Bad reviews on reach

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

Well most people agree that halo reach is just pure awesomeness on a dvd. But I've noticed a lot of hate for it as well.

Basically what I want to know is why all the hate? I've been reading the bad user reviews and I've still yet to figure out why they dont like it since all you seem to find in them is people saying they dont like it and its a disaster in gaming form BUT never WHY...

So what do you think?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it too much man. Half the time the people that are saying these things are just PS3 fanboys. Or have nothing better to do but bash Halo. The truth is that Bungie did a great job on this game, they did everything right and they deserve all the praise they get.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

I just bought the limited edition 360 boundle with reach and so far i have to say i m dissapointed, the graphics arent on par with today standards, the gameplay is simple ( same old same old since the first halo ) not saying it aint fun but i expected more from this game since it was so praised by the gaming community. The online is a blast Tho.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 penpusher

I just bought the limited edition 360 boundle with reach and so far i have to say i m dissapointed, the graphics arent on par with today standards, the gameplay is simple ( same old same old since the first halo ) not saying it aint fun but i expected more from this game since it was so praised by the gaming community. The online is a blast Tho.

Solid_Tango
ahh now we're talking reasons. Thankyou. But I dont acctually understand your points. How are the graphics below par? they pack tons of detail and the enviroments are very expansive and halo gameplay has always been simple...its just an FPS not a sim :S
red-ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 red-ray
Member since 2008 • 882 Posts
They're mainly ps3 fanboys (same goes for bad reviews about uncharted 2). Look at their profile and xbox live gamercard(if they have any). some of them never played the game.
SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SmokieX
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts

I'm loving everything about Reach so far. I only made it to mission 7 and I think and the campaign is pretty epic. Online is where the funs at. If you can get a party going it's a blast. Now I didn't enjoy Halo 3 that much, but Reach makes me want to go back and give it another chance. Compared to MW2, I think Halo takes way more skill. Nothing feels beter than taking out a guy with well placed shots from the DMR or a sniper rifle.

Sheplerizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sheplerizer
Member since 2010 • 92 Posts

Solid_Tango

This sort of talk is exactly why I made a topic about whether people weigh SP or MP higher when deciding whether a game is "good" or not.

You state that you are dissapointed with the game, yet then proceed to claim that multiplayer is a blast. The singleplayer on halo, while loved by many, isn't the main reason the game is so popular, so loved. Its all in the online features, which btw you claim are a blast. So why the dissapointment? If you were one of those people that didn't play online I'd understand.

And I see this happening ALL THE TIME. People claim the game is a flop, dissapointment, horrible, etc etc. And then in the same breath they're like "The matchmaking is cray good though." As if Halo MP were an afterthought.

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

Solid_Tango

It was always gonna be Halo gameplay which is fun andfrantic, solid and increadibly smooth you surley must have seen the videos of gameplay before you bought it. How would You change it then??? Really Iwant to know, I really dont know what your talking about the graphics, I think its time for some glasses or invest in an HD/TV. Your more thanentitled to your opinion and im not saying you should'nt, But I just dont get it. you say online is a blast and apart from the armour abilities the gameplay is exactly the same as previous Halo's yet you spent money on getting a limited edition console with Halo all over it and I quote you again "same old same old since the first Halo" if thats your thoughts on the franchise I ask again why bother buying it?

Cheveros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cheveros
Member since 2007 • 140 Posts

The game is called Halo, and Halo is what you get - you can't really be critical of a game that plays like the rest of the series. As for the simplicity, the original halo set the standard for basically every first person shooter in the last decade. As for bad reviews, Halo is about as mainstream as it gets - there are always people who will be looking to criticise such releases just because of the hype and the expectation

charleswbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 charleswbrown
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts

Makes sense...

I do think the graphics aren't up to todays standards. The pre-rendered area's kinda' bore me a bit... the action packed movies look great but generally the game doesn't make a huge graphical step from Halo3... and the gameplay is much the same too.

I enjoyed the SP.. MP bores me a little but I think im just tired of FPS' at the moment....

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 penpusher

Makes sense...

I do think the graphics aren't up to todays standards. The pre-rendered area's kinda' bore me a bit... the action packed movies look great but generally the game doesn't make a huge graphical step from Halo3... and the gameplay is much the same too.

I enjoyed the SP.. MP bores me a little but I think im just tired of FPS' at the moment....

charleswbrown
I dont know what people are expecting the graphics to make a massive evolutionary leap from halo 3...first of all its using the halo 3 engine, second the 360 is starting to show its age, its a 5 year old console now. You look at any recent or up comming sequal and you see they arent improving as dramatically as previous iterations were doing...
charleswbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 charleswbrown

Well.. its just that Halo3's graphics weren't amazing either.. Halo is a pre-rendered game (surroundings) so they probably thought with all the huge hype surrounding Reach that it'd be amazing. They're good visuals but yeah... very Halo3 like.. and as you said its using the Halo3 Engine and its an old console.

