NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

With Phantom Hourglass on the horizon, I thought it would be a good idea to start a PH countdown thread :)

For those who don't know, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is the latest installment of the Zelda series for the Nintendo DS. It is a direct sequel of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker on the Nintendo Gamecube and is set several months after its events. Players will once again play as the young hero in green, Link, as he embarks on a new journey to rescue his friend Tetra, who was last seen aboard a mysterious ghost ship.

Phantom Hourglass was first released in Japan on June 23, 2007 and has been a huge success. It even obtained the incredible score of 39 out of 40 from popular Japanese gaming magasine, Famitsu.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is scheduled to be released in North America on October 1, 2007, in Europe on the 19th and in Australia on the 24th.

----------------------------------------------

Reviews

IGN

Eurogamer

Zentendo

Neoseeker

GameSpot

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NWA_31
So, is anyone getting it on day 1 or has already pre-ordered ?
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
So many games coming so soon... it feels like just yesterday I bought Metroid Prime 3, and it has been a week already. :shock: Now there are only a meager twenty nine days left until Phantom Hourglass comes out! But yeah, I'm getting it on day one. I should probably pre-order it now that I think about it...
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#4 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Well I have to wait a little longer until the 19th October but yes definetly am getting this it looks ace.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NWA_31

So many games coming so soon... it feels like just yesterday I bought Metroid Prime 3, and it has been a week already. :shock: Now there are only a meager twenty nine days left until Phantom Hourglass comes out! But yeah, I'm getting it on day one. I should probably pre-order it now that I think about it...REVOLUTIONfreak

I know what you mean, I can't believe we're already in September. Time sure flies.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Gary_Jinfield
Member since 2005 • 6614 Posts

I stickied this thread as it is rather useful with the approach of Phantom Hourglass looming. Once the reviews start coming in, we should add them to the first post. That way, individuals unsure of the game can check this thread for various reviews and information on Phantom Hourglass and decide whether they would want to attain the game.

Although it is already destined to be awesome.:P

Chaos_Angel_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 Chaos_Angel_14
Member since 2004 • 3805 Posts

I'm still not sure if I'll be getting this lol.
Like I posted in a prior thread.....I'd need a ds for it...and i dunno if a ds is worth the purchase of a system since it would only be one game...and of top of that, I've never been a fan of the handheld zelda (I didnt really like the oracle games or links awakening, and my little sister lost my gba the week before the minish cap came out....so I never got to play that one.) With that said it IS still zelda, so I'm obviously still excited for it....but I'm not sure if I'll get to play it..

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
I'd like to get it on day one, but money doesn't come easy when you don't have a job. :P I'll definitely be getting it either on Christmas or before that though.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 REVOLUTIONfreak

I stickied this thread as it is rather useful with the approach of Phantom Hourglass looming. Once the reviews start coming in, we should add them to the first post. That way, individuals unsure of the game can check this thread for various reviews and information on Phantom Hourglass and decide whether they would want to attain the game.

Gary_Jinfield
So, how POed would you be if Gamespot flopped Phantom Hourglass Twilight Princess/Metroid Prime 3: Corruption style? I could easily predict an 8.5, but I honestly think that this is one game that is almost guaranteed AAA. Famitsu gave it a 39/40 after all.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]

REVOLUTIONfreak

So, how POed would you be if Gamespot flopped Phantom Hourglass Twilight Princess/Metroid Prime 3: Corruption style? I could easily predict an 8.5, but I honestly think that this is one game that is almost guaranteed AAA. Famitsu gave it a 39/40 after all.

Famitsu gave a similar score to Twilight Princess did it not?:P Not to mention Blue Dragon received a relatively high score from them as well.

Hopefully Phantom Hourglass does not suffer a similar fate, but it won't matter in the long run. At the very least, it is unlikely that Phantom Hourglass will get pegged for the same reasons.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
Well, I don't care what Gamespot says, I'm sure Phantom Hoyurglass will be wonderful! And I'll get it on the first day, or maybe a couple days after that.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gary_Jinfield

Well, I don't care what Gamespot says, I'm sure Phantom Hoyurglass will be wonderful! And I'll get it on the first day, or maybe a couple days after that.DJ-Lafleur

Thats the spirit!

nighdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nighdragon
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Well, I don't care what Gamespot says, I'm sure Phantom Hoyurglass will be wonderful! And I'll get it on the first day, or maybe a couple days after that.DJ-Lafleur

well if you try to get a couple days later they will probaly be out, but who knows!!!

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]Well, I don't care what Gamespot says, I'm sure Phantom Hoyurglass will be wonderful! And I'll get it on the first day, or maybe a couple days after that.nighdragon

well if you try to get a couple days later they will probaly be out, but who knows!!!

I might get it on the day it comes out, depends on what's going on afterschool at home.

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]

Gary_Jinfield

Famitsu gave a similar score to Twilight Princess did it not?:P Not to mention Blue Dragon received a relatively high score from them as well.

Hopefully Phantom Hourglass does not suffer a similar fate, but it won't matter in the long run. At the very least, it is unlikely that Phantom Hourglass will get pegged for the same reasons.

