Blue Dragon received a 6.5/10 from EGM

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sjsamuraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sjsamuraii
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts
thoughts?
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
I read that like 2 weeks ago, I forgot what I thought then. I think it was "man EGM sucks as a magazine they always score different from everyone else"
AgileNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AgileNate
Member since 2003 • 2999 Posts
Thats EGM for ya, I like EGM but I cant always agree with their ratings since they seem to have mood swings when rating. One month they have decent review ratings and then the next its all low.
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts
After playing the demo for Blue Dragon, I think that sounds about right.
kdt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 kdt55
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts

After playing the demo for Blue Dragon, I think that sounds about right.Shrapnel99

I agree.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts
Yeah, buy Bioshock.
AgileNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AgileNate
Member since 2003 • 2999 Posts

After playing the demo for Blue Dragon, I think that sounds about right.Shrapnel99

I think the demo sucked, but I wont use that as a reason not to get the game. The demo gave you way to much of an advantage against the AI since the lvls and abilities were way bigger than what you would normally get at that part of the game. Because of this it was no challenge and boring to play.

Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts

[QUOTE="Shrapnel99"]After playing the demo for Blue Dragon, I think that sounds about right.AgileNate

I think the demo sucked, but I wont use that as a reason not to get the game. The demo gave you way to much of an advantage against the AI since the lvls and abilities were way bigger than what you would normally get at that part of the game. Because of this it was no challenge and boring to play.

I hate all turn based RPG's, so I'm biased ;)

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
Why i'm getting Eternal Sonata first and then we'll see what happens with this game. Maybe if i have some extra cash later in the year i'll pick it up.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
i thought it was going to get at last a 7
Tom_Brady860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tom_Brady860
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts
expected it, thses old school turn-based BS jrpgs are out dated now, Eternal Sonata will get WAY better score. and whose gonna buy blue dragon when Stranglehold and Bioshock are comming out
Shoitaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shoitaan
Member since 2003 • 627 Posts

And you fail to mention the other reviews that gave it 8-9/10 why? :)

Brian5517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brian5517
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts
EGM kicks ass, best game mag out there
hjart6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 hjart6
Member since 2004 • 627 Posts

That because blue dragon sucks....

Food_Nipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Food_Nipple
Member since 2003 • 8379 Posts
I've always said how crappy this game looks. I'm not the least bit surprised or in disagreement with this review score
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#16 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

The only reviewers I ever find myself ever agreeing with is Gamepro and occasionally Gameinformer, So I really don't care what EGM thinks of it. I've disagreed with alot of their reviews.

Blue Dragon has winner writen all over it. I've already preordered it. I think this game is going to be at least 8 material. And I normally favor games that get that kind of rating.

acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts

well, I think EGM is a very reliable source and once this game comes out im sure you will see why, so far from what we've seen and heard from this game, the graphics look just ok, almost like it could run on the Xbox, and the characters look like some people will be able to attach to them, and...It looks like another RPG game, so, Im sure if you really look at it from a reviewer perspective, you will agree with the score. But Im sure there will be some people who attach themselves to the game and the characters and strongly dissagree with the score. We will have to wait for the game to come out in a few weeks or so.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#18 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

expected it, thses old school turn-based BS jrpgs are out dated now, Eternal Sonata will get WAY better score. and whose gonna buy blue dragon when Stranglehold and Bioshock are comming outTom_Brady860

Me. By the way I wasn't at all empressed with Eternal Sonata. It fealt like ToS. Which isn't saying much. The main reason I'm getting Eternal Sanota is because of the story, not gameplay.

Blue Dragon on the other hand seems to have some decent gameplay and a good story.

StealthedRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StealthedRogue
Member since 2006 • 1341 Posts
First thing that came to mind was, "Saw it coming".
edflam311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 edflam311
Member since 2006 • 1806 Posts

i agree 100%. that game is weak

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

Blue Dragon will be amazing. The Chromehounds demo sucked too, didnt stop it from being one of my favorite 360 games. Sometimes a demo doesnt properly give a glimpse of the game.

To be dropped in the middle of an rpg with no sense of where you are or who the charactersis silly, of course it will seem dull.

MyndFlyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 MyndFlyte
Member since 2005 • 1103 Posts

[QUOTE="Shrapnel99"]After playing the demo for Blue Dragon, I think that sounds about right.kdt55

I agree.

I would also agree.

GungraveZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 GungraveZero
Member since 2004 • 2791 Posts
I'm still buying the game....after all....the whole "Shadowrun craze" proved games didn't need to have high scores for people to like them. Am I right?.......
zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts
honestly i think the game should of gotten a 7 its a decent rpg but its nothing great.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

After playing the demo, it seems fair to me. Eternal Sonata should rock the house, though.

jackvegas21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jackvegas21
Member since 2007 • 3157 Posts
EGM tend to be tough on games, unlike other magazines. Doesn't mean they are right or wrong, but the BD demo wasn't that good IMO
god_of_shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 god_of_shawn
Member since 2005 • 559 Posts
I had played Blue dragon, and i can say it is pretty nice. The graphics r good, espcially the water. But den again, IMO is just a last gen RPG game wif upgraded graphics. Next-gen RPGs = Sonta, Lost Odyssey
imperial_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 imperial_agent
Member since 2006 • 2195 Posts
the demo wasn't that great.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11948 Posts
Maybe it deserved that score. Anyone?
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
I only agree on one rating,mine.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I think it will get an 8.0 or above on Gamespot, and it's a definite buy for me. This is such a great year for RPG's. :)
god_of_shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 god_of_shawn
Member since 2005 • 559 Posts

I think it will get an 8.0 or above on Gamespot, and it's a definite buy for me. This is such a great year for RPG's. :)BioShockOwnz

I dun think this year is a great year for RPGs...IMO, the xbox360 has ony 2 nice RPGs for this year, sonta and LO. What about next year? 1 RPG only = Last Remnant. The PS3 has FFXIII, versus XIII, WKS and Last Remnant too.

racastro65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 racastro65
Member since 2006 • 1081 Posts

Thats EGM for ya, I like EGM but I cant always agree with their ratings since they seem to have mood swings when rating. One month they have decent review ratings and then the next its all low. AgileNate

I agree..

I heard a podcast from 1up and they are going to have a review soon, the person who is going to review it, thought the graphics and the fighting mechanics(blend of old and new school turnbase fighting) of this game are great and is one cool RPG thats going to appeal to all RPG fans..

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I think it will get an 8.0 or above on Gamespot, and it's a definite buy for me. This is such a great year for RPG's. :)god_of_shawn

I dun think this year is a great year for RPGs...IMO, the xbox360 has ony 2 nice RPGs for this year, sonta and LO. What about next year? 1 RPG only = Last Remnant. The PS3 has FFXIII, versus XIII, WKS and Last Remnant too.

In your opinion. ;)

This year is great for RPG's on the Xbox 360. I'm buying Two Worlds, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Lost Odyssey. Those are just the RPGs alone.There's no reason to list 2008 PS3 games on the 360 board, bud.

racastro65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 racastro65
Member since 2006 • 1081 Posts
[QUOTE="god_of_shawn"]

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I think it will get an 8.0 or above on Gamespot, and it's a definite buy for me. This is such a great year for RPG's. :)BioShockOwnz

In your opinion. ;)

This year is great for RPG's on the Xbox 360. I'm buying Two Worlds, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Lost Odyssey. Those are just the RPGs alone.There's no reason to list 2008 PS3 games on the 360 board, bud.

right on

Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts

Skies of Arcadia was one of the best JRPGs and it scored low, in general. I would've given it a 10, but the game doesn't appeal to the west. The same is true of BD, LO, and ES.

Japan needs to move forward. They need to look at Bioware.

Regardless, I have already pre-ordered BD, ES, and LO. I will judge for myself.

By the way Blue Dragon scored 10,9,9,9 in Famitsu, so it is a great JRPG.

