Halo 3: ODST; The most disappointing game of 2009?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#51 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

Man, the OP sure hit a nerve with some of the ODST fanboys here. My goodness, you guys are in full defense mode!

glesniak
Sure is a lot of bungie **** here. It's like after the huge commercial success of the first Halo, Bungie bought about a few million dollars' worth of weed and smoked out all memory of how to make a campaign worth playing. While it is nice to know that there are no flood in ODST, judging from the words of others here, it seems like Bungie needs to go back to school and take classes in Campaign Mode 101 through 490 all over again. And from the descriptions about Firefight mode, it sounds like they also tried to (poorly) steal a mode that was done earlier and better in Gears of War 2.
people see the word "halo" and it automatically has to be a AAA (that's 90% or higher average score for people that don't know) game to be credible by gamers, the game is good imo, worth 60? not really, more like a 10 dollar value.wizdom
Fixed. ;) And even then, I would rather pay the $17 worth of points for the Saint's Row 2 DLC available than to pay ten for this slop Bungie just shat out onto the market. And Microsoft needs to start banging some heads together and making non-Halo franchises worth keeping the 360 for.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
The difference is with your point of view and mine are i expected ODST to be an over-priced glorified crap expansion pack when it came out and i had no intention of buying it. Though lately i've been playing it at two of my freinds houses im pretty impressed and probaly am going to purchase it now.
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#53 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="glesniak"]

Man, the OP sure hit a nerve with some of the ODST fanboys here. My goodness, you guys are in full defense mode!

codezer0

Sure is a lot of bungie **** here. It's like after the huge commercial success of the first Halo, Bungie bought about a few million dollars' worth of weed and smoked out all memory of how to make a campaign worth playing. While it is nice to know that there are no flood in ODST, judging from the words of others here, it seems like Bungie needs to go back to school and take classes in Campaign Mode 101 through 490 all over again. And from the descriptions about Firefight mode, it sounds like they also tried to (poorly) steal a mode that was done earlier and better in Gears of War 2.
people see the word "halo" and it automatically has to be a AAA (that's 90% or higher average score for people that don't know) game to be credible by gamers, the game is good imo, worth 60? not really, more like a 10 dollar value.wizdom
Fixed. ;) And even then, I would rather pay the $17 worth of points for the Saint's Row 2 DLC available than to pay ten for this slop Bungie just shat out onto the market. And Microsoft needs to start banging some heads together and making non-Halo franchises worth keeping the 360 for.

Why are you criticizing a game that you haven't played yourself? Also, people give too much credit to Gears of War for their horde mode...it's not an original idea; It's just a survival mode and it has existed for years.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Nope I haven't been disappointed by any games this year. I think you need to really think harder on what you buy or rent games before you buy them. I see these types of theads everytime I come on here it seems like people would finally figure out what they like and avoid what they wont.. Also you could have easily gotten this game for $50, $60 with a $20 gift card and an action figure, or waited for it to become cheaper.

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
I think $50 would be more appropiate. $10 for the 3 new maps and $40 for the campain/firefight.
Avatar image for Ho1den_Caufield
Ho1den_Caufield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Ho1den_Caufield
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

Who ever is dissapointed with ODST should not be, as they should have know it was Halo 3.1. Aside from that Halo 3 is garbage. The only good Halo game was Halo: Combat Evolved, after that it just became stupid. However to fill this void, COD4 took its place and is much better than ODST and H3. The sooner you people realize this the sooner Bungie will actually put thought into their games and produce something as good as H1.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 codezer0

Why are you criticizing a game that you haven't played yourself? Also, people give too much credit to Gears of War for their horde mode...it's not an original idea; It's just a survival mode and it has existed for years.

a55a55inx
Because I've already played Halo 3 to the point of getting all 1000 original gamerscore... and grew to hate it by the time I got through with that. I did not say that Horde mode in Gears was original, either. But I do feel it was better executed than Firefight. At least if your friends aren't online, or you don't have any that have the game, it isn't difficult to find some random players to match up with for it. With ODST, Bungie is (rather sneakily) requiring everyone to have a copy in order to be able to play it at all, much less do what is required for the achievements that most certainly can only be had in that specific mode. I can safely criticize ODST on the count that I've already played the first three (core) Halo games, and simply... after the first, find that Bungie has basically forgot how to make a campaign worth playing. I'm also sick and fed up with the current Halo online community, which has done little more than show me why I could do without a Gold subscription to Xbox Live. (and if you're wondering, the reason I'm gold now was because I was able to jump on a rather absurd fire sale on live cards @ the campus bookstore - 12-month cards for $12.50 each :shock: ). The irony about the situation, is that I did not even purchase Halo 3 for myself; rather, it was gifted to me by a former neighbor. Soon after he'd moved out, I got rid of that game and had no regrets. CoD4 on the other hand, I would love to pick up again... but failstop refuses to cut me a break on the price. :cry:
Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f5f1ece8fb
deactivated-5d3f5f1ece8fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5d3f5f1ece8fb
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

