Bioware vs. Bethesda: Battle of the western rpg Giants

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mankeyador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mankeyador
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

These two developers have have astounded me and many more developers for over a decade of awesome rpgs. Bethesda released it's first game, The Elder Scrolls: Arena in 1994. And Bioware released its first game, Shattered Steel in 1996. I would have included lionhead studios and blizzard in the comparison, but they make more than just rpgs. They tend to have a long history of strategy along with rpgs. Bethesda and Blizzard are the only ones that I know of that basically only do western rpgs.

Bethesda

+ They can create an awesome game atmosphere where the game comes to life

+ They make awesome sequels

+ They always incorporate great graphics

- They don't make many games outside TES series (with Fallout 3 as an exception, which I'm totally getting)

- Their stories lack Bioware's depth

Bioware Pros

+ They are amazing storytellers with awesome plots, twists and turns

+ Great characters and NPCs.

+ Great polish on their titles

- They tend to be weaker from a technical standpoint

- They lack the exploration and interaction that made Bethesda great

I admit this is probably as hard a decision as trying to choose between halo 3 and COD4. We 360 owners know how hard that is. But I would have to side with Bioware on this one. Who really can deliver such a thrilling rpg full of emotion and depth. I had the most awesome rpg experience with KOTOR.

:Spoiler:
When you find out you were the dark lord Revan the entire time I was like OMG.
Or in Jade empire when your master betrays you. They always have subtle hints to the main plot which always makes sense in the end.

:Spoiler end:

Maybe when Fallout 3 comes out my opinion will change but for now Bioware narrowly is still my favorite rpg maker. Not to say bethesda isn't awesome or anything. I would be sad if either of them stopped making games for the 360 and PC. So by all means tell me your opinion of the two.

SlashDementia3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SlashDementia3
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts
I'll have to go with Bioware on this one, the story telling is just great. Bethesda is awesome and has great lore to almost everything, but they went with a too player friendly game with Oblivion. I'm not saying it's bad, but it was just too easy at times (with the fast travel, compass telling you where to go, and such).
Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts

When you say BioWare tend to be weaker from a technical standpoint, I know you're talking about Mass Effect exclusively. NO OTHER BioWare game I've played (and I've played them all!) has had bad technical problems.

Anyway, BioWare would have to be my favourite so far. I've seen large amounts of Morrowind being played but never played it for more than an hour. Oblivion would be the first of their games that I've owned and played/completed. But I've been a big time fan of BioWare for years. And from what I've seen, their stories are so much more immersive and compelling. While Bethesda would be more about leveling and exploration.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

I'm not saying it's bad, but it was just too easy at times (with the fast travel, compass telling you where to go, and such).SlashDementia3

you know you can always NOT fast travel and there IS a difficulty slider.

And from what I've seen, their stories are so much more immersive and compelling. While Bethesda would be more about leveling and exploration.

Quintinius

i can agree with you in a since on that note if we compare the two. but i'll go with Bethesda on this one TES Morrowindand some what Oblivion are my favs. and im def. going to pick up fallout3. but i cant forget ME, jade empire or KotOR "ive wanted a game like ME for so long" (tho i dont think ME its better than Oblivion let alone Morrowind)

Wenolas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wenolas
Member since 2005 • 164 Posts

First of all, great thread topic, you hit it spot on with your pros and cons of each company. Second of all, are you allowed to ask a question like this? Thats like asking a parent who their favorite kid is. With that said, its a tough call. Both companies know how to make a quality game. They don't turn out good games, they turn out great games. At the end of the day, however, I feel Bioware's compelling storylines beat out Bethesda's epic, open ended Elder Scrolls series. The Knights of the Old Republic is my favorite game of all time so its only fair that I pick Bioware.

Avatar image for KittensWithBeer
KittensWithBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KittensWithBeer
Member since 2007 • 782 Posts
I'd take bethesda over bioware for one reason, their games always seem to have more content than bioware games. Thats not to say that i don't love bioware to death, but their games lack the content that bethesda provides.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
KOTOR made me love Bioware to death. I choose Bioware because i prefer sci-fi games. Kotor=Epic+Star wars which made it a double win.
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

KOTOR made me love Bioware to death. I choose Bioware because i prefer sci-fi games. Kotor=Epic+Star wars which made it a double win.craigalan23

hum and i thought i loved sci-fi i guess i just learned something about myself :P (i chose bethesda)

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
bethesda is better
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I'll have to say BioWare. Bethesda let me down with Oblivion, but hopefully they're redeem themselves with Fallout 3, which I think they will do a fine job with that. I'm looking forward to Dragonage as well, so my vote still comes down to BioWare. I loved Mass Effect.
SavoyPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 SavoyPrime
Member since 2003 • 41098 Posts
I prefer Bioware. Not only do I find their storylines to be better. I believe they make the better games. Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect were great games. I haven't been impressed with anything Bethesda has developed.
Firex777x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Firex777x
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts
i'll go with BioWare
gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts

Great thread topic mankeyador. You pretty much sum up the pros and cons in your post.

