Battlefield 3 Will Be On Two DVDs For Xbox 360

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OGNtertainment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OGNtertainment
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I guess this news kind of coincides with the recent attack from Sony about how Microsoft is defending ancient hardware technology. It's sort of true but in some regards not that big of deal when it comes to games like Battlefield 3. If you aren't planning on going with the superior PC version of the game there's still the option of playing it on the PS3 or Xbox 360. However, the 360 version of the game will apparently be packaged on two separate DVDs. This news bit comes courtesy of Gematsu, who picked up on a new Japanese sales print that shows the boxed retail copy of Battlefield 3 for the Xbox 360 and PS3. As of course, the PS3 version is shown to arrive on one Blu-ray disc, while the Xbox 360 version appears to broken down into two DVDs, more than likely one disc for the single-player and another disc for the multiplayer. Xbox 360 gamers shouldn't be strangers to the multi-disc treatment, as it has been a very reoccurring circumstance for a couple of big-budget games out there, including Mist Walker Studios' Xbox 360 exclusive, Lost Odyssey, or the recent open-world investigation drama from Team Bondi, L.A. Noire. The dual-disc for Battlefield 3 isn't shocking given that maybe unlike other games for the Xbox 360, DICE didn't want to do a complete down-sample and compress textures in order for the full game to fit on one disc. The sensible thing to do (and what it appears they did do) is break the multiplayer and single-player into two separate parts for the Xbox 360 version of the game in hopes of maintaining some of the game's much-talked about visual integrity. The game is rumored to be about 15 gigabytes, which is about 6 gigabytes over what a single Xbox 360 DVD can hold. Battlefield 3 is set for release on October 25th for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Gamers can pre-order the game to receive additional bonuses or you can simply learn more by heading on over to the Official Website.
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
I guess this news kind of coincides with the recent attack from Sony about how Microsoft is defending ancient hardware technology. It's sort of true but in some regards not that big of deal when it comes to games like Battlefield 3. If you aren't planning on going with the superior PC version of the game there's still the option of playing it on the PS3 or Xbox 360. However, the 360 version of the game will apparently be packaged on two separate DVDs. This news bit comes courtesy of Gematsu, who picked up on a new Japanese sales print that shows the boxed retail copy of Battlefield 3 for the Xbox 360 and PS3. As of course, the PS3 version is shown to arrive on one Blu-ray disc, while the Xbox 360 version appears to broken down into two DVDs, more than likely one disc for the single-player and another disc for the multiplayer. Xbox 360 gamers shouldn't be strangers to the multi-disc treatment, as it has been a very reoccurring circumstance for a couple of big-budget games out there, including Mist Walker Studios' Xbox 360 exclusive, Lost Odyssey, or the recent open-world investigation drama from Team Bondi, L.A. Noire. The dual-disc for Battlefield 3 isn't shocking given that maybe unlike other games for the Xbox 360, DICE didn't want to do a complete down-sample and compress textures in order for the full game to fit on one disc. The sensible thing to do (and what it appears they did do) is break the multiplayer and single-player into two separate parts for the Xbox 360 version of the game in hopes of maintaining some of the game's much-talked about visual integrity. The game is rumored to be about 15 gigabytes, which is about 6 gigabytes over what a single Xbox 360 DVD can hold. Battlefield 3 is set for release on October 25th for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Gamers can pre-order the game to receive additional bonuses or you can simply learn more by heading on over to the Official Website. OGNtertainment
i am thinking about not getting this because as you said the superior version is the pc one and i dont have no pc. i feel that i would be missing out.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts
[QUOTE="OGNtertainment"]I guess this news kind of coincides with the recent attack from Sony about how Microsoft is defending ancient hardware technology. It's sort of true but in some regards not that big of deal when it comes to games like Battlefield 3. If you aren't planning on going with the superior PC version of the game there's still the option of playing it on the PS3 or Xbox 360. However, the 360 version of the game will apparently be packaged on two separate DVDs. This news bit comes courtesy of Gematsu, who picked up on a new Japanese sales print that shows the boxed retail copy of Battlefield 3 for the Xbox 360 and PS3. As of course, the PS3 version is shown to arrive on one Blu-ray disc, while the Xbox 360 version appears to broken down into two DVDs, more than likely one disc for the single-player and another disc for the multiplayer. Xbox 360 gamers shouldn't be strangers to the multi-disc treatment, as it has been a very reoccurring circumstance for a couple of big-budget games out there, including Mist Walker Studios' Xbox 360 exclusive, Lost Odyssey, or the recent open-world investigation drama from Team Bondi, L.A. Noire. The dual-disc for Battlefield 3 isn't shocking given that maybe unlike other games for the Xbox 360, DICE didn't want to do a complete down-sample and compress textures in order for the full game to fit on one disc. The sensible thing to do (and what it appears they did do) is break the multiplayer and single-player into two separate parts for the Xbox 360 version of the game in hopes of maintaining some of the game's much-talked about visual integrity. The game is rumored to be about 15 gigabytes, which is about 6 gigabytes over what a single Xbox 360 DVD can hold. Battlefield 3 is set for release on October 25th for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Gamers can pre-order the game to receive additional bonuses or you can simply learn more by heading on over to the Official Website. redskins26rocs
i am thinking about not getting this because as you said the superior version is the pc one and i dont have no pc. i feel that i would be missing out.