Its still a good game, I wouldn't have given it 10 or 9.5 though. But thats just my view.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Not that I really take reviews to heart very often, I still find it downright bizarre that Reach is onlya 92 on Metacritic.

Theres of course plenty of perfect scores but some idiot critic rated it 50. 50?!?

That fella should be shot. Or at least banned from ever again writing a journalistic piece about any video game to ever be released.Ever.

Fair enough that its his own opinion and he's entitled to the bloody thing but there is absolutley no way a game of some highly-tuned quality with such rich and robust features can be given such a low score. It thus puts it on par with games like Shrek the Third(?).

He reminds of those fools you get here, writing reviews about Reach(and any other Halo) and giving it one out of ten. How do they expect to be taken seriously? For some pathetic little reason, they see it as their God-given duty to befoul the name Halo. It is very, very sad. How can they personally have something against a collection of pixels and code?! I swear, it absolutely boggles my mind.

Hmm, probably shoulda blogged this.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

[QUOTE="charleswbrown"]

Makes sense...

penpusher

I dont know what people are expecting the graphics to make a massive evolutionary leap from halo 3...first of all its using the halo 3 engine, second the 360 is starting to show its age, its a 5 year old console now. You look at any recent or up comming sequal and you see they arent improving as dramatically as previous iterations were doing...

Reach has a completely new engine with bits and bobs taken from Halo 3's. But for the most part its brand spankin new.

And I think its graphics are just lovely:P

charleswbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 charleswbrown

Not that I really take reviews to heart very often, I still find it downright bizarre that Reach is onlya 92 on Metacritic.

Theres of course plenty of perfect scores but some idiot critic rated it 50. 50?!?

That fella should be shot. Or at least banned from ever again writing a journalistic piece about any video game to ever be released.Ever.

Fair enough that its his own opinion and he's entitled to the bloody thing but there is absolutley no way a game of some highly-tuned quality with such rich and robust features can be given such a low score. It thus puts it on par with games like Shrek the Third(?).

He reminds of those fools you get here, writing reviews about Reach(and any other Halo) and giving it one out of ten. How do they expect to be taken seriously? For some pathetic little reason, they see it as their God-given duty to befoul the name Halo. It is very, very sad. How can they personally have something against a collection of pixels and code?! I swear, it absolutely boggles my mind.

Hmm, probably shoulda blogged this.

balfe1990
Nah I agree... they usually just do it just to be noticed or they've hated the series from the get-go... I tend to love reading the really bad reviews and they're usually sooo stupid!
IzzieWaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IzzieWaru
Member since 2010 • 905 Posts

[QUOTE="Solid_Tango"]

Sheplerizer

This sort of talk is exactly why I made a topic about whether people weigh SP or MP higher when deciding whether a game is "good" or not.

You state that you are dissapointed with the game, yet then proceed to claim that multiplayer is a blast. The singleplayer on halo, while loved by many, isn't the main reason the game is so popular, so loved. Its all in the online features, which btw you claim are a blast. So why the dissapointment? If you were one of those people that didn't play online I'd understand.

And I see this happening ALL THE TIME. People claim the game is a flop, dissapointment, horrible, etc etc. And then in the same breath they're like "The matchmaking is cray good though." As if Halo MP were an afterthought.

So are people only supposed to play one or the other? Having great multiplayer isn't going to brainwash anyone into noticing the campaign was actually pretty mediocre.

charleswbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 charleswbrown

Again, agreed.

Tons of people I know just played COD MW2's MP..and never finished the Campaign. Of course I think they're missing out.. and same for Halo.. I enjoyed the campaign but it was nothing compared to the likes of Half Life 2 or something (which I still play)... I think its very good at what it does but I still don't like the fact you can just run around the enemies, flick the switch or pass the checkpoint and then the mission is over. Just doesn't seem riveting enough.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
I pay NO attention to user reviews. They're too biased, good or bad.
aeklagonisi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aeklagonisi
Member since 2008 • 121 Posts

Well there are some people who are fanboys of other games and they hate reach cause it steals attention from their favourite games. That doesnt mean that reach isnt awesome.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I pay NO attention to user reviews. They're too biased, good or bad.DJ_Magneto
Exactly I have never trusted one in my life unless it is from a person whom I actually trust to not be biased.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

reasons for the hatred...

