Have I outgrown Video Games or are they getting worse?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 conmbo2
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts
Hi Everyone, Just joined here... Im always viewing threads so I thought I'd Join. I'm 28 and I find it harder and harder to find a video game that I enjoy. Anyone else have the same problem? I can play about 5 minutes of Gears of War 3 Campaign before I am bored out of my mind... its so repetitive. Games I loved: Uncharted Series MGS Series Heavy Rain (beat it three times) HL Series Battlefield BC and 3 Alan Wake Mass Effect Series (Favorite Xbox games) Bioshock Games I play and I like : Dark Souls (Even though the game is impossible) Fifa 12 Left 4 Dead Games I do not like or cant get into get into Batman Arkham City Killzone 2 (I know its a ps3 title) Red Dead Redemption Fallout Halo Crysis Madden Next Gen Series is terrible Sorry I could of made that list go on and on... I just thought maybe someone would have a similar taste. Can Anyone recommend a game for me? Matt
Otulissa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Otulissa
Member since 2005 • 848 Posts

I was having a similiar problem, felt bored with what I was playing. So I took a break, didn't play anything for about 2 months. When I came back everything felt fresh and i'm still going strong. I suggest either taking a break, or play something that you normally wouldnt get. I bought de blob 2 and Ghostbusters and had a great time with the difference.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts
33 here. I don't think I'm in the same boat. However, I have found that my tastes have become more selective. I wouldn't make it through GoW either. However, I played through Hunted: The Demon's Forge...lol yep weird I know, but I really enjoyed it. Also, I find myself still very much in love with open world games...err sandbox I should have said. And who knows maybe you are growing out of gaming, but then again I believe that's like saying you're growing out of watching movies. I just see it all as entertainment. Me? I'm a teacher, have a daughter, ex wife, girl friend...and I'm still a manticore nerd :)
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

Sounds like you just might be burnt out on gaming at the moment. It happens. For some people, its just a temporary thing. Or it could well be that you're just growing out of gaming. That happens, too.

You might also just be getting more selective with what you like to play, which is understandable, especially if you dont have a ton of time.

Personally, I'm having the opposite problem. I'm 28 as well, but games just seem to keep getting better and better. I think we're in a bit of a golden age in gaming and there's so much good stuff to play. I need more time and money!

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

Well I have been playing games my whole life....and well I am not boerd...when I get boerd I go play the games that I used to play when I was young

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I think every game puts you in a particular mindset. You have to give the game time to put you in that mindset. Once you are, you will start to enjoy it but once you move onto the next game, it can be hard to get into it because you're still in the mindset of the previous one. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? I think it's the reason why a lot of Call of Duty players only like Call of Duty. They've been playing it so long and that mindset is now so deep-rooted that they can't enjoy anything else. The games you listed aren't bad games. You just probably didn't give them enough time to become enjoyable. Here's an example of it happening to me.... I spent 100 hours playing Dark Souls. I was very much in the Dark Souls mindset. It was all I played for months. I then decided to play the next game on my list which was Skyward Sword. Very different games. I couldn't get into Zelda and even considered going back for another playthrough of Dark Souls. I didn't go back, though. I gave Skyward Sword more time and even forced myself to play it when I didn't want to and then eventually my mindset changed and I started to enjoy it. In fact, I'd say Skyward Sword is one of the best games I've played in a long time.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

You just probably need a break from video games until something exciting comes out. Like Mass Effect 3 for example. I only buy a handful of games each year and i hand-pick them very carefully.

Keep it up man!

singtim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 singtim
Member since 2011 • 38 Posts
i think before games got the awesome graphics they had now, the story line and to some extent game play were much more important. i get bored with a lot of supposedly brilliant games at the moment but some of the less flashy ones like Bastion for example had me hooked
Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

Like the other fella said, I think you should revist some classics or play some classics that you have never played before so it can get yourself out of that phase :P

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 conmbo2
i think before games got the awesome graphics they had now, the story line and to some extent game play were much more important. i get bored with a lot of supposedly brilliant games at the moment but some of the less flashy ones like Bastion for example had me hookedsingtim
Thank you for all the responses! ^^ I feel the exact same way... I think thats why I liked heavy rain so much and uncharted... they focus on everything... games just there for graphics isnt my cup of tea :D
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 conmbo2
@ Urban Flow Thats what I am going to do... Im going to get the MGS HD pack and play the old ones ... Thanks!
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Hi friend. I'm 17 years and I am sick of videogames. If I play 1 hour a day it's enough for me. I only play games with brilliant stories or games with no story at all. Therefore, I have about 20 games on my 360 and I'm not planning to buy many more throughout this year.