Dreski83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38 Dreski83
Member since 2003 • 1104 Posts
After playing the demo I'm not too surprised either. It may not be fair to judge the overall game on a poorly setup demo, but then again I wasn't that excited about this game from the get go.
The 360 could really use as many rpg's as possible, no doubt about that. Yet I rather bet my money on something cheesy like Eternal Sonata or a lil more hardcore like Mass Effect 8)
DELTAsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DELTAsnake
Member since 2003 • 802 Posts
Remember a 6.5 on the 1up groups review scale is equil to about 7 - 8 on Gamespots scale. So 6.5 isn't a bad score.
Scroll-Lock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Scroll-Lock
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts
The game deserves higher, Not just bias either. The general production value and game length must require a higher score..
Scroll-Lock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Scroll-Lock

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I think it will get an 8.0 or above on Gamespot, and it's a definite buy for me. This is such a great year for RPG's. :)god_of_shawn

So you only like J-rpg's?

Well mass effect and bioshock are also rpgs Mate..

And they are easily superior to anything the ps3 has to offer. IMO.

stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
I really didn't like it...controls were terrible, but I did like the artistic design. It's a shame, I was really hoping this would be the next FFVII for me :P
Guannoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Guannoboy
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts
These days, turn based JRPG are really either a hit or miss. I grew up playing them, so I can really enjoy the game even though the pace is quite slow. But, at the same time I can understand why so many people don't like them. Even if the game isn't a great JRPG, there hasn't been a turn based RPG that caught my attention for a really long time. So, this will be a definite purchase for me, no matter what ratings it gets.
CC914

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CC914
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
So, i pre-ordered it and guess what, i'm going to give it a "try"
nemesis9632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nemesis9632
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts
I enjoyed at what the demo had to offer, and that was just a test drive of what the game was going to play like, and that's all it should be taken as. I for one am going to by this game, I haven't seen a good old fashion RPG for a good while that has caught my eye like this one. I won't be getting Eternal Sonata because it's not my style of game and that doesn't make me right or wrong. Same goes for the people over at EGM, they are people with an opinion. What do you expect, they get to play every game for every console so of course they are going to have high expectations from every game that they play.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac4063a659ae
deactivated-5ac4063a659ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 deactivated-5ac4063a659ae
Member since 2004 • 29 Posts
Well, I'm not a huge japanese RPG fan anymore and I wasnt blown away by the demo. But I think any game that can sellout 10k xbox360 bundles in Japan in one day cant be that bad. I'll probably try it out, the art is by Akira Toriyama and Dragon Warrior was the first console RPG I ever played so I'll see it first before judging.
Grende1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Grende1
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts

I grew tired of JRPG's a long time ago. I prefer the western ones like Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc. much more. However, I actually was somewhat impressed with the demo of Blue Dragon. Not because of the characters or story (didn't see much of that), but for turn based combat, I thought it was pretty deep. The graphics, IMO, were passable, but the complexity of the combat (again for turn-based combat) impressed me a bit.

Also, I don't trust EGM/1up at all. In fact, I agree with them the least of all gaming sources. They also seem to have a lot of fanboy tendancies, which I think influences a lot of what they do. I haven't read the review, by if the reviewer gave it a low score because he just doesn't like JRPGs, well that's retarded. The review should be based on how it is compared to others in its genre. You don't give a racer a low score because you only like fighting games, for example. Plus, Japanese reviewers gave it great scores as did the few European reviews so far, so until I see others scoring it like EGM/1up, then I am just going to ignore them like I normally do.Either way, the best way IMO to get a sense of a game, besides playing it yourself, is to average a bunch of reviews (like on metacritic or gamerankings). One review doesn't mean much to me.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts

I only care for Gamespots review.

I will be picking it up around launch nevertheless as i haven't played an Epic jrpg since FFX :(

Scroll-Lock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Scroll-Lock

I only care for Gamespots review.

I will be picking it up around launch nevertheless as i haven't played an Epic jrpg since FFX :(

blacktorn

It does share a few similarities with ffx one of the reasons I saw hope when playing the blue dragon demo..

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac4063a659ae
deactivated-5ac4063a659ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5ac4063a659ae
Member since 2004 • 29 Posts

Someone mentioned RPGs on the 360, I'd consider Overlord to be more RPG than Strategy and it was pretty entertaining. EGM seemed to give it an appropriate score(8.2), while Gamespot initially gave it a really low score(6 something) and than increased it a day or two later(7.5).

Game scores are all subjective, you generally need to read the review and judge for yourself whether you to listen to the person or not.

As for other RPGs on the 360, Shivering Isles was just an expansion but it was fairly long and in some ways more entertaining than the original game(both sites gave it good reviews).