Anyone getting Lost Odyssey?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jriddle89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 jriddle89
Member since 2004 • 1209 Posts

The recent reviews seem very....average for this game. Is anybody planning to get this? I was looking into it but I don't know now...

What is your opinion on the game?

Thanks!

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
I'm not sure anymore. I was going to get it, but I decided just to wait for AO2 and RSV2 and maybe pick this up as a game to play in the summer since it is a 4 disc game.
quader_ac400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 quader_ac400
Member since 2007 • 801 Posts
No it looks stupid.
wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
ya i'm in need of somthing drastically different. and i don't see why ppl are knocking the gameplay for not doing things differently, i mean look at cod4, that game did nothing different and didn't have a story as far as i'm concerned and everyone in NA loves that game...
Darkzero6x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Darkzero6x2
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
im grabbing it. every review I've seen based on this game says the story is amazing and its actually the first true next gen jrpg . im picking it up sometime next week
ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
Im broke :( so I cant get it...yet
ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ronnet
Member since 2003 • 9637 Posts
The reviews are better then I expected and their biggest complain is that it's just another JRPG but since I havent played one of those in a long time I think I'll pick it up. And reviews agree with it's a dark and mature story, it's all excederated but that's common in a JRPG.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I was planning to get it but after reading the two reviews (IGN, Gametrailers) I'll have to think it over. At one time, I was really excited about this game and it was a must-buy for me. But I recently just had a change of mind. I'm not basing my decision solely on the two reviews, I will rent it first, or play a demo if we're lucky enough to have one come our way. If my decision is no, I'll pick up Orange Box instead.
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts
ill be getting it day one already pre ordered. I love jrpg and since i dint like mass effect i need a rpg for my dust collector.
Matchstick911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Matchstick911
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I don't listen to crap rated by people who think Halo is cool. Those reviews are so biased, and besides, have you SEEN this game? It's the best graphics to date (at least on 360) and 4 discs guarantees one to two things. Either it is REALLY long or it has LOTS of cutscenes or both. Both would be my preference, I like long challenges where you feel you're improving. If this game did not have a level system it would definitely not be worth it. That being said, there is just no way you can't get this game...unless the first thing you saw was the dude's face and didn't look at any other pictures :O
Gizmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gizmonk
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts
I must beat Eternal Sonata before I purchase Lost Odyssey. But yes I plan on purchasing it.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts
I may check it out.
Matchstick911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Matchstick911
Hahahhaha. Eternal Sonata was BY FAR the WORST game I've EVER touched. And I've played PDZ and Rogue Ops before...
xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts
I read this game was turn based and lost all interest.
saiyanlarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 saiyanlarry
Member since 2003 • 548 Posts
youre a bunchof ****ing losers. you heard it was turned based and gave up on it? do you even know what the ****a jrpg is??? this game looks amazing and of course im buying it. if you think 8.8/10 is average then youre a ****ing dumb***.
aco512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aco512
Member since 2006 • 555 Posts
picking this up on day 1 :)
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I don't listen to crap rated by people who think Halo is cool. Those reviews are so biased, and besides, have you SEEN this game? It's the best graphics to date (at least on 360) and 4 discs guarantees one to two things. Either it is REALLY long or it has LOTS of cutscenes or both. Both would be my preference, I like long challenges where you feel you're improving. If this game did not have a level system it would definitely not be worth it. That being said, there is just no way you can't get this game...unless the first thing you saw was the dude's face and didn't look at any other pictures :OMatchstick911

It's a pretty long game. It takes about 40 hours to beat, leaving out some side quests. But I heard to completely finish the game would take about 80 hours. That's pretty darn good.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

Gametrailers gave Blue Dragon a 7.5 and said that the story sucked(6.0).

They reviewed Lost Odyssey and gave the story a 9.6, with an over all score of 8.8,

It's kind of funny the sites that liked Blue Dragon haven't liked Lost Odyssey (Gamespy 2 1/2 - 5 and Games Radar 6/10), while the ones who reviewed Blue Dragon with a low score (IGN - 7.9, IGN AU - 7.0) actually liked Lost Odyssey (IGN - 8.2, IGN AU -8.0).

Gamespy and gave Blue Dragon an 8/10 saying it had an "Engaging Story".

Gametrailers has been more consistent in their reviews.

At the end of the day you'll have to play the game to form your own opinion of Lost Odyssey.

If you don't like turn-based combat to begin with, (Like the negative reviews that do nothing but cry about it) then you should probably steer clear of it.

