>>> Give Halo Wars a Better Review!

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60184bf49fdd4
deactivated-60184bf49fdd4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60184bf49fdd4
Member since 2006 • 160 Posts

6.5? Honestly? I would be willing to accept the concept of Halo Wars not living up to all the hype, but the demo I played was worthy of a higher score than that! Halo Wars does a great job at being a fun, immersive Halo-based RTS that's fast-paced and totally intuitive on the Xbox 360. I never knew an RTS could even be this easy with a controller. Yes, it sounds like the campaign is disappointingly short, and I can understand that knocking off about a star. But this reviewer seems to have compared the game ruthlessly to a PC RTS, complaining about, for example, the lack of ability to form control groups, though the game's intuitive group-forming selection achieved by pressing down on the D-pad is very easy to use. Also complaining about the lack of many diverse multiplayer modes shows a hardcore RTS player, while the game never claimed to be targetted towards such an audience. Also his gripe about the lack of Flood as a playable race is pure taste - personally I am glad they didn't, I think that would have been cheesy and badly balanced if they stayed close to the perception of the Flood as given in the Halo trilogy, and too radical of a re-imagining if they had been able to balance the Flood as a comparably diverse and controllable race.

Basically I'm asking for a more realistic, properly targetted review from Gamespot USA. What say you?

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I say no matter what we say and no matter how many of us say it they wont change the review.
Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
Halo war review was great until the GS. their reviews are getting jokes.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
It is just an opinion.If you enjoy the game that is all that matters.
mackey12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 mackey12345
Member since 2005 • 198 Posts

Its not the review that matters, its the player all the way, we are what matter to game developers, as long as we the players enjoyed the game, thats all they care about.

POWER TO THE PLAYERS!

th_0_mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 th_0_mm
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts

gamespot reviews are jokes, they used to be good, but now they are very lackluster, i mean the left for dead review got an 8.5, i played the game, and found it to be one of the best, solid, and incredibley fun games in a while, and that was from the single player standpoint

GAMESPOT!!!!! GET YOUR FREAKING REVIEWS RIGHT!!!!

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts
It got its score for being unusually shallow and inferior in terms of depth to every other rts game in the genre, besides there will always be the group of people who hate a great game. Even games such as Mass Effect, Assasins creed and so on, they all have a group of people who doesn't like them.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ryokinshin6x3
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts
If you think the GS review score is completely out of line, your fanboyism is in the way of understanding anything.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

A review is ONE persons opinion. No reason to CHANGE there opinion of the game. If they didnt enjoy it, they didnt enjoy it, simple as that.

The demo was pretty average imo. Ill rent the game later on, but RTS games on consoles just havnt been very good so far.

The company who made the game has made some fantastic games in the past (age of empires1-3 and age of mythology), but Halo Wars demo wasnt enjoyable at all.

Just judge the game for yourself man, so many reviews i dissagree with, so i dont pay them much attention at all.

Gamespot gave Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant, Mass Effect (360) and The Witcher (PC) below AAA status, and those are some of my fav games and rpgs this gen.

ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ryokinshin6x3
Biases aside there are grounds for a review not to be AAA even if the majority say the game is deserving. There were some areas in Mass Effect where the fps got unbearable and is a pretty big detractor. How much weight something like that has on the game review is up to the writer, but unless they outright lie in the review or have false information, there should be no questioning their reliability. What we think of the game does not automatically mean the game should be highly praised.
00Joseph00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 00Joseph00
Member since 2004 • 1578 Posts

GameSpot is supposed to reflect their opinions onto us when reviewing a game; not only telling us what their opinion of it was, but also predicting how WE would feel about the game after playing it. If they're here to tell us how they feel only, that's pretty shallow. Depth is professionalism. Their score is definitely supposed to support our opinion on the game.

In other words, I don't go onto GameSpot thinking "I wonder if Zelda: Twilight Princess is everything [GameSpot editor] wants in a game or hates in a game." I go on thinking at least "Will I like it if I play it? Does his opinion reflect how I would or could feel?"

