fallout 3: how long to get to the good part?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uberpunage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 uberpunage101
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

[QUOTE="nottu"]dude im 20 yrs old. anyone that plays a game for 20mins and quits because its boring, TBH shouldnt be playing video games. If thats the way that the OP looks at video games then their demographic of games is severely limited. that to me is pathetic. Thus why would i try being helpful and encourage this person to play a game that they are too impatient to actually enjoy the masterpiece before them?Jeff_Boldt

fallout 3... a masterpiece? haha. thats more of a sad laugh, just so you know. Please consider that fallout 3 has the worst, lamest ending of almost any game i've ever played, also consider the broken mechanics of NPC interaction where-in if you steal from 1 person and get caught, the entire town will come after you, people will literally wake up and randomly know that you've stolen and are now an enemy, until you leave the town and suddenly everyone forgets. Also consider the horrible AI of ally NPC characters, the fact that your alignment affects little more than which NPC allies will join you, the broken physics engine, the half-arsed enemy character design... the list goes on and on and on and on with whats wrong with this game, these complaints dont stop it from being a pretty awesome game, but calling it a masterpiece flows in the same vein as comparing a buskers characature of your sister to the mona lisa. I figured out your problem nottu, you're a fanboy, you're so blindly in love with this game that if someone comments in a negative manner towards it then you feel it deeply and personally. this isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just need to realize that you are in fact a f3 fanboy and subsequently need to control yourself around the normals.

After almost two years of 'When does this game get good? I'm in the vault and it's too slow!' and other questions all clearly showing that people tend to think that Fallout 3 is yet another FPS game, it's easy to become somewhat annoyed.

It's an RPG with FPS elements, it makes me wonder if the publishers should have slapped that on the box in neon lights with the added 'It is not an FPS game!'. Though I doubt that would have helped either.
The game is designed to be slow going, it pushes the player to think for themselves instead of relying on a constant hand holding element that so many other games do.

It requires patience, not to go running in, guns blazing and expecting to complete the game within a few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the same way with New Vegas, the same questions, the same complaints and the same answers.
So it's no wonder snide, annoyed remarks will appear.Smokescreened84

whats funny is how incorrect -everything- you've said here is. Fallot 3 is not an Fps, correct, however it's also not an RPG with FPS elements. F3 plays as a bridge between the two genres, no more emphasis on one than the other, the game is not designed at all to be slow going, you can in fact run and gun through the whole campaign and complete the game fairly quickly. Fallout 3 is about choice, it lets FPS players have an FPS experiance, and it lets RPG players have an rpg experience, its about choice, there is no way to play this game incorrectly and to imply that there is is basically to poop on the vision bethesda had with this title. If they wanted to make a hardcore rpg for rpg fans, you would've never seen a first person sandbox, it would've been far more reminiscent of the earlier fallot titles and far less accessible, the fact that people who wouldnt traditionally pick up an RPG are in fact picking up fallout 3 is an immense step in terms of the genre, and guess what attracting non-traditional users does? it causes a decent amount of uncertainty and questions from the new market, want to see more and better fallout games in the future? then instead of being completely rude and elitist toward the new folks, answer their questions and try to be... oh I dunno, a human being?

*Claps* Congratulations on writing so much, but not saying anything! BTW, fanboys tend to write immense, boring, walls of text about games that they are fanboys for.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

It takes ages and you spend hours conserving ammo and trying to fix your gun. Then, as its just starting to get good. the game ends and [spoiler] you die and lose everything [/spoiler]

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#53 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

No, the game ends when you want it to end. The whole point of this game is not to finish it asap but tp create an image of yourself into the Wasteland..

pablohammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 pablohammy
Member since 2009 • 488 Posts

I loved the begining. Also you dont have to just do the story. Ive been playing alittle bit again and i walked from vault 87 to get a bonnet at tenpanny towers.

nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts

[QUOTE="nottu"]dude im 20 yrs old. anyone that plays a game for 20mins and quits because its boring, TBH shouldnt be playing video games. If thats the way that the OP looks at video games then their demographic of games is severely limited. that to me is pathetic. Thus why would i try being helpful and encourage this person to play a game that they are too impatient to actually enjoy the masterpiece before them?Jeff_Boldt

fallout 3... a masterpiece? haha. thats more of a sad laugh, just so you know. Please consider that fallout 3 has the worst, lamest ending of almost any game i've ever played, also consider the broken mechanics of NPC interaction where-in if you steal from 1 person and get caught, the entire town will come after you, people will literally wake up and randomly know that you've stolen and are now an enemy, until you leave the town and suddenly everyone forgets. Also consider the horrible AI of ally NPC characters, the fact that your alignment affects little more than which NPC allies will join you, the broken physics engine, the half-arsed enemy character design... the list goes on and on and on and on with whats wrong with this game, these complaints dont stop it from being a pretty awesome game, but calling it a masterpiece flows in the same vein as comparing a buskers characature of your sister to the mona lisa. I figured out your problem nottu, you're a fanboy, you're so blindly in love with this game that if someone comments in a negative manner towards it then you feel it deeply and personally. this isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just need to realize that you are in fact a f3 fanboy and subsequently need to control yourself around the normals.

