Gamespot are way to harsh on there review scores...

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 corb77
Member since 2003 • 464 Posts

Everytime i wont a new game i pop on gamespot and check out there scores, but i always think there well too harsh on most of there reviews....i've even avioded games because of there scores only to find out on a later date that the games good...

What do you guys think?

Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts
i've even avioded games because of there scores only to find out on a later date that the games goodcorb77
Of course, thats your problem. You have to be able to read between the lines of reviews and use them as a guide not a deterrant. Seeing a game get a 5.whatever isnt enough to stop me from trying a genre i know im interested in. Some of my favorite games have ratings of 7 or so.... it doesnt mean they arent entertaining.
corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 corb77

yer i agree, But i hate that they can point out bad parts of a game that you wouldnt of noticed if it wasnt for the review. dont you agree?

strobeshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 strobeshow
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

yer i agree, But i hate that they can point out bad parts of a game that you wouldnt of noticed if it wasnt for the review. dont you agree?

corb77
well, if they didnt they would just be reviewing a game like anyone could. they have to do it a little more 'professional'. also, i just usually look at the pros and cons or whatever.
BadBoy_Lo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BadBoy_Lo
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts
[QUOTE="corb77"]i've even avioded games because of there scores only to find out on a later date that the games goodWitchsight
Of course, thats your problem. You have to be able to read between the lines of reviews and use them as a guide not a deterrant. Seeing a game get a 5.whatever isnt enough to stop me from trying a genre i know im interested in. Some of my favorite games have ratings of 7 or so.... it doesnt mean they are entertaining.

precisely. relying on gamespot or whomever to supply you with justification for buy, let alone even trying a particular game is counter productive to your desire to play games in the first place. I understand the mentality, though and was victim to it myself pretty much forever. I woke up and smelled the napalm after reading their politically charged review for Army of 2 - a game i greatly enjoyed and, as an Army Veteran, took no offense from what-so-over. In the end it comes down to you - like ^^ said, use the reviews as guidelines and for insight into things you might not notice about the game.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

corb77

If anything, you should give props for a reviewer who's detailed, whether you agree with their opinions or not. I'd rather have a reviewer tell me what sucks in a game in detail rather than having a reviewer say that the game has "few minor flaws".

corb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 corb77

i Understand what your all saying but compared to most sites and mags that do reviews dont you think gamespot review everything abit lower than anyone else...there like the simon cowel of the gaming reviewers lol

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

i Understand what your all saying but compared to most sites and mags that do reviews dont you think gamespot review everything abit lower than anyone else...there like the simon cowel of the gaming reviewers lol

corb77

Not really, since sometimes the scores are the same, sometimes they're lower, and sometimes they're higher.

Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts

corb77
I do agree, but it all comes down to you as a gamer to check it out yourself. I really think that every game has some redeeming quality or entertainment value. I even had fun with Superman 64, and just try to find something positive about that review :?. But still, as gamers we can be VERY picky, and ask alot from games. Reviewers reflect that pretty strongly and it can sometimes come out as sounding like a negative review. I guess sometimes its just more controversial to dwell on the complaints.
Avatar image for thisisreallybor
thisisreallybor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thisisreallybor
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts
They aren't harsh enough. GTAIV got a perfect 10? Sure it's a huge, fun game, but perfects are given out light tootsie rolls. A perfect game needs to be something that captures your heart, not just plays really well and really long and is multiplatform. There is only one game I can possibly think of that deserves a perfect 10s (for its time). Ocarina of time.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts

corb77
Take a look at metacritic scores. Gamespot are usually about average in the scores they give.
kylekatarn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 kylekatarn08
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts
Yeah you can't depend on reviewers too much. I bought Lord of the Rings Conquest the day it came out and Gamespot only gave it a 6.5 and I really enjoyed that game. It all just comes down to your preferance.
TOC48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 TOC48
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts
that is why i come to Gamespot for reviews because (most of the time) if the game rates high it is a really good game. but yet they are a bit harsh on games. I have come to love games and they recieve like a 7, 6.5, so they tend to be more strict.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
no, i think in 08 they are kind of just to kind. i didn't think gta 4 should have gotten a 10. it should have gotten like a 9 or 9.5. u should read the review instead of just seeing the score, because i bought dark sector and that game got around a 7, i thought it should have gotten like a 8 or so.
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts
ive only noticed this with nintendo stuff
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
You shouldn't let reviewers make decisions for you whether a game gets a 1 or a 10. Its just some persons personal preference, you cant take it as the be all end all on how much you would enjoy a game.
TrueGamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TrueGamer2
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts
no, i think in 08 they are kind of just to kind. i didn't think gta 4 should have gotten a 10. it should have gotten like a 9 or 9.5. u should read the review instead of just seeing the score, because i bought dark sector and that game got around a 7, i thought it should have gotten like a 8 or so. iam2green
yea i agree dark sector should of atleast got an 8.
SirTheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SirTheory
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts
People like numerical scores... but really, a numerical score suggests that there is one perfect standard that everyone is going to like. That is quite simply not realistic. Which is why it is perfectly a-ok to ignore a numerical value. A good review, regardless of the numerical value, will explain the game in such a way that it'll give the reader an idea what to expect. That way they can judge for themselves if it is a game they're interested in. Example: I love Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, which everone else seems to hate fervently. If I went by the score I'd have never played it.
Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#19 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts
Not really, to me, I think A LOT of their scores are just about right... I mean if you are not a fan of a game, and you just look at it as any other game.. then the scores they give games scores alot of times.. that are a little too high... but they base it off of alot of player scores, I THINK
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dredg11
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
Don't let reviews from websites influence your decision. Most of the time they're way off. Get recommendation from gamers who share your taste in games, or friends. I can make up my mind as to whether or not I want a game usually by seeing a few gameplay videos, and having an idea of what the controls are like.
Avatar image for cartman19191918
cartman19191918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cartman19191918
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts

Have you noticed they haven't given out an uneven score in a long time? like, i can't remember the last time they did. For example, they only give out .5's or .0's, (eg. the current 360 top 10 by rating is

GTA4 - 10.0

Braid- 9.5

Gears 2- 9.0

Fallout 3- 9.0

Dead Space- 9.0

NHL 09- 9.0

Geometry Wars 2- 9.0

Civilization Revolutionized- 9.0

Super Street Fighter 2- 8.5

Left 4 Dead- 8.5

They haven't given a game a 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, 8.9, etc.

it's either they don't see the point, or they've just gotten lazy when it comes to really comes down to what the game is all about, grinding it down to the bits and pieces to get an accurate score, they're just slapping scores on new games.

-Coco22-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Coco22-
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Yeah I've seen this in a few games on the Wii and xbox360. Especially Army of 2 getting 6.5? Ha funny.
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dredg11
Yeah I've seen this in a few games on the Wii and xbox360. Especially Army of 2 getting 6.5? Ha funny.-Coco22-
Army of Two was absolutely terrible. It was lucky to get away with a 6.5.
-Coco22-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Coco22-
Okaay Derdg never want to hear that again.
Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dredg11
Okaay Derdg never want to hear that again.-Coco22-
Army of Two was absolutely terrible. Simply terrible.
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
Gamespot is a trusted review site for me, but not the only one. It is good to check out the user reviews to get a better insight into the game and how it plays for those who have it. When in doubt check around more and ask your friends or people who you might know to see what their reaction was to the game.
MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#27 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts
The only harsh thing Gamespot ever did was fire poor Jeff.......anyway, i think its a pretty fair system but I dont agree with alot of the 10s. The only ones I agree worthy of 10s are OoT and MGS4, and thats saying something considering I only played MGS4 for about 10 minutes....I guess each minute was perfect.Ayoooo.
-Coco22-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Coco22-
Dred why didn't you like Army of 2? No friends to play it with? Or what.
LadyFreyja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LadyFreyja
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts

I wouldn't worry to much about the scores. I get the feeling there isn't a scientific method to choosing weather a game gets a 6 or a 7, it seems more like a 'this game feels like a 7'. So yeah, it's going to be subjective.