To sum it up, GameSpot is guaranteeing 6.5 out of 10 on this product, Halo Wars. I guarantee you from the overall feelings on this game that 6.5 is a nincompoop's judgment of how everyone else feels about this product.

please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 please-help
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts
If you think the GS review score is completely out of line, your fanboyism is in the way of understanding anything.ryokinshin6x3
your a fanboy of gamespot. the review was slightly skewed because didn't appreciate the rts play.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ryokinshin6x3
[QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"]If you think the GS review score is completely out of line, your fanboyism is in the way of understanding anything.please-help
your a fanboy of gamespot. the review was slightly skewed because didn't appreciate the rts play.

Please don't embarrass yourself here, you have no idea how much weight I put on GS reviews and you all seem perfectly happy bashing them because it does not fall in line with what you want. Sad really.
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 please-help
[QUOTE="please-help"][QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"]If you think the GS review score is completely out of line, your fanboyism is in the way of understanding anything.ryokinshin6x3

Please don't embarrass yourself here, you have no idea how much weight I put on GS reviews and you all seem perfectly happy bashing them because it does not fall in line with what you want. Sad really.

aw, "sad really." man i hate comments like those- i have no idea nor do i care how heavily influenced you are by gamespot. they're are other places that give reviews that aren't so blind.
shaddix55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 shaddix55
Member since 2003 • 1242 Posts

6.5? Honestly? I would be willing to accept the concept of Halo Wars not living up to all the hype, but the demo I played was worthy of a higher score than that! Halo Wars does a great job at being a fun, immersive Halo-based RTS that's fast-paced and totally intuitive on the Xbox 360. I never knew an RTS could even be this easy with a controller. Yes, it sounds like the campaign is disappointingly short, and I can understand that knocking off about a star. But this reviewer seems to have compared the game ruthlessly to a PC RTS, complaining about, for example, the lack of ability to form control groups, though the game's intuitive group-forming selection achieved by pressing down on the D-pad is very easy to use. Also complaining about the lack of many diverse multiplayer modes shows a hardcore RTS player, while the game never claimed to be targetted towards such an audience. Also his gripe about the lack of Flood as a playable race is pure taste - personally I am glad they didn't, I think that would have been cheesy and badly balanced if they stayed close to the perception of the Flood as given in the Halo trilogy, and too radical of a re-imagining if they had been able to balance the Flood as a comparably diverse and controllable race.

Basically I'm asking for a more realistic, properly targetted review from Gamespot USA. What say you?

fionndruinne
No offense to gamespot at ALL. But half the reviews I read and then go ahead to try the games are totally off to what I experienced in the same game. I absolutely loved the Halo Wars demo and the extremely easy pick up and play control scheme. The story seemed awesome and online play is going to be a blast!
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
who cares about reviews? maybe user reviews, but i think its weird that gamespot trusts one guy to speak for all of them about the game. imo the best reviews sites are the ones with more than one guy (3 -5 is a good number) and have everyone in the staff put their word in and the score they give it.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ryokinshin6x3
[QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"][QUOTE="please-help"] your a fanboy of gamespot. the review was slightly skewed because didn't appreciate the rts play.please-help

aw, "sad really." man i hate comments like those- i have no idea nor do i care how heavily influenced you are by gamespot. they're are other places that give reviews that aren't so blind.

