...expect for the fact that upscaled dvd's dont look anywhere near as good as a real hd-dvd. Why do people not understand this?

Maybe because darn advertising on upscalers keep saying "near HD quality," and anyone with a 50 plus inch screen can tell you that's no where near true. Even a great upscaler that removes compression noise still can't compete with the real thing and better bandwidth of HD-DVDs. And then you have upscalers with the words "HD DVD Upscaler," confusing people into thinking it's the same as a HD-DVD player and buys the upscaler for $100 and ignores the more expensive real player thinking it's no different.

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TimothyB

[QUOTE="firestorm9305"]It doesn't matter if Blu-Ray win's because if everyone stop's supporting hd, your movies will always look good.Goldeneyemaster

So you saying if I upscaled that small "300" clip in your avatar to DVD resolution that it would be just as good as the real DVD? Same with DVD and HD-DVD, upscaling is just stretching the DVD to be something bigger, which your HDTV does already as how else does it fill the resolution of your HD screen, it's just a good upscaler does better than a tv and few tricks to remove dvd flaws. But it still just can't compete with a video that starts off with 6 times the detail as DVD and no compression noise or other problems DVD suffer from.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I'd say save your money. Digital Media is the future. With storage space getting cheaper and internet speeds getting faster neither HD-DVD nor BluRay will still be going strong in 5 years. Now that it has been proven that Movies can be delivered electronically and still protect the Media Rights so copies aren't easily made (Amazon.com's Unbox, Xbox LIVE's MArketplace, etc) it is only a matter of time before all content is available in this way. It's cheaper for everyone involved and more convenient for consumers.daviwinn

I think we're still a ways off from that, but the digital distribution of movies and television shows has pretty much been the goal of this industry for quite a long time. You're right that the DRM issues have mostly been sorted out, and that storage is hardly an issue anymore, but broadband access doesn't have the sort of market penetration that could allow it to have exclusivity for a format. Not to mention that most broadband is cable or DSL in the States... fiber is being laid all over this country, but not enough households are making the most of it and DLing a 1080p movie is a pain in the ahem via cable and DSL. And you can't compare a 720p movie with a 1080p movie. That's one of the reasons you buy a BluRay or HDDVD player.

Then there's the issue of Ultra HD. They're already working on players and formats and such that support higher resolutions than 1080p. Don't remember exactly what it was, but it more than doubled it if I remember correctly. Download THAT.

I'd wait until a format is chosen as the clear victor, really. But as far as waiting for complete digital distribution, or Ultra HD or holograms or whatever? That's like saying don't buy a car because they'll be coming out with a flying car before you know it.