fallout 3: how long to get to the good part?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

parkour-rulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 parkour-rulz
Member since 2009 • 140 Posts

Ive heard that fallout 3 is an amazing game so i borrowed it from my friend around a month ago to try it out. I got to the part where you get a bb gun and after that I couldn't take the boredom anymore so I gave it back to my friend (im impatient I know). Im thinking of giving it another chance and I would like to know how many hours I need to play to get to the good part.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The game picks up speed once you exit the vault. This shouldn't take more than an hour.
Blu_Falcon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Blu_Falcon37
Member since 2006 • 4041 Posts

So... You basically played the game for 10 minutes? Get the game back and actually play it for more then 10 minutes.

PatChampsXXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PatChampsXXXVI
Member since 2005 • 392 Posts
20ish until it gets good. an hour or two until its amazin
gc88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gc88
Member since 2009 • 713 Posts

dude you played the game for 20minutes and said it was boring?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#6 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I don't think it ever got any better than decent but how do you get bored after 5 minutes
kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 kipohippo021
Member since 2010 • 3895 Posts
You didnt even finish the intro dude... The bb gun was teaching you the mechanics of shooting and v.a.t.s. you were 2/3 of the way to the good part. So close dude.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
you didnt even finish the tutorial and you dont think its a good game? i dont think you deserve to play it again
SWIFFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SWIFFT
Member since 2003 • 764 Posts
you prob wont like this game. the start of fallout 3 is really creative and an awesome setup to an rpg. If you couldn't take 20 min of it then your chances of enjoying the rest are minimal. There are other parts in fallout 3 that are just like the start (awesome!).
Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

Finish the tutorial, exit the Vault and start exploring the huge, varied, open world out there. The first moment you exit you vault, you'll realise why this game has received so many awards.

nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts

You should consult a doctor about your ADD :P

uberpunage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uberpunage101
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

It gets awesome as soon as you leave the Vault. I think if you went fast you could get it done in like 30 minutes.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
When you get out.
kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 kipohippo021
Member since 2010 • 3895 Posts

nottu
yeah, not only that. but the begening is one of the most awesome tutorials ive seen in a game.
I_am_theOpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 I_am_theOpus
Member since 2009 • 768 Posts

The beginning is the best part of any game if you ask me. It always feels new and fresh, you should definitely give it another go.

cclbiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cclbiah
Member since 2003 • 902 Posts

dude, if your that impatient, dont even bother getting the game again...stick to your brainless, flashy, other games and leave the great games for us.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

The great thing about life is that we all like different things.. perhaps this particular sand box title is'nt for you as it can be a required taste.. Personally I thought the game was great, but it did take me quite a few hours to get hooked, as it was my first sandbox F.P title I'de played.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UT_Wrestler
You should at LEAST finish the tutorial before you call it a boring game. The BB gun part is just meant to teach you the VATS mechanics.
Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

nottu

haha nice

AluRev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AluRev
Member since 2010 • 172 Posts
I really enjoyed the tutorial, thought it was different and fresh. If that bored you, don't bother playing the game.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Bored at the tutorial? Wow, no wonder FPS games are so popular, they don't require the kind of patience Fallout 3 does.

Try the game again and be patient, learn the basics and once you get into the wastelands, then it might be a case of "Oh my..." It's quite something the first time, still is multiple times. And yes, once you get out into the wastelands, you can explore ALL of it, there's no hand holding once you leave the vault.

And whatever you do, don't play Fallout 3 like you would an FPS, you'll only be killed fast. It's an RPG with FPS and TPS elements. Not an FPS.

Avatar image for BritishInternet
BritishInternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BritishInternet
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts

Never its a crap game

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

You must miss out on a lot of RPGs then because I can think of a LOT that start off slow but within an hour or two they pickup. Once I exited the vault and started exploring I just couldn't get enough of the game.

nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts

within half an hour of leaving the vault your presented a choice to nuke a town or save it, Trust me it's worth plodding through the vault. On the contrary to what a lot of these less than helpful children have been saying, the vault is an immensely boring place that only serves to teach you the mechanics of the game and force feed you a bit of background information. Also the level design of the vault is -supposed- to give you that claustrophobic "oh my god get me the hell out of here" feeling so that when you first step outside and are standing on the hillside overlooking megaton and a vast stretch of wasteland you can almost feel the sun shine burning your eyes and the cool wind on your skin. It's supposed to be frustrating inside the vault so that it's that much more rewarding when you leave.