Blind in your case meaning as long as they don't give the games I like bad scores I'll stick by them. Averages are obviously something you couldn't understand considering your fine calling anyone who doesn't think GS sucks a fanboy. Sad really.

please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 please-help
[QUOTE="please-help"][QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"] Please don't embarrass yourself here, you have no idea how much weight I put on GS reviews and you all seem perfectly happy bashing them because it does not fall in line with what you want. Sad really.ryokinshin6x3

Blind in your case meaning as long as they don't give the games I like bad scores I'll stick by them. Averages are obviously something you couldn't understand considering your fine calling anyone who doesn't think GS sucks a fanboy. Sad really.

ugh, this has nothing to do with what i think every single game deserves, just that this obviously didn't deserve such a low score as judged by many and most other review outlets. I stand by a good and honest review, not one just to get people talking about it, you don't, you just wanna talk about it- about how right it is. Btw, what did you edit? did you throw in another "sad really" just to tick me off, ouch.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ryokinshin6x3

I think Halo Wars deserves much better then what Gamespot's review, does that mean Gamespot is completely out of line by giving it 6.5? No. Other reviews have also confirmed that this game is of quality, but it still does not say the 6.5 from this site is meaningless, that is what I'm saying. If the score was like 5.0, then we have a problem.

To the above, if anything you said even made remote sense to what we were talking about, it was lost in your own rambling.

please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 please-help
uh, well good then!
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 please-help
[QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"][QUOTE="please-help"] aw, "sad really." man i hate comments like those- i have no idea nor do i care how heavily influenced you are by gamespot. they're are other places that give reviews that aren't so blind.powlicious

haha, i dont know how stupid and narcisstic you are, but what your are writing is such a b*llsh*t :D

to judge a game for something it wanted never to be ist... stupid.

to review a game and call it "perfect"... is stupid.

to believe its the "way of a reviewer" to just post his opinion... is STUPID.

reviewers have to be neutral and objective. they have to find a balance for ALL kind of gamers. not just posting a freaky stupid review loser opinion oô most reviews didnt have the time to play a game at its fullest and they mostly are tired playing. not flexibal... not such open to new things like new gamers. and there are MANY new gamers out there.

and btw. i dislike gta iv. badest gta ever in my eyes. for me it was really boring. but it got a 10.0. 10 means... every gamer... independend of your favourite genre, its a suck-you-in-and-its-a-very-unique-experience-game...

got the point?

sorry, i can't read whatever it is you typed.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ryokinshin6x3
I'm just saying, just because 10 reviewers say a game is 9/10, and one says 7/10, it doesn't mean you discredit that 7/10. Oh and please-help, I apologize for any insult, at the very least you are capable of civilized talk unlike a lot of people on here.
powlicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 powlicious
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

guess i am just tired and my english is a little bad :> i am missing objectivity in reviews... and i see that most reviewers truly just post a selfopinion. and thats not their job. i got the feeling that the reviewer here was awaiting another kind of rts here and he didnt review the game for what it is.

it would be okay to just point it out...dont think its a high micromanagment game with much units... not to say. its not high micromanagment and simple so its bad. thats just a stupid review.

ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ryokinshin6x3
The problem is that people look at the number and go nuts. Inwhat you said for example, if an RTS does not have a good amount of units or unit count that is too high, that can be bad for the game.
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 please-help
[QUOTE="powlicious"]

guess i am just tired and my english is a little bad :> i am missing objectivity in reviews... and i see that most reviewers truly just post a selfopinion. and thats not their job. i got the feeling that the reviewer here was awaiting another kind of rts here and he didnt review the game for what it is.

it would be okay to just point it out...dont think its a high micromanagment game with much units... not to say. its not high micromanagment and simple so its bad. thats just a stupid review.

yeah, i get what you're saying.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ryokinshin6x3
MGS4 got 10/10, but no where in the review did the person say it is a perfect game, same goes for GTA4.
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 please-help
I'm just saying, just because 10 reviewers say a game is 9/10, and one says 7/10, it doesn't mean you discredit that 7/10. Oh and please-help, I apologize for any insult, at the very least you are capable of civilized talk unlike a lot of people on here.ryokinshin6x3
truce. we get what we're tying to say.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ryokinshin6x3
Now with Halo Wars, when he says a short single campaign and lack of multi features are not fantastic, that is true and obviously he put weight on that for his number score. Will that mean it is not a fantastic game in the end? OXM certainly thinks not. I actually don't understand any Wii game review, but that is something for another time.
MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts

If you think the GS review score is completely out of line, your fanboyism is in the way of understanding anything.ryokinshin6x3

Well most other sites have been rating it around the 8.0 range...

