Dead Space 2 difficulty is just plain stupid....

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Sigh... I'm at my wits end. This is massively frustrating. I couldn't beat the first DS on hard. I tried, but I couldnt do it. Normal, however, was too easy. I mean, it was MASSIVELY easy. And so, when I heard that DS2 pushed the difficulty up, I jumped for joy. Wrong reaction to have.

DS2 on normal is apparently equivalent to the first DS on hard. However, the casual setting is still the same as it was. SO THEY GOT RID OF NORMAL MODE?! I mean christ, why is it so hard for them to come up with some kind of median difficulty setting? I CONSTANTLY had trouble with the normal mode in this game (more trouble than I should have had, meaning I was almost always at half health, with only a few bullets for every gun, and the first Brute fight took me 3 damn tries), but when I restarted the game and jumped it down to easy, I knew by Chapter 3 it wasnt gonna be right for me, when I got hit by an enemy and my health wasn't effected. Like, seriously, I would have had to fight an army of crimsons to drop down to half health on easy mode. And they all drop 9 friggin plasma ammo! Ugh...

I know that pretty much every person here is going to jump in with a classic troll line, such as "stop being bad" or "QQ, if it's too hard dont play"... but seriously, in the modern era, when we have reached SUCH technical marvels, and there are lots of other games with 5-6 difficulty modes, why does DS2 have to be either stupidly hard, or lobotomy easy? Oh well, another disappointment I guess. Maybe after I beat a few other games I will try again on normal.

KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 136

User Lists: 1

#2 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

Maybe your just not very good at the game I beat it on Survivalist (which is one difficulty higher then normal)no problem if you need any help feel free to PM me and I can givesome extensive advice on the game.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I also started the game on Survivalist. I'm almost done. I can see why you'd wan't to turn the difficulty down, though. While I rarely found myself dying or low on ammo in the first, I've had to be a bit more resourceful in the sequel. If you were considering turning down the difficulty, do it now, as in later chapters, the 'morphs start coming at you incessantly. There's much less breathing room here than in the first.

There are a couple of moments where I've said in my mind, 'that maybe seems a bit unfair', but it IS survival horror, so I like the challenge. I'm still pushing through the chapters quire well. It sucks that you can't find an enjoyable difficulty, though- it's not a fun feeling.

nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nintendo_ds_06
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

Its not their fault that you can't play the game on the hardest difficulty.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Essian

nintendo_ds_06

Hey it actually took a few replies before I got a stupid one... this does not add anything to the discussion, and is a failed attempt at trolling.

Also, Kamikaze, my browser wont let me send PM's for some reason... can you send me one and I can just reply to it! I would LOVE some help with DS2, just with tips and such. I think the problem might be that I am trying to play the game exactly like the first one (find a corner to hold up in, rarely use stasis, NEVER use kinesis, etc)

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Aren't you the same person who made the dead space thread earlier. Seriously the game isnt hard at all on normal or even survivalist. Zealot is where you might start to run into problems. I posted a bunch of tips in the other thread that would have helped you and i specifically remember saying dont get cornered and to use stasis on fast and strong enemies.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

^Well there's part of the problem! You've got to think on your feet a bit more. There's plenty of stuff lying around to take advantage of the more accurate kinesis this time around. And is it ever satisfying. Having trouble with Brutes? Stasis, then run away. If you can, try to move to another room to confuse the AI. Works well for me.

Also, be sure to stomp every baddie. Sometimes you don't get an item until you damage them further after the death animation. Enemies also play dead more often in DS2- make sure they're dead- if a 'morph stops moving and still has most of its sharp limbs, it's probably faking it.

nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nintendo_ds_06

[QUOTE="nintendo_ds_06"]

Essian

Hey it actually took a few replies before I got a stupid one... this does not add anything to the discussion, and is a failed attempt at trolling.

Also, Kamikaze, my browser wont let me send PM's for some reason... can you send me one and I can just reply to it! I would LOVE some help with DS2, just with tips and such. I think the problem might be that I am trying to play the game exactly like the first one (find a corner to hold up in, rarely use stasis, NEVER use kinesis, etc)

Who was trying to troll? I just think instead of moaning about how hard a game is, how about you play it through on easy then you will have some idea what to expect on hard.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Essian

Aren't you the same person who made the dead space thread earlier. Seriously the game isnt hard at all on normal or even survivalist. Zealot is where you might start to run into problems. I posted a bunch of tips in the other thread that would have helped you and i specifically remember saying dont get cornered and to use stasis on fast and strong enemies.

