But Seriously...Why ARE You Here? (Required Reading)

EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 EtherTwilight
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts

From our Home page here at the Writers' Lounge:

The Writers' Lounge is a place where writers of all ages and of all kinds can share their work, read others and participate in community events such as contests.Our Front Page

Yeah, so we all know that (I hope).

So what?

"Our mission is to make this union a place where users can post their work, receive constructive feedback and improve their writing ability. We are for both experienced and new writers as well as for people who just want a good read. Above all else, we want to create an atmosphere where our members feel at home.Sparkster

Right there from the front page of our forums. I'll be brief and get to what I'm getting at here:

Obviously, in joining this union, there was a reason there. Maybe you just want to read others' works. Maybe. But I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you like to write. Maybe you love it. Maybe it's something you do here and there. Maybe it's something you want to do for a living. Maybe it's somewhere in between there. Maybe you write for yourself.

Whatever the reason, it doesn't really matter. I'm talking directly to those of you who want to take an active interest in deciding what, exactly, writing means to you.

Go ahead and take a moment.

Okay, so now, and I'm being completely serious here, do the following, and I expect everyone here to at least take some sort of damn effort in this:

• Identify your (potential) weak-points as a writer.
  • Identify your (potential) strong-points as a writer.
  • Identify what writing is to you, and what you would like it to ultimately be.
  • Identify what, if anything, you want your writing to say or mean to others.
  • Identify what or who go you into writing, and ultimately why you write.
  • Identify what, if anything, you want or expect to gain from being a member here.
  • Lastly: Identify at least one short term and one long term goal for yourself.

Let us know all of these. I'll be doing mine shortly. These are going to be catalogued and organized by yours truly, and we're going to have a sort of progress watch thing.

What the ultimate goal is here is to actually make some progress as writers. The rest of the union will most likely continue as usual, but I'm going to be spearheading this idea, and to be blunt, I expect every single member to be involved in this.

In identifying the above questions - And feel free to ad-lib your own if you'd like, I'm just trying to be brief here and feel these cover the most important questions, but again, I may have not though of one - what you're ultimately establishing is a writer's template of yourself. Knowing what you yourself know about your writing, coupled with what other people have said before about your writing, the hopes here are to identify these key elements of writing and to improve ourselves.

How, exactly, I'll continue with this after I get some responses to the above questions I have only a vague idea. If you honestly want to improve your writing, in any fashion, then I expect you to provide the above information.

I don't even care if you're just a casual writer who does it for the hell of it. The fact that you're here means you have some interest in writing; let us know the extent of that interest.

I also don't care if this sounds stupid. Do it.

Outside of this little project to be, keep up on the posting. We've seen spotty new faces and a marginal increase in activity again this week. So read what people are putting up and comment to some degree. At least "I like it" or "I don't like it."

Seriously. Come on, people. I try my best to comment at least marginally on every piece people put up - I expect the same of everyone else.

I hope that a lot of you guys will respond to this. I think we can have a lot of fun and interesting things going on, but I see a lot of complaining about the lack of activity and not a lot of people trying to do anything different.

So here's your something different, and it's something that could potentially be quite constructive.

Okay, now GO.

Avatar image for HyperMetaDragon
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 HyperMetaDragon
Member since 2006 • 5345 Posts
You sure put this up awfully late...*yawns*. I'll fill this out tomorrow, I'm definitely too tired and exhausted as of now.
EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 EtherTwilight

I don't mean right this very second, man. XD

It's my bedtime now, too. I'll be damned if I keep working on this and create a rap for Mario. :P

Still. We'll chat later, Hyper.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

Identify what writing is to you, and what you would like it to ultimately be: Writting is an artform, duh! :P Seriously though writting is at the moment the most meaningful (for want of a better term)thing I am able to do, it's the "realest" (again FWOABT)thing I'm able to do and one of the few times I feel like I'm actually doing something.

Identify what, if anything, you want your writing to say or mean to others: It's up to them, what they get from my writting will often be not what I get from it just as with anything else.