The superior version is whichever one you play and deem the version you like.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#5 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I don't mind. Just means a whole disc for campaign, and a whole disc for MP. I kinda like it. :D
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

So, that means that the PC version will be coming with 2 discs as well, why is it just an xbox360 issue?

TwinMachetes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 TwinMachetes
Member since 2011 • 100 Posts

So, that means that the PC version will be coming with 2 discs as well, why is it just an xbox360 issue?

a55a55inx
Nah, PC users will just buy it on steam and download 14gig. 2 Disc > 14 gig download.
xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts
[QUOTE="a55a55inx"]

TwinMachetes
Nah, PC users will just buy it on steam and download 14gig. 2 Disc > 14 gig download.

No disc changing, 64 players, 60 fps, mods, mouse and keyboard, and PC optimisation> 2 discs.
SithLord5566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 SithLord5566
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts

I dont really mind if its on 2 DVD's, just as long as i install both on my harddrive the disc changes shouldnt be too much of a waste of time, unless is single player 1 disc, multiplayer on the other. In that case who cares.

TwinMachetes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TwinMachetes
Member since 2011 • 100 Posts
[QUOTE="TwinMachetes"][QUOTE="a55a55inx"]

xXShortroundXx

No disc changing, 64 players, 60 fps, mods, mouse and keyboard, and PC optimisation> 2 discs.

And for me gaming on a big Tv relaxing on the couch > Everything you just listed.
Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serial-No_3404
Member since 2007 • 2876 Posts
[QUOTE="TwinMachetes"][QUOTE="xXShortroundXx"][QUOTE="TwinMachetes"] Nah, PC users will just buy it on steam and download 14gig. 2 Disc > 14 gig download.

And for me gaming on a big Tv relaxing on the couch > Everything you just listed.

Hook up PC to TV and get a lapdesk, problem solved. Hell you can use a gamepad probably but get owned. I'm gonna probably get both the Xbox and PC versions of the game so I can play at my leisure which ever way I desire. And to stay on topic...I don't mind if they separate SP and MP onto separate discs. It gives me one less menu to go through when playing MP. Makes my gaming on console a tad easier.
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
It would be a pain if multiplayer was spread across two disks. I'll keep my 360 pre-order as is. I would get it for PS3, but prefer the 360 controller for shooters.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="xXShortroundXx"][QUOTE="TwinMachetes"][QUOTE="a55a55inx"]

You act like playing MP FPS's is better with a mouse and keyboard. Its not.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
pc version from the start...
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i already preorder 360 version
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
Oh man, my back will be BREAKING from changing those two discs. How could MS allow something like this? :P
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
[QUOTE="xXShortroundXx"][QUOTE="TwinMachetes"] Nah, PC users will just buy it on steam and download 14gig. 2 Disc > 14 gig download.firefox59

M&K is really lame.
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

Am I the only one who read this and got more excited for this game? Because of the two disc approach, they won't be doing near as much compression. The two disc approach will lend to better visuals, stability, and textures simply because of the lesser compression.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Hmm, not a deal-breaker for me but I'm not really thrilled about this. I'm a bit surprised that a game like Battlefield 3 takes 2 discs, while Skyrim on the other hand (a huge game) is only taking up one.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HilbillyRokstar

Hmm, not a deal-breaker for me but I'm not really thrilled about this. I'm a bit surprised that a game like Battlefield 3 takes 2 discs, while Skyrim on the other hand (a huge game) is only taking up one.

Vari3ty
That's because BF3 has a LOT more complex coding.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

If you aren't planning on going with the superior PC version of the game OGNtertainment
I stopped reading here.