I think I would have to lean toward Bioware in this poll. I love the plots and characters in their games like Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and KOTOR. Wrex, Canderous, and HK-47 are some of the coolest RPG characters to have been introduced to gamers. Bioware gets a very slight edge over Bethesda. However, I couldn't go wrong picking a winner between these two companies. Both of these companies produce epic games. It's a win/win with this poll.

Your original post pretty much sums up a lot of what I want to say about both games :) Great topic for discussion.

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts
KOTOR = winner.

So Bioware
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

great topic and perfect points for each company imo.

however, KOTOR swings my vote to BioWare's side

nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts

story-wise = bioware

gameplay openeness wise = bethesda

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I have to go with Bioware. While Bethesda is still a very good developer, most of their games are very similar. Oblivion + Guns = Fallout 3.
quader_ac400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 quader_ac400
Member since 2007 • 801 Posts
Bioware even though the mass effect elavator rides drove me crazy
ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts
Bioware even though the mass effect elavator rides drove me crazyquader_ac400

At least they had interesting conversations during them
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Bioware does a better job at story telling and visuals then Bethesda, Bethesda did a better job with gameplay and replay value its hard to really pick one over the other one, they both are good at what they do, but I would give the edge to Bioware..just because of their amazing track record.
TigerFangRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 TigerFangRed
Member since 2005 • 1928 Posts
Imagine if they worked together on a game O_O
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
I got to agree TC, Bioware it is.
JohnnySN1P3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JohnnySN1P3R
Member since 2008 • 1916 Posts
Betheda for me. I've always been a TES fan and I can't wait for Fallout 3. But I hope MS puts KOTOR on Xbox Originals, I would download it in a heartbeat.
Snow7_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Snow7_77
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts

Bioware.

TES series is decent, I can see why so many people love it but I don't like the "Ok here you go have fun.I'll be back in.... never." feeling oblivion has. I like RPGs like KoTOR and Mass Effect that have a story you follow and you effect the story with your decisions, rather then the massive overwhelming feeling I got in oblivion. but I would never discredit the game, it's just not my cup of tea.

But no one beats Biowares story telling ability, been fiending for ME2 since I finished the first.

(Im still getting Fallout 3 though)

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#27 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I'll have to go with Bioware on this one, the story telling is just great. Bethesda is awesome and has great lore to almost everything, but they went with a too player friendly game with Oblivion. I'm not saying it's bad, but it was just too easy at times (with the fast travel, compass telling you where to go, and such).SlashDementia3

I agree. And Oblivion's world might have been big but it was empty. Most of it had nothing to do and the characters were not interesting.

Mass Effect was one of Bioware's weakest games. Baldurs Gate was amazing.

"I'd take bethesda over bioware for one reason, their games always seem to have more content than bioware games. Thats not to say that i don't love bioware to death, but their games lack the content that bethesda provides."

Neverwinter Knights and Baldurs Gate 2.

cupcake_JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cupcake_JR
Member since 2005 • 279 Posts
i like Bethesda more because morrowind was such an amazing game. Oblivion was great and all but they ruined it with fast travel, compass, monsters that level up with you (that one took the cake). i dunno it seems like it was "noobified". still a great game tho
Star-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Star-Killer
Member since 2008 • 1883 Posts
Due to the experience i had with KTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect I have to go with Bioware not that Bethesda isn't great Bioware is just better IMO
EvilAshTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EvilAshTwin
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts

Bioware easily wins this one, there really is no contest here, and Ill tell you why.

All Bethesda has (so far) is the The Elder Scrolls series, which didnt actually reach critical acclaim until Morrowind. That really showed off what they can do, however then they turned around and dropped the ball with a little game called Oblivion. Oblivion was a good unique game........................if youve never played Morrowind. To those of us who have played it, Oblivion was not refreshing, it was not unique, it was not good. What it was though, it was stale and boring. Hardly anything in Oblivion was changed from Morrowind, and most of the stuff that was changed, wasnt changed for the better. A previous person said it felt noobed up, I say it just felt watered down.

Thats what makes Bioware the better company, 1. Theyve already shown that within the RPG genre they can make different RPG's of different styles, and theyll turn out good. 2. You dont get the feeling like youve already done this before in a previous game while playing a different one. Even when playing BG2, I never got the feeling like Ive already done all of this in BG1.