Identify what or who go you into writing, and ultimately why you write: Well, Ever since I can remember I've at least made up stories in my head and then when I was able to use a tape recorder I recorded stories or dictated them to my mother (which was really annoying as she wrote too slowly!) when I learnt to write (which was at like year 2 or 3, quite late in life but I learnt in a matter of days) I began to read a lot and eventually wrote (or at least began) a proper story in year 4-6 (can't remember when exactly) and that's how it began I suppose.

Identify what, if anything, you want or expect to gain from being a member here: It's always interesting to read other people's opinions and work.

Lastly: Identify at least one short term and one long term goal for yourself: My short term goal is to finish all the un-finished stories I have and start the stories I've had ideas for recently. Long term goal is to finish editing Trawling Through Time.

Avatar image for helios_rietberg
helios_rietberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 helios_rietberg
Member since 2005 • 424 Posts

My weak points:

I write too much, meaning that I dwell a lot on one subject before going on. I'm very bad at short stories, and all the other stories that I've planned have turned out long-winded, and unfinished. My short stories are amazingly riddled with repetitions, but I can't seem to see them!

My good points:

I have my own personal style - dreaminess. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but most of my stories and poems are dreamy. They focus on both the good and bad points of humanity through a variety of different ways, but never lose their dreaminess.

What writing is to me, and what I would ultimately like it to be:

Writing is a basis of my life. If a day passed that I did not think about writing or write, I would have to be dreadfully sick, or dead. I would like to be an author or a poet someday, but I am also painfully aware that there are many obstacles along the road - though the same applies for most jobs.

What I want my writing to say or mean to others:

On the whole, I would just like people to feel good after reading my works. I would also just like to share my point of view of the world with the rest of the community, because very often it's written words that really digest in peoples' heads (or stomachs). If I could help someone see something in a new light through my writing, then I'd be very happy.

Why I write:

Because... it's one of the things that comes naturally to me, and it's one of the only things that I'm good at. Writing is not a hobby; it's a way of life.

What I expect to gain from being a member in The Writers' Lounge:

Others peoples' opinions on how I could improve my writing, for writing constantly changes, and can never be perfect.

Short-term goal:

To finish the story I'm currently snailing on!

Long-term goal:

To publish a book (or two).

Okay, it's my bed-time now!

irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts

Identify your (potential) weak-points as a writer.

I'd say my weakpoint is mainly that I tend to rush story along kind of hastily in order to arrive quickly at the middle parts of the story where interesting events take place. I've been trying to break that habit with the latest piece I'm working on and it's working pretty well I guess. However, in some instances, this isn't a weakness and is rather just the author cutting to the chase (Anthony Horrowitz is a lot like this and I never thought twice about it reading any of his stuff). I suppose it falls somewhere in the middle for me.

Identify your (potential) strong-points as a writer.

I take pride in the way I describe things, mainly action. I try to thoroughly describe what happens so the reader can see the mental picture I have without droning on or making things confusing. There are some sentences, paragraphs, etc that I re-write constantly until it flows well yet projects the right image in the mind of the reader. I see that as a trait not many people think about.

Identify what writing is to you, and what you would like it to ultimately be.

Writing is a medium I find I have a lot of talent in and I use that talent for different things, depending on the piece. Some are inspired by a movie or a video game and I want to pay homage to them in some regard, some merely a non-lethal way to get lethal thoughts out of my head, and others just a fun and creative way to pass time. It all depends.

Identify what, if anything, you want your writing to say or mean to others.

Now that I think about it, I suppose my writing in and of itself is just like any other book, video game, or movie, it's just to entertain anyone willing to read it. At certain points or with certain pieces it is meant to get a point across, but not usually. So again, it depends.

Identify what or who go you into writing, and ultimately why you write.

I think I always bombed the creative writing thing until about fifth grade when my teacher saw my potential for it and gave me lots of insight as to how to write...well...:roll: Ever since, I basically write to do everything I've mentioned in the above answers.

Identify what, if anything, you want or expect to gain from being a member here.

I ultimately joined this union becuz me and Sparks go pretty far back and he always had a vision for a union on GS dedicated to writing, so I was a charter member and have visited, posted works, posted feeback, etc since it started. If I want to gain anything from this place, it's more knowledge on my weaknesses in writing becuz who better to ask then...well...pretty much anyone but yourself.

Lastly: Identify at least one short term and one long term goal for yourself.

