EA has a new system. Thoughts and opinion?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sirmourinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sirmourinho
Member since 2007 • 1839 Posts

As you might all have heard, EA has launched a new system to counter used game sales. This system will ensure that EA can maximize sale profits on release day and on all there new game titles.

According to EA, it seems they lose a lot of money when people buy used games. But we all know this move a.k.a new system is ONLY meant to counter pirates.

the new system , "online pass" , ensures that you can play online features like ranked matches, games, access other online modes. without the pass, you CAN NOT play online. i.e you are stuck to playing offline. the online pass is free on release day but after that and if you get the game used, the system kicks in and you have to buy passes, some by 7 days others for a month etc. almost like a subscription.

Now, we who have a 360, have to pay live and also get this "online pass"?

its a shame that it has come to this though, coz i rarely buy EA sports games games on release day or even new but me personally, I dont agree with the online pass system. coz most games are not even worth 60 dollars. and to buy some games release day or NEW shouldn't be a MUST. EA assumes that with holding us ransom on release day or on there new games, they ensure sales.

but to some this can be seen as EA holding us hostage and forcing us to buy there games and not doing so results in us paying for these online passes.

I dont agree and which ever way you look at it, it does not seem right. Ironically this system will work,. if gamers can pay through the roof for expensive DLC, why cant they do anything to get an EA game.

the new system will start with teh release of Tiger woods PGA 11, fifa 11, NHL 11 etc......

What do you guys think? do you buy used games? will this affect you? Do you like the new online pass system? discuss................

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I'm so happy, I just wish they were charging more

I don't know who thinks they have the right to get games and not have the money go to the developer and the publisher. That's what happens when you deal with stores that sell used games, the people who made the game see none of it.

So now we have EA who finally say enough is enough with their "fine you want to screw us out of the money then we're not going to let you use our online services unless you pay" policy and for that they're only charging 10 bucks

This doesn't change the price of games at all for people, they will still be the normal price and will go down over time and as long as you have a new copy you get everything without having to pay another dime

What gets me is that the difference between new games and used games isn't even that much anymore. I mean Tiger Woods 2011 now on Amazon is 56 plus 20 bucks back, what's it going to sell for at a used place next month? 54 with no money back?

It's about time a company took a stand and did something to stop these used sales from continuing to destroy the industry

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
Well I certainly see why they're doing it. While I don't like it, I support it. I only buy madden anyway.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Sigh. I dont agree with it either to be honest.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
Thats stupid why should I have to to pay for something I already bout. So what if I buy it used I still payed for it I should be able to play online. Its stupid to pay $60 for a recycled game.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

There are better ways to combat the used game market, it is not illegal to buy 2nd hand products and a system like this is treating it like it is. They are taking away a bunch of features because you don't buy the game new, whats to stop them from saying you have to buy the collectors edition to get those features next? How about taking their beloved DLC, actual additional content and making it exclusive to new copies? People would buy new copies if they knew they would get support for the game for the next few months.

But publishers want everything to go their go their way, they want people to buy new and still buy the withheld content that makes up DLC. Yeah used games don't go for much cheaper than new games, but those few dollars you save you spend on DLC anyway to get the full game. So they don't want people to buy used, stop selling DLC, give something to the consumers instead of expecting a one way relationship. I hope this blows up in their face.

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raylewisnfl52
There are better ways to combat the used game market, it is not illegal to buy 2nd hand products and a system like this is treating it like so. They are taking away a bunch of features because you don't buy the game new, whats to stop them from saying you have to buy the collectors edition to get those features next? How about taking their beloved DLC, actual additional content and making it exclusive to new copies? People would buy new copies if they knew they would get support for the game for the next few months. But publishers want everything to go their go their way, they want people to buy new and still buy the withheld content that makes up DLC. Yeah used games don't go for much cheaper than new games, but those few dollars you save you spend on DLC anyway to get the full game. So they don't want people to buy used, stop selling DLC, give something to the consumers instead of expecting a one way relationship. I hope this blows up in their face. Sepewrath
Well on ebay or amazon you can get used game for half the price or even more.
SoF-Rambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SoF-Rambo
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