Can you kids seriously grow up a bit? why not try helping people and answering there questions rather than being snide little douchebags who would rather critiscize only because you don't have the mental capacities to formulate logical, helpful statements.... I bet a good number of you who fit into this category in this topic are older than me too... pathetic.

Jeff_Boldt

dude im 20 yrs old. anyone that plays a game for 20mins and quits because its boring, TBH shouldnt be playing video games. If thats the way that the OP looks at video games then their demographic of games is severely limited. that to me is pathetic. Thus why would i try being helpful and encourage this person to play a game that they are too impatient to actually enjoy the masterpiece before them?

Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Smokescreened84

After almost two years of 'When does this game get good? I'm in the vault and it's too slow!' and other questions all clearly showing that people tend to think that Fallout 3 is yet another FPS game, it's easy to become somewhat annoyed.

It's an RPG with FPS elements, it makes me wonder if the publishers should have slapped that on the box in neon lights with the added 'It is not an FPS game!'. Though I doubt that would have helped either.
The game is designed to be slow going, it pushes the player to think for themselves instead of relying on a constant hand holding element that so many other games do.

It requires patience, not to go running in, guns blazing and expecting to complete the game within a few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the same way with New Vegas, the same questions, the same complaints and the same answers.
So it's no wonder snide, annoyed remarks will appear.

And I'm in my early thirties, usually I don't let my anger out, but I've seen this same thing a lot and always given the same answer - Try again, be patient and don't rush the game.
After a while of that I can't help wondering if the game's case needs a big sign in neon lights saying 'THIS IS NOT AN FPS, THIS IS AN RPG, THIS GAME REQUIRES PATIENCE' With a loud booming voice added.

zepfya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zepfya
Member since 2003 • 1209 Posts
Fallout 3 is one of the most boring games i ever played.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UT_Wrestler

Never its a crap game

BritishInternet
Right....... if it isn't called Halo, or doesn't play exactly like Halo, then it must be crap by default.
Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts

dude im 20 yrs old. anyone that plays a game for 20mins and quits because its boring, TBH shouldnt be playing video games. If thats the way that the OP looks at video games then their demographic of games is severely limited. that to me is pathetic. Thus why would i try being helpful and encourage this person to play a game that they are too impatient to actually enjoy the masterpiece before them?nottu

fallout 3... a masterpiece? haha. thats more of a sad laugh, just so you know. Please consider that fallout 3 has the worst, lamest ending of almost any game i've ever played, also consider the broken mechanics of NPC interaction where-in if you steal from 1 person and get caught, the entire town will come after you, people will literally wake up and randomly know that you've stolen and are now an enemy, until you leave the town and suddenly everyone forgets. Also consider the horrible AI of ally NPC characters, the fact that your alignment affects little more than which NPC allies will join you, the broken physics engine, the half-arsed enemy character design... the list goes on and on and on and on with whats wrong with this game, these complaints dont stop it from being a pretty awesome game, but calling it a masterpiece flows in the same vein as comparing a buskers characature of your sister to the mona lisa. I figured out your problem nottu, you're a fanboy, you're so blindly in love with this game that if someone comments in a negative manner towards it then you feel it deeply and personally. this isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just need to realize that you are in fact a f3 fanboy and subsequently need to control yourself around the normals.

After almost two years of 'When does this game get good? I'm in the vault and it's too slow!' and other questions all clearly showing that people tend to think that Fallout 3 is yet another FPS game, it's easy to become somewhat annoyed.

It's an RPG with FPS elements, it makes me wonder if the publishers should have slapped that on the box in neon lights with the added 'It is not an FPS game!'. Though I doubt that would have helped either.
The game is designed to be slow going, it pushes the player to think for themselves instead of relying on a constant hand holding element that so many other games do.