One short term goal I touched on briefly earlier--that's getting better at slowing down and developing the plot at a calmer pace, as it's generally something that plagues everything I write in one way or another. As for long term...I'd say I always wanted to publish soemthing of mine, but that requires finishing something first :|

EndlessGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 EndlessGame
Member since 2006 • 912 Posts

My weak points

I need to work on planning as I usually just jump headlong into my stories. I also need to work on melding dialogue and narration.

My Strong Points

Describing actions, especially in battle scenes, are my forte. It's the aspect of writing I've spent the most time on due to RP.

Right now, it's something I do in my free time, aside from video games. I think I may like to write a novel at some point, and perhaps get it marketed, but it isn't my primary career path. I do enjoy it immensely though.

I want people to find my writing entertaining. I want them to enjoy reading it, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. :D

That supposed to be "got you into"? Well, it started out on an RP board in an online game I played, and it went from there. I write because it's fun. Because I can create a world of my own in writing that I can't do in other forms of media.

Identify what, if anything, you want or expect to gain from being a member here.

I joined the Writers' Lounge because I had no one to share my work with. I pretty much just wrote for myself and didn't continue much of it because I lost interest. Now that I've joined here, I find myself wanting to finish the stories I start because I have people who will read it. And I want to improve on what I can do already. 8)

Identify at least one short term and one long term goal for yourself.

Short term: To continue with, and finally find a name for, my latest project that you all have been reading on here.

Long term: To write a book. Not just a short story or a collection of them, a complete novel with an extensive background and a history of its own world behind it. Rather like Lord of the Rings.

I really need to catch up onpeople'snew work. Leave it to this union to come to life while I'm on a week's vacation. :P

irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 irmeleeman5995

Yeah Endless this Union just recently came back to life, didn't it?

And when I read your responses some of them sounded like mine :P I was like "Wait this is someone elses response right?"

EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EtherTwilight

• I'm extremely overcritical of my own work, and this leads to me scrapping a lot of projects or becoming so disheartened with them that I leave them unfinished, though I "intend" to "get back to them."
  • I'm not the best at editing or touching up my works that I have "finished." I'm a very once-over writer, and things I intend to go back and work on almost never get that attention.
  • I feel that I write about a few topics too much, namely religion and love.
  • I tend to have periods wherein I pigeonhole myself with certain writing stylés, which becomes readily apparent in my poetry.

• I can be fairly creative, inspiration willing.
  • I feel I have a knack for evoking the atmosphere that I'm trying to convey.
  • Though I almost never write action, I've found that I'm actually pretty good at it (I feel, anyway).
  • I also tend to have periods where I experiment with a great deal of stylés and topics; this is usually when I end most proud of something that I've written.

Writing is a way of creating a world based around my thoughts and feelings, if only for moments at a time. Penultimately, I'd like to be a published author, even if I fail miserably from a "success" standpoint. Ultimately, I'd like it to be what I do for a living; preferably writing of my own vision, though I'd reside to writing for someone else in order to pay the bills.

Ultimately, I feel that the overall messages in my writing are two fold: The world is a beautiful place, and the world is a decrepit and hideous place. I suppose that, overall, I want to either expose what I consider to be wolves in sheep's clothing, or to make someone realize something about themselves or the world around them that they consider to be worthwhile. I'm sure that's a fanciful way of looking at it, but hey, part of being a writer is having your stuck in the clouds, right? At least that's how I've always experienced it personally.

I started writing in my teen years as a way to cope with a lot of the things going on in my life. A breakup that really screwed up my entire life perspective - then, interestingly enough, affirmed it about a thousandfold - an at best tumultuous family life, social problems, personal emotional imbalances like anorexia, suicide, and general chronic depression. It was a way for me to vent what was happening to me under a veil, and I found the creative outlet extremely therapeutic. I suppose that same feeling has traversed into adulthood for me, only now, the messages I'm trying to get across are under a different veil this time around.

Prior to joining here, I hadn't really done much writing in the last two years. Personal goings on and lack of inspiration or drive aside, I was really hoping that being around other writers and feeling like I had a voice to be heard would be beneficial to me, and it has. I find myself writing again, and trying to be much more "professional" about it (read: just actually taking the time to write). Ultimately, I want to see where others are and try and help them on the same journey that I'm on and want help with myself.