So just because a company can pump out 1 or 2 (depending on who you ask) good sandbox games doesnt make them a better RPG company whose track record more than speaks for itself. Bethesda still has a lot to learn if they want to be known for something other that just Morrowind and Oblivion. Fallout 3 could go either way for them, they could be known as the company that resurrected the series, or they could be known as the company that put the final nail in the coffin.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
1. Theyve already shown that within the RPG genre they can make different RPG's of different styles, and theyll turn out good. 2. You dont get the feeling like youve already done this before in a previous game while playing a different one. Even when playing BG2, I never got the feeling like Ive already done all of this in BG1.EvilAshTwin
Though I love BG2 to death, say it's my favorite game of all time (over Fallout 2!) and would pick Bioware in this, I don't get all the people saying that Bioware's games are much more varied. They definitely do have a strong 'bioware' tinge to every wRPG they do in terms of protagonists, party members or NPC's you work with, and the general ebb and flow of conversations. For example, the way they handle good/evil in the games.. you're generally either a playground bully or a complete saint, and it's pretty blindingly obvious which is which in a conversation. Also, Daggerfall itself was critically acclaimed and absolutely loved, due in large part to a famous pc gamer demo - most of the initial reviews dinged it for being buggy, another Bethesda trait that goes hand in hand with the massive worlds. Being a complete and total PC game, however, most people on forums like this simply never heard about the game or series until it hit the original Xbox, and i guess assumed that the series wasn't good before then or something.
iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts
both bioware and besthesda are pretty Amazing
Alexander146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Alexander146
Member since 2005 • 722 Posts
Both are great Western RPG makers, but I slightly prefer Bioware because their games tend to be more varied and have superb stories (Mass Effect and Neverwinter Nights come to mind).
franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts
Can I combine them Bethware or Bioesda, these companies both pump out quality games. I tried to choose but I cant
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

i choose BioWare. I like that they do different things and not just same series over and over. Also they're great storytellers. Bethesda has talent too.. I loved Morrowind, but Oblivion was a dissapointment. Never had a chance to play Arena and Daggerfall so I can't say much about them. I hope that Fallout 3 will be a great game, but I feel some fear in my heart.

But I hope MS puts KOTOR on Xbox Originals, I would download it in a heartbeat.JohnnySN1P3R

I would be first one to download it. I never had the chance to play original KOTOR. I have KOTOR 2, which I love, but all people say that the first KOTOR is so much better.

gears90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gears90
Member since 2008 • 626 Posts
I would have to say Bethesda to be honest. Dont get me wrong Bioware is great and i loved Mass Effect and KOTOR. Bethesda though and i will admit that Oblivion is the only game by them, really brought something special. Oblivion had countless hours of gameplay and while the story wasnt exactly as good as Biowares stories it kept you intrested enough to want to play through it. Not to mention stunning graphics in a huge world where you can explore just about anything you want. I found the exploration in Mass Effect and KOTOR to be lacking. Especially the Citadel in ME, that place should have been a huge place to explore and instead you got a small little area. Hopefully ME2 will fix this. And while the graphics were good in these games they arent up to par with Bethesda. Bioware does have the story, but IMO the story isnt the most important part of a game its the gameplay. And while both are great WRPG developers, Bethesda gets my vote (especially if Fallout 3 turns out as amazing as its looking)
OJtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OJtime
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
Hmmm... it's a close one, but I'm going to have to go with BioWare. Mass Effect was just so amazing!
tangyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tangyorange
Member since 2005 • 349 Posts

I'm gonna have to disagree that bioware's games have a smaller scope. Their flagship RPG's are great, but the neverwinter nights series has an amazing mod creator and people are building amazing stories 24/7. I just stopped playing the first one and it was tons of fun.

Don't get me wrong though I love Bethesda and I'm gonna get Fallout for sure I tend to like their gameplay more.

I'm gonna have to go with Bioware on this on though.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
Bethesda seems to be more likely to water down their games for a more casual audience, so I respect Bioware more.
Desperados11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Desperados11
Member since 2004 • 525 Posts

bioware is great, gotta love those star wars rpg's

bethesda is amazing as well

hope they both continue making great games for the next millenium or so :D

Avatar image for NotQuiteHuman89
NotQuiteHuman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NotQuiteHuman89
Member since 2008 • 98 Posts
Bioware for the win, all because of the Baldur's Gate Series. Those games redefined what it was to be a character caught up in a story. And KOTOR is very, very good too.
eXists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#42 eXists
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
KOTOR = winner.

