Why voice-overs are killing RPGs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts

Not litterally. RPGs are still selling very well today. But I've noticed that today's RPGs are less rich and plentiful of dialogues since voice-overs became mandatory for a game to be "accepted".

Go back in the pre-Final Fantasy X era and take a look at the narrative of RPGs. Take for example Final Fantasy VIII, which had a hell of a lot of dialogues (and monologues). The staff behind the game could cram an infinite amount of text if they so desired. Reading doesn't take long, and nobody cares if the story is interesting. It's just like reading a book. All Final Fantasies were like that (especially VI, VII, VIII and IX). Lots of interesting text to read, which would make the story rich.

Now compare these to today's RPGs, in which there are voice-overs. Scenario writers can't let their mind run free and write plenty of dialogues. They've got to gauge the right amount of dialogues needed so the game doesn't feel empty, but not to much. Why? Because now they've gotta hire and pay voice-actors (which costs quite a lot). Not only that, but if the dialogues are too long, the game will get tiresome real fast. Take a scene from any RPG that would require between 5 and 10 minutes of reading. Take all of the text and add voice-overs. It'll take a lot longer to cover the same amount of information brought forward by reading, and the player would get tired. In the end, game company can't afford to write stories and dialogues as rich as before.

Of course, voice-overs have their advantages. Games are now more movie-like, and actors bring the characters to life. But that doesn't mean pre-voice-overs characters were lifeless. More dialogues and information is what a story and character needs. I'm not saying today's RPG characters are lifeless. Final Fantays XII has great, interesting and living characters. But it's not the same as before. Just compare the amount of information contained in FFVI, VII, VIII and IX to X, X-2 and XII. There's quite a difference in the amount of content. Also, when there are no voices, a character's personality will be forged only by his/her dialogues, whereas with an actor behind the character, the personality is kinda forced.

If voice was something crucial to the development of a characters, then books wouldn't have a purpose. But we know this isn't true. Everybody knows nothing will surpass the richness books offer. RPGs nowadays are like movies, but I prefer when they were like books. I prefer having a lot of interesting text to read than having to simply watch a cutscene that might have irritating voices. I could read for over 10 minutes-long and not be bothered at all, but not-so-much with cutscenes with voices. What's your opinion?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Huh? Very few RPGs rely entirely on voice-overs. There's usually much more voice-less text than voiced speech.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

I definetly agree with the OP. FFIX is my favourite game of all time. The problem is...Well... Just look at Nintendo. They have been slow with including voice acting, and they are often punished for this in reviews. People expect voice acting, and for some reason people don't understand how text could be just as good if not better.

When i read the title i though it was going to be about the translation of stories in RPG's :)

Zulgaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zulgaines
Member since 2003 • 9750 Posts
I think KOTOR is what started a lot of it, the voice acting in KOTOR actually enhances the game a great deal.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts

I think KOTOR is what started a lot of it, the voice acting in KOTOR actually enhances the game a great deal.Zulgaines

Yes, KotOR is the exception. There are a hell of a lot of dialogues, and they aren't redundant. But KotOR is the only exception. No games are like it (except Jade Empire).

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts

^^ Even so, much of KOTOR's dialogue was just garbled alien-speak.

RPGs rely on their dialogue and story-telling capabilities, so voice acting can be important in 'setting the mood' (or whatever). But voice acting will ultimately limit the quantity and quality of the dialogue, which could ruin the RPG...

I guess that the best option might be to have important characters speaking, while most other people just have text. If there's still too much dialogue, they could opt for only the first few lines/only the important lines to be spoken.
That worked for Planescape: Torment, which would have cost a huge amount of money and probably double the disc space (it was already 4 CDs) if they had decided to speak every line in the game.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

But the reading is hard. Think of the children!

:(

sephiroth_y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sephiroth_y
Member since 2004 • 1392 Posts

some time the voice ruins the character, that's why.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I disagree. Voice-overs are great if done right with good writing and good acting.