Gen007
guilty as charged. As stated in my earlier post, I have made a post here about the DS2 difficulty setting before. I personally believe that nowadays, if a developer only has a few difficulty settings that are all RADICALLY different, then they are being lazy. With gamers all having different skill levels, there should be more game options, especially with the tech available. I am taking some time away from DS2 to play another game or two, and then coming back, and which point I am going to try super hard to incorporate all of your advice.
tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

ive bought this game but it hasnt arrived yet, but i was wondering, is it possible to complete the game using only the plasma cutter again? like if i only use it will i get plenty of ammo for it? or are there some moments when other weapons are needed?

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gen007

ive bought this game but it hasnt arrived yet, but i was wondering, is it possible to complete the game using only the plasma cutter again? like if i only use it will i get plenty of ammo for it? or are there some moments when other weapons are needed?

tomrocks666

I think you can its just like the first one you really only see ammo for the guns you are using at the moment but i will admit theres much less than there was in the first so you might not. You do also every once in awhile randomly get ammo for stuff your not using/dont have but it doesn't happen often. I cant say for sure though because i haven't played with just one gun yet.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Essian

tomrocks666
that thought makes me friggin shiver.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gen007

[QUOTE="tomrocks666"]

Essian

that thought makes me friggin shiver.

Why? the plasma cutter was easily the best gun in the first game and really in this one as well. Especially when you have it maxed out or just heavily upgraded.Take into account that the first game only gives you ammo for the guns you have on hand and your unstoppable.

Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

I tried to go through the game with just the plasma cutter.. it wasnt happening. Several times through the game it decided to give me ammo for guns I didnt even have. I was forced to get other weapons. I don't regret it though... some of those guns are life savers. :lol:

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
OH NOEZ A GAME IS HARD!! i havent finished but so far on normal it isnt too bad up to chapter 5. but if its hard oh well i dont mind a game being hard now and then.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#16 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Try it on Survivalist. I'm finding that pretty challenging.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Essian
[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"]OH NOEZ A GAME IS HARD!! i havent finished but so far on normal it isnt too bad up to chapter 5. but if its hard oh well i dont mind a game being hard now and then.

Up to chapter 5...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 29121994
Member since 2008 • 1166 Posts

I don't understand how people are complaining about the difficulty of dead space 2 :/. I've been playing it on Normal and it's been pretty easy so far (on PC at least). A friend of mine was telling me how he was having a lot of trouble getting past chapter 4 where the stalker enemies are, even on Easy he found it hard. I got past that bit on the first go lol. I'm quite tempted to turn up the difficulty right now while i'm in the middle of chapter 6.

bangaz5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bangaz5
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
don't ever play demon souls then
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Essian
don't ever play demon souls thenbangaz5
I've beat it 3 times... completely different type of game, requiring completely different skills
folino857

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 folino857
Member since 2009 • 139 Posts

Not trying to troll or anything but aim and shoot its really an easy game even on zealot...im working my way through hardcore right now and it makes you want to cry

MrsBlunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 MrsBlunder
Member since 2011 • 126 Posts

Not trying to troll or anything but aim and shoot its really an easy game even on zealot...im working my way through hardcore right now and it makes you want to cry

folino857
I wouldn't even want to attempt it on Hardcore. Due to a lot of mishaps and accidental game erases in the past, I've developed an OCD of saving each time I see a safe spot and, from what I've heard, you're only allowed to save three times on Hardcore. Then again, I play games for pure amusement. Also, (this is not directed toward the quote, but rather toward the thread in general) tailoring a game to each individual player is a challenge. While the difficulties might seem ridiculously easy, hard, or the same to one player, it may not to the next. For instance: I'm new to shooting games. I would not touch anything non-rpg for a very long time. Therefore, my skills at games like DS and DS2 are severely lacking where as a veteran player, like those finding Survivalist and Hardcore modes easy, are far more superior. Easy or Normal might seem extremely difficult to me, and extremely easy to you, etc. There are times I would agree the difficulty is outrageous, but that tends to be when I find myself stuck, or I am just **** out of luck, low on health with no med packs, no ammo, etc. and a bunch of aliens feasting on me.
Spire88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Spire88
Member since 2006 • 4502 Posts
your saying DS was "hard" on hard, i did "impossible" with only the plasma cutter and THAT was easy. and as for the brutes just use the line gun and stasis and shoot both shoulders at once.
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

This far in, I'm surprised like no one mentioned Hard Core.