Ya, ODST was a rip-off. It was more like an expansion pack and it shouldve been dlc for cheaper. I'm also really dissapointed with it.

jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
Flame flame flame flame... flame... flame flame... flame! Flaming, but posting anyway. Nope, not most disappointing game of the year for me, maybe for you though. If you'd kept up with the previews you'd have known the campaign wasn't 20 hours long. The story wasn't thrown together, it was actually interesting and fun for me, but maybe you were expecting something totally ground breaking and new. Basically what you have is buyer's remorse and that's no one's fault but yours.
NightmareCV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 NightmareCV
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts
IMO ODST was the best Halo game since the first one. The campaign was no shorter than Halo 3's and was a much better overall story. Firefight is tons of fun and added originality to the franchise. To me ODST was a breath of fresh air and a sign that Halo is not in the decline I feared it was in. Having the opportunity to go back and do it again I'd buy ODST every time.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#61 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I really find that hard to believe. Unless you had unreasonable expectations and covered ears and screamed every time anyone told you anything about ODST before playing it I don't see how you could have been very disapointed. Even then though it's a good game. Save the disapointment for the bad ones.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#62 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

[QUOTE="a55a55inx"]

codezer0

Because I've already played Halo 3 to the point of getting all 1000 original gamerscore... and grew to hate it by the time I got through with that. I did not say that Horde mode in Gears was original, either. But I do feel it was better executed than Firefight. At least if your friends aren't online, or you don't have any that have the game, it isn't difficult to find some random players to match up with for it. With ODST, Bungie is (rather sneakily) requiring everyone to have a copy in order to be able to play it at all, much less do what is required for the achievements that most certainly can only be had in that specific mode. I can safely criticize ODST on the count that I've already played the first three (core) Halo games, and simply... after the first, find that Bungie has basically forgot how to make a campaign worth playing. I'm also sick and fed up with the current Halo online community, which has done little more than show me why I could do without a Gold subscription to Xbox Live. (and if you're wondering, the reason I'm gold now was because I was able to jump on a rather absurd fire sale on live cards @ the campus bookstore - 12-month cards for $12.50 each :shock: ).

Having played Halo 3 doesnt mean you know what your talking about when you criticise ODST, a different game. And how does does ODST not having match making "rather sneakily require everyone to have a copy in order to be able to play it at all" any different than Gears 2's horde? In Gears 2 multiple people have to have copies of the game if you want to play with a full team. In Fire fightpeople needmultiple copies to get a full team. In both games you can play the game solo and in both games you can do split screen.

When you said in a previous post that Fire fight sounded like Bungie tried to steal a mode that was done in Gears of War 2 you were implying that the Fire fight was some howless original despite the fact the modeexisted long before horde.

With out playing it yourself though you really have no say in it... You can't safely criticise ODST's campaign with out having played it yourself.

It's pointless to complain about Halo's community solely when any popular online game is full of jerks regardless if you recognize that fact or not.

Honestly your just coming across as another one of those guys who loves to waste their time complaining about Halo. I mean, your arguing with a bunch of people telling them a game you never played is bad.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 codezer0
Dude, it's the same **** engine,and the same **** multiplayer. It even recycles the same **** locations from the same **** Halo 3. And what I mean about the lack of matchmaking in ODST, is that you can't just try to find some new people to play with, when none of your existing friends either have a copy, or can play. Meaning, if you want to play that mode (or need to do some achievement grinding in it), you either have to have friends already there to play, or you're not going to be able to play, again because of the lack of matchmaking. So Firefight just comes off as a broken game mode, and no doubt bungie has made some requisite achievements and gamerscore tied to playing it. And again, Bungie fails to deliver on the campaign. And considering that the Halo 3 Multiplayer was already the mode I hated most from that game, and ODST just xerox's it wholesale, what justification would I have, if I enjoyed the campaign from Halo 1, to play ODST at all if Halo 3 was such a dead fetus by comparison?
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

And again, Bungie fails to deliver on the campaign.codezer0

Which parts of the campaign don't you like?

Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

Flame flame flame flame... flame... flame flame... flame! Flaming, but posting anyway. Nope, not most disappointing game of the year for me, maybe for you though. If you'd kept up with the previews you'd have known the campaign wasn't 20 hours long. The story wasn't thrown together, it was actually interesting and fun for me, but maybe you were expecting something totally ground breaking and new. Basically what you have is buyer's remorse and that's no one's fault but yours.jmartinez1983

What he said.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#66 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
[QUOTE="PlzDuntBanMe"]People always want to be "different", so they think its cool to hate on popular things.Remora133
exactly

but in this case he's not cursing out the game, he's basically saying it's over-priced. He might think he's cool for hating ODST, but he did say he was a fan of the game....
rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#67 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

I like the game not sure whats disappointing about it. Four player co-op campaign, firefight and the entire Halo 3 multiplayer. If you already have Halo 3 and bought the maps it is not the greatest deal but for those who don't have Halo 3 it is an excellent deal. I have Halo 3 and paid for the new maps before ODST and I still think ODST is a great game.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 codezer0

[QUOTE="codezer0"]And again, Bungie fails to deliver on the campaign.Palantas

Which parts of the campaign don't you like?