Short term, I want to write more short stories and experiment with many more stylés than I'm used to.

Long term, my real goal in writing is to finish the book I'm working on. I currently have about two-hundred pages, and getting back into the swing of it has been so daunting a task that I find myself overly aggravated or intimidated about the project. I really hope to overcome my self-flagellation and be able to actually focus on that body of work and finish the rough draft, so that I can go back and touch it up and add the bits and pieces I wished I'd put in initially until I can say I have written an entire book. Subsequently, I hope to get it published.

Also, my longer term goal following that is to be hailed as a better writer than Robert Jordan, whom I consider to be the most widely lauded writer currently involved in fantasy, what I suppose my book most closely resembles - I'm trying not to make it entirely cliché, though. *CoughI'mlookingatyouJordancough*

irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 irmeleeman5995
Cool stuff Ether
Blade_Tr4iner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Blade_Tr4iner
Member since 2006 • 2112 Posts

I don't think this is a stupid idea at all :D

I don't preplan my stories, which often results in it having problems, I'm also rather critical of my work (I always think my story is bad until someone tells me otherwise), I'm lazy, tending to put off writing a story I mean to write (which is why I haven't gotten around to "Pellet 2" yet :P ), my stories tend to be too short.

People seem to like my pace and descriptive $tyle I'm quite good at witticisms, I'm able to come up with ideas quite easily. I seem to have a natural flair for words.

I enjoy reading ( a lot), and I also enjoy writing - bringing the same joy I get from reading to other people. I'm hoping to be an author in later life since doing something you enjoy is always the "dream job"

Nothing really, besides "I write for fun and hope you enjoy", to me, there is no real underlying meaning in the stories. They're just something I do for the enjoyment of myself and others.

I love reading, and I wanted to get others into reading, so I started writing occasionally. In the end I really write just because it's fun.

New reading materials, improvements of my writing $tyle friend, and even ideas for my stories.

Long term: Be an author Short term: Get through school and tertiary education, in order to get a job so that I can support myselfy while working on my long-term goals.

Also the reason I don't comment on the poetry is because, simply put, I can't interpret poetry easily. I can see what the author wants you to see but I can't really comment or critique it.

EndlessGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 EndlessGame
Member since 2006 • 912 Posts

Yeah, this union suddenly had a burst of activity. It's really good, I was getting nervous it was dying there!

Great minds think alike, meleeman. If our responses are similar, that makes us both awesome. :D

That's some pretty deep stuff, Ether. But I don't know the author Robert Jordan. *hides* Don't kill me! But I may know some of his books, what has he written?

Blade, I used to avoid commenting on poetry for the same reason, but I tried it a few times, and it's actually easier than I thought originally. Besides, even just an "I like it" can help boost the confidence of the poem's author. :D

skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 skelebull3000
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts
I'll fill this in when I'm back (2 weeks) and want to apologise for my inactivity these 5 last weeks due to my vacation. Be sure that I'll have a new poem ready as well as the first few pages of a sci-fi story. In the mean time I'll reserve this space.
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts

I'm terrible at short stories I tend to draw out my stories and pieces of writing, I never get directly to the point. Thus I have severe issues with writing contests and tasks that require a certain length.

I generally am able to get people interested in my work and make it so they want to read it.

Writing is my constant in this world, everyone and everything around me tends to change, but writing remains the same thing I love. Writing is my obession and forever will be my favorite hobby.

There are many reasons you can write, but I do it for to inform people of my struggles in a way that makes it interesting and valuable lesson. If at least one reader can take one minute away from their life to reflect on what I've written, then I'm happy.

I began writing as an escape of life; it brought me into my own little world. Up until I formed this union, my writing was for my eyes only, but as of late, I tend to share the words that I put down on the page.

If I were a regular member, I'd expect the Administration (being the officers + leader) to be active, kind and helpful in my quest to become a better writer. As the leader, I expect the members to help me along with my own sub-par writing.

My broader scale goal is to just be active, both short term and long term. My short term writing goal is better improve my short story writing to a point where I can be within 50 words of my word count goal set prior to writing. My long term goal is to finally finish my 3rd which has been in production for a bit of time.