After almost two years of 'When does this game get good? I'm in the vault and it's too slow!' and other questions all clearly showing that people tend to think that Fallout 3 is yet another FPS game, it's easy to become somewhat annoyed.

It's an RPG with FPS elements, it makes me wonder if the publishers should have slapped that on the box in neon lights with the added 'It is not an FPS game!'. Though I doubt that would have helped either.
The game is designed to be slow going, it pushes the player to think for themselves instead of relying on a constant hand holding element that so many other games do.

It requires patience, not to go running in, guns blazing and expecting to complete the game within a few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the same way with New Vegas, the same questions, the same complaints and the same answers.
So it's no wonder snide, annoyed remarks will appear.Smokescreened84

whats funny is how incorrect -everything- you've said here is. Fallot 3 is not an Fps, correct, however it's also not an RPG with FPS elements. F3 plays as a bridge between the two genres, no more emphasis on one than the other, the game is not designed at all to be slow going, you can in fact run and gun through the whole campaign and complete the game fairly quickly. Fallout 3 is about choice, it lets FPS players have an FPS experiance, and it lets RPG players have an rpg experience, its about choice, there is no way to play this game incorrectly and to imply that there is is basically to poop on the vision bethesda had with this title. If they wanted to make a hardcore rpg for rpg fans, you would've never seen a first person sandbox, it would've been far more reminiscent of the earlier fallot titles and far less accessible, the fact that people who wouldnt traditionally pick up an RPG are in fact picking up fallout 3 is an immense step in terms of the genre, and guess what attracting non-traditional users does? it causes a decent amount of uncertainty and questions from the new market, want to see more and better fallout games in the future? then instead of being completely rude and elitist toward the new folks, answer their questions and try to be... oh I dunno, a human being?

ok so i probly shouldnt have used masterpiece, I know the game has some faults, but that doesnt mean its not a great game and TBH one of the best games to release this gen. The only game this gen that i've been able to get more then 50hrs out of. What games do you consider masterpieces?

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

[QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]

For the op: How many RPG's have you played? .

parkour-rulz

2 so far world of warcraft ME2 thats about it. doesnt necessarily mean i dont like rpgs its only fallout 3 which i had a few problems with. with WoW i had all the patience in the world not to mention ME2 which i was totally lost in the beginning but now understand quite well. i took time with things and decided and in the ned i went..... renegade......yeah no regrets there...(but i kept another save with paragon)

I see, not a lot of RPG's then, it explains why you got bored of Fallout 3 so quickly. Well Fallout 3 is nothing like them, while ME2 is more of a shooter than an RPG a lot of the time and WoW is a fairly shallow RPG, Fallout 3 is somewhat deeper.
Try it again if you want to, but don't approach the game like those two. It can take some time to get into at first, but with patience and learning the basics you'll eventually adapt to the way it plays.

Fallout 3 has the kind of open world WoW does, but doesn't feel so dry like that game.

Though by the sounds of things you're still very much a beginner to the RPG genre so maybe you should give Fable 2 a try, that's a pretty good 'My First RPG' kind of game and should help you learn the basics.

Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Smokescreened84

Remember that he's clearly quite young, not put towards the op, many young ones are usually arrogant and think they know everything. Until reality gives them a kick up the backside and shows them that for all they know, they still know nothing at all.

Anyway, back on topic. Though it's pretty much been answered.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#59 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Fallout 3 is the kind of RPG that you do not need to get bored in order to get better. The idea is plain and simple: create a huge world that the player can explore as much as he/she wants to get better. For me this is genious...Tell me, how many times you are dreading the idea of grinding at the same place to get better? This is no bashing towards the JRPGS (i love FF series, dont get me wrong), but i have reached the point where i get pissed off at reaching the level cap in F3 simply because i want more and more out of the world. Now i have to say, i dread the time when i have to grind my character just so i am able to beat Bizzaro Sephiroth for example.You can't deny that this idea alone makes the game close to a great RPG.

graz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 graz2
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'm an (ahem) older gamer and I'm new to the xbox360 and this site, I felt compelled to comment on this thread in partial support of the original poster. I found the Vault section of Fallout 3 eyewateringly dull but persevered because as many of you have said its ridiculous not to give a game a decent go. To be honest though I didn't enjoy it once I got outside either. I appreciate maybe it needs a good few hours of playing time to really get into it but I'm playing Fable II at the mo which is similarly involving but grabs you alot quicker. Off topic, the guy who said Dead Space is brilliant is right, anyone not persevering with that really does have no patience because it gets going pretty quickly. Hello everyone BTW!
Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts
Not gonna dignify chaoscougar1's post with any kind of real retort. Uberpunage; I know werdz iz hard 2 reedz, but maybe next time you should try. Nottu: I agree dude, it's definately up there, so far the only games I can think of off hand that I would say were really masterfully done would be Assassins Creed 1 and 2, still a bunch of flaws but I feel like the flaws in those games detracted a bit less from the overall experiance. Oh I'd probably put red dead in this category as well. I know, no rpg's, but I don't think a masterpiece of an rpg has been released for 360 as of yet. cclbiah: you need to be constantly reminded to breath, don't you? smokescreened: if the 84 in your name is the year of your birth, your about 1 year older than me. I don't consider myself to always be right, only when I'm conversing with the type of people who've been crawling out from under their rocks to make ignorant statements in this thread. graz2: Hello! Welcome!
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#62 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="Jeff_Boldt"]Not gonna dignify chaoscougar1's post with any kind of real retort.