I mean, seriously.

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

Essian

guilty as charged. As stated in my earlier post, I have made a post here about the DS2 difficulty setting before. I personally believe that nowadays, if a developer only has a few difficulty settings that are all RADICALLY different, then they are being lazy. With gamers all having different skill levels, there should be more game options, especially with the tech available. I am taking some time away from DS2 to play another game or two, and then coming back, and which point I am going to try super hard to incorporate all of your advice.

so your gonna blame EVERYONE else for YOU not being any good. How you can say they were lazy more weapons more enemies new locations mutltiplayer but hey one person is struggling and the developers were (and in your word) stupid and lazy. As im reading through the posts it seems everyone else is jut fine with the game. Just because people disagree with you that does not count as trolling either.

JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 JStroud88
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Sigh... I'm at my wits end. This is massively frustrating. I couldn't beat the first DS on hard. I tried, but I couldnt do it. Normal, however, was too easy. I mean, it was MASSIVELY easy. And so, when I heard that DS2 pushed the difficulty up, I jumped for joy. Wrong reaction to have.

DS2 on normal is apparently equivalent to the first DS on hard. However, the casual setting is still the same as it was. SO THEY GOT RID OF NORMAL MODE?! I mean christ, why is it so hard for them to come up with some kind of median difficulty setting? I CONSTANTLY had trouble with the normal mode in this game (more trouble than I should have had, meaning I was almost always at half health, with only a few bullets for every gun, and the first Brute fight took me 3 damn tries), but when I restarted the game and jumped it down to easy, I knew by Chapter 3 it wasnt gonna be right for me, when I got hit by an enemy and my health wasn't effected. Like, seriously, I would have had to fight an army of crimsons to drop down to half health on easy mode. And they all drop 9 friggin plasma ammo! Ugh...

I know that pretty much every person here is going to jump in with a classic troll line, such as "stop being bad" or "QQ, if it's too hard dont play"... but seriously, in the modern era, when we have reached SUCH technical marvels, and there are lots of other games with 5-6 difficulty modes, why does DS2 have to be either stupidly hard, or lobotomy easy? Oh well, another disappointment I guess. Maybe after I beat a few other games I will try again on normal.

Essian

I'm sorry, this just sounds like a case of 'not being your type of game'. I am most of the way through normal right now and it has not been very hard at all.

Some parts have required more thought, but nothing that has made me angry or that I wasn't able to beat the 2nd time.

sambo2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 sambo2011
Member since 2006 • 411 Posts

Maybe get better at dead space ? just keep trying and soon you will crack it i'm sure

B0bb1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 B0bb1ns
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I completed it on the hardcore difficulty too, sorry.
BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts

I played dead space on impossible and finished it using only the plasma pistol...that was pretty easy. i agree with this though, i started DS2 on zealot, am almost at the end, but i've died soooo many times...god help me on hardcore.

nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendo_ds_06

[QUOTE="nintendo_ds_06"]

TrapMuzik92

go play your ds nimwick

Well I havn't played my DS 3 years so how about you STFU??? and for the record I have completed Dead space 1 and I have played Dead Space 2 for a good few hours and didn't either of them particularly hard

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#32 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Well, I got to the final boss on Survivalist in Dead Space 2 but didn't beat it. I restarted the campaign on Normal, and I want to get through that first and then go through the Survivalist campaign again later.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

I never played Dead Space ever, but let me get this straight for both Dead Space games:

1. you can actually change difficulty settings regardles how far you are in the game, at any Chapter?
  2. Do you lose all your weapons and upgrades while changing the difficulty settings or do you keep them?
Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
if the game hard on normal, you really need to get better. Play on justin.tv or stream so people can give you tips and tricks. It's not that big of a deal if you're not good at a single player game. I mean it's single player
RaIn285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RaIn285
Member since 2010 • 3010 Posts

Wow i don`t think that game was hard.I think DS1 is harder.Its pretty easy all i did when i was running out of ammo was trying to use the necromorph body parts as weapons and don`t forget to use stasis on stalkers