Well, let's look at the facts:

Gorgeous visuals, especially for a DS game.

Touch control changes the gameplay aspect of the game from other Zelda franchises, and isn't "tacked on" like Twilight Princess' motion control.

Sound is, well, Zelda music. How can you not like Zelda music? :)

Value: A reasonably lengthy adventure and an extra Wi-Fi mode.

Overall: A superb DS game.

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NWA_31

Touch control changes the gameplay aspect of the game from other Zelda franchises, and isn't "tacked on" like Twilight Princess' motion control.

REVOLUTIONfreak

Don't underestimate Gamespot's ability to write bad reviews :P

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gary_Jinfield

[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]Well, let's look at the facts:

NWA_31

Exactly.:P They may knock it for overly simple puzzle controls or that the game is too similar to previous games in some crazy way. Despite this, my instinct tells me that Phantom Hourglass will do very well, even on GameSpot.

Granted my instinct is terrible, so there you go.

GamerGirlPwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GamerGirlPwnz
Member since 2006 • 4501 Posts

Wow, I never really knew the information behing the Phantom Hourglass :shock: But I am getting it! Not pre-ordering, though, becase that makes me count down every second before it comes out :P

But I would love to get! And it would make a good Christmas gift ;) And I especially loves the graphics. Is not like a classic Zelda game, buts its unique and new, and it has a future :lol:

I'm sure Gamespot won't rate it that badly. I mean, Gamespot would NOT consider it mediocre, which is the best :lol: And there are rarely and perfect games so... I guess we just have to wait and see :D

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]

REVOLUTIONfreak

Zelda+Wi-fi=AWESOME!!!

this could end up one of my favorite DS games. :D

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="NWA_31"]

Gary_Jinfield

Exactly.:P They may knock it for overly simple puzzle controls or that the game is too similar to previous games in some crazy way. Despite this, my instinct tells me that Phantom Hourglass will do very well, even on GameSpot.

Well, the new mechanics make it different than the other Zelda games, just like OoT's 3D gameplay was different than other Zelda games (just in a bigger way, of course). Besides, Gamespot hasn't given out one AAA score to a portable at all this year to the best of my knowledge, so if any game is to get a AAA score, this will.
GamerGirlPwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GamerGirlPwnz
Member since 2006 • 4501 Posts
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]

DJ-Lafleur

Zelda+Wi-fi=AWESOME!!!

this could end up one of my favorite DS games. :D

Lol! But from the facts, I tihnk it will be one of many favourite DS games for Zelda gamers everywhere! :D

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="NWA_31"]

REVOLUTIONfreak

Well, the new mechanics make it different than the other Zelda games, just like OoT's 3D gameplay was different than other Zelda games (just in a bigger way, of course). Besides, Gamespot hasn't given out one AAA score to a portable at all this year to the best of my knowledge, so if any game is to get a AAA score, this will.

Well, what if I were to tell you before the Wii launched that the only games to have a AAA score from GameSpot by September of 2007 would be Wario Ware: Smooth Moves and the Virtual Console Paper Mario?:P

Events can turn out oddly.

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 REVOLUTIONfreak

^ Correction, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition also got a AAA score on Wii. :P Besides, this is the DS we are talking about, Gamespot likes the DS, they just hate the Wii. :lol:

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gary_Jinfield

^ Correction, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition also got a AAA score on Wii. :P Besides, this is the DS we are talking about, Gamespot likes the DS, they just hate the Wii. :lol:

REVOLUTIONfreak

My mistake, but one would most likely still not expect it.:P

Perhaps, but it is still best not to count on GameSpot giving an AAA score.

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

Gary_Jinfield

True, but I can still hope. :)
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

REVOLUTIONfreak

I suppose you can.:P

But it is anyone's guess at this point.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

Gary_Jinfield

yup, it all depends on Gamestop's rating system (in other words, it's not going to happen :P)

but seriously, maybe PH will be so good that GS will have to give it an AAA score.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

DJ-Lafleur

yup, it all depends on Gamestop's rating system (in other words, it's not going to happen :P)

but seriously, maybe PH will be so good that GS will have to give it an AAA score.

Perhaps, but even then they could find something to knock it for if they really wanted to.

Its all politics with the reviews in the world of GameSpot today, notr really about the actual quality of a game.:P

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

Gary_Jinfield

Perhaps, but even then they could find something to knock it for if they really wanted to.

Its all politics with the reviews in the world of GameSpot today, notr really about the actual quality of a game.:P

Yeah, maybe they'll reduce the score just because the game was too good for their liking. :|

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NWA_31

Yeah, maybe they'll reduce the score just because the game was too good for their liking. :|

DJ-Lafleur

Isn't that what they did with Metroid Prime 3 ? They said something about the controls being "too good".

OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
If seen the full Japanese copy, and accordingto the person playing it it's one of the best Zelda's he's played in a long time. Innovative, great puzzles, and good controls. I'd say 9.0 is a safe bet.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gary_Jinfield

If seen the full Japanese copy, and accordingto the person playing it it's one of the best Zelda's he's played in a long time. Innovative, great puzzles, and good controls. I'd say 9.0 is a safe bet.OhhSnap50893

I have heard similar sentiments from other reviews and individuals as well. Still, there has been some statements about the puzzles being a bit too easy...