It requires patience, not to go running in, guns blazing and expecting to complete the game within a few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the same way with New Vegas, the same questions, the same complaints and the same answers.
So it's no wonder snide, annoyed remarks will appear.Smokescreened84

whats funny is how incorrect -everything- you've said here is. Fallot 3 is not an Fps, correct, however it's also not an RPG with FPS elements. F3 plays as a bridge between the two genres, no more emphasis on one than the other, the game is not designed at all to be slow going, you can in fact run and gun through the whole campaign and complete the game fairly quickly. Fallout 3 is about choice, it lets FPS players have an FPS experiance, and it lets RPG players have an rpg experience, its about choice, there is no way to play this game incorrectly and to imply that there is is basically to poop on the vision bethesda had with this title. If they wanted to make a hardcore rpg for rpg fans, you would've never seen a first person sandbox, it would've been far more reminiscent of the earlier fallot titles and far less accessible, the fact that people who wouldnt traditionally pick up an RPG are in fact picking up fallout 3 is an immense step in terms of the genre, and guess what attracting non-traditional users does? it causes a decent amount of uncertainty and questions from the new market, want to see more and better fallout games in the future? then instead of being completely rude and elitist toward the new folks, answer their questions and try to be... oh I dunno, a human being?

Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Smokescreened84

It's a good thing I can read a wall of text, used to write that way before I was in my 20s. Long time ago.

Ever tried to run and gun in Fallout 3? Try doing that against a feral ghoul reaver or a deathclaw, or two, without using up a lot of ammo and not getting hurt without VATS.
Tried that once against an encampment of super mutantsto see if such a method worked, the game over was quite fitting. When I went back there after loading up my save, I decided to do things in a more logical manner, I used the VATS and avoided rushing them.

Fallout 3 is different from a game like Halo or COD, those are geared and designed to allow for a quick and easy run and gun way of playing, Fallout 3 is not. Nor was Fallout 1 and 2, nor Tactics, nor Brotherhood Of Steel and New Vegas is looking to be the same way. Even with the FPS aspect, rushing into things isn't the best move.

The 'human' reply would be the same to the answer no matter what, after seeing the same question and questions being asked time and time again without any prior research and any patience from the player who feels the game is too slow, too boring and so on time and time again, it can become easy to answer in the same way - with a general tiredness of the same thing and the same reply.

For the op: How many RPG's have you played? If you've played plenty in the past, then just approach Fallout 3 like you would any RPG, with patience, a willingness to take your time and be in a hurry to 'get to the good part'. The entire game is 'the good part'.
If you need any help, assistence and such, there's the Fallout wiki and I'm sure any of us who have played the game and completed it, or come close enough, can easily help you out with any questions you may have.

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

lolsauce. ADD much?! Try reading a book sometime maybe it will increase your attention span, if not there is no hope for you child.

F'in kids these days I swear, don't appreciate s#@!.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Keep playing it.

IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

lolsauce. ADD much?! Try reading a book sometime maybe it will increase your attention span, if not there is no hope for you child.

The-Longshot

Yes, not being drawn into a game clearly has a direct correlation to maturity.

Jeff_Boldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jeff_Boldt
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts
[quote="Smokescreened84"]Fallout 3 is different from a game like Halo or COD, those are geared and designed to allow for a quick and easy run and gun way of playing, Fallout 3 is not. Nor was Fallout 1 and 2, nor Tactics, nor Brotherhood Of Steel and New Vegas is looking to be the same way. Even with the FPS aspect, rushing into things isn't the best move. The 'human' reply would be the same to the answer no matter what, after seeing the same question and questions being asked time and time again without any prior research and any patience from the player who feels the game is too slow, too boring and so on time and time again, it can become easy to answer in the same way - with a general tiredness of the same thing and the same reply.