I think the most helpful thing to do when your deciding if you want to try out a game is read a bunch of different reviews, both professional and user reviews, and ignore the score. Then figure out if it's something that appeals to you as a gamer.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
keep in mind that originality plays a pretty big role in how reviewers score the game... if a game hardly does anything new to revitalize the genre, then it's only fair to subtract some points for just recreating the standard.
Draylorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31 Draylorn
Member since 2003 • 146 Posts

The only part of any of this that disgusts me is that there are so many people I've talked to who base their game purchases solely on Gamespot's reviews. They miss out on so much, and some really deserving titles have their sales affected by this.

And always remember, folks, that "7" still says "good" under it.

trw534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 trw534
Member since 2007 • 680 Posts
yea they kinda do
BadBoy_Lo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BadBoy_Lo
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts
Dred why didn't you like Army of 2? No friends to play it with? Or what.-Coco22-
lol. he wrote the review. that's cool if he didnt like it though...i thought it was pretty damn good, but hey. that's the whole over-arching point of this discussion. that dood hated the game and thought the numerical score for it was too high. i disagree and think he is smoking dope. but i still played the game despite the score. see the point, guys? dont get caught up in it all and dont be afraid to try something just bc Gamespot doesnt like it!!!
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
I think they are way too generous, for instance, they'll call a game bad, generic, boring, then give it a score of 7.0 (good) or 6.5 (fair)? If a game is bad, generic, boring, it should be a 3.0 (bad) or 2.0 (abysmal), not a score of good or fair. I also find they hand out way too many GREAT scores of 8.0-8.5, it's almost rare to see a big title get below that, but, if it means GREAT, and the game is not GREAT, why score it as GREAT?
david0495

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 david0495
Member since 2003 • 363 Posts
thats why i look at user score because the people know what i want! not gamespot!
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
Gamespot is far from harsh concerning their review scores. Besides, as others have already said, it's better to buy a mediocre rated game from a genre you enjoy than buying one with excellent scores from a genre you don't like at all. You have to know how to interpret the review scores. If I see a game like N3 for example which is slightly below a 6.0 I know that I'll probably enjoy it nevertheless. Don't forget that reviews, while still trying to be objective, are also always written by an individual...
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts

Have you noticed they haven't given out an uneven score in a long time? like, i can't remember the last time they did. For example, they only give out .5's or .0's, (eg. the current 360 top 10 by rating is

GTA4 - 10.0

Braid- 9.5

Gears 2- 9.0

Fallout 3- 9.0

Dead Space- 9.0

NHL 09- 9.0

Geometry Wars 2- 9.0

Left 4 Dead- 8.5

it's either they don't see the point, or they've just gotten lazy when it comes to really comes down to what the game is all about, grinding it down to the bits and pieces to get an accurate score, they're just slapping scores on new games.

cartman19191918
You do realize that they've changed the increments in which games are rated to 0.5 a long time ago?
team-mazda3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 team-mazda3
Member since 2005 • 38 Posts

Hi .

yes some times they underate games and some times the opposite , like Midnight Club they gave it 7.5 !!! , and every one who played the game say its really a good game , and GTA IV its good , but im not sure about 10 !!! maybe 9.5 , dont get me wrong I play the game more than any other game , but I must say its overated , and about harsh rating , its ok to me because you will know when this is a good game or not , but some times you get like the problem i said before .