The games I'm buying this year:

• Assassin's Creed III
  • Asura's Wrath
  • Darksiders II
  • Devil May Cry
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • GTA V
  • Halo 4
  • Syndicate
  • The Witcher 2

And that will keep me entertained for the rest of the year. Try to find other sources of entertainment like I did. TV shows, movies and books are awesome.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm 40 and i still try to game as much as possible but its getting harder especially now that i'm married with two kids but maybe you need to play the games that you really like to play.

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
28 here too, I think it's the later, games are getting worse. There are games these days I've enjoyed a lot, but some of them I just can't. You can always go back to play the old ones while you wait for a good game to come, I tend to revisit Yoshi's Island, Zelda OOT, or even Pokemon Gold once in a while when I get bored of curent gen games. I would recommend playing Alice Madness Returns, for me one of the best games I've played in a very long time, a bit repetitive but the story and artwork make it worth your time.
hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts

I am 27 here and can't find myself getting board with games especially with shooters and Sports games. Maybe I am just a really hardcore gamer but I can't see myself stopping for a long long while! (My fiance isn't too fond of this but she knows I am not getting out of gaming anytime soon lol)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

Games I do not like or cant get into get into Red Dead Redemption Fallout Mattconmbo2

dont know what to say...RDR and fallout 3 are great games...

Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts
I have had the same issue. Im 20 if it means anything. Anyway, I just quit playing my games for about 6 months and then I got really bored one day so I started playing again and I had no problems getting into a game. Edit- Hell, I'd probably be playing Resident Evil 4 or New Vegas right now if my girlfriend didnt have BOTH my Xbox and PS3 at her house -.-
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I got to the point that all I was playing was FPS's like MW3 and BF3. Finally one day I decided that running the same old maps over and over again was boring me to tears. I haven't played either game in over a month and to be honest, I dont even miss them. The funny thing is that I dont even really want to play anything else either. I have been trying to play Forza 4 and Alan Wake, but they cant hold my attention for more than about 10 minutes. I think I am just going to take a nice, long break from games. Maybe by Summer there will be something Ill want to play.
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

I think you should seek out less mainstream titles and try the XBLA they have some great stuff on there and its cheap.

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

I been gaming for over 27 years. I guess i should leave now i don't think i can help you.

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

I think you should seek out less mainstream titles and try the XBLA they have some great stuff on there and its cheap.

Gibsonsg527

Silver Dollar Games in the indie games section lol. They make some different stuff let me tell you. But yea gamers who own a 360 need to check out XBLA and XBLIG.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#22 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

worse... i get a game i can't play more then one week or two and i am done... we get the same game series. AAA titles every year and that crap gets old. We get no game series but they are not up to par with story nor graphics or bad game.

my xbox is like only used for netflix... atm right now

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#23 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Gone are the days of getting every "great" game. I simply get the games in the series that I enjoy, or ones that look like they have great potential. If I don't have a couple to play for a couple months it is no big deal to me anymore...

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 reach3
Member since 2012 • 1600 Posts
yake a break
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

36 here and I have found that I'm getting bored of certain types of games. CoD being the main one and I still havent bought GoW3 even though I loved the last 2 games. I will eventually get it but I just dont feel excited for it right now. Playing something different is definitely a good cure for boredom. I'm playing Dark Souls right now and I'm loving it.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

corporations have become greedy bastards imo and have shut everyone else out imo. If you disagree they just ban you. They've sued everyone else out and have gobbled up copyrights on stuff they dont even rightfully own. They buy licenses and have so much money they can afford it. I was reading an article about a guy who created a strategy guide for a sports game that was actually selling because it was better. But they shut him down because prima had the rights and a deal with EA because they paid for it. And wanted to make money off it. That's the state of the gaming industry in a nutshell imo. I dont even think people know there are other ways to do things and creative ideas any more because everyone has been shut out.

They've started to come back with these xbox live titles and rehashing old games because it fits a niche and people like us will buy them. But its still not innovative.

I think it's quite pathetic actually. Rome fell because of stuff like this. I see it all the time how arrogant people are. They ostracize peopel who feel differently. Are so arrogant about it.

Gaming is a cesspool and a huge majority of people who play these games speaks volumes.

I used to try to reason with people and see other peoples pov's on games. But it's not worth it. Most of these companies just do what they do and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks.