If this is the case with Medal of Honor, I myself will be screwed. Oh, and BTW, do they expect us to actually keep the games, when they come up with new versions every year? My general plan would be to keep one game, and then constantly add DLC for a few years, until there is a better graphics engine, or new system to play on. I have a strong feeling that my idea would generally stop all the used sales hate, as the company still gets money off of all the DLC.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy

Thats stupid why should I have to to pay for something I already bout. So what if I buy it used I still payed for it I should be able to play online. Its stupid to pay $60 for a recycled game.raylewisnfl52

Why do you think the people who make the game should get no money from it at all?

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i don't blame them... they spend money on a software with a fan base of example: 2 million but end up only selling 1.25-1.5 M that .05+ in money lost... w/e they do i hope these codes activate with a account and the system. what if you bro/ sis or w/e plays same game but can't play online on the same system without paying be pretty messed up... w/e won't effect me can't remember was last time i bought a EA game, hate sports games that. any pretty much any other game published i have not been impressed to spend 60 bucks. most my games comes fr4om Gamefly and i usually only play single on rented games and if Sunday or night time where i cant send it back throughGamefly i play few games of muti but that's till i can ship it
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raylewisnfl52

[QUOTE="raylewisnfl52"]Thats stupid why should I have to to pay for something I already bout. So what if I buy it used I still payed for it I should be able to play online. Its stupid to pay $60 for a recycled game.Jaysonguy

Why do you think the people who make the game should get no money from it at all?

Cause they just recycle the same game every year and they make plenty of money already. The movie and music industy is hit the hardest and they arent really doing anything about it. Movies and music is downloaded for free.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
of course EA would be the first company to do this, first those stupid little micro-transactions, now this
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

of course EA would be the first company to do this, first those stupid little micro-transactions, now thischaoscougar1

You can't really blame them tho. I still don't get why people pay 55$ for a used game in the first place..

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="raylewisnfl52"]Thats stupid why should I have to to pay for something I already bout. So what if I buy it used I still payed for it I should be able to play online. Its stupid to pay $60 for a recycled game.Jaysonguy

i see what you are saying, but the consumer should not have to subsidise the flaw in the revenue streams. If anything it should be worked out internally
EzraMajor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EzraMajor
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

Is this saying that the Online Pass is purchased and only good for a limited amount of time?? If that's the case then I hope EA goes out of business. It isn't a bad idea to let a user purchase an online pass as a one time buy that wouldn't expire but to charge on a weekly, monthly or even yearly basis is just outrageous.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

lol, I thought from the thread title that they released a new GAME syestem. I was like WTF!

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Wtf I'm getting tired of this bs if most of the companies start doing this I'm done with live lol...
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts

I don't know who thinks they have the right to get games and not have the money go to the developer and the publisher. That's what happens when you deal with stores that sell used games, the people who made the game see none of it.

So now we have EA who finally say enough is enough with their "fine you want to screw us out of the money then we're not going to let you use our online services unless you pay" policy and for that they're only charging 10 bucks

This doesn't change the price of games at all for people, they will still be the normal price and will go down over time and as long as you have a new copy you get everything without having to pay another dime

What gets me is that the difference between new games and used games isn't even that much anymore. I mean Tiger Woods 2011 now on Amazon is 56 plus 20 bucks back, what's it going to sell for at a used place next month? 54 with no money back?

It's about time a company took a stand and did something to stop these used sales from continuing to destroy the industry

Jaysonguy
Why should I pay an EXTRA 10 bucks when I'm already paying 60 per year and 60 for THEIR game seriously this is a stupid idea at least I'm getting a good deal when it's used...oh wait now I'm not..good job EA
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

Well I certainly see why they're doing it. While I don't like it, I support it. I only buy madden anyway. Doomtime
lol..what makes you guys think that this isn't gonna become the norm for all major titles and not just sports games? And what makes you think if this is a success that it wont be implemented with other developers/publishers and NON-sports games?