Uziel126

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Uziel126
Member since 2006 • 2994 Posts
  • Identify your (potential) weak-points as a writer.

I have never finished a single story as of now.
I tend to be way too detailed in my descriptions when I write stories, not paying enough attention to the storyline
I can only write fan fiction stories

• Identify your (potential) strong-points as a writer.

I think I'm more in touch with literary devices such as similes, metaphors etc.
If I have the patince, I can write poems with good rhymes

• Identify what writing is to you, and what you would like it to ultimately be.

Writing poems is one of my stress-relieving activities. I write poetry when I'm going through a tough spot, but I write stories if feel like it. It's mostly a pastime.

• Identify what, if anything, you want your writing to say or mean to others.

I want to take over the world with subliminal messages hidden in my poetry. (I wish, I wish)

• Identify what or who got you into writing, and ultimately why you write.

I just saw my friend writing an FF7 fanfic and thought, "Heck, if he can do it, so can I!" (Upon which I proceeded to write a corny story involving some characters from Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar saga. Good series, though I hear Serpentwar wasn't as good. I still laugh at it sometimes.) I got into poetry last year, when I started learning Literature last year.

• Identify what, if anything, you want or expect to gain from being a member here.

World Domination (Or at least brownie points from people I'll never meet)
Practice in constructive criticism
Anger Management =)

• Lastly: Identify at least one short term and one long term goal for yourself.

Short Term: Finish a story. Write 5 poems by December, on different themes.
Long Term: Find out how to finish a story well, finish a story well. Perfect the art of poetry.

WORLD DOMINATION!!!

HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HyperMetaDragon

Ether, do you have MSN? I've been extremely busy lately and I haven't been on GameSpot at all...but I do go on MSN once in a while so I might be able to post it over MSN.

EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EtherTwilight
There's no rush, Hyper. Just put it up when you have a chance.
HyperMetaDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HyperMetaDragon
Will do. By the way, you might wanna change your userbar to the leader one now. ;)
OrangeCrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OrangeCrown
Member since 2007 • 167 Posts

Indentify (potential) weak points: I tend to be rather slow creatively, meaning it takes me a while to process my thoughts and put them onto paper. However, once I do start I tend to dive full-force into something, which I suppose counterbalances the weakness. I also have a fear of rejection, though with each story I finish that fear diminished more and more.

Indentify (potential) strong points: I honestly believe I'm a good writer; I've been told I have a strong (and unique) storyteller's voice. My stories tend to be surreal; I'm skilled at creating shock-factor and vivid, dreamlike imagery in my stories.

What writing is to me: Writing is very important to me. It's the only thing I can see myself doing in the future. Ever since I was a child I've wanted to be a storyteller. It's theraputic in a way, and leads to a lot of self-discovery.

What I want writing to be: As I said, it's the only thing I can see myself doing in the future.

What I want my writing to say/mean: I want to do for others what my favorite storytellers have done for me. I want to create characters for people to care about, to love and love to hate. I want to create worlds for people to lose themselves in, no matter how long the journey lasts. I want to write stories that perhaps push boundaries or take people out of their comfort zones, but they keep coming back for more. I want to make people laugh, even if they feel they shouldn't do so. The imagination is a powerful thing. I want to inspire others to make use of theirs. I want people to know that they too have imaginations.

Who/Why I got into writing: I read the Chronicles of Narnia when I was young and thought, "This is what I want to do. I want to tell people stories." The first person I ever really shared my work with was my psychology teacher Ms. Trammell. Her comments and opinions on my work made me want to keep going. Other people I've met in life and inspired me to keep with it, though I'm not going to mention all their names. My favorite authors (Shirley Jackson, Anne Rice, Haruki Murakami, H.P. Lovecraft and Lewis Carroll to name a few) have all in one way or another inspired me and made me want to tell my own stories.

Being a member: It's cool to be a member of a community of fellow writers. I want to view other people's work and share my work with others. It's as simple as that. I want to gain more confidence that will allow me to take those next crucial steps.

Goals: Short term: finish a short story I'm working on titled: Lornaderek. Long term: Within the next year, attempt to publish my work, develop a larger portfolio of stories, and start on something more substantial (have a novel in the works).