Just one thing real quick before i reply to the part of your post in quotations here; Thanks, up to this point in my life I hadn't realized "proper paragraph" and "wall of text" were synonymous. anyway onto the reply Yes, in fact I have tried running and gunning in fallout 3. The Mobs. you've mentioned would be pretty silly to run and gun against, except for the super mutants... well and the ghouls too, considering how low the hp of ghouls, feral or not is. "running and gunning" does not imply that one would not use vats, only that instead of standing back, hiding in cover, picking off the stronger enemies first you would motor through an area, attract the attention of everyone and then handily dispatch them. With a number of seriously powerful weapons in the game, this method can be used effectively and easily on almost any mission, Vats helps a lot for this too. To be clear, I pretty much the entire game running and gunning, the only time I felt forced to use any kind of real stratedgy was in the death claw lair, but then, at the end of the lair (if I remember correctly) you get the crazy laser gattling gun, and you can run and gun your way out. Using Halo and COD as examples of games which make it easy to run and gun is a bit silly, and I'd be willing to bet that if you've played these games at all it was on the easiest difficulty settings. Halo especially, you will for the most part be running through smaller groups of enemies, and there's the occassional entire level that has you run your way through, however you're constantly encountering situations with more enemies and more variables than anything that happened in fallout. also, fallout 1, 2 and tactics probably shouldn't be used as examples at all here, considering they're classic top-down, turn based RPG's there's no comparison to be made anywhere. in response to the "human reply" blurb you've spewed out, have you considered that you are currently posting on a forum specifically for the xbox 360 and it's games? a place that encourages people to ask questions? a place that a lot of people turn to -before- going to search the vast wasteland of the internet? if you really expect that everyone who posts here be an expert on anything they may be posting about, well you're mistaken. If you were really tired of answering these questions you could've skipped this topic with the greatest of ease. No, you're not tired of answering these questions, you just felt like being combative and mean, that's not cool yo. also your last paragraph is respectable and conveys the road you should've taken from the beginning, thanks, I'm glad I could help point you back in the right direction.
sgotskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sgotskillz
Member since 2010 • 287 Posts

Wait till you get to the vault 112 -Tranquility Lane simulation.

Seeing a little girl talk with a man's voice is awesome.

The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts
Once you reach level 20 and find the Alien Blaster, becoming a god among men, that's where the fun begins.
dstv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dstv
Member since 2007 • 1384 Posts

...the good part starts from just about the beginning of the game.....its an RPG for a reason, dont go into it expecting the shooting of cod or the reflexes of Halo...its a completely different game and exploring is much more fun than shooting( although i do enjoy watching V.A.T.S at work)

parkour-rulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 parkour-rulz

For the op: How many RPG's have you played? .

Smokescreened84

2 so far world of warcraft ME2 thats about it. doesnt necessarily mean i dont like rpgs its only fallout 3 which i had a few problems with. with WoW i had all the patience in the world not to mention ME2 which i was totally lost in the beginning but now understand quite well. i took time with things and decided and in the ned i went..... renegade......yeah no regrets there...(but i kept another save with paragon)

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

there is no good part IMHO.i put about 17 hours into it and hated jevery bit of it. i had it for a week before i returned it to gamestop

parkour-rulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 parkour-rulz

Thank you all of you for answering my question. Really appreciate it(even the ones that were offensive :D). When I put myself in your shoes I myself find it ridiculous how a person got bored in just 20 mins. w/o finishing the tutorial. yeah well lets just say external factors came into play.......

aandj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aandj
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
seriously, how are u gonna play this amazing ass game for 10 minutes and say it sucks and its boring? I dont get this, i let 2 friends borrow deadspace and they both told me that they couldn't get into it after only about 15 minutes of play. SERIOUSLY? Deadspace is one of the scariest games to come out in awhile, plus its fun as hell and they based their judgement on it after a few minutes. Honestly, i think they were just too scared to continue but didn't want to admit it. I know i went off topic but this **** reminded me of this
parkour-rulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 parkour-rulz

The-Longshot

How do you know my age??? *closes windows and doors*

parkour-rulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 parkour-rulz

dude, if your that impatient, dont even bother getting the game again...stick to your brainless, flashy, other games and leave the great games for us.

cclbiah

:evil: ME2 and Skate 3 are not brainless!!!

me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

Just stick to CoD if you don't like the 20 minutes you played.

silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
i had the same feeling, but it does get better after a couple of hours once you start opening up side quests and getting better weapons and skills. the game really does start out ridiculously slow imo
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

then instead of being completely rude and elitist toward the new folks, answer their questions and try to be... oh I dunno, a human being?

Jeff_Boldt

had to lol at the irony here, cause you are being so much nicer at and not condescending at all

Avatar image for positivebalance
positivebalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 positivebalance
Member since 2010 • 2352 Posts

so you basically played like 30 minutes and quit? are you a serious gamer at all?

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
wow.... just wow... why do you even bother to play games?
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#50 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Welcome to GodForsaken Hellhole!

This phrase alone makes me want to go back and put another 120 hours in it...Dude, play the game asap...