If you like traditional Japanese RPGs, then give it a try.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
Getting it day 1. Ill be done with devil hunter on DMC 4 by tomorrow night, and i should be done with no more heroes on monday.

Then ill go play som LO and juggle that game with trying to beat DMC 4 on son of sparta mode, heaven or hell, and eventurally Dante must Die mode.
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

Getting it day 1. Ill be done with devil hunter on DMC 4 by tomorrow night, and i should be done with no more heroes on monday.

Then ill go play som LO and juggle that game with trying to beat DMC 4 on son of sparta mode, heaven or hell, and eventurally Dante must Die mode.
jg4xchamp
Same, I just finished Devil Hunter tonight.

Probably should have went through Human Mode first since it doesn't give you the achievement when you beat it on DH, but whatever.

ZodiacVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZodiacVII
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts
Will definitely pick this up, and have been waiting for Lost Odyssey for a long time. It reviewers are holding it back because it is a JRPG that is their fault; as far as I'm concerned anyone who is excited about this game knows exactly that and expects that the gameplay mechanics that most classic JRPGs had.
Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
hell no, it looks repetetive and bland.
isawachuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 isawachuck
Member since 2002 • 95 Posts
Yep, I'll be getting it.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
Cant wait to pick this up
grunt1096

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 grunt1096
Member since 2007 • 120769 Posts
Nope, I hate turn based RPG's.
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
I plan on picking it up. It looks like a great game. The only thing that I don't like is the random battles. I've never liked those. I like to see my enemies and choose whether or not to fight them.
ratchet3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ratchet3
Member since 2004 • 7883 Posts
I'm not big on the turn based RPG. Never really got into them, just having to wait for my turn doesn't appeal me.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
im not to keen on this
Mijis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mijis
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
IGN review was nice for this game , so i guess i am getting it despise the fact that i have final fantasy 12 special edition and i didnt played it yet. I was i huge fan of jrpgs until the shooters came
Veiijo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Veiijo
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I am already 10 hours in to first disc. And mean this game is amazing. The memory of the thousand years scenes are writen so damn well, almoust cried. Music.....oh man......oh jesus......it is so good. You will understand once you hear it. Story is very good, must have for old school JRPG fans! I am playing Asian version thou it runs on PAL system.
ComicalOwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ComicalOwnage
Lost Odyssey is an interesting in the way that its designed and created by a combation of some the best RPG's developers out there, plus its a 360 Exclusive so there take that Sony! However from its visual design and not forgetting its loading times mentioned as well as bump texturesm, carelessly its another ridden game designed using the Unreal Engine 3.0. Not saying thats bad or anything but look at the other cursed games for the 360 that use the Unreal Engine, Turning Point, Turok, Blacksite as well as the worst of the lot Hour of Victory. I have however, high hopes for Lost Odyssey regardless of its issue's, I am a RPG fan of the many series, including the works of Hironobu Sakaguchi who brought us Final Fantasy and thus this Game. Plus the fact I can get it on the cheap if I import it for less than 25 quid, so if I do hate then I won't regret the fact that I spent nearly 45 quid for it, when it makes its UK release (when is that I wonder?).
tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tackchevy
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Yeah, I just put in the preorder yesterday...... All reviews say "Incredible game, but it plays like FF I!!!!" I say, so what's the problem then..... it's nice to see a game using a simple turn based mechanic with some heavy emphasis on strategery and story.

You don't want to change too much... FF XII had a semi-interesting story, but the gameplay was atrocious.... My "real life" job is automating processes, so you can understand how setting some variables and then watching the game happen might be a little boring.

Sorry, but any reviewier that bags on the game for not being innovative enough is missing the point. If they also review COD4/Halo3 highly, then you venture into the area of hypocrisy, as the gun-infront-of-your-face genre hasn't really evolved since Wolfenstein 3D, though it has gotten much prettier. Like anything, there are exceptions... HL, Bioshock, etc, but you know what I mean.

pezboy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pezboy7
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts
I'm buying it. I really like turn based RPGs they're relaxing and sometimes thought provoking. Plus Eternal Sonata was pretty lame as far as JRPGs go. That and I think Nobuo Uematsu's music is awesome.
Killian420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Killian420
Member since 2006 • 394 Posts
deffinitly must buy, had this reserved for well over a year, can't wait.
RawhideSphinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RawhideSphinx
Member since 2004 • 527 Posts
Do yourself a favor get FFXII it looks the same but is better in every other way.
steveslugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 steveslugga
Member since 2007 • 1344 Posts
i was gonna get it, but with so many technical issues & loading times, i dont think so anymore, to me, i would rather have a game scaled back a bit & at least it would run fluently, but with this game its like they rushed it, trying to make it too pretty & it sacrifices some gameplay
Anti-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Anti-Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
Rent, every 3 out of 1 review said the story sucks.
Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts

Hahahhaha. Eternal Sonata was BY FAR the WORST game I've EVER touched. And I've played PDZ and Rogue Ops before...Matchstick911

Couldnt agree more. I found it to be the most boring game I have ever played and I've been playing games since Atari.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I am not going to get this game and I never planned to.
marcus1968

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 marcus1968
Member since 2005 • 151 Posts

I am definitely getting it, it's reserved and paid for. Of course, I am a fan of JRPGs. That seems to be the main knock on this game, that's its a genre that a lot of console reviewers enjoy bashing. One could argue that racing games, FPS and RTS games are redundant and repetitive but it seems that JRPGs invite a special kind of dislike (sometimes hate).

I personally enjoy many types of games: sometimes I just want to shoot or beat up stuff and sometimes I just want to sit back, relax and enjoy a turn based game. What I particularly enjoy about JRPGs is customizing my party and character development as well as the story.

A lot of so called "experts" are crying that the turn-based-rpg is dead. For one thing, it's alive and well in Japan particulaly on the DS and PSP. For another, I find it regrettable that the "experts" and reviewers are not being objective when they review JRPGs (Blue Dragon is a good example). Many of them plainly do not like RPGs (and that's ok) and they are using their position to further their opinion (which is not ok).

Anyway, I'll be enjoying my new game next week. I suggest to everyone to find things they enjoy instead of focusing on things they hate or dislike.

Have a good weekend.

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
I just bought DMC4 CE, so I'm cashed out. I don't think I would buy it anyways though.
Raivon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Raivon
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts
HECK yeah I am !!!
EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts

Rent, every 3 out of 1 review said the story sucks.Anti-Gamer

Every 3 out of 1 review?? Huh?

Gizmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gizmonk
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts

Hahahhaha. Eternal Sonata was BY FAR the WORST game I've EVER touched. And I've played PDZ and Rogue Ops before...Matchstick911

Now see. The thing is that you have to have a heart to understand whats going on with the characters and have a little bit of intellect to understand the political issues presented in the story.

If that is not your issue, then what was/is?

wreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wreak
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
man is it just me or are young north americans the most xenophobic ppl on the planet. theres a big difference between not liking somthing and stating your opinion about it, and just not having any respect.... most of you just don't have any respect, and in the end i just feel sorry for you.
jriddle89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jriddle89
Member since 2004 • 1209 Posts

I am getting some money soon and will buy a game, most likely an RPG because I have been craving to play a good one, and I was looking at either this or Blue Dragon. I have seen reviews for both games where most websites LOVE one of them and doesn't care for the other. This isn't helping me out much... I have played a little of BD and liked it, characters remind me of Dragon Ball, which I loved as a kid....Then again, LO looks pretty epic and has a more mature tone.....

ahhh.....what to do...

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gen-Gawl

man is it just me or are young north americans the most xenophobic ppl on the planet. theres a big difference between not liking somthing and stating your opinion about it, and just not having any respect.... most of you just don't have any respect, and in the end i just feel sorry for you.wreak

You are correct. I've seen that same behavior from many countries though. But I think it's a problem more of the internet and less of the country they're from. I believe it's called the "GIF" syndrome.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gen-Gawl

I am getting some money soon and will buy a game, most likely an RPG because I have been craving to play a good one, and I was looking at either this or Blue Dragon. I have seen reviews for both games where most websites LOVE one of them and doesn't care for the other. This isn't helping me out much... I have played a little of BD and liked it, characters remind me of Dragon Ball, which I loved as a kid....Then again, LO looks pretty epic and has a more mature tone.....

ahhh.....what to do...

jriddle89

BD was good. I enjoyed it. It kept me busy for about 60 hours. I liked the fact that you didn't need to grind at all. And if you wanted too you could become so uber powerful that even the last boss could be beat in about 3 minutes. Okay... so the game was way easy. But I prefer that rather than frustratingly difficult. I don't like having my butt handed to me during every single battle. That isn't fun for me.

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#49 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
i'm still sure that i'm buying it. i mean if it gets a terrible review from a major gaming publication/website (like Game Informer, IGN, Gamespot, etc.) i'll have second thoughts, but IGN already gave it a pretty favorable review. anyway, i think it looks pretty fun (other than the random battles)
NiteFmohawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NiteFmohawk
Member since 2008 • 122 Posts

Man that game look crazy...as in stupid