Zeta_Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Zeta_Thompson
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

In fiction:

Melee writing,battle writing and some conversations sound stilted. My grammar (punctuation) has gotten sloppy.

innonfiction:

smooth bridging between concepts

Infiction

Plot and character dev,description, mood settings.

Innonfiction

I get the point across and canwrite succinctly or match almost any house st*le - interesting seems that word is "fobidden"

It used to be a profession, it may be again. I need to keep in practice. Also I find it a release and a way of expressing myself in a creative venue.

Fiction: I want to tell a good story well; too many writers today tell good stories poorly or write well but tell lousy tales.

Non Fiction: I mainly write/wrote user documentation and tech papers. So I guess I want them clear,concise and easily editted.

I have always written, since grade school. I guess my parents did by letting me read so much.

I expect detailed critiques on my weak points and specific suggestions for improvement.

Long term:to complerte a 50K word novella

Short term: to get back into writing 'off the cuff'and knowing what I produce is of a sufficient quality to continue writing.

Please excuse odd spacing I THOUGHT they had fixed this issue with Vista and their editor,but it seems not.

HereiswhatasentencelookslikeafterpostingifIdonotpreviewandfix.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

I have many weak points as a writer. One of which being that I view myself as having too many weak points. I lack confidence. Often times I find myself worried about the validity of my story in relation to others. I find my writing self-indulgent and occasionally sentimental. Also, my stories are usually quite unbalanced. They are often times very self-conscious and descriptive, with onlya spatteringof dialogue throughout. Grammar and tense can be a big problem. I have a great fear that I have only written one really good story and the rest are drek. Lastly, I fear that I am losing my imagination as I get older... Oh yeah, one more... I think that I am a humorous person in real life. But can't ever seem to incorporate that into my writing. It's usually quite serious stuff.

As much as it is a weakness, I also think my self-conscious writing can reveal valuable insights that one might otherwise overlook. My descriptions and little details can be quite good sometimes... When I really get in "the zone", my stories can be great. Unfortunately, I have only had one true instance of this occurrence. It was one of the most psychologically draining experiences I've ever known as a writer.

Writing is a way of communicating. It communicates experience through an artistic form. Writing is there to teach and reach others.

I want people to see outside themselves and into, the lives of others (isn't that the title of a movie?). It is my hope that in doing this, people will learn to understand and accept others. Through reading my writing, I want people to be encouraged to think for themselves. First and foremost, I want people to be more conscious of themselves in relation to the world around them. I want them to understand consequence and spurn selfishness. In short, I want my writing to motivate them to become better people.

I have to thank my parents. Because they started me out as a reader at a very young age. A strong reader has the potential to be a strong writer. As a result of reading at such a young age, my imagination grew and grew. So I'd have to thank my imagination too. After all, it told me I could be a writer. :P Aside from that, I'd have to say that I got myself into writing. Ultimately I write, because I am a horrible speaker. The only way I can communicate in any logical sense is through writing...

I want to start writing seriously again. It is my hope that joining this group is a step in the right direction.

My short term goal is to write a short story. My long term goal is to write a novel.

Butsutekkai38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#22 Butsutekkai38
Member since 2006 • 182 Posts

...Well, since I just joined without warning, I think it's only fair to say a little about myself.

...Well, as far as I know, I am somewhat good at thinking of ideas, creating characters, and all of the like. But, when it comes to writing the actual story, I tend to do a mediocre job in general.

I usually specialize in creating inventions--logical or fictional--creating character backgrounds, story backgrounds, and all of the like.

Truthfully, writing isn't absolutely my favorite activity, nor is it at all in my goals to become a writer. But, whenever I don't have anything to do, writing does serve a decent purpose whenever I want to keep myself occupied...or just to find a temporary escape from reality.

Eeh, never thought about it. I usually do not care what others think of me or my writing, whether they are thinking negative or positive. Once again, writing is really just one of my side hobbies whenever I find myself in an uneventful situation.

...Honestly, I can't recall. To make a small answer, I sort of just...picked it up and got into the habit of doing it.

Nothing, honestly. I just happened to see this union and I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out, as I usually don't participate in any activity in GameSpot...or any online community, for that matter.

...Eeh, I suppose game design takes a significant part in my goals...although it isn't seriously in my spirit. I am simply an average sloth with a bit of talent.