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 reach3
Member since 2012 • 1600 Posts
play more rpgs
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 conmbo2

worse... i get a game i can't play more then one week or two and i am done... we get the same game series. AAA titles every year and that crap gets old. We get no game series but they are not up to par with story nor graphics or bad game.

my xbox is like only used for netflix... atm right now

k2theswiss
Haha yeah me too, and espn3 so I can watch soccer
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 conmbo2

36 here and I have found that I'm getting bored of certain types of games. CoD being the main one and I still havent bought GoW3 even though I loved the last 2 games. I will eventually get it but I just dont feel excited for it right now. Playing something different is definitely a good cure for boredom. I'm playing Dark Souls right now and I'm loving it.

MentatAssassin
Yeah dark souls is fun but its so hard! God of War III was not as good as the first one.... I would of beat the game but it kept freezing at the same spot... [QUOTE="Celtic_34"

corporations have become greedy bastards imo and have shut everyone else out imo. If you disagree they just ban you. They've sued everyone else out and have gobbled up copyrights on stuff they dont even rightfully own. They buy licenses and have so much money they can afford it. I was reading an article about a guy who created a strategy guide for a sports game that was actually selling because it was better. But they shut him down because prima had the rights and a deal with EA because they paid for it. And wanted to make money off it. That's the state of the gaming industry in a nutshell imo. I dont even think people know there are other ways to do things and creative ideas any more because everyone has been shut out. They've started to come back with these xbox live titles and rehashing old games because it fits a niche and people like us will buy them. But its still not innovative. I think it's quite pathetic actually. Rome fell because of stuff like this. I see it all the time how arrogant people are. They ostracize peopel who feel differently. Are so arrogant about it. Gaming is a cesspool and a huge majority of people who play these games speaks volumes. I used to try to reason with people and see other peoples pov's on games. But it's not worth it. Most of these companies just do what they do and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks.

Yeah man look at Madden, its awful but they have all the copyrights... Ea has most of the soccer copyrights too so PES never has full licenses :(
Enjae_Reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Enjae_Reaper
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I thought I had the same problem it comes time to time. The cure for it is Moutain Dew and switching up. What I mean by that is try something new. Me for an example I like to be stoned when I play games that I know would scare me or take me on an adventure as a character. With that feeling I personally feel like im in that characters shoes and I find it more enjoyable whenI feel like Im that character and in turn I feel not bored. But thats just the way I find entertainment ur way could be different
allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 allboutkiln
Member since 2010 • 508 Posts

Since Pong, games have progressed significantly.

Minus the garbage, we've got some of the best interactive entertainment on the planet.

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 conmbo2
I thought I had the same problem it comes time to time. The cure for it is Moutain Dew and switching up. What I mean by that is try something new. Me for an example I like to be stoned when I play games that I know would scare me or take me on an adventure as a character. With that feeling I personally feel like im in that characters shoes and I find it more enjoyable whenI feel like Im that character and in turn I feel not bored. But thats just the way I find entertainment ur way could be differentEnjae_Reaper
ha, unfortunately id my job with the drug tests and all with that...
Enjae_Reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Enjae_Reaper

Yeah that the only down fall of my idea..besides the other ones

Legendism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Legendism
Member since 2011 • 71 Posts

I'm 16, and I've recently undergone a massive change of taste in games. When I was from around 11 y/o until just a few months ago, I'd be on Call of Duty and GTA: IV online for hours on end. Now I can't stand that sort of thing anymore. I play Battlefield 3 most days but that's for half an hour max - and only if one of my friends are playing it.

I've now found myself playing (with the recommendations of some of the fine people here!) games like Deadly Premonition, Metro 2033, Lost Odyssey etc.

conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 conmbo2

I'm 16, and I've recently undergone a massive change of taste in games. When I was from around 11 y/o until just a few months ago, I'd be on Call of Duty and GTA: IV online for hours on end. Now I can't stand that sort of thing anymore. I play Battlefield 3 most days but that's for half an hour max - and only if one of my friends are playing it.

I've now found myself playing (with the recommendations of some of the fine people here!) games like Deadly Premonition, Metro 2033, Lost Odyssey etc.