I definitely would not support this, especially if you rent your games from Gamefly, Blockbuster or where ever. It's not just people who buy them used that get screwed, it's people that rent as well (and low income people). And what's up with all the hate against people who buy games used? lol, it's getting a little ridiculous now.

These developers are not hurting for cash..I mean look at Activision and how they made 1 Billion dollars with MW2. You make a good game, people will buy it period. And I can't believe that gamers are actually supporting a major company (EA) to screw over the low income/little guy. I tell you, ignorance is at an all time high in our country today. LOL. These developers ARE making unbelievable amounts of money (especially off of DLC content as well) (Hollywood looks at the gaming industry in aw at how much money they make).

I wont be supporting this, it's just not right and it opens the door for even more "IDEAS" that will eventually screw over the people that buy new..lol wait and see. And YOU supporters will be the ones that opened the can of worms. (but that's just my opinion of course) :)

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="raylewisnfl52"]Thats stupid why should I have to to pay for something I already bout. So what if I buy it used I still payed for it I should be able to play online. Its stupid to pay $60 for a recycled game.raylewisnfl52

Cause they just recycle the same game every year and they make plenty of money already. The movie and music industy is hit the hardest and they arent really doing anything about it. Movies and music is downloaded for free.

they dont recycle the same game every year... i like how EA is doing this because it stops used game selling monopolies... cough cough** gamestop, from taking advantage selling used games for 4 dollars less than the price to buy the game new. im all for supporting the devs and seeing sequels. i bet if EA did this earlier they probably wouldnt have that 500 million dollar loss they currently have... but i gurantee u activision will do this same thing but probably charge 20 dollars. EA is smart only charging 10 because it truly isnt fair that the used game selling stores get so much profit from this for ripping people off
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#22 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
The only EA sports game I play is FNR4 anyway. All their other sports games aren't worth my time anyway.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Why should I pay an EXTRA 10 bucks when I'm already paying 60 per year and 60 for THEIR game seriously this is a stupid idea at least I'm getting a good deal when it's used...oh wait now I'm not..good job EA

It's not an extra 10 bucks, please read over what is going on

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

i like how EA is doing this because it stops used game selling monopolies... cough cough** gamestop, from taking advantage selling used games for 4 dollars less than the price to buy the game new.Bangerman15

No EA is doing it because they are finally realizing just how stupid people really are. Gametop has been becoming rich off of people's stupidity and now every developer is trying to in their own way. Instead of EA coming right out and saying "we are doing this because stupid people will buy it", they are just saying it is to stop "Used game sales".

I mean just think of all the things companies have been doing to cash in on people's stupidity.

- For MMOs (World of Warcraft) many games are now having BOTH subscriptions and item shops. Hell in WoW a freaking $25 horse (WITH NO ADVANTAGES) sold what around 200k in like 8 hours or something.

- EA has been cashing in on the ability to release the same game for the past 15+ years to the same people.

- Activision has embraced doing the same thing as EA, but they do it far worse because just look up how many guitar music games come out in a year. They are banking on people been stupid enough to pay more money on songs with more restrictions than normal music. Oh and they are all the exact same games.

- Ubisoft... well sorry Ubisoft just decided to embrace stupidity themselves. What is a good way to stop Pirating? To give people more reasons to pirate!

I mean this is as much of an attack on used game sales as DLC is to expanding the experience of a game and not trying to rip of their customers. I haven't necessarily minded the "free" content with new game purchase (I out free in quotations because I mean free as in removed from the game and made DLC) because up until now it was relatively small and not essential to playing the game. Now though they have decided to remove essential parts from games.