On topic: 2 disks? Well, doesn't really bother me, some people might be annoyed by it.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="xXShortroundXx"][QUOTE="TwinMachetes"] Nah, PC users will just buy it on steam and download 14gig. 2 Disc > 14 gig download.firefox59

If you know how to use it then it's way better when it comes to accuracy. You may not prefer it but it is better.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="firefox59"] You act like playing MP FPS's is better with a mouse and keyboard. Its not.Spellingiscool
M&K is really lame.

Just because you're not coordinated enough to use that combo doesn't mean it sucks. There's a reason why people that use controllers on PC FPS's get destroyed.

Actually, it takes more coordination and skill to use a controller. Anybody can move a mouse and push buttons (I'm doing it right NOW). The reason m&k wins against the controller is because it is quicker and easier to do.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

[QUOTE="Spellingiscool"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]M&K is really lame.HilbillyRokstar

Just because you're not coordinated enough to use that combo doesn't mean it sucks. There's a reason why people that use controllers on PC FPS's get destroyed.

Actually, it takes more coordination and skill to use a controller. Anybody can move a mouse and push buttons (I'm doing it right NOW). The reason m&k wins against the controller is because it is quicker and easier to do.

Wow, this post is sig worthy for how incredibly wrong it is.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]

[QUOTE="Spellingiscool"] Just because you're not coordinated enough to use that combo doesn't mean it sucks. There's a reason why people that use controllers on PC FPS's get destroyed. Spellingiscool

Wow, this post is sig worthy for how incredibly wrong it is.

Whateva. Just because you believe does not make it a fact.

Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
Mouse and keyboard maybe better in terms of competitive gaming, but I get far more enjoyment using a controller.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="xXShortroundXx"] No disc changing, 64 players, 60 fps, mods, mouse and keyboard, and PC optimisation> 2 discs.Darkslayer16

If you know how to use it then it's way better when it comes to accuracy. You may not prefer it but it is better.

*Please see my statement above.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darkslayer16

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] You act like playing MP FPS's is better with a mouse and keyboard. Its not.HilbillyRokstar

Mouse and keyboard is better and more accurate.. that's not an opinion that's a fact. I don't even like kb/m with some games but that doesn't change the fact that it performs better.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Darkslayer16

Mouse and keyboard is better and more accurate.. that's not an opinion that's a fact. I don't even like kb/m with some games but that doesn't change the fact that it performs better.

Accuracy does not always equate to better. Otherwise every hunter would use something like a .22 LR. That's a blanket statement, not a fact.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darkslayer16

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"] *Please see my statement above.

HilbillyRokstar

Accuracy does not always equate to better. Otherwise every hunter would use something like a .22 LR. That's a blanket statement, not a fact.

In a shooter yes it does.. if you can't hit anything then it's a failure. The only reason controllers are as easy to use as they are is you get extreme amounts of aim assist and larger hit boxes to the point it takes little to no skill. Kb/m will always be better for FPS, MMO and RTS games and nothing will change that.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Darkslayer16

In a shooter yes it does.. if you can't hit anything then it's a failure. The only reason controllers are as easy to use as they are is you get extreme amounts of aim assist and larger hit boxes to the point it takes little to no skill. Kb/m will always be better for FPS, MMO and RTS games and nothing will change that.

How do people hunt where you live? A shotgun has a larger hit box and a rifle more accurate. Both are equally good for different users. As a person that started using twin stick controllers in my 30s, mouse & keyboard is much simpler, with a gentler learning curve. Not better, just easier and quicker.

tornado711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tornado711
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I HATE IT WHEN THEY PUT TWO DISCS FOR ONE GAME.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Darkslayer16

Accuracy is irrelevant. If thats your definition of better then fine, but 'better' is an opinionated word, not fact. On top of this, I resent that games with sticks have different hit boxes or aim assist, thats just made up and flat out wrong.

Hardcore PC-shooter fanatics still lament the genre's Great Console Migration, and they maintain that the controller provides only a fraction of the mouse's precision. Almost certainly, this is true. But Bleszinski understood something vital: If the shooter is about a visceral connection between player and avatar, action and reaction, perhaps nosing a mouse along a felt pad was a poor approximation of the shooting experience. Perhaps the approximation of holding a big rattling piece of hot and deafeningly noisy metal made precision somewhat beside the point. Perhaps the messier controls of the console shooter actually had the potential to make shooting profounder, somehow. Many developers who went from PC to console shooters never understood the necessity of this leap and thus never made it themselves.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Overlord93

Accuracy is irrelevant. If thats your definition of better then fine, but 'better' is an opinionated word, not fact. On top of this, I resent that games with sticks have different hit boxes or aim assist, thats just made up and flat out wrong.