Dragon Quest VIII is the best example of a old-school/new-school type of RPG with awesome voice-overs. I can't imagine playing this game without hearing Yangus crying, "Cor blimey!" It just won't be the same.

However, I do agree that some games go overboard. I thought FFX andValkaryie Profile2 did too much.

Moogleman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Moogleman23
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
I agree with you that voice overs are being focused on too much. I love games that have brilliant and comical dialogue. I actually learned to read playing RPGs when I was young because I had too in order to understand. My younger brother is having a hard time learning on his own and the fact that most games use the voice over thing makes it so he doesn't have motivation to learn. Don't get me wrong, I like voice overs in my games, but there are games that use them way too much.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Not litterally. RPGs are still selling very well today. But I've noticed that today's RPGs are less rich and plentiful of dialogues since voice-overs became mandatory for a game to be "accepted".

Go back in the pre-Final Fantasy X era and take a look at the narrative of RPGs. Take for example Final Fantasy VIII, which had a hell of a lot of dialogues (and monologues). The staff behind the game could cram an infinite amount of text if they so desired. Reading doesn't take long, and nobody cares if the story is interesting. It's just like reading a book. All Final Fantasies were like that (especially VI, VII, VIII and IX). Lots of interesting text to read, which would make the story rich.

Now compare these to today's RPGs, in which there are voice-overs. Scenario writers can't let their mind run free and write plenty of dialogues. They've got to gauge the right amount of dialogues needed so the game doesn't feel empty, but not to much. Why? Because now they've gotta hire and pay voice-actors (which costs quite a lot).

AuthenticM

This point assumes that the developers of these games are being moderate. Having played games like KH2 which have far too much exposition I can't say I agree (though that is to do with more than just dialogue).

OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts

I disagree completely. I read all of the time, and much of my reading is spent immersed in fantasy novels. Which is where it should stay--they tell better stories.

I play RPGs to feel immersed in a role--usually the role of an epic hero. That's something I can't get anywhere else, and well-performed voice acting only adds to the immersion.

But I suppose if I were playing mostly Japanese-style RPGs, I would probably agree with you. But that's because Japanese-style RPGs are poorly designed and give you very little chance to actually immerse yourself in a role. *Dons flame-retardant suit*

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
Umm... You glossed over the fact that most of those old games without voice acting, including Final Fantasy's before 7, had for the most part terrible writing. Even if you wanted to read, just turn subtitles on. Please, just leave me and my overproduced games alone!
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts

[QUOTE="Zulgaines"]I think KOTOR is what started a lot of it, the voice acting in KOTOR actually enhances the game a great deal.AuthenticM

Yes, KotOR is the exception. There are a hell of a lot of dialogues, and they aren't redundant. But KotOR is the only exception. No games are like it (except Jade Empire).

Well, except for the looping alien noises....

IndianaJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IndianaJosh
Member since 2003 • 5159 Posts

[QUOTE="Zulgaines"]I think KOTOR is what started a lot of it, the voice acting in KOTOR actually enhances the game a great deal.AuthenticM

Oblivion had a lot of dialogue. In fact, they had Patrick Stewart do the voice of the emperor, and he made the corny RPG dialogue sound a lot better.

sackem51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sackem51
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Maromaro on Blue Dragon kills me....But I still liked the game..
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Planeforger
[QUOTE="AuthenticM"]

[QUOTE="Zulgaines"]I think KOTOR is what started a lot of it, the voice acting in KOTOR actually enhances the game a great deal.IndianaJosh

Oblivion had a lot of dialogue. In fact, they had Patrick Stewart do the voice of the emperor, and he made the corny RPG dialogue sound a lot better.

...but most of Oblivion's dialogue was redundant. Also, Patrick Steward only said about 15 lines in the entire game, so that's not much of a bonus.