In Halo 1, the only really annoying part of the campaign I would say would be the Flood, and trying to deal with them crawling (all over) you and having points (especially on higher-difficulty runs) where you run out of ammo far too quickly. In Halo 2, I didn't find the arbiter story arc itself as bad as some of the fans made it out to be, but it's as if your covenant allies manage to be even more dumbed down to what is going on to the soldiers on the Chief's side. Most of the new weapon additions, especailly compared to the original game's possible arsenal, felt like they were doing hardly any damage at all, and it certainly felt like either hit detection or headshot damage were nerfed in the engine, because I would be thoroughly disappointed with the SMG's and most weapons single-handed, and almost constantly needed to dual-wield the stuff in order to get the rate of fire needed to effectively put them down and make them stay down. Halo 3's was just... a mess. Too many parts in given missions had difficulty spiking up unreasonably and made many missions take much longer to complete than I'd cared for, which also made those meta-game score objectives even more aggravating to achieve. One minute you're cruising along, and the last section right before the next checkpoint save then slaughters you, and you're forced to restart and do all that over again. Or you're up in the high ledges sniping, only for some spawned enemy or flood to come up behind you, and push you off to fall to your death (embarrassingly). The smaller covenant (I forget their name) felt like they were trying to be the universe's equivalent to the ewoks, and were every bit as annoying to listen to. I didn't spend most of my time killing them because they were so easy, but more because I just wanted them to shut the hell up. The brutes in both games were pretty tough to take down, but it's like they made it worse in 3's engine. I've had too many episodes while trying to grind through of the opportunities I'd had for a solid melee kill only for the bastards to not die, turn around, and either insta-kill me with their hammer, or their buddies perforate me with their weapons fire. And with the campaign, even when I was trying to pay attention to the storyline and plot of what was going on, none of it felt like I was really making any kind of difference in the world that Bungie sloppily put together. [spoiler] Comparatively, the only faux pa issue I had with CoD4 was with that mission you start with sniping the dude from your vantage point... in my case, my bullet was lucky enough to travel and decapitate the bastard at the other end. Imagine my shock when I saw him not only alive, but only having lost an arm at the finale. It was much later that I figured out that you were only expected to dismember him, not decap him for it to make sense. [/spoiler] I personally was hoping they would have done more on the arbiter's side with Halo 3 before it came out, but Bungie instead chose to cop out and make both of them show up through the main plot, which just cheapens the quality of the campaign for me. From the review-provided in-game video of ODST, all I saw was more of the same. Brutes are programmed far smarter than their demeanor and species should have, and weapons seem to do absolutely no damage at all. And while the silenced pistol sounds like a great idea, I was put off by the fact that the GS reviewer stated that there's almost no practical use for it... which just makes me think "so why bother make a silenced weapon in the first place?" Also, considering how many times I'd been ripped up in the campaign with only the ability to regenerate health and shields being what kept me from reloading the chapter/checkpoint(s) ad nauseum, the lack of it in ODST just spells to me even more aggravation and sapping of any fun the game could have had. Knowing bungie's track record, I certainly cannot expect them to really do anything to help those of us that like to (or have to) tackle it solo. Also, in my case, I rarely ever buy a game specifically for the multiplayer. In nearly every case, I buy a game first for the campaign/story/single player, and treat any form of multiplayer as the "reward" for getting through the story. And given that the highest estimate for going through the campaign clocks at eight hours, I fail to see how this game warrants $60. Especially since by those numbers, that would mean it's even less actual campaign/plot/story than even Halo 3's spartan offering. I understand that ODST initially started as an expansion pack. And that's what it feels like - a $10~20 download title that instead is packaged in a $60 disc. And that just does not sit right with me.
left4awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 left4awesome
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
yeah i played it and was dissapointed. halo 3 was way better. if anything is good about this it is the firefight mode
MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts

I agree but the MS points never really have been a problem for me, my grandparents bought me a 4,000 point card every year. But 60$ for 4-6 hour campaign, MAYBE 10 hours for vidmasters and 3 new maps? complete rip-off, the biggest waste of money I have ever spent.nmsolo07

then why did u buy it? bungie made it clear since the very beggining it was a short SHORT campaign with the same halo3 MP ppl have been playing for the last couple of years and that FIrefight will not support Matchmaking. despite all of that u bought the game and come here whining cuz u feel bungie ripped you off?.. well im glad it happened. maybe next time u will make some research before popping 60 bucks just like that.