waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

User Lists: 0

#1 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts

One thing that strikes me when I read timeline theories based on the split timeline, is that it is hard to say anything about the child timeline unless you have decided how you think the time travel works when Link is sent back in time. I can think of two possible options.

1) When Link leaves Hyrule to search for Navi, he don't have to fight Ganondorf, because he already have. When he is sent back in time, the things he did before he was sent back have already been done, so Ganondorf is sealed away and Hyrule is safe (for now).

2) When Link travels back in time, all he did has been reset, so the only diference from before he started his adventure, is that he knows it would be a mistake to open the door of time. Ganondorf is not sealed away, but he will not get his hands on the triforce because Link leaves Hyrule and take the Ocarina of Time with him, so noone but him can open the Door of time.

The diference between the two of those is that in the first one Ganondorf will be sealed away and the Triforce will no longer rest in the Sacret Realm, while in the second one Ganondorf will still be out there, but the Triforce will be in one piece and safely resting in the Sacret Realm.

So which one do you think is the right one.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MaceKhan
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

One thing that strikes me when I read timeline theories based on the split timeline, is that it is hard to say anything about the child timeline unless you have decided how you think the time travel works when Link is sent back in time. I can think of two possible options.

1) When Link leaves Hyrule to search for Navi, he don't have to fight Ganondorf, because he already have. When he is sent back in time, the things he did before he was sent back have already been done, so Ganondorf is sealed away and Hyrule is safe (for now).

2) When Link travels back in time, all he did has been reset, so the only diference from before he started his adventure, is that he knows it would be a mistake to open the door of time. Ganondorf is not sealed away, but he will not get his hands on the triforce because Link leaves Hyrule and take the Ocarina of Time with him, so noone but him can open the Door of time.

The diference between the two of those is that in the first one Ganondorf will be sealed away and the Triforce will no longer rest in the Sacret Realm, while in the second one Ganondorf will still be out there, but the Triforce will be in one piece and safely resting in the Sacret Realm.

So which one do you think is the right one.

waZelda
Thats the right one. After being sent back in time Link went to visit the royal family and told them what would happen in the future, the royal family beleived him and attempted to have the sages execute Ganon(who the sages are and were they come from is not explained and is just one of those bad continuity things that should be overlooked) this failed however and they were forced to banish him to the twilight realm(the cutscene from TP). It has been theorized that the reason there is no mention of the Hero of Time in TP, is because since Link travelled back in time there was no Hero of Time in the child timeline, but what he told the Royal family after he became a child again was then passed down as legend.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

I don't think either is right. According to Wind Waker, Link defeated Ganondorf as a kid...

"This is but one of the legends of which the people speak... Long
ago, there existed a kingdom where a golden power lay hidden. It was a prosperous land blessed with green forests, tall mountains, and peace. But one day, a man of great evil found the golden power and took it for himself. With its strength at his command, he spread darkness across the kingdom. But then, when all hope had died, and the hour of doom seemed at hand... a young boy clothed in green appeared as if from nowhere. Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This boy, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Time. The boy's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend... But then... a day came when a fell wind began to blow across the kingdom. The great evil that all thought had been forever sealed by the hero... once again crept forth from the depths of the earth eager to resume its dark designs. The people believed that the Hero of Time would again come to save them... But the hero did not appear. Faced by an onslaught of evil, the people could do nothing but appeal to the gods. In their last hours, as doom drew nigh, they left their future in the hands of fate. What became of that kingdom? None remained who knew. The memory of the kingdom vanished, but its legend survived on the wind's breath. On a certain island, it became customary to garb boys in green when they came of age. Clothed in the green of fields, they aspired to find heroic blades and cast down evil. The elders wished only for the youths to know courage like the hero of legend"

What I don't understand is how does that split the timeline ? According to the theory, Zelda sends Link back to his own time and by doing so, creates 2 timelines: One where Link is in Hyrule and one in the future where he is nowhere to be found. But that doesn't make any sense, because if Link goes back to his time, all he has to do is stay there for 7 years. He would still be around in the future, why would he vanish all of a sudden ?

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MaceKhan

I don't think either is right. According to Wind Waker, Link defeated Ganondorf as a kid...

"This is but one of the legends of which the people speak... Long
ago, there existed a kingdom where a golden power lay hidden. It was a prosperous land blessed with green forests, tall mountains, and peace. But one day, a man of great evil found the golden power and took it for himself. With its strength at his command, he spread darkness across the kingdom. But then, when all hope had died, and the hour of doom seemed at hand... a young boy clothed in green appeared as if from nowhere. Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This boy, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Time. The boy's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend... But then... a day came when a fell wind began to blow across the kingdom. The great evil that all thought had been forever sealed by the hero... once again crept forth from the depths of the earth eager to resume its dark designs. The people believed that the Hero of Time would again come to save them... But the hero did not appear. Faced by an onslaught of evil, the people could do nothing but appeal to the gods. In their last hours, as doom drew nigh, they left their future in the hands of fate. What became of that kingdom? None remained who knew. The memory of the kingdom vanished, but its legend survived on the wind's breath. On a certain island, it became customary to garb boys in green when they came of age. Clothed in the green of fields, they aspired to find heroic blades and cast down evil. The elders wished only for the youths to know courage like the hero of legend"

What I don't understand is how does that split the timeline ? According to the theory, Zelda sends Link back to his own time and by doing so, creates 2 timelines: One where Link is in Hyrule and one in the future where he is nowhere to be found. But that doesn't make any sense, because if Link goes back to his time, all he has to do is stay there for 7 years. He would still be around in the future, why would he vanish all of a sudden ?