Thinking of that, Vampire Bloodlines was entirely voice-acted, and that turned out rather well. So I guess it is possible to have lots of good dialogue and still be a good RPG.

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

I can complain about text also. How much useless fluff text do we get in RPGs also? How many times do I have to sit there and deal with bubble after bubble just to get to the point...they need help.

Like for Instance...Dragon Quest 8 or whatever. I pretty much had my first hour nothing but annoying text bubbles.

I think what they need to do is make dialog interesting, fun ,and have a point. Not so we can say OMG the game is 30hours long!

I think the best to do this was Kotor. Some of them spoke, some didn't but alot of times it didn't feel like it dragged on or anything else that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
When the voice work is well done and well written, it can enhance the experience. Problem is, most games don't have well performed or written voice-work, which can make playing games tedious and even excruciating in the cases of some English-dubbed JRPG's.

Words will always be far more descriptive than voice, even if voice can be more emotive aurally. When playing a text-based adventure game, you use your imagination to create everything, including the view of the world... far too many games these days are removing the imagination and just inserting us into a pre-determined world instead of giving us the flexibility and creative interpretive capabilities that our minds do.
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
I agree that when voice acting is done correctly it adds much more to the game. I do not think I would of loved Balthier so much throughout FF12 if he had no voice, it added so much character to him. On the other hand when games do voice acting wrong (original Baten Kaitos) it causes your ears to bleed, fully voiced games are pretty new anyway in all truth. To the degree of some games reach that is.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

But I suppose if I were playing mostly Japanese-style RPGs, I would probably agree with you. But that's because Japanese-style RPGs are poorly designed and give you very little chance to actually immerse yourself in a role. *Dons flame-retardant suit*OremLK

Oh please. Saying that Japanese rpg's are all poorly designed.....WoW *stands in awe of the great ignorance*

Maybe some people prefer actual character development, but oh well. I guess some people have so boring lives that they need "immersive" games to escape reality.

OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts

[QUOTE="OremLK"]But I suppose if I were playing mostly Japanese-style RPGs, I would probably agree with you. But that's because Japanese-style RPGs are poorly designed and give you very little chance to actually immerse yourself in a role. *Dons flame-retardant suit*_Tobli_

Oh please. Saying that Japanese rpg's are all poorly designed.....WoW *stands in awe of the great ignorance*

Maybe some people prefer actual character development, but oh well. I guess some people have so boring lives that they need "immersive" games to escape reality.

I won't get into this argument here, since it's not an appropriate thread for it, except to clarify that I didn't say all Japanese RPGs are poorly designed. I meant that they typically are. Nothing is universal when it comes to art. As for ignorance, I played through a number of the best-regarded JRPGs in my younger days, and have sampled the newer ones enough times to know that I no longer have any interest in the genre.

Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts

Saying japanese rpg''s are typically poorly designed is like saying valve's fps games are poorly designed. Japanese rpg's are what made rpg's what they are and stand way above wrpg's in all most every aspect when it comes to charecter desing, story, world, art etc. Tho wrpg's and jrpg's are way different so I could not see someone comparing these two genres.

Voice overs are not killing rpg's and it totally depends of the game. Imagine graphical powerhouse games like Final Fantasy X (in its time) and oblivion where everything is very detailed. It would look stupid if everyone would be just moving they mouths and only text would come out. Then imagine something like Final Fantasy VII or Fallout and in that case voice overs would sound stupid.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Planeforger

Japanese rpg's are what made rpg's what they are and stand way above wrpg's in all most every aspect when it comes to charecter desing, story, world, art etc.

Pessu

That's purely a matter of opinion - I disagree with you on these points.

Also, WRPGs came first - so they technically made RPGs 'what they are'.

Then imagine something like Final Fantasy VII or Fallout and in that case voice overs would sound stupid. Pessu

Fallout had voice overs, with some known actors saying the lines - including Macguyver!