And also this should bother a lot of people because if you consider this an attack on used game sales then it is also an attack on rentals too. Just like any other type of business, when you start killing off your list of potential customers (this goes for rentals) then it is going to hurt you later. Just imagine the reprocussions if this removes around 95% of rentals and used game sales. It could end up hurting rental stores (which are already being hurt) and would make 1 big indurstry die, meaning... less potential customers (not only the renters to potential buyers, but also the people that now have no jobs). Along with that is that the used game industry (gamestop) could actually start being extremely competitive with EA. Which while beneficially for some time to us could end up with the possibility of EA losing more money than they do now.

Think about it gamestop is pretty much out competing EA when it comes to used game sales (since EA is trying to stop them) and they are barely doing anything. I think that if gamestop started getting very competitive with its bonus' / prices then it could easily stop was EA is doing and in the end could end up hurting EA even more. Which by looking at how PC DRM is going would mean EVEN MORE RESTRICTIONS.

Now am I being over dramatic? Hell yes, but that doesn't stop the possibility of what I just said from happening.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
It's a ridiculous situation because EA goes to bed with Gamestop in the beginning offering "preorder exclusives", they then go and stab them in the back for selling their used games. Back years ago I remember EB wasn't allowed to sell any EA games used because EA was threatening a lawsuit. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate Gamestop. And their prices could be a lot lower on used stuff, but without being able to sell games used a video game store simply can not exist. Profit margin on a new game is somewhere between $8-$12 for the store. Like the guy above said, no rental stores either. But a lot of companies really underestimate the consumer. Just because you can't get games cheaper used or go rent them does not mean that people are blindly going to fork out $60 just out of curiosity for a game. Like I said earlier, this is the greediest market in the world right now as far as I see it and they are going to shoot their own foot off.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

^I don't know how many times I said that. If companies are going to keep sending people to GS, they cant complain about people taking advantage of the market they offer there. These publishers are apparently run by idiots who cant tell that GS is using them to get customers in the door with this pre order bonus garbage. Do they not notice GS deals like buy SSFIV and get 10 bucks off a used game purchase or something like that, they use the pre orders to get people in there and into the used game market. So they get to sell a new game for a few bucks and then they get to sell a used game for 100% profit.

So if I see this, consumers see this, companies have to see this, yet they keep sending people there. They have no right to complain about use game market when they facilitate it by working with GS on every damn game that comes out. So EA wants to do that and put it on the backs of consumers with garbage like this and DLC. It is arrogance like this that will cause the industry to hit that brick wall again. Gamestop is not a video game retailer, Gamestop is a used game retailer, so sending people there will likely result in them buying what?

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Thats stupid why should I have to to pay for something I already bout. So what if I buy it used I still payed for it I should be able to play online. Its stupid to pay $60 for a recycled game.raylewisnfl52

i see what you are saying, but the consumer should not have to subsidise the flaw in the revenue streams. If anything it should be worked out internally

Agreed. And how will we sell the games we dont want now? If other publishers pick up on this, we're kinda screwed. We'll be stuck with a wall of videogames, good or bad. The way I see it. More gamers/consumers will be EVEN MORE buyer conscious with this new system being implemented. It will probably affect sales, in a bad way, more than promote it. It will probably backfire. Look at DRM and all that crap. I am all for preventing piracy, but not for buying and selling used games.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts

[QUOTE="Doomtime"]Well I certainly see why they're doing it. While I don't like it, I support it. I only buy madden anyway. gamer082009

lol..what makes you guys think that this isn't gonna become the norm for all major titles and not just sports games? And what makes you think if this is a success that it wont be implemented with other developers/publishers and NON-sports games?

I definitely would not support this, especially if you rent your games from Gamefly, Blockbuster or where ever. It's not just people who buy them used that get screwed, it's people that rent as well (and low income people). And what's up with all the hate against people who buy games used? lol, it's getting a little ridiculous now.