I guess we won't find out until the game comes out in the rest of the world.:P

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]If seen the full Japanese copy, and accordingto the person playing it it's one of the best Zelda's he's played in a long time. Innovative, great puzzles, and good controls. I'd say 9.0 is a safe bet.Gary_Jinfield

I have heard similar sentiments from other reviews and individuals as well. Still, there has been some statements about the puzzles being a bit too easy...

Indeed, but if the puzzles are clever, interesting, and fun, I won't care if they're too hard or too easy.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]

[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]If seen the full Japanese copy, and accordingto the person playing it it's one of the best Zelda's he's played in a long time. Innovative, great puzzles, and good controls. I'd say 9.0 is a safe bet.DJ-Lafleur

Indeed, but if the puzzles are clever, interesting, and fun, I won't care if they're too hard or too easy.

GameSpot will care though.:P

But that shouldn't effect one's own enjoyment of a game really.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Frankly I could care less if it gets a bad review from GS. Also GS didn't flop Twilight Princess they gave it an 8.9. To me a flopis a 6.5 and below. I myself would have given it a 9.4. It was one of the best Zelda games ever I played, but it didn't have enough side quest. That may be because of the lack of characters to talk to. The side quest in the game didn't feel like side quest. I say they were more like required quest becaused you had no choice but to do them if you wanted to progress further through the game.

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gary_Jinfield

Frankly I could care less if it gets a bad review from GS. Also GS didn't flop Twilight Princess they gave it an 8.9. To me a flopis a 6.5 and below. I myself would have given it a 9.4. It was one of the best Zelda games ever I played, but it didn't have enough side quest. That may be because of the lack of characters to talk to. The side quest in the game didn't feel like side quest. I say they were more like required quest becaused you had no choice but to do them if you wanted to progress further through the game.

Celsius765

It was a flop by GameSpot standards though. The game was hyped to be the best game ever, hence it was at least expected to surpass the score of 9.0...

Flop is designated by general hype, although that should not effect one's actual enjoyment of a game.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DJ-Lafleur
Yes, I'm not one tolet hype effect any game I play, I mean, you can't expect games to be as good as some extremely excited fan says it may be.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="Celsius765"]

Gary_Jinfield

It was a flop by GameSpot standards though. The game was hyped to be the best game ever, hence it was at least expected to surpass the score of 9.0...

Flop is designated by general hype, although that should not effect one's actual enjoyment of a game.

It shouldn't, but it does. I can honestly say that I enjoyed TP less because of the high expectations created by the hype.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gary_Jinfield
[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"][QUOTE="Celsius765"]

REVOLUTIONfreak

It shouldn't, but it does. I can honestly say that I enjoyed TP less because of the high expectations created by the hype.

Well, Tp was kind of a special case. Even Nintendo was hyping it to be the best game ever created. It was hard not to be disappointed with the final product.:P

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NWA_31

Judging from its success in Japan, though, I think it's safe to say that Phantom Hourglass will be one of the best games on Nintendo DS, if not THE best.

Just don't expect a good review from Gamespot :P

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gary_Jinfield

Exactly.

Besides, Zelda games generally are some of the best games available for system, even the "lessor" titles.

Chaos_Angel_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chaos_Angel_14
It'll get at least a Nine...i know it
they will say taht teh touch controls are exactly what the franchise needed to no get stale...or something lame like that :?
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gary_Jinfield

It'll get at least a Nine...i know it
they will say taht teh touch controls are exactly what the franchise needed to no get stale...or something lame like that :SChaos_Angel_14

Nothing is absolute, but it is a likely possibility.

Although that 8.5 is looming in the distance...:P

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NWA_31
I swear I'm never going to read a Gamespot review ever again if it gets a 8.5 :P Of course, that's unless Phantom Hourglass really doesn't deserve a 9... but that's unlikely.
Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gary_Jinfield

anything can happen.:P

Review from GameInformer, the score anyways.:P

Chaos_Angel_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chaos_Angel_14
I've come to a conlcusion on my phantom hourglass issue ( i know your all sooo interested) :P
but yes
I'm going to buy the game (to add to my zelda collection)
and rent/ borrow my friendsds
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NWA_31

Gary_Jinfield

9.5 out of 9.5 ? ...Or is that 2 scores ?

I've come to a conlcusion on my phantom hourglass issue ( i know your all sooo interested) :P
but yes
and rent/ borrow my friendsdsChaos_Angel_14

Cool. ;)

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gary_Jinfield

[QUOTE="Gary_Jinfield"]

NWA_31

9.5 out of 9.5 ? ...Or is that 2 scores ?

but yes
and rent/ borrow my friendsdsChaos_Angel_14

Cool. ;)

Two different scores most likely. Gameinformer uses several different reviewers for games.

And Chaos_Angel_14, your going to buy the game but not a DS?:P Why not simply get your friend to buy the game instead, then you can just borrow both?

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gary_Jinfield

Another review score, this time from Nintendo Power.

Another 9.5 for Phantom Hourglass!