Handheld Zelda Moves to 3-D, how do you feel about this?

awbailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 awbailey
Member since 2004 • 73 Posts

I am curious to see how others feel about this. I know that when I played Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Iwas really impressed with the 3-D graphics. However as I played more 3-D Zelda games(ex:Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask) I started to really miss the 2-D feel of the originals. I personally find the 2-D environments much more challenging as the developers seem to focus more on the puzzles and dungeon navigation than on the graphics. So I found myself waiting eagerly for each handheld release of Zelda. Then came Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and I was really disappointed that technology has reached a point where we might never see another 2-D Zelda game. Anyways how do you guys feel about this?

Avatar image for kingofcosmos231
kingofcosmos231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 kingofcosmos231
Member since 2008 • 763 Posts
alttp on the gba was my first zelda game and definately my favorite over ph, twp, oot, and the wind waker which are all 3d. I definately would prefer 2d graphics for a handheld but I would prefer 3d graphics for the console versions.
TheKrystalGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheKrystalGame
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

I personally like the 3-D feel more. I still like the 2-D games, but I just enjoy the 3-D ones more. I find them more immersive, I enjoy wandering the enviroments*, and as for the puzzles part, I think the 3-D games have more potential for challenging puzzles because of the extra dimension. Most of the puzzles in the 2-D ones I could solve just by going square by square and trying things from there. Same goes for the minigames. I don't think an archery minigame from a 2-D game could compete with an archery game from the 3-D games. Finally, the music from any of the 2-D games has yet to compete with the music from Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Wind Waker's theme is still the best Gamecube music, the Lost Woods theme and the Goron theme have aged amazingly, and Epona's Song still holds a place in my heart as the best song in a video game. Ever. Still, this is just my opinion.

*I'm not a person whose obsessed with graphics, but seeing Hyrule Field or Lon Lon Ranch from a 3-D perspective just makes me go "Wow." the first time and makes me feel more relaxed every other time.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

alttp on the gba was my first zelda game and definately my favorite over ph, twp, oot, and the wind waker which are all 3d. I definately would prefer 2d graphics for a handheld but I would prefer 3d graphics for the console versions.kingofcosmos231

...:|

I'd say handhelds should stay in 2D. LA is probably the best handheld Zelda game ever. (ALttP remake doesn't count since it's a remake) With Minish Cap following.

3D games should stay on consoles where they belong.

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#5 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts

I personally like the 3-D feel more. I still like the 2-D games, but I just enjoy the 3-D ones more. I find them more immersive, I enjoy wandering the enviroments*, and as for the puzzles part, I think the 3-D games have more potential for challenging puzzles because of the extra dimension. Most of the puzzles in the 2-D ones I could solve just by going square by square and trying things from there. Same goes for the minigames. I don't think an archery minigame from a 2-D game could compete with an archery game from the 3-D games. Finally, the music from any of the 2-D games has yet to compete with the music from Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Wind Waker's theme is still the best Gamecube music, the Lost Woods theme and the Goron theme have aged amazingly, and Epona's Song still holds a place in my heart as the best song in a video game. Ever. Still, this is just my opinion.

*I'm not a person whose obsessed with graphics, but seeing Hyrule Field or Lon Lon Ranch from a 3-D perspective just makes me go "Wow." the first time and makes me feel more relaxed every other time.

TheKrystalGame

Wow, I agree with you a hundred percent on everything you said. I also prefer the puzzles in the 3D games. I like the gameplay better in the 3D games, however when it comes to boss fights, I must admit that some of the 2D bosses are very good, maybe better than the 3D bosses.

MaceKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MaceKhan
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts
[QUOTE="TheKrystalGame"]

waZelda

Wow, I agree with you a hundred percent on everything you said. I also prefer the puzzles in the 3D games. I like the gameplay better in the 3D games, however when it comes to boss fights, I must admit that some of the 2D bosses are very good, maybe better than the 3D bosses.

I agree aswell.
HylianHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HylianHeart
Member since 2006 • 1094 Posts
While OoT is my favorite Zelda game of all, ALttP is so very close behind. And as a matter of fact, I myself have started to miss the old 2D ones. But seeing Zelda in 3D blew me away and I'll never forget that feeling. I also kinda felt that since the games have been in 3D, the player has to look at things differently. It's easier to miss things and it is no longer a matter of push this or pull that or light this thing on fire. All in all, I think both ways have major advantages. Perhaps on e of the biggest for the 2D games are the feelings of nostalgia.
Avatar image for mastetofthedark
mastetofthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 mastetofthedark
Member since 2008 • 16924 Posts
All of the handheld 2-d games are excellent.