But what can you do, the reviewer didn't like it so he didn't give it a good score. Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ryokinshin6x3
Can you at least the latest posts in the thread?
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 please-help
Now with Halo Wars, when he says a short single campaign and lack of multi features are not fantastic, that is true and obviously he put weight on that for his number score. Will that mean it is not a fantastic game in the end? OXM certainly thinks not. I actually don't understand any Wii game review, but that is something for another time.ryokinshin6x3
heheh. yep, although i don't really go by OXM either for that darling franchise. but whatever it's not a bad game, not perfect, but a very decent rts in the end, at leat, I think decent. but it's whoever is playing that counts in the end.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ryokinshin6x3
I will end it with this. What is fun is not always good, but what is good will always be fun. I know this is a generalization, but you get what I mean.
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 please-help

[QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"]If you think the GS review score is completely out of line, your fanboyism is in the way of understanding anything.MrSlippery39

But what can you do, the reviewer didn't like it so he didn't give it a good score. Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

yeah, but that's the point, he didn't like it, so he injected a bad number in there without really giving more thought to it in a wider sense.
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ryokinshin6x3
[QUOTE="MrSlippery39"]

[QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"]If you think the GS review score is completely out of line, your fanboyism is in the way of understanding anything.please-help

yeah, but that's the point, he didn't like it, so he injected a bad number in there without really giving more thought to it in a wider sense.

Also remember just because most sites give it a certain score, does not mean a different score is wrong.
please-help

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 please-help
I will end it with this. What is fun is not always good, but what is good will always be fun.ryokinshin6x3
i think i'll end with you, but i'll end with this - what is bad will obviously be bad, but it at least should be looked at fairly first. haha, or something...
ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ryokinshin6x3
Reviewing creative media is a very complicated subject, it's anything but clear cut.
phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 phynixblack
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts

OH LORDY LORD!!!!

GOD FORBID THE REVIEWERS GIVE AN HONEST OPINION OF THEIRS ON A GAME...

No I'm just kidding. I'm no screamer troll. But seriously OP, no butthurtin over the review for christs sakes. If you loved this game more power to you broski.

I played the demo. It was a little simple for my tastes in RTS, I am used to doing more. BUT on a console, it met my expectations at the door, and along the tour managed to wow me. It was a GOOD RTS on a console. Something I once claimed impossible.

I hope they make a PC version (If there isn't one while I'm writing this at least. Forgot to check and I'm too lazy to multitab on my browser). But I will consider any PC version garbage UNLESS it is made more complex to meet the amount of extra abilities a PC opens up. For the console, it is perfect. But that type of simplicity is stupid for the PC when it comes to RTS, it would be like scraping on the smallest bit of potential off the idea.

ndf98765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ndf98765
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

Generally, I set quite a lot of store by Gamespot reviews, and to their credit, I've agreed with their scores in the main on most games I've bought.

I was really surprised to see such a low score for this game; past previews have implied that its simplicity is one of its strengths (in terms of control setup and playability on a console) and yet it seems to have been penalised for this now. I think the comments about a short campaign are well made and if that is indeed true, I won't be best pleased about shelling out for a short single-player experience and a weak multiplayer experience. I guess CoD4 with its equally short single-player experience scored points for having a much stronger multiplayer behind it....

I think marking the game down for being aimed at more casual RTS players is almost missing the point a little. Perhaps it was intended to be a little more accessible to HALO fans as FPS players, rather than HALO fans as hardcore RTS addicts. I've seen a few games try and be all things to all people, and fall flat, and I did suspect that Halo Wars would never be a 'hardcore RTS' experience. I just don't really personally agree with giving the game such a harsh demerit for being pitched at a more varied audience, than perhaps your 'Civillisation' or 'Command & Conquer' might be.