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I think you need to toughen up a bit. You're complaining because a Brute took three tries? Three isn't a lot. I played Vanquish on Hard on my first playthrough and there were parts where I died over a dozen times before I got through them. Some people give up far too easily. You're not supposed to breeze through every game you play.
flclkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 flclkiller
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
The Game was hard for me.
nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nintendo_ds_06

[QUOTE="nintendo_ds_06"]

[QUOTE="TrapMuzik92"] go play your ds nimwickLord_Nas3k

Well I havn't played my DS 3 years so how about you STFU??? and for the record I have completed Dead space 1 and I have played Dead Space 2 for a good few hours and didn't either of them particularly hard

u sound mad, bro

I just think its funny that he feels the need to make a thread because he can't finish a game.... also what the hell is a nimwick?
bradcopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bradcopia

Question:

If i start a game of ds2 on newgame+ after beating it one time before, do i have to play it on the difficulty i just beat it on to use all the things i have collected or can i increase the difficulty without losing anything?

bradcopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bradcopia

Question:

If i start a game of ds2 on newgame+ after beating it one time before, do i have to play it on the difficulty i just beat it on to use all the things i have collected or can i increase the difficulty without losing anything?

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

Question:

bradcopia
no this time you can play on harder settings exept hardcore mode with your weapons and suits from the last game on a lower difficulty setting
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

difficulty was fine

step ur game up

if u find it too hard either give up or try harder

i dont mean to sound like a dick, but ur setting urself up for it

what kind of discussion are u expecting from this thread? want tips read an faq

LowDownDirty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LowDownDirty
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

I actually wish developers didn't make different difficulties.

I like games like GTA IV, Demon's Souls, and Super Meat Boy where you just have to play the game as created.

The point of varying difficulties isn't really for drastically different skill levels.......It is casual vs. hardcore gamers.

Easy modes are made for young kids and people who only play games occasionally.

I've told people this about every game I've ever heard anyone gripe about the difficulty.......IF YOU PLAY ENOUGH YOU WILL GET BETTER!

If you can't beat it on normal then play on easy.

Like others have this is a SURVIVAL Horror game. You are an engineer using tools as weapons in Deep Space fighting freaking monsters.

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DIE A LOT! IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE VERY HARD!

Honestly I don't want to hear anyone complain about the difficulty on this game until they play Hard Core mode. No checkpoints and only 3 gamesaves the entire game. I beat it and it was extremely hard, but it was never frustrating. When you die in Dead Space it is because YOU MESSED UP. Not because the game cheated you.

It's like Super Meat Boy in the sense that you die when you mess up. You don't die when you do it right. It's hard but not unfair or broken.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

Sorry I don't see how this game is hard on normal. I only died a few times. Just use Kenisis on fast enimies and NEVER get cought corner.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
stop being bad :P I'm playing on impossible, now that's frustrating.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#47 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I thought it was a very easy game, and I was saving up money for no real reason, I could have just bought a lot of power nodes and medkits with all that money.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#48 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I Been playing on Normal & moving right a long, yeah died a few times but that happens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae8b59f75d1e
deactivated-5ae8b59f75d1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5ae8b59f75d1e
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts

Um, all of you saying "I'm at Chapter 5 and it's not that hard", just wait until chapter 13. The difficulty spikes to a much higher level, and the ammo drops are still lame. Why am I getting hundreds of flamer fuel when what I really need is ammo for some useful weapons?

I just beat it on Normal and must say the last 3 levels were not only hard, but so hard that it wasn't at all fun. I won't spoil anything but let's just say you meet up with a new friend and that friend is impossible to get rid of.

Yeah it's survival horror, but I set the game difficulty to Normal for a reason. I'm good, but I'm am no FPS ace. I want to be able to feel some accomplishment but not have my head bashed in over and over. Nobody here is complaining that the harder modes are too hard. That would be silly. I think everyone here is just a little miffed that Normal difficulty gets to be really hard towards the end.

This game starts so well and I really was planning on playing it again. That is until I got to the final chapters. I might re-play the beginning/middle but I do NOT want to go through that again.

For everyone barely halfway into the game, you just wait. The end-game is on another level. Come back when you're done and then you can comment.

J

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Um, all of you saying "I'm at Chapter 5 and it's not that hard", just wait until chapter 13. The difficulty spikes to a much higher level, and the ammo drops are still lame. Why am I getting hundreds of flamer fuel when what I really need is ammo for some useful weapons?MrandMrsGeek

Flamethrower is by far, one of the best weapon.