Yoshida: Playstation All Stars Didn't Do Well Enough For Sequel or more DLC

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

On IGN's Beyond Podcast, Yoshida talked about Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, Sony's take on Super Smash Bros. that they released as their flagship title last holiday, and he revealed that the game, released on two platforms, managed to sell one million copies worldwide.

While this number sounds good, he was quick to point out this was not enough for a sequel or more DLC.

There was the genesis of a good idea here- the first Smash game, while doing incredibly well commercially, wasn't all that great either, and it took Melee to bring the series to its current glory. Maybe, hopefully, Sony will try the idea again sometime in the future with better results.

SOURCE

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I though it was a pretty decent game. Hope to see a sequel in future.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

They should try again. I didn't buy it though because I don't buy fighters lately.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
I was part of the problem. I never picked it up, even though it was in my to get list. :(
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

lol

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

On IGN's Beyond Podcast, Yoshida talked about Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, Sony's take on Super Smash Bros. that they released as their flagship title last holiday, and he revealed that the game, released on two platforms, managed to sell one million copies worldwide.

While this number sounds good, he was quick to point out this was not enough for a sequel or more DLC.

There was the genesis of a good idea here- the first Smash game, while doing incredibly well commercially, wasn't all that great either, and it took Melee to bring the series to its current glory. Maybe, hopefully, Sony will try the idea again sometime in the future with better results.

SOURCE

charizard1605
Smash sold gangbusters. What is this comparison?
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Shame. I didn't buy the original either, but I was hoping they'd support at least one sequel with major improvements (using the base of the original of course). Ah well.. maybe in the future. In the meantime we'll have Smash to enjoy though :P

Desmonic

I didn't purchase it because I wanted a Smash clone; I wasn't like the other haters that were hating it because it was a Smash clone I wasn't interested because it wasn't an exact clone of Smash with Sony characters I would've liked that more.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
It might be one of those titles with legs...Weird that SSB can be so successful but a Sony clone can not compete
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Im pretty sad. The game is fun. The only really grip I had was dull menus,musich was eh and They could have made a better story mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

SOURCE

TigerSuperman

To repost: the first Smash game, while doing incredibly well commercially, wasn't all that great either, and it took Melee to bring the series to its current glory. I make it pretty clear that the comparison is not sales performance, it is game quality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
It might be one of those titles with legs...Weird that SSB can be so successful but a Sony clone can not competeHarlockJC
It had a horrible character roster, an unintuitive battle system that was too heavily reliant on Supers, and it just did not receive the right marketing push. Done again, and a little better (for the love of God, Sony, get Crash!) this title would do well. The way they handled it, I'm not surprised it bombed.
TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts
[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]

SOURCE

charizard1605

To repost: the first Smash game, while doing incredibly well commercially, wasn't all that great either, and it took Melee to bring the series to its current glory. I make it pretty clear that the comparison is not sales performance, it is game quality.

None of the Smashes are really that good though. Although I will say Melee probably was closer to being good.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
That's because it's a very poorly made game. The menus and presentation are awful, the visual style makes it hard to distinguish some characters from the environments, and only being able to score via Supers in a terrible mechanic for a fighting game. Not to mention the lackluster character roster. There are so many big Sony characters they forgot -- Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter, Deimos from God of War, Dart from Legend of Dragoon, Bentley from Sly, Ico or Wander, Toan from Dark Cloud, someone from Wild Arms, Q*bert (yes, Sony owns Q*bert now) -- let alone the obvious third party choices like Crash, Spyro, Cloud Strife, Lara Croft, etc.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Shame, it had potential. I'm amazed that one million wasn't enough to cover it, though. It didn't scream big budget to begin with.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
They need to come up with own all stars game insted of coping:>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TigerSuperman"] Smash sold gangbusters. What is this comparison?

None of the Smashes are really that good though. Although I will say Melee probably was closer to being good.

I'm going to disagree with you here. You are entitled to your opinion, and it is a valid opinion, but it is one held by an exceedingly small minority.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 famicommander
[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]

SOURCE

charizard1605

Smash 64, to this very day, plays much better than PSASBR.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Shame. I didn't buy the original either, but I was hoping they'd support at least one sequel with major improvements (using the base of the original of course). Ah well.. maybe in the future. In the meantime we'll have Smash to enjoy though :P

Desmonic

I didn't purchase it because I wanted a Smash clone; I wasn't like the other haters that were hating it because it was a Smash clone I wasn't interested because it wasn't an exact clone of Smash with Sony characters I would've liked that more.

It would have been really easy for them to fully copy Smash. Many smaller games already did, but they wanted to do their own thing within that specific genre. I respect that. Sure it clearly needed some improvements and some ideas weren't that well executed (and a bigger budget probably wouldn't have hurt either :P ) but at least they tried adding their own flavour to the game. Shame it didn't sell enough for a sequel...

If they got rid of the system that you needed to KO people with Supers I would've liked it better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Shame, it had potential. I'm amazed that one million wasn't enough to cover it, though. It didn't scream big budget to begin with.

They were practically giving the game away for free by the end- they bundled it, they sold it at 66% off on PSN, every PS3 copy had a Vita copy included. Of course it reached a million units with those kinds of desperate measures, while still not making enough money for them to cover costs.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

At least he's straight with hsi answers. Very respectable. Shame, though. Game waas really fun, despite its flaws.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TigerSuperman"] Smash sold gangbusters. What is this comparison?

That is only because Smash 64 doesn't rely entirely on Supers for knock outs; it had a better and much more solid foundation to work from, but it was still a not so well made low budget game at best.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="TigerSuperman"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TigerSuperman"] Smash sold gangbusters. What is this comparison?