As for me, well, I'm not a massive RTS fan, largely due to the fact that I never seem to be very good at them, but for me, the fact that it's more simple than a traditional RTS, and geared towards a more casual experience, makes me want to play it even more, because that's part of the appeal. Like I said, for those reasons, I personally don't agree with the review score (although I can understand it, Ijust don't agree with it) but that said, I'm still going to pick this up.

ryokinshin6x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ryokinshin6x3
If it's not a shooter or western rpg, don't bother mentioning it to me(some exceptions). Thankfully I'm in charge of reviewing nothing. There is nothing wrong with a simpler game, as long as you don't make it dumb.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts

Its not the review that matters, its the player all the way, we are what matter to game developers, as long as we the players enjoyed the game, thats all they care about.

POWER TO THE PLAYERS!

mackey12345
Exactly
ras2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ras2009
Member since 2006 • 2772 Posts
They didn't give enough bad points for a 6.5 :/
dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#43 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts
Why do people get so hung up on the numbers? Would you be getting so worked up if GS just said it was a decent game, and gave it no score? Not a great game, or a very good one. But just a decent one, an OK one. A fair game. Thats what 6.5 means, that it's a decent enough game.
xsfseal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 xsfseal
Member since 2004 • 510 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB5r7AwwlWU

Same concept for the rest of you flaming fanboys.
mackey12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#45 mackey12345
Member since 2005 • 198 Posts
[QUOTE="please-help"][QUOTE="ryokinshin6x3"] Please don't embarrass yourself here, you have no idea how much weight I put on GS reviews and you all seem perfectly happy bashing them because it does not fall in line with what you want. Sad really.ryokinshin6x3

Dude, calm down, Gamespot was good... Till Jeff left, then all the reviews started to slowly bomb in quality and truthfulness, Giantbomb is alot better, and they have alot more fun whilst reviewing.

And remember now, Don't pay attention to Gamespot!

POWER TO THE PLAYERS.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Whatever I don't care. As long as you like a game it doesn't matter what score it gets.
darkhunter35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darkhunter35
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
You've got to understand this is gamespot that we're talking about, their reviews have gotten very bad over the past two years, i suggest if u want accurate reviews go to more reliable sites like ign.
XboxHore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XboxHore
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

its not bad most people are saying that because they are fans of halo.

player gave it a 9/10

Gigasmanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gigasmanic
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts
Whooo! Flamed boards, baby!! Ahem, anyway, I think the review is right. Don't get me wrong, it is a good game, but it is shallow. Ensemble also created Age of Empires, which were great games, but they didn't have much depth, which was also the reason Halo Wars got a 6.5. I rest my case.
Dea7htrap-101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dea7htrap-101
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts
Halo Wars recieved this review based on the RTS formula. The game is claimed to be an RTS. So they reviewed it as an RTS game. Its like trying to review a fighter-genre game thinking it is an RPG, they both have completely different elements, each unique to their own respective genres. Gamespot UK reviewed this game as an RTS, and therefore compared it to other great RTS's. It is lacking some serious depth from the RTS category. Only being able to build bases in select locations, and only being able to build a handful of buildings per base is definitely lacking depth. The game is also very shallow when it comes to units. Almost every unit on each side has the same, almost identical unit on the other side. (for example: spartans and honor gaurds, scorpion tanks and wraiths, vultures and scarabs, ect.) The game does not have unit stats, unit stances, waypoints, heck it barely even has resorces. For Ensemble studios to to make the claim that this is an RTS for the Xbox is a pretty bold one, with it lacking so much content. Its almost like they tried to merge two completely different games into one. They wanted the base and resorces aspect of so many games we know (starcraft, CaC, SupCom) but wanted the game focused more on units like WiC, although on both fronts it failed to a degree. Halo Wars is not a bad game, just could have been much better, thus the "disapointing" demerit it got. Hope this helps.