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

I don´t think Voice-overs killing the RPGs.It´s the people who by "show-off RPGs" like Final Fantasy X which was a Story-downfall par exellance.They cut down a usually deep (even sometimes pretty stupid...look at FF8 ) Storyline to a 2h-Hollywood-Movie.Nice Cutscenes and Grapics and the people bought it like crazy while really awesome RPGs are not hitting the shelves in the US or Europe or collecting dust.

Bad dubbed-versions are a different thing.Of course,there are positive examples like Enchanted Arms (exept one Character :x) or Xenosaga Episode 3,but stuff like Persona 3 (plus wrong translated stuff!),FFXII (exept the main-characters absoluely horrible,plus the sound-quality is worse)kill games.And what some people don´t know : Some speech is also lost in translation ("Tales of"-Series) or even completely kicked (Growlanser 3).

cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

Voice overs can be great if done correctly. Sure, they will cost a little extra money, but some actors have even noted that they would love to do a voice over for a game that they enjoy.

Doing voice-overs should be like cast directing. You think of an image for that character and then decide what type of person they are, then choose what person would best fit that description and choose them to portray that character. It's the same way when a cast director chooses the persons for a movie.

In some cases doing voice overs can benefit to the games affect and appeal while other times simple text dialogue can help better a game. It all depends on the game and the image that game is going for.

So all in all, I wouldn't say voice-overs are killing RPG's, as long as they are performed correctly and they don't throw just any voice to any character. However, some games would have bombed (more to say) if they would have just relied on simple text dialogue for each of the characters.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#27 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Merely opinion.

I am one of those people who think that the more senses you include an in experience the richer it is in stark contrast to reading a book. While clearly a well written book is better than a decent game, a great game takes everything of a book and adds and multiplies it to a point where you can experience it on more that one level.

Just because some stodgy old professor in a tweed jacket and leather patches on his elbows told you that "Call of the Wild" is a classic and has about 10 kajillion interpretations doesn't mean you can't do the same thing for a video game. Once you picture video games as more than mere entertainment, you will appreciate them too.

Now I can see where the problem lies in having crappy voiceovers, but then chances are anyone who does crappy voice work probably has crappy graphics, gameplay and a story. So like in the case of a bad book, you probably wouldn't be reading it anyways.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Words will always be far more descriptive than voice, even if voice can be more emotive aurally. When playing a text-based adventure game, you use your imagination to create everything, including the view of the world... far too many games these days are removing the imagination and just inserting us into a pre-determined world instead of giving us the flexibility and creative interpretive capabilities that our minds do.foxhound_fox

Exactly!! These new "overproduced" (like someone above said, awesome!) games are taking the "role" out of role-playing games. I no longer feel like the character, I'm just a spectator now.

Another great point made by the OP was the use of monlogue in FF8. That was great. Being in Squall'a head made you feel that much more that you were him.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Well, it's extremely hard to find a good voice over for some characters. FFXII did well in that respect, and so did KOTOR. Still, if they don't hire expesive actors, there's no hope.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

I actually agree with the TC.

Though, I wouldn't necessarily say the voice-overs are killing RPGs, since they've helped enhance the experience of some, KOTOR being a prime example....rather I would say the expectations of high production values that many gamers feel a new RPG should have in order to be good (which includes voice-overs) is killing the potential for RPGs.

If the same technical expectations and high production values that are expected of todays RPGs were expected of RPGs in the past, even adjusted for cost back then, I don't think legendary RPG games like Planescape Torment would have been made.

Planescape Torment is probably a prime example, with the amount of rich dialogue in that game, it would just cost WAY too much to do it in a voice over....not to mention, many of the written descriptions worked better as text left to the players imagination, rather if it had been done as a voice-over or cutscene.

And I think that's why we see few RPGs today like the greats of yesterday, if you notice, most RPGs today are either MMO, Action-adventure RPG hybrids, Hack & Slash, or Action-RPG hybrids rather then traditional character driven RPGs in the past that used to make the genre so great.