These developers are not hurting for cash..I mean look at Activision and how they made 1 Billion dollars with MW2. You make a good game, people will buy it period. And I can't believe that gamers are actually supporting a major company (EA) to screw over the low income/little guy. I tell you, ignorance is at an all time high in our country today. LOL. These developers ARE making unbelievable amounts of money (especially off of DLC content as well) (Hollywood looks at the gaming industry in aw at how much money they make).

I wont be supporting this, it's just not right and it opens the door for even more "IDEAS" that will eventually screw over the people that buy new..lol wait and see. And YOU supporters will be the ones that opened the can of worms. (but that's just my opinion of course) :)

I'd expect this to become the norm eventually. If it's that much of a problem, wait for a price drop on new games.If you read into the industry, the developers don't make much. And for the record, Activision isn't a developer.
jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

they do not deserve to try to collect everytime the game transfers ownership. they made their profit, someone had to buy the game for it to be used in the first place.

its like Chevy putting your DNA on your keys so if you want to sell your car after you bought it, you gotta pay them a fee to swap the DNA for the key to work.(just an example, but you get the idea)

i hope a lawsuit happens from this. i wouldn't be surprised if someone claims anit-competitive practices with EA. i'm heading to law school next year, EA, i'll be coming for you :twisted:

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer082009"]

[QUOTE="Doomtime"]Well I certainly see why they're doing it. While I don't like it, I support it. I only buy madden anyway. Doomtime

I'd expect this to become the norm eventually. If it's that much of a problem, wait for a price drop on new games.If you read into the industry, the developers don't make much. And for the record, Activision isn't a developer.

So will this mean companies like Gamefly will go out of business? Or at least take a huge hit? Hmm I think so.. as more people will rent less games because they will be forced to pay the online pass fee.. for agame they are renting and probably will not buy/own.

More so, game developers who are trying to break out into the industry with lower budget titles won't even stand a chance... This isn't good. As this affects a wider spectrum of the gaming industry.. while the "well-off" game publishers/companies want more money? Makes no sense.. They will hurt the little guys and the industry as a whole. You will only see big company brand names.. I dont like the sound of that at all...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#31 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I seriously hate this practice. Companies in all industries lose money from second hand markets. Who does EA thin they are that they shouldn't lose money as well? It's part of the business world. Double dipping like this should be illegal.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 billyd5301

^ Absolutely correct. The difference is that video games companies can take advantage of this because your console is hooked to the internet while Samsung can't do this with a television, Ford can't do it with a car, or Topps can't do it with baseball cards. It is VERY unfair and only someone working in the industry for a big name company could possibly think this was a "good" thing.

"So if I see this, consumers see this, companies have to see this, yet they keep sending people there. They have no right to complain about use game market when they facilitate it by working with GS on every damn game that comes out. So EA wants to do that and put it on the backs of consumers with garbage like this and DLC. It is arrogance like this that will cause the industry to hit that brick wall again. Gamestop is not a video game retailer, Gamestop is a used game retailer, so sending people there will likely result in them buying what?"

I said last year at this time that the 2nd video game bottoming out was coming, and it's getting closer. Naive people think it will never happen because so many hot titles come out, but it's still getting closer, trust me. Most people on THIS site will support Microsoft even when they make faulty hardware, they will support Sony when their console is overpriced, and they will support EA when they try to put a stranglehold on the industry. Here is the problem. Everyone who has ever logged on to Gamespot probably makes up less than 1% of people who own a PS2 era and later video game console. The average American video game consumers are just looking for some fun and entertainment and they buy their niche games. They are not blind die hard fanboys that will eat all the crap that the industry shoves down their throat. If you continually screw over your customer base (which is how most people will see this) and make them mad they will leave. And without those millions of people who religiously buy Madden, Halo, CoD, and Resistance games, you have no funding to give even the die hard fanboys their 20 new releases a month.