Hardcore PC-shooter fanatics still lament the genre's Great Console Migration, and they maintain that the controller provides only a fraction of the mouse's precision. Almost certainly, this is true. But Bleszinski understood something vital: If the shooter is about a visceral connection between player and avatar, action and reaction, perhaps nosing a mouse along a felt pad was a poor approximation of the shooting experience. Perhaps the approximation of holding a big rattling piece of hot and deafeningly noisy metal made precision somewhat beside the point. Perhaps the messier controls of the console shooter actually had the potential to make shooting profounder, somehow. Many developers who went from PC to console shooters never understood the necessity of this leap and thus never made it themselves.

[/QUOTE Agreed, many of my favorite console games have had little to no aim assist and hit boxes as small as anything on PC.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Agreed, many of my favorite console games have had little to no aim assist and hit boxes as small as anything on PC.

HilbillyRokstar

Name them.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HilbillyRokstar
Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 and 2 for starters.
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Im pretty sure that the discs will simply be 1 for Campaign and 1 for Multiplayer. I dont see the huge deal with this at all.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HilbillyRokstar
MAG for another.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HilbillyRokstar
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising for still another. . . Satisfied?
ch2423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ch2423
Member since 2004 • 1978 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Darkslayer16

I'm gonna need to see some government funded research with clinical trials to prove this as fact.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 firefox59

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Darkslayer16

Yes it's more accurate but that doesn't make them better or more fun. Anyone can just point and shoot with a mouse, it's boring. Nothing wrong with mouse and kb for single player but more MP it makes it about who has the better mouse. Anyone without a prof. mouse will lose most confrontations. A controller requires more skill. And I always play with aim assist off. I hate aim assist.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising for still another. . . Satisfied?HilbillyRokstar

LOL!

What on earth makes you think those games don't feature truck sized hit boxes and aim assists?

As for scientific data?

Well, back when the xbox 360 was about to be released Microsoft planned on allowing PC and xbox live gamers to play together.

This is well documented, you can google it, but essentially they got some top competitive console gamers with gamepads, and run of the mill PC gamers with mouse and keyboard. These weren't pros vs pros.

Guess what happenned? PC gamer pwned the console gamers so badly, MS did an about face and dismatled it's plans for cross platform gaming.

QED.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising for still another. . . Satisfied?Kinthalis

LOL!

What on earth makes you think those games don't feature truck sized hit boxes and aim assists?

As for scientific data?

Well, back when the xbox 360 was about to be released Microsoft planned on allowing PC and xbox live gamers to play together.

This is well documented, you can google it, but essentially they got some top competitive console gamers with gamepads, and run of the mill PC gamers with mouse and keyboard. These weren't pros vs pros.

Guess what happenned? PC gamer pwned the console gamers so badly, MS did an about face and dismatled it's plans for cross platform gaming.

QED.

It is REALLY simple to use a mouse, that's why I don't care for it. BTW, have you played ANY of the console games I mentioned? MAG has NO AIM ASSIST, and the other three have very little. If you wanna find out what skill is, hit me up for TDM on Rainbow Six Vegas 1 or 2, I'll show you a thing or two. PS3 or 360, your choice. A 3 year old can use a mouse. That's about 2 years younger than when they can use thumbsticks. A boat can outrun a jetski, but which is better? It's obvious which one takes more skill. It's the same with controllers. Easier's not better, just easier.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#49 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
[QUOTE="a55a55inx"]

TwinMachetes

It's not going to be on Steam, it's going to be on EA origin. And not every single PC gamer will be purchasing a downloadable version. If that were the case EA wouldn't release it at retail at all for PC. And it will likely be installed like MOST games are so there wont be disc swapping. Regardless, the 360 version will probably have one disc for campaign and another for multiplayer, so it really wont be that inconvenient. Even less inconvenient if they do it like Forza 3 where if you install the second disc you'll only ever need one disc in the box.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 firefox59

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising for still another. . . Satisfied?Kinthalis

LOL!

As for scientific data?

QED.

No one is saying that a controller is faster than a mouse. Obviously. You can't pit two different input mediums against one another and expect even results.