PC snob

Wii fanboy

PS3 fanboy

not good at halo and not learning to get better

think there cool and stand out to hate a popular game

graphic whores

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts

PC snob

Wii fanboy

PS3 fanboy

graphic whores

BLAS1AN
You forgot COD fanboy :lol:
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BLAS1AN

^

oh yeah. thanks. cant beleive I left that out, lol :shock:

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

Some of them are PS3 fanboys, some are people trying to get attention, and some just don't like the game for some werid reason.:shock:

charleswbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 charleswbrown

PC snob

Wii fanboy

PS3 fanboy

graphic whores

BLAS1AN
Nope, none of those! :)
Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

Well most people agree that halo reach is just pure awesomeness on a dvd. But I've noticed a lot of hate for it as well.

Basically what I want to know is why all the hate? I've been reading the bad user reviews and I've still yet to figure out why they dont like it since all you seem to find in them is people saying they dont like it and its a disaster in gaming form BUT never WHY...

So what do you think?

penpusher

LOL there is your problem right there... Don't every listen to user reviews they are not professional reviewers for one. For two most user reviews are just halo trolls that want to bash the game and not put out an actual review. according to metacritic.com the game got a 92 score. It also was reviewed by 61 reviewers, 59 of which gave it a positve review and only 2 gave it a mixed review. It had NOOOOOO bad reviews. Halo reach is the best halo game hands down...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
"Haters gonna hate." It's self-explanatory.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BLAS1AN

[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

PC snob

Wii fanboy

PS3 fanboy

graphic whores

charleswbrown

Nope, none of those! :)

so your biggest gripe with reach is the long time it takes to start a game in slayer and that its not "amazing" enough? I was hoping for more game play mechanics and more key features to be included in your review. There are so many game types and customizations that you failed to mention.Of course your entitled to your opinion but you left out the key ingredients that makes the halo franchise the top most played game on LIVE. Your review falls short

charleswbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 charleswbrown
No, I just decided to concentrate on the most common game type... I didn't want to do a huge review, I reviewed the stuff I play most on. Tons of games have so many levels reviewers don't concentrate on and I'm sure Gamespot or IGN havent explored them all. It is a decent game but I felt the game fell short more than my review. Remember you can promote ANYTHING and it will become huge. If you personally spent $100million dollars promoting the keyboard which you type on.. your keyboard would be very famous I assure you of that (I work in entertainment and see many things promoted that aren't good but become huge) so it being the most played game on LIVE isn't a decent pointer in my opinion. And its Microsoft's baby.. so they're gonna' push it. Either way, I love the Halo Franchise (minus ODST) and it was that and the fact the XBOX got the DLC's for GTA IV first which made me purchase the console.
uberpunage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 uberpunage101
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

I don't know, but in my school of 1,400+ high schoolers I've only heard Reach Mentioned once, followed by "That game sucks!" from everybody around that person.

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

No, I just decided to concentrate on the most common game type... I didn't want to do a huge review, I reviewed the stuff I play most on. Tons of games have so many levels reviewers don't concentrate on and I'm sure Gamespot or IGN havent explored them all. It is a decent game but I felt the game fell short more than my review. Remember you can promote ANYTHING and it will become huge. If you personally spent $100million dollars promoting the keyboard which you type on.. your keyboard would be very famous I assure you of that (I work in entertainment and see many things promoted that aren't good but become huge) so it being the most played game on LIVE isn't a decent pointer in my opinion. And its Microsoft's baby.. so they're gonna' push it. Either way, I love the Halo Franchise (minus ODST) and it was that and the fact the XBOX got the DLC's for GTA IV first which made me purchase the console.charleswbrown

See listen to this guy he has no idea what he is talking about and made a user review like i said DO NOT LISTEN TO USER REVIEWS. They are bad reviews that only cover part of a game and have a bias.

jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

Why do you care what someones opinion is on the game? I personally dislike Halo's multiplayer, therefore I IMHO think the game is trash. I don't have to say why, because there is no why, I just don't like it. So you like it, good, but why are you crying about someone bashing your game instead of playing it?