I think with the expectations of high production values, which includes voice-overs, have left many potential independent RPG developers who can't afford such budgets out in the cold, and have stiffled the genre a bit.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I don´t think Voice-overs killing the RPGs.It´s the people who by "show-off RPGs" like Final Fantasy X which was a Story-downfall par exellance.They cut down a usually deep (even sometimes pretty stupid...look at FF8 ) Storyline to a 2h-Hollywood-Movie.Nice Cutscenes and Grapics and the people bought it like crazy while really awesome RPGs are not hitting the shelves in the US or Europe or collecting dust.

Bad dubbed-versions are a different thing.Of course,there are positive examples like Enchanted Arms (exept one Character :x) or Xenosaga Episode 3,but stuff like Persona 3 (plus wrong translated stuff!),FFXII (exept the main-characters absoluely horrible,plus the sound-quality is worse)kill games.And what some people don´t know : Some speech is also lost in translation ("Tales of"-Series) or even completely kicked (Growlanser 3).

Ash2X

I think you shouldhave swtiched between persona 3 and xenosaga. Man the second game haswaaay too many text that it turns you off before even knowing what the drill is. Persona 3 just had a natural and everyday dialoug...It was good.

legacyzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 legacyzero
Member since 2003 • 111 Posts
I disagree. Voice Acting is need only if it's good. FFXII Had EXELLENT Voice acting. FFX was a breath of fresh air, although the voice direction could be better. Could you imagine if Final Fantasy VIII was remade with voice acting? That would SELL me a PS3 instantly
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ash2X
[QUOTE="Ash2X"]

gamingqueen

I think you shouldhave swtiched between persona 3 and xenosaga. Man the second game haswaaay too many text that it turns you off before even knowing what the drill is. Persona 3 just had a natural and everyday dialoug...It was good.

That´s why I named Ep3,the second wasn´t that good.I play the 3rd right now and it is really wel made.In case of Persona,the voice acting is pretty split...most are pretty bad but there also some well spoke characters.The wrong translations which should seem japanese but not have been in the japanese version (!),but parts still typical american...awful.

Example: Mr and Mrs are American but all the "sempai" and other stuff is randomly put in,even most are unused in the japanese original and untypcal,because even if these words exist,they aren´t used.That´s why some gamers heard "titles" they never met before and thought it was awesome translated.

By the way,the game still remains great,but it´s a freak-game and freaks want in most cases the original japanese voice acting.It´s no mainstream-game so they could at least put in an option to switch...it´s not like there isn´t egnough space on ther disc.Plus most people will get a Undub-Copy from the internet,wich came out faster then you can look.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ash2X

I disagree. Voice Acting is need only if it's good. FFXII Had EXELLENT Voice acting. FFX was a breath of fresh air, although the voice direction could be better. Could you imagine if Final Fantasy VIII was remade with voice acting? That would SELL me a PS3 instantlylegacyzero

...like I said:The main characters are ok,but side characters like the prince or the boy in the beginning are absolutely awful...you can even hear how it should have been spoken right.Plus the sound-quality of the voice-acting was compared to the well mixedjapanese Version prettymedicore too.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ash2X

Before I forget to mention : German Voice-Acting can kill ANY game...equal how bad the English-Version is,the german is in 99,9% of all cases worse.Try it if you can...some XBox360-Games and almost all European games are switchable...

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="Ash2X"]

Ash2X

That´s why I named Ep3,the second wasn´t that good.I play the 3rd right now and it is really wel made.In case of Persona,the voice acting is pretty split...most are pretty bad but there also some well spoke characters.The wrong translations which should seem japanese but not have been in the japanese version (!),but parts still typical american...awful.

Example: Mr and Mrs are American but all the "sempai" and other stuff is randomly put in,even most are unused in the japanese original and untypcal,because even if these words exist,they aren´t used.That´s why some gamers heard "titles" they never met before and thought it was awesome translated.