Avatar image for cartman19191918
cartman19191918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cartman19191918
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts
[QUOTE="cartman19191918"]

GTA4 - 10.0

Braid- 9.5

Gears 2- 9.0

Fallout 3- 9.0

Dead Space- 9.0

NHL 09- 9.0

Geometry Wars 2- 9.0

Left 4 Dead- 8.5

guthwulf_de

You do realize that they've changed the increments in which games are rated to 0.5 a long time ago?

oh man, you're right too, hahaha, must've missed out on that headline haha >> http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/25721552/gamespot-revamping-reviews-june-25.html

jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts

Everytime i wont a new game i pop on gamespot and check out there scores, but i always think there well too harsh on most of there reviews....i've even avioded games because of there scores only to find out on a later date that the games good...

What do you guys think?

corb77

No I think they're a pretty good. I don't always fully agree with them but they're a pretty good guide.

And for your info:

There = "Go on the website, the reviews are on there"

Their = "This is their review"

They're = "they're too harsh"

I know they all sound the same but really they're 3 different words with different spellings and meanings.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#41 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts

What do you guys think?

corb77
Use Metacritic instead of trusting just one site; that way you get a more big picture image and can see a pattern. Otherwise you may get screwed into buying an average game or miss out on a fantastic one.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I personally think the gaming industry is amazingly weak on their review scores, GS included. I mean they could take rankings 5-10 and make it 0-5 stars and get just as good of rating system. And the 0-4.9's would get the rightful ranking of 0 stars that they should. Even metacritic takes the gaming industries lack of ability to criticize itself into effect, basically making a 'yellow' ranked game (warning) at 74%. But I think the biggest offense in the whole game ranking thing though is the consumers attempt to rank all games and genres evenly instead of realizing a 7.5 in a genre you enjoy is probably better than a 9.5 in a genre you can't stand. Just my two bits though.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
I don't think they're harsh at all. I actually think that most people misinterpret their generosity as harshness on GameSpot's part. A score of 7.0, for example, means the game was good. That's a good score. However, many people don't find 7's to be all that good, and think 8 is good, 9 is great and 10 is just super.
Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

yadda yadda yadda, this and that, blah blah blah. All these opinions, well here's mine.

You're completely correct. They are HORRIBLE at reviewing games on occassion. They'll deduct points from developers they dont like and add points for certain companies and advertisers. Terribly UNprofessional IMO.

As bad as I rate their ratings, I hold the user's average rating highly. IMO the user's average rating are 100% spot on with every single game I have seen. Some game's are not to my liking but I can appreciate that they are very popular to others so while my ratings may differ to you and yours, it all averages out since any bias is negated... either way.

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#45 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
It's there opinion not yours.
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
yea i thought 8.5 was fair for Call of Duty W@W but once i played it for myself i think it deserved a little higher.
highvoltage32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 highvoltage32
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts
Reviews are just helpful quidelines in order to assist the average person to buy a game they may enjoy. There are going to be instances when someone sees a score they strongly disagree with because they are attached to that specific game. But whether one agrees with a review or not they could always get a second opinion, which is way gamespot displays the critic score.
Iqen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 Iqen
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
Not really. Gamespot, in my opinion, is definetly not harsh. Most of the time, they review the game just right. The thing is, I don't just decide on the score whether the game is worth playing or not. I read the full review, then I notice the pros and cons of the game.
They aren't harsh enough. GTAIV got a perfect 10? Sure it's a huge, fun game, but perfects are given out light tootsie rolls. A perfect game needs to be something that captures your heart, not just plays really well and really long and is multiplatform. There is only one game I can possibly think of that deserves a perfect 10s (for its time). Ocarina of time. thisisreallybor
That, I couldn't have put better myself.
lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
I kind of like the fact that they are a bit harsh. It makes it easier to find out the pros and cons in games.
bunnyman14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bunnyman14
Member since 2005 • 605 Posts

I blame their 1-10-o-meter; it's too many numbers. Sometimes bad games get 6-7's, but so do decent ones. The 4-7 area is too broad; some viewers see "7" as good, while others see it as bad. This also applies to the Gamespot staff, they just don't know what to do with the numbers, which should tell something about the "new" members.

I kind of don't care for ratings now. I look at old game's reviews for reference, but I can make an educated guess on a recent game's "goodness."