NWA_31
Because when he went back in time it altered the timeline? All I know is that it was confirmed by Nintendo(links can be found in my topic).
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NWA_31

Like I said, it doesn't make sense. If Link goes back to his time, he should still be around in the future. Unless he died or something, there's no reason as to why he's nowhere to be found 7 years later.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MaceKhan

Like I said, it doesn't make sense. If Link goes back to his time, he should still be around in the future. Unless he died or something, there's no reason as to why he's nowhere to be found 7 years later.

NWA_31
Thats were the "split" comes in. I wish I was better at explaining, oh well, here goes, when Link went back in time it created another timeline so the events of OoT continue after Zelda sent Link back in time without Link in one timeline, and in the other timeline Link was able to stop OoT from ever happening therefore changing the future. And thats why they had to get a new Link in WW that wasn't a descendant of the Hero because he had been sent back in time so he no longer existed in the "Adult Timeline". Hope that explained it, and your right time travel never makes sense.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NWA_31

Thats were the "split" comes in. I wish I was better at explaining, oh well, here goes, when Link went back in time it created another timeline so the events of OoT continue after Zelda sent Link back in time without Link in one timeline, and in the other timeline Link was able to stop OoT from ever happening therefore changing the future. And thats why they had to get a new Link in WW that wasn't a descendant of the Hero because he had been sent back in time so he no longer existed in the "Adult Timeline". Hope that explained it, and your right time travel never makes sense.MaceKhan

Ah... but in that case, if Link stops OOT from ever happening, then wouldn't the future dark Hyrule with no Link not exist at all ? Now, I'm confused :P

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MaceKhan

[QUOTE="MaceKhan"]Thats were the "split" comes in. I wish I was better at explaining, oh well, here goes, when Link went back in time it created another timeline so the events of OoT continue after Zelda sent Link back in time without Link in one timeline, and in the other timeline Link was able to stop OoT from ever happening therefore changing the future. And thats why they had to get a new Link in WW that wasn't a descendant of the Hero because he had been sent back in time so he no longer existed in the "Adult Timeline". Hope that explained it, and your right time travel never makes sense.NWA_31

Ah... but in that case, if Link stops OOT from ever happening, then wouldn't the future dark Hyrule with no Link not exist at all ? Now, I'm confused :P

LOL, yes time travel is a confusing topic, but I've been watching Star Trek off and on since I was six so I have a basic understanding of how its suppossed to work. Anyway sending Link back created a seperate timeline which makes it so there are two timelines, the Young Link timeline where Link was sent back in time and stopped OoT is one timeline. And the events that take place in the adult Link timeline after Link was sent back in time is the other timeline. Thats why they call it a split timeline because there was originally one timeline but because Link was sent back, in time it created another timeline, so now there are two timelines. Hope I cleared up some of your confusion.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NWA_31

LOL, yes time travel is a confusing topic, but I've been watching Star Trek off and on since I was six so I have a basic understanding of how its suppossed to work. Anyway sending Link back created a seperate timeline which makes it so there are two timelines, the Young Link timeline where Link was sent back in time and stopped OoT is one timeline. And the events that take place in the adult Link timeline after Link was sent back in time is the other timeline. Thats why they call it a split timeline because there was originally one timeline but because Link was sent back, in time it created another timeline, so now there are two timelines. Hope I cleared up some of your confusion.MaceKhan

Ah, let me clarify: I totally understand what you're telling me, but that explanation is exactly why it doesn't make sense. :P

What I'm saying is... If young Link stops the adult Link events from ever happening, then how comes the adult Link timeline exists at all ?

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MaceKhan

Its like a river that forks, the river (time) flows in two seperate directions. One branch is the adult timeline, the other branch is the child timeline.

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waZelda

NWA_31

It depends on how traveling back in time works (as this topic is to discuss). It seems that Zelda thought sending someone back in time could be dangerous because it ment history could be changed. That's why when she send him back, she didn't give him the opportunity to change history, but to make a new history - a new timeline. There are so many ways time travel can happen. In Harry Potter when he goes back in time, there is two Harry Potters, the one from his past and the one from his present. But in Zelda when Link goes back in time, there is only one Link. Time traves are confusing.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MaceKhan
Thank you waZelda, thats what I was trying to say but the words just weren't coming to me. When Link was sent back in time it didn't change the timeline it created a new timeline.
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NWA_31

I still don't get how one can create a new timeline, though. The way I see it, if young Link prevents the adult timeline from ever happening, then it shouldn't exist at all. :P

But let's not debate something so trivial. Time travel may not even be possible, anyways, so this is all just speculation.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MaceKhan

Let's just say that it is the way that it is.:P

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NWA_31

Let's just say that it is the way that it is.:P

MaceKhan

Yeah, there really is no other way, is there ? :P

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 waZelda

I still don't get how one can create a new timeline, though. The way I see it, if young Link prevents the adult timeline from ever happening, then it shouldn't exist at all. :P

But let's not debate something so trivial. Time travel may not even be possible, anyways, so this is all just speculation.

NWA_31

Personally I believe time travels is possible. Though it might take 10 000 years or something until we figure out how to do it. I mean, time is a dimention just like longitude, and height, why shouldn't it be possible to travel in time?