By the way,the game still remains great,but it´s a freak-game and freaks want in most cases the original japanese voice acting.It´s no mainstream-game so they could at least put in an option to switch...it´s not like there isn´t egnough space on ther disc.Plus most people will get a Undub-Copy from the internet,wich came out faster then you can look.

I watch subbed animes and I can tell which of the subbed or dubbed is a better version. In the case of Persona 3 I'd simply and quickly choose the english. Sorry...The fes version having a better dialoug apart from parts being lost in translation is a joke. The only thing superior they have is the extras at the end and Junpei and Yukari's story. Aside from all those additives the english version remains better in terms of voice acting. You can't even tell the differences between voices in the *** version!

Sempi does exist, sempi and kun and sensi and chan and all those are used to adress people.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ash2X
[QUOTE="Ash2X"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="Ash2X"]

gamingqueen

I watch subbed animes and I can tell which of the subbed or dubbed is a better version. In the case of Persona 3 I'd simply and quickly choose the english. Sorry...The fes version having a better dialoug apart from parts being lost in translation is a joke. The only thing superior they have is the extras at the end and Junpei and Yukari's story. Aside from all those additives the english version remains better in terms of voice acting. You can't even tell the differences between voices in the *** version!

Sempi does exist, sempi and kun and sensi and chan and all those are used to adress people.

Of course they do,but the ones used in the US-Version aren´t the ones used in the japanese Version.They added some of them to sound like it´s well-translated and even worse they changed some!I played the japanese version...by the way I think Junpei and Yukari are really well made,but the others...I just say the little boy who sounds like Michael Jackson (wasn´t much better in the japanese,but he sounds really awful) and some others let the gamer really scream for undubbed versions.But,I have to admit,I choose English Voice-Acting pretty often.It´s just easier to understandand unlike subbed Animes the translation is the same as the english voice-acting,and not directly translated from the japanese.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamingqueen

Their biggest mistake wasnot hiring more voice actors. It was obvious that the one who did chidori's voice was ken kun and akihiko is yukari's father and the main strega guy was mitsuru's father and the velvet room guy was their nutty chairman. So many voice actors had to do two characters instead of one in that game. They were okay but the result could have been better if they brought more actors. Perhaps Atlus was short of money...

As for too much usage of titles...It's disrespectfulfor Japanese to call people without the kun and chan thing.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ash2X

Their biggest mistake wasnot hiring more voice actors. It was obvious that the one who did chidori's voice was ken kun and akihiko is yukari's father and the main strega guy was mitsuru's father and the velvet room guy was their nutty chairman. So many voice actors had to do two characters instead of one in that game. They were okay but the result could have been better if they brought more actors. Perhaps Atlus was short of money...

As for too much usage of titles...It's disrespectfulfor Japanese to call people without the kun and chan thing.

gamingqueen

The game wasn´t expected to sell well...and it didn´t.That´s why P3Fes won´t come out which was also idiotic because the japanese Version came so long ago,and in cases of SMT:Nocturne we already got the Extended Version.I didn´t mean that the usage of the titles is too much...they just adressed the characters wrong...never seen that before,and if they do it they should at least do it right and not just from time to time...whatever.And that every Atlus-RPG-game is now a Shin Megami Tensei in the US...Nocturne was the only US-released SMT,Digital Devil Saga (in original DDS:Avatar Tuner) and Persona never have been part of the series,even if Persona was always treated like a spinn-off.By the was have you seen the differences between the US-Persona 1 and the japanese Version?Well at least Persona 2 (actually a 2nd part of a 2-game series and the US-Version is the worse one!)and 3 have been relative ok ported over...

ottumatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 ottumatic
Member since 2003 • 185 Posts
There is a portion of people who relies heavily on visuals and sounds to imagine things. Unfortunately these people are the majority in the gamers. They can't visualise properly the plotline in-game just by reading those text. Great RPGs should be able to enable people to fully immerse themselves into the game itself. Henceforth came the voice acting for the game characters; to bring more realism to its characters. Sure this brings alot of problem like poor voice acting, forced realism etc. Then again like everything else, voice-over is a double edged sword just like text dialogues, it's negatives cannot be negated no matter how good is it's positives.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i simply prefer not to read everything in the game. its annoying. characters having voices adds so much to the game. i disagree that text is somehow superior to voice. you cannot get accurate tone or feeling from text. youdo fromvoice. although i will admit the focus on voice work can be a problem, due to quality or cost or the like, but i damn sure prefer to have voice work in a game than not.
GidoDaHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GidoDaHitman
Member since 2004 • 425 Posts

Now compare these to today's RPGs, in which there are voice-overs. Scenario writers can't let their mind run free and write plenty of dialogues. They've got to gauge the right amount of dialogues needed so the game doesn't feel empty, but not to much. Why? Because now they've gotta hire and pay voice-actors (which costs quite a lot). Not only that, but if the dialogues are too long, the game will get tiresome real fast. Take a scene from any RPG that would require between 5 and 10 minutes of reading. Take all of the text and add voice-overs. It'll take a lot longer to cover the same amount of information brought forward by reading, and the player would get tired. In the end, game company can't afford to write stories and dialogues as rich as before.

Of course, voice-overs have their advantages. Games are now more movie-like, and actors bring the characters to life. But that doesn't mean pre-voice-overs characters were lifeless. More dialogues and information is what a story and character needs. I'm not saying today's RPG characters are lifeless. Final Fantays XII has great, interesting and living characters. But it's not the same as before. Just compare the amount of information contained in FFVI, VII, VIII and IX to X, X-2 and XII. There's quite a difference in the amount of content. Also, when there are no voices, a character's personality will be forged only by his/her dialogues, whereas with an actor behind the character, the personality is kinda forced.

If voice was something crucial to the development of a characters, then books wouldn't have a purpose. But we know this isn't true. Everybody knows nothing will surpass the richness books offer. RPGs nowadays are like movies, but I prefer when they were like books. I prefer having a lot of interesting text to read than having to simply watch a cutscene that might have irritating voices. I could read for over 10 minutes-long and not be bothered at all, but not-so-much with cutscenes with voices. What's your opinion?

AuthenticM
i agree with you and thanks for mentioning that ff8, that's my favorite game...anyways i DO think the voices are great to add on to rpgs, but reading is also fundamental...i agree with you when you say it's like reading a book because if it's a real good rpg that include intense drama and etc, it would be like the suspense of a book that will keep you turning to the next the page....

on the other hand.... MGS series had way too much voice overs but was necessary to understand the story too. well, as long as you can skip it, especially after hearing the dialogue before, there's really no problem with voice overs.

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#43 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts

Well I have to say, Persona 3 FES was one of those games with rare and amazing voice actors, pretty much most of Atlus games have Voice acting. Though Voice acting is rare these days but then I only see Atlus publish PS2 games these days.

Though I know how bad voice acting affects a character, one of the characters of P3FES was hated for voice acting, and the worst part is that she would state every obvious thing within battle, everyone always seemed to hate her.

Full_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Full_Gamer
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
ya voice overs are kiilling them like FF Crystal cronicles ring of fates, embassed me just to play it, i traded it in and got Myst ds instead
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
[QUOTE="AuthenticM"]

[QUOTE="Zulgaines"]I think KOTOR is what started a lot of it, the voice acting in KOTOR actually enhances the game a great deal.Cube_of_MooN

Well, except for the looping alien noises....

If I have to hear an alien say "Moocha Shaka Baka" again, I don't know what I'll do. But the human dialogue was phenomenal.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts
Technology is killing the RPG. Bioware has even admitted that because development costs keep skyrocketing, they'll never be able to create another game that matches the scale of Baldur's Gate.