And to go further, I play a lot of video games, but I also work for a living. I am not and was never big on the preorder exclusive stuff anyways because I don't like having to shop around to buy a freaking VIDEO GAME. If you want to give me money off fine, but shopping around 10 stores to see who is giving away an extra map or golden gun is well beneath me at this point. And I am sure the other 99.9% of video game consumers that I already mentioned do not give two cents about it ether. But yeah, really EA, why jump in bed with Gamestop and used game dealers to make life harder on consumers so you can shove a knife in their backs two years later???

PabloEscobar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 PabloEscobar20
Member since 2009 • 837 Posts

I think we should get off the Activisian hatewagon and jump back on our good old EA hatetrain.

franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts

I understand why they are doing it but I dont like it. I like how they would allow you to get free DLC for having purchased a new game but this I will not support.

I really dont buy used games anyways but that would affect me being able to sell my games used and get some type of value for a game I no-longer wish to own. Selling back my old used games, helps me purchase new games.

Think how thsi will affect Gamefly and other places.

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

they do not deserve to try to collect everytime the game transfers ownership. they made their profit, someone had to buy the game for it to be used in the first place.

jlevin860

My thoughts exactly.I really don't like the way things are heading.I have stopped buying DLC because it has become a total farce.Now they are talking about charging for an extended demo/preview of games that you will still have to pay full price for anyway,and now this.The problem is the stupid Fanboys just keep on buying all this crap so companies like EA just keep on coming up with more ways to rip us off.The cost of being a serious gamer is becoming ridiculous and if we were to lose the used game market and possibly the rental services would be a major blow.If this stuff keeps up they will eventually force us all into going outside more often:P

DvnDrgnXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DvnDrgnXD
Member since 2006 • 530 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Your analogy to used games is a fail and always will be. Its like saying its not fair when I sell my iPod to my buddy for $30 bucks. Apples not getting any money from that so I am ripping Apple off? No. I am merely doing a sale. I bought a product giving me full ownership and I transfer that owndership for some money. Seems like capatilism to me. Its not right to have to go through this of charing an extra $10 for on-line play when EA CHOOSES to host on their own servers when they know full damn well they could do peer to peer, like most games do. We pay for Xbox LIVE (Gold members atleast do) and should not be extorted for more money because they dislike that people actually do what they want with the games they own. Does my friend have to pay extra for iTunes song because I traded him my iPod. No.
stealthedhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 stealthedhawk
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts
i hate golf but the new system is great in my opinion
DvnDrgnXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DvnDrgnXD

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"] [QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

It's not an extra 10 bucks, please read over what is going on

Yes, it is. YOU re-read.

DvnDrgnXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DvnDrgnXD
[QUOTE="billyd5301"]

^ Absolutely correct. The difference is that video games companies can take advantage of this because your console is hooked to the internet while Samsung can't do this with a television, Ford can't do it with a car, or Topps can't do it with baseball cards. It is VERY unfair and only someone working in the industry for a big name company could possibly think this was a "good" thing.

"So if I see this, consumers see this, companies have to see this, yet they keep sending people there. They have no right to complain about use game market when they facilitate it by working with GS on every damn game that comes out. So EA wants to do that and put it on the backs of consumers with garbage like this and DLC. It is arrogance like this that will cause the industry to hit that brick wall again. Gamestop is not a video game retailer, Gamestop is a used game retailer, so sending people there will likely result in them buying what?"

I said last year at this time that the 2nd video game bottoming out was coming, and it's getting closer. Naive people think it will never happen because so many hot titles come out, but it's still getting closer, trust me. Most people on THIS site will support Microsoft even when they make faulty hardware, they will support Sony when their console is overpriced, and they will support EA when they try to put a stranglehold on the industry. Here is the problem. Everyone who has ever logged on to Gamespot probably makes up less than 1% of people who own a PS2 era and later video game console. The average American video game consumers are just looking for some fun and entertainment and they buy their niche games. They are not blind die hard fanboys that will eat all the crap that the industry shoves down their throat. If you continually screw over your customer base (which is how most people will see this) and make them mad they will leave. And without those millions of people who religiously buy Madden, Halo, CoD, and Resistance games, you have no funding to give even the die hard fanboys their 20 new releases a month.

