soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
I don't have cable, so I've just now seen SGU thanks to the magic of Netflix streaming and syndication, so this is kinda old news... The Stargate program has been going on for nearly a decade, so there ought to be some Goa'uld or other alien energy weapons just hanging around, why didn't any of those get brought aboard Destiny? I realize it was a last minute kind of thing, but there should be some airmen trained in and armed with alien weapons.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Gou'ald weapons aren't standard issue for Earth forces, they prefer their own weaponry, although they seem to like zats a lot too and you don't see any of those on Destiny.

[spoiler] I also wonder why the Lucian Alliance is using Earth weapons rather than energy weapons [/spoiler]

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 themyrmidon
Member since 2007 • 5567 Posts

I'm not sure that that's a spoiler at all, at least not at this point, but it really is a head-scratcher.  It just makes no sense.

As far as earth goes, of course they don't want to use those crappy staff weapons, but I'm surprised they haven't developed their own energy weapons at this point.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 theone86

TC didn't say how far he had gotten, just that he now was able to watch it on Netflix. I wasn't sure if he had gotten to the last few eps of the season yet.

With energy weapons, they've proven to be less useful for earth forces. They were all but useless against replicators and super soldiers, and in the former case it was projectile weapons that proved to be the most effective. The one use they do have is superior firepower, and earth forces can use rockets, grenades, mortars, C-4, and the like to serve the same purpose. The only place they'd really be useful is on capital ships, even F-302 weponry provides more precision, and they do have energy weapons to an extent on the Prometheus I think? They're not going to be used widespread until they can reverse engineer Asgard tech, which I imagine would be a lengthy process. I guess they could ask the Tokra for Goa'uld weaponry and reverse engineer it, but maybe they figure that Asgard weaponry is more powerul anyways.

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 themyrmidon

Wasn't the Kull Warrior armor countered by an energy-based add-on?  And didn't they make anti-replicator energy weapon based on the tech that ultimately defeated them (Ark of Truth)?  Obviously those are both situational, but very useful.

Also, they could reverse engineer the Kull Warrior weapons, which are smaller, still have infinite ammo, and are more accurate than staffs, even when aimed from the wrist, and do plenty of damage as well.  Obviously Asgard weapons would be the future, but the Kull were in Season 7.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts

Probably the same reason they didnt have them in Atlantis. Why is it that SGU has no P90's when they were the primary weapon for both SG1 and A? Tealc was also the only one to ever carry a Zat unless it was a special case for the rest of the team.

They probably didnt bring them because the writers wants the audience forget about how powerful they made the zats and how often they were used as a crutch (kinda like how the stones used to be).

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 themyrmidon

SG1 and SGA were both exploratory units.  The SGU team was stationed at a Icarus Base and wasn't meant for anything other than simple, defensive combat.  P90's make sense for the SGC and SGA because of the barrel-in-body design, making them more compact, where a more conventional assault rifle would be better for defensive purposes.

My big question on SGU is, when are they going to run out of ammo? 

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts

If the show was logical though Zats would be standard for every armed guard since it stuns first and then kills and is unlimited. Its also perfect for space ships since it wont punch a hole through the ship lol. Also when they were based on that planet the M4's would be about as effective as the P90's since i dont think they really were firing at range and the complex was all indoors making a smaller weapon like the P90 more effective plus the extra ammo.

M60's and .50's on the outside plus maybe missiles and rail guns are much more effective at defense.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theone86

If the show was logical though Zats would be standard for every armed guard since it stuns first and then kills and is unlimited. Its also perfect for space ships since it wont punch a hole through the ship lol. Also when they were based on that planet the M4's would be about as effective as the P90's since i dont think they really were firing at range and the complex was all indoors making a smaller weapon like the P90 more effective plus the extra ammo.

M60's and .50's on the outside plus maybe missiles and rail guns are much more effective at defense.

Kurushio

Yeah, but if you miss a shot with a zat on a spaceship you'll stun everyone in the room, right?

soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts

SG1 and SGA were both exploratory units.  The SGU team was stationed at a Icarus Base and wasn't meant for anything other than simple, defensive combat.  P90's make sense for the SGC and SGA because of the barrel-in-body design, making them more compact, where a more conventional assault rifle would be better for defensive purposes.

My big question on SGU is, when are they going to run out of ammo? 

themyrmidon

You hit the nail on the head as to why I thought about it, running out of ammo.  I did finish the first season, but thanks for hiding the spoiler.  Though I wouldn't expect everyone to carry energy weapons, I still would have some on hand.

As for the P90's, they're a Belgian weapon mostly for special forces.  Standard US issue is the M4 Carbine which has different ammo than a P90.  Carrying different weapons means carrying double the ammunition, especially since the bulk of the military force is probably not trained in P90 use.Â