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Why do you care what someones opinion is on the game? I personally dislike Halo's multiplayer, therefore I IMHO think the game is trash. I don't have to say why, because there is no why, I just don't like it. So you like it, good, but why are you crying about someone bashing your game instead of playing it?

jad206

Chugging down that haterade.

uberpunage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uberpunage101
Member since 2009 • 436 Posts

[QUOTE="jad206"]

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Dude sometimes you just need to STFU

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#36 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

because you dont play as master chief i suppose,

ne how it does lack change if you know what i mean so keep chugging the goldeneye haterade

lol because come nov golden eye will prove that halo is not a revolution any more

MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
And of course everyone has to like it and different people don't have different opinions...
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
And of course everyone has to like it and different people don't have different opinions...MystikRex
Well they should say why they hate it in the review, most of he time they seem to get side-tracked by talking about other games. User reviews are trash go read some most of them are terrible.
SpideySenze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SpideySenze
Member since 2010 • 77 Posts
reach is a great game forget about those ps3 fanboys and those halohaters ;p
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BLAS1AN

. Remember you can promote ANYTHING and it will become huge. If you personally spent $100million dollars promoting the keyboard which you type on.. your keyboard would be very famous I assure you of that (I work in entertainment and see many things promoted that aren't good but become huge) so it being the most played game on LIVE isn't a decent pointer in my opinion. And its Microsoft's baby.. so they're gonna' push it. Either way, I love the Halo Franchise (minus ODST) and it was that and the fact the XBOX got the DLC's for GTA IV first which made me purchase the console.charleswbrown

yes advertising plays a part into hyping people to buy products but Halo 3 was mostly #1 on Xbox LIVE for 3 years straight. That kind of longevity proves that the game is still appealing years after release. You cant deny that. Sony advertising for Killzone 2 didnt spark any record sells for that franchise. It fell well below what they wanted.

No other console developer provides more for its community then Bungie (maps, matchmaking, patches, downloadable freebies, community web site, file sharing)

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I have no problems with a bad review. No single game is going to please everyone. That's how the world works.

But after reading the whole review, it's can become pretty clear if someone is just trolling or hasn't played the game. I will discredit that review because it gets some facts wrong or isn't articulate enough to explain why the game wasn't good.

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

[QUOTE="ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ"]

[QUOTE="jad206"]

uberpunage101

Dude sometimes you just need to STFU

Cool story bro. /cookie

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

There is a different from a rant, praise and review. A rant you just explain what is you do not like about the game. For example, "COD:MW2 level look dull and plain" A praise is only saying that you think is good. The include "COD:MW2 have a large amount of details in its look." In a review, you tell what you found both good and bad in the game. Like saying "In COD:MW2 the game have detail look but it has a boring art style."

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

jad206

Then again, you're not publishing your opinion for the sole purpose of broadcasting it to the world. So no, you're not obligated to explain yourself.

For reviewers, that's their job. And unfortunately, it's obvious that they're either trolling or aren't good enough writers to convey their thoughts sufficiently.

Hickamie14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 Hickamie14
Member since 2007 • 1652 Posts

This is easilly explained. Halo: Reach is the culmination of 10 years of work. It is pure, perfect, Halo bliss. All of the great reviews were made by fans of the series who find everything in Reach excellent because they enjoy Halo. The bad reviews come from people who aren't big fans of Halo, so the pure Halo bliss I was talking about doesn't really effect them because they don't like Halo anyway.

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

I dont hate the game at all, i'd say its a solid 8.5 game but nowhere near the hype. I hear a lot of talk about how balanced the game is which is true as far as the weapons are concerned. The campaign difficulty is completely out of whack though. There are plenty of points in the game with noticable frame rate drops and yet this isnt mentioned in most reviews. I still feel that there are plenty of improvements over the previous games though. Just my opinion.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It seam that some was expecting a next next gen game from Halo reach.

iownxbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iownxbox
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I dont like halo reach, for many reasons. It feels just like halo3 to me, but with the ability to run. This ability is good, but all the others are pointless. The campaign was better in halo3, a step down. The graphics are nearly the same. I keep getting kicked from games if I accidently kill my team mate, easy to do with a rocket. Then the other day bungie ban me from matchmaking for killing team mates and disconnecting. Nothing I could help. Everytime someone leaves the game the whole thing freezes for like 2 minutes, so **** annoying. The other day people kept leaving big team battle and the game just kept freezing for in total around 10 minutes. I got pissed and left and bungie ban me. WTF!. The gameplay is a joke, takes far too many bullets to kill someone. Its just too easy to duck into cover, all combat is close quarters. The daily challanges are horrible, why must bungie force me to play game modes I dont like, just to level up. The matchmaking is worse, again they force me to play gamemodes I dont want to. I try and play free for all and just keep getting stuck in a stupid infection lobby. Ive gone back to cod, staying away from this horrible game.
Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zune_HD
Member since 2010 • 1144 Posts

I ignore the critics. Reach is my personal GOTY. Hell, GTAIV has a 98 on metacritic and won numerous GOTY, but it's my least favorite in the series.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I'm baffled at how it got a 5 from Gameshark and saying it has a terrible campaign and not worth full price.