doesnt need to be dignified, it speaks for itself and so do your responses... i mean in your first post you called everyone a 'snide little ******* who would rather criticise' and yet all you seem to have done is the exact same to other members and to a worse extent. Try and justify it however you may but the fact is you have been just as rude as the people you are criticising, well done
agentdandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 agentdandb
Member since 2006 • 5891 Posts

Ive heard that fallout 3 is an amazing game so i borrowed it from my friend around a month ago to try it out. I got to the part where you get a bb gun and after that I couldn't take the boredom anymore so I gave it back to my friend (im impatient I know). Im thinking of giving it another chance and I would like to know how many hours I need to play to get to the good part.

parkour-rulz
It gets to the good part once the title screen starts up.
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Smokescreened84

Not gonna dignify chaoscougar1's post with any kind of real retort. Uberpunage; I know werdz iz hard 2 reedz, but maybe next time you should try. Nottu: I agree dude, it's definately up there, so far the only games I can think of off hand that I would say were really masterfully done would be Assassins Creed 1 and 2, still a bunch of flaws but I feel like the flaws in those games detracted a bit less from the overall experiance. Oh I'd probably put red dead in this category as well. I know, no rpg's, but I don't think a masterpiece of an rpg has been released for 360 as of yet. cclbiah: you need to be constantly reminded to breath, don't you? smokescreened: if the 84 in your name is the year of your birth, your about 1 year older than me. I don't consider myself to always be right, only when I'm conversing with the type of people who've been crawling out from under their rocks to make ignorant statements in this thread. graz2: Hello! Welcome!Jeff_Boldt

Actually I was born in 1979, the 1984 is a mark of two things - The first Transformer I got called Smokescreen and a personal event in my life at the age of 5 which caused additional misery to my life and I spent years trying to hide it, smokescreening it as it were, due to the old saying 'A child shouldbe seen, not heard'.

Old blogs in my profile as well as a blog which explains who I am pretty much explains it all.

Anyway, back on topic, Fallout 3 is a game which tends to require a great deal of patience from the player, so if the player has no or very limited RPG experience, then it can be overwhelming at first and can seem very slow paced at the beginning.
With time, patience and not rushing things, the way the game flows is understood.

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#65 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Longshot"]

lolsauce. ADD much?! Try reading a book sometime maybe it will increase your attention span, if not there is no hope for you child.

F'in kids these days I swear, don't appreciate s#@!.

IzzieWaru

Yes, not being drawn into a game clearly has a direct correlation to maturity.

Yes, yes it does, and let me guess, the op most likely enjoys halo and yugi-oh cards as well. AKA not a mature gamer, which is who the intended audience is for the game. Someone with a thought process outside the attention span of 5 minutes aka a mature gamer would be able to handle a few minute introduction to the mechanics of the game and make a more calculated reasoning before passing it off as boring and wanting something with more action in it.

Patience is a virtue. Mostly learned in time, and coming with age.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#66 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="IzzieWaru"]

[QUOTE="The-Longshot"]

lolsauce. ADD much?! Try reading a book sometime maybe it will increase your attention span, if not there is no hope for you child.

F'in kids these days I swear, don't appreciate s#@!.

The-Longshot

Yes, yes it does, and let me guess, the op most likely enjoys halo and yugi-oh cards as well. AKA not a mature gamer, which is who the intended audience is for the game. Someone with a thought process outside the attention span of 5 minutes aka a mature gamer would be able to handle a few minute introduction to the mechanics of the game and make a more calculated reasoning before passing it off as boring and wanting something with more action in it.

now you are using their other hobbies (if that is even one) to judge their age/maturity, you are making up theories to support your argument...
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#67 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

As soon as I got out of the vault the game picked up a bit for me.

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#68 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Longshot"]

[QUOTE="IzzieWaru"]

chaoscougar1

now you are using their other hobbies (if that is even one) to judge their age/maturity, you are making up theories to support your argument...

Yes I am, however I make up nothing. I'm making comparisons and associations, and honestly can you really disagree with my conclusion? I speak Truth, thats right, with a capitol T.

Don't argue just for the sake of argument, argue to prove one point is more valid then another, and provide evidence to back it up. That is the basis of a good debate.

Also don't take it personally, these are my opinions and you are free to disagree.

jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

i honestly didnt have any fun throughout my entire first playthrough. but the second one i had a blast since i new how to play it to a full extent. knew how to manage my stats, and relised that just buying crap gets you no where. equal trading is the only way to get major profit in that game