Legendism
I can only play battlefield 3 for a half an hour too... I have it on the PC I have never heard of any of those games you just mentioned... I will look them up now
chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts

I'm 19 and Im kinda feeling the same way, I hope this is not the case.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I think what others are saying (about taking a break) seems to make the most amount of sense. Focus on other hobbies and whatnot, and come back to gaming in a bit.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#38 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Neither.
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 conmbo2
Deadly Premonition... I was checking that out last night... I can care less about the controls and other things along the line as long as the story is good and its fun... Is that the case? The game is ten USD :D I saw it at ebgames yesterday
COG_Army

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 COG_Army
Dude you tottaly need to play Gears of War 3 its EPIC and play on Xboxlive
COG_Army

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 COG_Army
Dude you tottaly need to play Gears of War 3 its EPIC and play on Xboxlive
grimms2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 grimms2
Member since 2008 • 63 Posts
Trust me..... I know exactly what your going through. I'm 30, married with two kids, and find it hard to make time for gaming, but I do. It's one of my main ways to escape everyday life (Reality). What worked for me to get back into modern gaming? Playing older games and also reading more, watching movies and listening to good music. Gaming can get pretty mundane after awhile. This is coming from someone who has been gaming since the age of Atari. 2600 model to be exact. You will have those periods in your life, where nothing will interest you gaming wise, but some game, will bring you back to gaming. Just give it time.
VintageVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VintageVader
Member since 2012 • 75 Posts
You might just be burned out from gaming so take a break and see what that does for you.
Avatar image for Wetworks_Gunner
Wetworks_Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wetworks_Gunner
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts

i think before games got the awesome graphics they had now, the story line and to some extent game play were much more important. i get bored with a lot of supposedly brilliant games at the moment but some of the less flashy ones like Bastion for example had me hookedsingtim

yeah i feel like that's a big problem now a days. I just bought Skyrim, i'm really hoping that i get hooked on it.

Smileyvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Smileyvirus
Member since 2010 • 232 Posts
32 y.o here and I do understand what you're saying. All I find these days is that I buy fewer and fewer games, and focus more on the ones that interest me. It's also useful to take a break now and then, have a few weeks off and do something else. Don;t forget as well to sometimes move out of your comfort zone - Looking at your games list there are a *lot* of FPS on there. Try something like final fantasy 13. Finally - Don't give up on Dark souls! It is so painfully sadistically hard, but stick in there and get some co-op going, or try to join a PvP covenant and go hunting other people!
xDeadMarchx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 xDeadMarchx
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts
It's ridiculous to think that games are getting worse. I can't get enough of the latest games. There have been a lot of sequels that didn't live up to expectations though, but you can only expect that when half of their staff leaves to do new projects, or new developers take over (which perfectly describes what's happened to CoD coincidentally). I played through Enslaved and Vanquish over the last week or two, and I can tell you they were excellent. Mass Effect was very impressive too, I'm playing through it for the third time round, this time on insanity. It gave us a simple wheel to make descisions with. Back in the days of PC rpgs, you'd have to read through huge text options to select what you want to say, I think the decision wheel was a major improvement. Super Street fighter IV has been one of the greatest fighting games released, it spiked a rebirth in the popularity of fighting games.The graphics quality has progressed so much, and standards for games have increased too. Nobody will touch 2D games anymore, no matter how good they look. It's just the flow of sequels that has occurred that gives new developers a chance to make games that will still make profits and let the developers gain some experience.
conmbo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 conmbo2
[QUOTE="Smileyvirus"]32 y.o here and I do understand what you're saying. All I find these days is that I buy fewer and fewer games, and focus more on the ones that interest me. It's also useful to take a break now and then, have a few weeks off and do something else. Don;t forget as well to sometimes move out of your comfort zone - Looking at your games list there are a *lot* of FPS on there. Try something like final fantasy 13. Finally - Don't give up on Dark souls! It is so painfully sadistically hard, but stick in there and get some co-op going, or try to join a PvP covenant and go hunting other people!

Going co-op? You mean leaving a summon sign? Im stuck on the third boss right now and I have no humanity so I can not summon :(
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

I'm getting older and wanting to play more and more games, but it's getting expensive.

So it's not so much my age but the price of gaming. $60 for XBL, then $60 for the game, then $60 for a new controller, then $500 for a new HDTV...

Too broke for my hobby right now; but yeah - the games are great just have to stop looking at the mainstream stuff. Rayman Origins is one of the games on my list to get once some extra money rolls in.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Dude you tottaly need to play Gears of War 3 its EPIC and play on XboxliveCOG_Army
It's not that amazing....
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="conmbo2"]Hi Everyone, Just joined here... Im always viewing threads so I thought I'd Join. I'm 28 and I find it harder and harder to find a video game that I enjoy. Anyone else have the same problem? I can play about 5 minutes of Gears of War 3 Campaign before I am bored out of my mind... its so repetitive. ... Games I do not like or cant get into get into Batman Arkham City ...

Interesting. I've felt the same way since '09 for the most part, but Arkham City is one of the best games I've played in years. What was it about AC you couldn't get into? I think it's the best Beat 'em Up since Super Double Dragon on SNES.