Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

FYI guys, sharing what I just learned earlier for those who care, free trial for EA access members ....I was not planning on getting the game but I'll try it out and see how I feel about it. Runs at 4K - 60fps on the X according to the promos I've seen

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Alucard_Prime: I found the game to be super repetitive, no driver in the drivers seat and the infinite gears grinded my gears, and for me no matter the resolution or frames will ever change that.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@i_p_daily: I played it a little yesterday and I don't think I will get it, FH3 is just so much better . It controls decent but yeah it does feel a little barren with just cars and no drivers. I Thought it was an OK arcade racer at the time but personally I prefer the older Burnouts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Alucard_Prime: Burnout 3 was the pinnacle for the series, although I did like Revenge, but Paradise is plain awful.

I find it disappointing that there is so many games that are being "remastered" from last gen, and gamers are just eating them up. Why make new games when they can rort gamers with "remasters" with little to no effort.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5  Edited By scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

@Alucard_Prime: Nah. Forza Horizon 3 has too many straight lines. Not nearly enough curvy roads.

Burnout Paradise remaster is basically what I've been playing for many years. Now, release Xbox One X enhanced Burnout Revenge and I'll buy an Xbone X. I swear. Such a massive enhancement on what is already the best version of the game would be incredible.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@scoots9: yeah I remember Burnout Revenge was pretty good, it would be cool if they remastered that one too. I guess Paradise City is just different enough from FH3, I shouldn't really compare them. It's a fun game though I like the Arcade style racing, I just think I have too many racers on my plate as it is.

Don't know if you tried "Danger Zone", a few ex-Criterion devs worked on that game I believe, but I just couldn't get into it as well as Burnout, gameplay didn't feel as smooth ....I should try it again soon see if I change my mind

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

The graphics barely look remastered, it's just a small resolution/framerate bump.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@R4gn4r0k said:

The graphics barely look remastered, it's just a small resolution/framerate bump.

So like every other remaster then.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k

@i_p_daily said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Uhm

Nope.

@i_p_daily said:

So like every other lazy remaster then.

Yeah, that's better. Fixed.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Alucard_Prime

@R4gn4r0k: Those pics are from re-makes as far as I know(well the Sony game for sure is a remake), but this Burnout release is just a remaster as far as I know, dont think many new textures would have been added, it is just the base game running at higher settings.......the difference may not seem as noticeable because of the base assets were not really meant for 4K, its quite an old game.....but good thing we have a trial version for those who have EA access, some big fans will surely like it, maybe new people who never played it before as well.....personally I had no plans to get, but I saw a lot of excitement on Twitter when the game was announced, so it made me curious to try it out myself and see how it held up today. Already played the 360 version a lot and finished it before.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@Alucard_Prime: Actually no, those three pics are from remasters.

Remakes are new games, built completely from the ground up. So new textures, new assets, new sound, new engine, new models...

Remasters re-use a lot of stuff, but they also remaster a lot of the textures, sounds and assets.

here are some examples of proper remakes:

Crash Bandicoot is another good example of a remake.

Shadow of the Colossus is stuck somewhere between a remaster and a remake. Since a lot of it was indeed built from the ground up.

But since Bluepoint themselves have come out and said they are "now working on another remaster", I'd count it as a remaster too.

So where does that leave Burnout ?

Well, as far as I can tell nothing was actually remastered: No sound was remastered, no assets, no textures, no graphics.

It's just a simple resolution and FPS bump. So I'd call it a port.

You don't have to take my word for it. But there are clear distinctions to what makes a port, what makes a remaster and what makes a remake.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Alucard_Prime

@R4gn4r0k: it's true that technically speaking a remaster can have new textures and a port is just straight up dumping the game to more powerful hardware. I just did not play the game enough myself to make that determination, some parts of the game may have received extra attention for this remaster, and I just played it like half an hour.

I'd have to replay the old game a little, then play this new version to see if I notice bigger differences with the older version.....I do agree the differences seem minor at first, that was my impression too, but the problem is recently I've been playing games like Forza Horizon 3 at 4K which once you get used to that, a remastered older game like Burnout can seem underwhelming by comparison, at first..... but it doesn't necessarily mean no work was done, as you have stated.

Anyways, if DF does an analysis I will post it here out of curiosity and for those interested.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

@Alucard_Prime: Yeah, you are right: So many racing games look so visually impressive these days that my first reaction to Burnout remaster announce trailer was: 'Wait ? This is it ? I remembered this game looking way better than this.'

lol :p

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@i_p_daily said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Uhm

I know it is graphically inferior in every way technically, but I still prefer the look of the colossi in the original Shadow of the Colossus. They just appear more demonic and menacing to me. I am sure the remaster is amazing though.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15  Edited By BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Tried the trial and it was decent but already own the 360 version on BC, just not feeling it. Also, the crashing into objects and going right into a crash sequence kinda kills the fun, just doesnt stand up to time where nowadays it could be momentum and all be live in game and try and work yourself out of the wreck(somewhat like the crash mode in previous Burnout games).