And to go further, I play a lot of video games, but I also work for a living. I am not and was never big on the preorder exclusive stuff anyways because I don't like having to shop around to buy a freaking VIDEO GAME. If you want to give me money off fine, but shopping around 10 stores to see who is giving away an extra map or golden gun is well beneath me at this point. And I am sure the other 99.9% of video game consumers that I already mentioned do not give two cents about it ether. But yeah, really EA, why jump in bed with Gamestop and used game dealers to make life harder on consumers so you can shove a knife in their backs two years later???

Its not as simple as shopping "some place else" as a lot of people such as myself, have vested thousands of dollars into their account (from all content and LIVE memberships), myself with owning 60 Arcade games would be dumb to go buy a game on the PS3 that I could on the Xbox 360.
DvnDrgnXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DvnDrgnXD

[QUOTE="Bangerman15"] i like how EA is doing this because it stops used game selling monopolies... cough cough** gamestop, from taking advantage selling used games for 4 dollars less than the price to buy the game new.Agent_Kaliaver

No EA is doing it because they are finally realizing just how stupid people really are. Gametop has been becoming rich off of people's stupidity and now every developer is trying to in their own way. Instead of EA coming right out and saying "we are doing this because stupid people will buy it", they are just saying it is to stop "Used game sales".

I mean just think of all the things companies have been doing to cash in on people's stupidity.

- For MMOs (World of Warcraft) many games are now having BOTH subscriptions and item shops. Hell in WoW a freaking $25 horse (WITH NO ADVANTAGES) sold what around 200k in like 8 hours or something.

- EA has been cashing in on the ability to release the same game for the past 15+ years to the same people.

- Activision has embraced doing the same thing as EA, but they do it far worse because just look up how many guitar music games come out in a year. They are banking on people been stupid enough to pay more money on songs with more restrictions than normal music. Oh and they are all the exact same games.

- Ubisoft... well sorry Ubisoft just decided to embrace stupidity themselves. What is a good way to stop Pirating? To give people more reasons to pirate!

I mean this is as much of an attack on used game sales as DLC is to expanding the experience of a game and not trying to rip of their customers. I haven't necessarily minded the "free" content with new game purchase (I out free in quotations because I mean free as in removed from the game and made DLC) because up until now it was relatively small and not essential to playing the game. Now though they have decided to remove essential parts from games.

And also this should bother a lot of people because if you consider this an attack on used game sales then it is also an attack on rentals too. Just like any other type of business, when you start killing off your list of potential customers (this goes for rentals) then it is going to hurt you later. Just imagine the reprocussions if this removes around 95% of rentals and used game sales. It could end up hurting rental stores (which are already being hurt) and would make 1 big indurstry die, meaning... less potential customers (not only the renters to potential buyers, but also the people that now have no jobs). Along with that is that the used game industry (gamestop) could actually start being extremely competitive with EA. Which while beneficially for some time to us could end up with the possibility of EA losing more money than they do now.

Think about it gamestop is pretty much out competing EA when it comes to used game sales (since EA is trying to stop them) and they are barely doing anything. I think that if gamestop started getting very competitive with its bonus' / prices then it could easily stop was EA is doing and in the end could end up hurting EA even more. Which by looking at how PC DRM is going would mean EVEN MORE RESTRICTIONS.

Now am I being over dramatic? Hell yes, but that doesn't stop the possibility of what I just said from happening.