PhireStorm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PhireStorm007
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts

man, so many. I have trouble reading, even if I'm really into it. my mind drifts, alot. which also tends my writing to go off into random thoughts. I don't have a large vocabulary at all. I can't completely understand the complex parts of the english language, and tend to repeat things in a different way. I could keep going, but I can't even identify all of them.

I have a HUGE imagination, and like to philosiphy and theorize. That and I go into detail, which can sometimes be a weakness. so... Imagination.

Identify what writing is to you, and what you would like it to ultimately be:

Writing is good way of expressing thoughts, opinions, and Ideas in your own person way. To me right now, writing is a good way of putting my ideas down in an simpler way than drawing, and I can tell a story the way I want, I don't care how a reader translates it. Its a creative "vent"

Identify what, if anything, you want your writing to say or mean to others:

Nothing, I want the reader to read a good story and pull some sort of meaning out of it.

Identify what or who go you into writing, and ultimately why you write:

I write to vent my brain. If I don't draw, write, or tell someone, it just brews up there. which is kinda good, I like to perfect it. but it bothers me after a while

Identify what, if anything, you want or expect to gain from being a member here:

I want to show people my stuff, and gain advice from people I know that will read my literature.

Lastly: Identify at least one short term and one long term goal for yourself:

Short term? get enough to determination to complete my long-term goals.

Long term? to get better at english writing. and finish my novel, so I can start writing others.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

-Description. Half of it is on purpose since I hate reading too much description...the other half well...is laziness.

Plot and battle scenes in general.

Writing to me...is a more organized way of expressing yourself without the slip of the tongue.:P Oh, that, and a way of expressing your imagination when you can't do so otherwise.

That reading a story doesn't have to follow the same formula as other stories or even "rules"

Anime did. And I write because it's the only way for me to express my imagination at this point.

Just some honest fans of my works.:D And to read some sweet original stories!

Get published.

Good topic.:)
EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EtherTwilight

I have a ton of catching up to do in the union, so those of you whose pieces I haven't seen (in other words: those I haven't commented on) then you need to do yourselves (and myself) a favor and post a piece or two of your work that's recent (if you haven't already) and a piece or two that's rather seminal to your writing style or merely your generalized idea of what it is, exactly, that you are trying to achieve in the more overarching approach.

Preferably in new threads, however. Let's not get off-topic here. :D

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

I have a ton of catching up to do in the union, so those of you whose pieces I haven't seen (in other words: those I haven't commented on) then you need to do yourselves (and myself) a favor and post a piece or two of your work that's recent (if you haven't already) and a piece or two that's rather seminal to your writing style or merely your generalized idea of what it is, exactly, that you are trying to achieve in the more overarching approach.

Preferably in new threads, however. Let's not get off-topic here. :D

EtherTwilight
Already did it. :D 10 pages of word document = 2 Episodes of my works. I'll post more when I get some legit readers.
NejiKusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 NejiKusa
Member since 2007 • 4454 Posts
Ya I know i was suppose to give all these reasons and what not, but I'm gonna make mine short and sweet, I don't like following peoples rules and stuff. I just wanna right cool stories and here what other peoples stories are, just wanna see what your ideas are and just have fun. I'm not that good at writing, i can be very descriptive, good at short stories I guess, Hong Kong style action/martial arts types are my favs, there not really deep just filled with explosions, kung fu dialouge and a whole lot of martial arts fights. =)
Zeta_Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zeta_Thompson
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

Symphonycometh and NejiKusa : Cool I am awful at melee writing. I look forward to reading some and getting tips on mechanics so that the writing is not boring to a non fighter, but still detailed enough to let the reader know who is winning (or seems to be)

EtherTwilight: Do you want links or just going to see which ones? You easily can tell which are mine, they have no comments on them as of this post.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

Symphonycometh and NejiKusa : Cool I am awful at melee writing. I look forward to reading some and getting tips on mechanics so that the writing is not boring to a non fighter, but still detailed enough to let the reader know who is winning (or seems to be)

EtherTwilight: Do you want links or just going to see which ones? You easily can tell which are mine, they have no comments on them as of this post.

Zeta_Thompson

:D

I plan to read yours ASAP.