Your in the minority there. People bought Gamecubes and Wiis just for smash. Hell, people still play Melee to this very day.
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Well I guess my cousin will be sad when I tell him this seeing as he enjoyed it.:P

I never really had any interest in it.:?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

It's a fun game but only with a handful of characters. So many of the characters are terrible compared to others and really limited the the amount of feasible characters to use online or when playing with friends. It also didn't help that Sony charges $5 per each DLC character.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

LOL not surprising

But since a lot of lems are now jumping ship to the PS4 ..... PS4 exclusives will actually sell

YAY

:P

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
I think thats a good thing.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#31 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
It seems not even very many cows bought it. I'm not a cow, and I bought it and the DLC.
Kaz4president

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kaz4president
Member since 2013 • 156 Posts

i personally did not like the gameplay at all. But Then again I dislike super smash bros gameplay as well......

ALSO the character choices were poor. Where is Snake, where is Cloud, where is Crash Bandicoot, where is Dart from legend of Dragoon, where is all the more popluar characters that made Playstation popular in the first place? 

It seemed they only included characters from the ps3 generation to help advertise for their 3rd party publishers like Isaac Clark = Dead Space 3, Young Dante= Devil May Cry reboot, Raiden= Metal gear rising, and so on. Its ridiclous! 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

I missed tons of characters they should have used. They should have went all out

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Dang, that's a shame. I still love playing it though. Great game in my opinion.

Kaz4president

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kaz4president
Member since 2013 • 156 Posts

I missed tons of characters they chould have used. They should have went all out

Davekeeh
ditto!
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
That's a shame. It's a lot of fun
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 famicommander
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] To repost: the first Smash game, while doing incredibly well commercially, wasn't all that great either, and it took Melee to bring the series to its current glory. I make it pretty clear that the comparison is not sales performance, it is game quality.

That is only because Smash 64 doesn't rely entirely on Supers for knock outs; it had a better and much more solid foundation to work from, but it was still a not so well made low budget game at best.

I think you're being too harsh on Smash 64 because of the greatness of Melee. I played every Smash game when it was new and I still play them regularly, and the combat system in Smash 64 is more balanced and cohesive than that of Playstation really long stupid name fighting game.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

If it wasn't for the demo I might have given this game a chance.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="famicommander"] Smash 64, to this very day, plays much better than PSASBR.famicommander

I think you're being too harsh on Smash 64 because of the greatness of Melee. I played every Smash game when it was new and I still play them regularly, and the combat system in Smash 64 is more balanced and cohesive than that of Playstation really long stupid name fighting game.

I think your thinking to highly of smash 64.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="famicommander"] Smash 64, to this very day, plays much better than PSASBR.

I still play Smash to this day, and I never did like it much back when it released in the first place. It was fun and all for parties, but Smash never hit greatness until Melee, and then Brawl.
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Tried the beta and didn't like it at all.

But kudos to Sony for risking it and trying something unique.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Cyberdot
Unique? Ripping off another franchise almost wholesale is your idea of unique? It was a fun game, but 'unique?' You really must not be too familiar with gaming outside of Playstation (and now, as you like to keep reminding us, PC).
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] That is only because Smash 64 doesn't rely entirely on Supers for knock outs; it had a better and much more solid foundation to work from, but it was still a not so well made low budget game at best.finalfantasy94

I think your thinking to highly of smash 64.

nah...smash 64 is deeper and takes more skill than melee and definitely more than brawl.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

charizard1605
Unique? Ripping off another franchise almost wholesale is your idea of unique? It was a fun game, but 'unique?' You really must not be too familiar with gaming outside of Playstation (and now, as you like to keep reminding us, PC).

You seem to be unfamiliar with the phrase rip off. Being in the same genre does not make a game a rip off. It's very different from Smash.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Capitan_Kid

You seem to be unfamiliar with the phrase rip off. Being in the same genre does not make a game a rip off. It's very different from Smash.

I've played both. I just, in fact, played All Stars followed by Melee. All Stars had some unique ideas, but the core concept and the implementation was very similar to Super Smash Bros., and that is a fact.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Unique? Ripping off another franchise almost wholesale is your idea of unique? It was a fun game, but 'unique?' You really must not be too familiar with gaming outside of Playstation (and now, as you like to keep reminding us, PC).

I've played both. I just, in fact, played All Stars followed by Melee. All Stars had some unique ideas, but the core concept and the implementation was very similar to Super Smash Bros., and that is a fact.

The core concept, being a 2d fighting game with up to four players, is really the only similarity. Smash is about knocking your opponents out and getting their percentage higher while in All Stars you have to build up meter to get a kill. The way the stages are done, the way the online is done, the customization of characters, the single player modes, the way characters fight, and etc is completely different. Calling it a rip off is just stupid.
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
Was a good game but the online connectivity issues ruined it as online was the only way worth playing.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
It might be one of those titles with legs...Weird that SSB can be so successful but a Sony clone can not competeHarlockJC
I'm not so sure about that, console games, unless it's a Nintendo game, tend to not have legs. I thought the game was meh but it's a shame that they won't be able to try harder in a sequel.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

The PS3 audience was too mature for this 

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Unique? Ripping off another franchise almost wholesale is your idea of unique? It was a fun game, but 'unique?' You really must not be too familiar with gaming outside of Playstation (and now, as you like to keep reminding us, PC).

Mhm, they are similar in the same ways stuff like Tekken, Street Fighter, and other fighters of the sort are similar. None of those are rip offs of the other. There just isn't much competition in 4 Player Party brawlers, to the point that it seems to some that SSB has some sort of copyright over it.