Yay, we should start a coalition to stop all used product sales. !!!. wOOt!!! I have a better idea; lets me be anti-free market, wOOt!!! You cant stop used sales (which would be unethical as trading as gone back since humans were first on Earth) and you cant classify games into their own "exemption" from the list because they are not. Games are a product and so arent other things, like iPods or MACs, they are products that can be bought, sold, traded, or given. Its a dumb idea to think that GameStop is putting developers out of business. Its also bull crap that the iPod I sold to my friend put Apple out of business. Get an education in economics.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 raylewisnfl52
If they really wanted people to stop buying used they would sell thier games through xbox live in downloadable form. But thats where they lose out again people arent willing to spend hours downloading a game, and not having space left on their harddrives and not all people have live or harddrives, but still is better than this crap they are trying to pull off. If they do this then I still think they will lose money cause some people will simply just not buy there games. Like someone said before if I buy a game and pay them my $60 for it I have it I own it I can do anything I want with it except make copies and sell the copies. I can break the game, or sell it to a friend since I payed for it. They have my money already.
jaften

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jaften
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts

EA games 2009 NET Profit: 4.2 Billion

They should be paying us to play their games.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 billyd5301

I was just thinking... I wonder when they post their Madden sales every year how many people got it by trading in 3 or more games towards it, otherwise they would not have been able to get it. As much as I am against trading in my own stuff I know a ridiculous amount of people use this as the sole means to getting new games. Not to mention the smarter crowd that Ebays them all the week before for more money. If you couldn't sell you games for anything or trade them in they would have to lose a lot of sales off of their new games...

Seems a lot like the music industry to me when they screw over everyone, including themselves to stop the small percentage or people pirating. Only with games you are screwing over the consumers and yourself just to stop people from making money on used games. Doesn't seem like a smart road to take.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jaysonguy

The difference is that video games companies can take advantage of this because your console is hooked to the internet while Samsung can't do this with a television, Ford can't do it with a car, or Topps can't do it with baseball cards. It is VERY unfair and only someone working in the industry for a big name company could possibly think this was a "good" thing.

billyd5301

Completely wrong

Ford DOES do it with their cars and Samsung DOES do it with their TV's

EA isn't stopping anyone from buying games used and ripping off devs and publishers. They're stopping anyone who rips them off from using their services for free.

If you buy a car from a Ford dealer and you need it repaired it'll be covered by the Ford dealership. If you buy a Ford from a third party and want something fixed you'll be paying out of pocket. Same with Samsung and every single manufacturer on the planet.

billyd5301

If you're not willing to put in any effort then there's no reason to complain about the shopping practices.

As far as Gamestop they do sell new games and the incentives are only for the new games.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

maxpayne2424

lol there's always one guy happy to be milked

Super, you work for free

I don't know why you'd expect everyone else to

Is there a particular reason you want everyone to work for free like you are currently doing?

rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#47 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

[QUOTE="maxpayne2424"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

lol there's always one guy happy to be milked

Super, you work for free

I don't know why you'd expect everyone else to

Is there a particular reason you want everyone to work for free like you are currently doing?

Oh please stop. You know they aren't working for free. These companies are investing two million into a game and getting ten times that in return. It's complete greed. If you are making ten times your investment and still in red then I have to argue it's not industry trends but poorly managed companies. How do small developers keep making games? If used games were hurting the industry so bad these companies would be completley out of business yet we are seeing releases from them.

I hate the used game industry but don't punish people who actually support developers. It's another version of DRM and it's garbage. These companies are getting paid they just don't know how to run their business and blaming everyone else but themselves. If you want to stop used game sales then lower new game prices and stop milking people on download content.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jaysonguy

You know they aren't working for free.

rp108

They most certainly are

Any sale not new does not show up to the devs or publishers at all

To further make matters worse someone buying a used game and then playing it online actually makes the dev and publisher go in the red

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
this aint gonna last...its gonna flop
KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts

[QUOTE="rp108"]

You know they aren't working for free.

Jaysonguy

They most certainly are

Any sale not new does not show up to the devs or publishers at all

To further make matters worse someone buying a used game and then playing it online actually makes the dev and publisher go in the red

The used market won't threaten them that much. I buy mainly new games unless I want to play a game that was released a few years ago, and many other people do the same.

They also still get money from advertising and other sponsorship type deals. Don't pretend they're scraping a living. These are multi-billion dollar businesses.