So Bioware
ethanpaige
dude117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dude117
Member since 2004 • 78 Posts

Bioware gets my vote. It's hard to argue with Bethesda's complete openness and exploration, but there's nothing to focus it making it feel dry and lacking of purpose. Their characters and NPC's are rediculously (sometimes hilariously) unconvincing, as well.

With Bioware's stuff, I actually feel incentive to move forward, and replay. I'm also far more driven to interact with characters, rather than just pushing through those sequences as fast as I can. Without that engagement, I can't go with Bethesda. The only thing I think Bioware could learn from Bethesda is to at least show some appreciation for open-world environments, exploration, and of course, technical quality.

I do have to put a word in for Lionhead, though! Despite the slightly patronizing obviousness and excessive humor of Fable 2, they showed an impressive sense of charm and beauty in their art design that I think more RPG's should include. They seem to know what matters and what doesn't when it comes to pleasing the eye, and that on it's own can keep you coming back for more.

(edit): Wow, I just realized how old this thread is. I found it in a Google search, so I wasn't paying attention... oh well, call me a necromancer.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts
I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye than play bethesda games. So theres the answer.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Bio-Ware by far. I think the main planet missions in Mass Effect and KOTOR are better than the big quests in Fallout 3 (Especially the back story quests in KOTOR). I like the combat of Mass Effect more and the main story of Mass Effect blows away Fallout 3. Bethsheda makes good games, but the only advantage they have is goofball gore, which could be seen as a con.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Look, i love Fallout 3 but with such a fascinating setting, couldn't they come up with a stronger storyline than "help your dad build the world's biggest brita filter?" Elder Scrolls have never featured very compelling stories, either. Also, while F3 was fun, first person is just not good for melee-based combat and the Elder Scrolls have proved this repeatedly.

Bioware usually tells great stories, and that's primarily why i pick up an RPG in the first place. I think they dropped the ball a bit with ME and JE but to really have this conversation, you have to go back to the days of Interplay when Bioware and Black Isle were producing the most phenomenal RPGs in the industry under the same roof. Torment (Black Isle) is still my favorite, but Baldur's Gate 2 comes very close.

BG2 shows Bioware's true potential as a game developer. BG2 was massive..so massive that you could spend so much time just doing subquests that you would literally forget what the main story was about (which happened to me). Some of them are simple dungeon raids, others would end with you owning a castle of your own, complete with staff that you would manage and quests involving said staff. I remember one where I think it was a guard was caught stealing money from me, but it turns out he did it to help pay for medicine for his family. There were so many decisions I could make here. I think I eventually chose to fire him, because I can't have guards stealing from me, but I also let him keep the money for his family. Another thing, people made a big deal about being able to get married and have a kid in Fable 2...yeah, BG2 did that almost 2 decades earlier. This is just one example of how BG2 was so far ahead of its time. It also had a lot of the things KotOR had such as dialogue trees and characters that responded to your actions. The combat system can be pretty much considered KotOR's great-grandaddy, but while KotOR is very similar in this regard, it's not nearly as deep or satisfying as BG2.

In many ways Bioware has never managed to reattain the heights it did with BG2, but seeing what they're doing with DragonAge and hearing the Bioware staff talking about getting back to their fantasy roots, I can't help but be excited. Bethesda is a pretty innovative company, but they just can't match Bioware at their best. Bioware also created Minsc and Boo...Bethesda just can't compete with that.

Avatar image for Un4givingAsault
Un4givingAsault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Un4givingAsault
Member since 2008 • 1053 Posts
I liked mass effect better than fallout 3, but elder scrolls is unreal and nothing can compare to it in the fantasy genre.
Icehearted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 Icehearted
Member since 2004 • 1461 Posts

Bioware games tend to feel shallow and insubstantial, as though nothing is really deeper than two or three lines of dialogue. Their games also feel really sterile, and nothing has a sense of being lived in.

Bethesda is synonymous with arbitrary, and their games feel unfocused, messy, glitchy, and sorely unpolished.

Frankly neither is, in my mind, better, they just each have their positives and their negatives. I really miss Black Isle though, that was a company that knew what a rpg should be.

Also, old thread:P

centruroides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 centruroides
Member since 2007 • 233 Posts

i only own bioware´s MASS EFFECT

and bethedsa´s TES Oblivion

i loved both games but i have around 400 hrs gameplay on Oblivion, and around 50 on mass effect...obviusly cuz i enjoyed more Oblivion...so

i give my vote to Bethedsa

even tho i loved oblivion, Fallout 3 is just sooo likely to Oblivion, kinda lack of imagination

i keep my vote anyway

VampirePoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VampirePoon
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I would Say Bethesda. I only recently got addicted to Fallout 3