Is The Gaming Industry Going In The Right Direction?

• 86 results
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Do you think most games are going in the right direction? Or are the games going for quantity these days and less for quality?

ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 ikhzo
Member since 2008 • 23442 Posts
Did any quality game get released this year so far? ....Naah!
RoseFlambe169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 RoseFlambe169
Member since 2009 • 11700 Posts
Hah! I was just having a conversation about this! Wait, wait... I need to go to school. I'll come back and put in my two cents.
govinator07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 govinator07
Member since 2005 • 6352 Posts

Did any quality game get released this year so far? ....Naah!ikhzo

Are you CRAZY?! Amy freaking came out!! Masterpiece! On a serious note FFXIII-2 came out which I have heard good things from.

On topic however, I think it depends on where you're looking. There are developers that are indeed looking more into quantity and rushing their product to make a quick buck, then charge more for extras/ add-ons that were supposed to be in the game in the first place and/ or are just overpriced.

I just think that a lot of the times the games that feel rushed or that come out often are not always the developers fault and instead falls back onto the publisher. EA, for example, constantly pushes its studios to get games out and therefore can diminish the quality and in the same token add to the quantity.

At the same time, it is possible to have both. A prime example is the Uncharted series which had three releases within 2 and a half years (UC2: 2009, UC3: 2011, Golden Abyss: 2012). Granted they are not all on the same system, (and GA isn't developed by ND) it is still a high quantity of games while still maintaining a very high quality. Not to mention ND is working on TLU which could be released this year as well.

With that said, when talking about the industry in the sense of quality vs quantity, I do think it is heading in the right direction but at the same time takes some steps back. Like two steps foward and one step back. I still lean towards no however, but only slightly.

I wrote this in pieces... so I have no clue if the continuity in my statement makes sense :P 

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts
Depends on the developer. Like activision, i say they have a more quantity approach as you can see with their yearly CoD installment. Developers like valve on the other hand take time with their games.
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts
Developers like valve on the other hand take time with their games.naju890_963
True but many hate Blizzard for the same reason.
govinator07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 govinator07
Member since 2005 • 6352 Posts

[QUOTE="naju890_963"] Developers like valve on the other hand take time with their games.siddarthshetty

To add on, just becuase a company takes time on a game does not guarantee the quality of it either. *cough* Duke Nukem *cough* 

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride
What the point of the topic is, is gaming going the right direction. More people seem to crave yearly not so updated games instead of games in long development. Fifa and COD series are the best examples of this
ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ikhzo

[QUOTE="siddarthshetty"][QUOTE="naju890_963"] Developers like valve on the other hand take time with their games.govinator07

To add on, just becuase a company takes time on a game does not guarantee the quality of it either. *cough* Duke Nukem *cough* 

Diablo 3 will be a dud too. 

RoseFlambe169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 RoseFlambe169
Member since 2009 • 11700 Posts
What makes you say that? :?
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 naju890_963

[QUOTE="siddarthshetty"][QUOTE="naju890_963"] Developers like valve on the other hand take time with their games.govinator07

DNF was on a whole other plane. It was being shifted by developers constantly and also being stopped and revived. Somebody had to put it out of it's misery.
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12 stephenage
Member since 2007 • 33416 Posts

Did any quality game get released this year so far? ....Naah!ikhzo

1. It's February

2. Yes.

ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ikhzo

[QUOTE="ikhzo"]Did any quality game get released this year so far? ....Naah!stephenage

1. It's February

2. Yes.

There have been quite some games released already like FF, Amalaur, Darkness2, Soulcaliber..but none have been suprisingly good. 

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 bugbag
Member since 2006 • 33275 Posts
[QUOTE="stephenage"]

[QUOTE="ikhzo"]Did any quality game get released this year so far? ....Naah!ikhzo

1. It's February

2. Yes.

There have been quite some games released already like FF, Amalaur, Darkness2, Soulcaliber..but none have been suprisingly good. 

I agree Ikhzo. This year will be great soon though, with Mass Effect 3 coming soon.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts
I'd say that most games are getting streamlinned. Halo, COD, whatever, the main stuff that sells. Its all just rehash. However there are games out there that may not be perfect, but certainly hit a note that isnt being focused on. Focusing on ideas and different gameplay aspects. LA Noire, Mafia II (yeah the games I always bring up deal with it). SR3 was good, as many in the union would protest. Its unique, and basically does what it want to rather than just rereleasing SR2 because it sold. Splinter Cell Conviction switched up the pace, and I like that. I am a huge SC fan, but its nice not to just see a rehash (though theyve been good with keeping it fresh anyway) .
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 siddarthshetty

AC 3 will be released this year, so they are also releasing games every year now.

ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ikhzo

AC 3 will be released this year, so they are also releasing games every year now.

siddarthshetty

They need to take some lessons from Blizzard. :|

Avatar image for nintendo_warrio
nintendo_warrio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendo_warrio
Member since 2007 • 21608 Posts
The only way AC3 could work is if you play as Desmond.
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stephenage

I'd say that most games are getting streamlinned. Halo, COD, whatever, the main stuff that sells. Its all just rehash. However there are games out there that may not be perfect, but certainly hit a note that isnt being focused on. Focusing on ideas and different gameplay aspects. LA Noire, Mafia II (yeah the games I always bring up deal with it). SR3 was good, as many in the union would protest. Its unique, and basically does what it want to rather than just rereleasing SR2 because it sold. Splinter Cell Conviction switched up the pace, and I like that. I am a huge SC fan, but its nice not to just see a rehash (though theyve been good with keeping it fresh anyway) . bob_toeback

I don't think Halo fits there.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bob_toeback

[QUOTE="bob_toeback"]I'd say that most games are getting streamlinned. Halo, COD, whatever, the main stuff that sells. Its all just rehash. However there are games out there that may not be perfect, but certainly hit a note that isnt being focused on. Focusing on ideas and different gameplay aspects. LA Noire, Mafia II (yeah the games I always bring up deal with it). SR3 was good, as many in the union would protest. Its unique, and basically does what it want to rather than just rereleasing SR2 because it sold. Splinter Cell Conviction switched up the pace, and I like that. I am a huge SC fan, but its nice not to just see a rehash (though theyve been good with keeping it fresh anyway) . stephenage

I don't think Halo fits there.

As getting streamlinned? Why not, their games suck

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stephenage
Halo games do not suck.
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 naju890_963
Well, Reach got the streamlined treatment seeing it got the class system every FPS is incorporating.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bob_toeback

Halo games do not suck.stephenage

yes they do. Some of the worst games I've ever played. The first one was really good, and the Anniversary was a good idea, and turned out great. Halo 3 was good. The rest sucked

And not only the class system, just the fact that it has little to offer in addition to what we saw in Halo 3. It feels rather incomplete

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stephenage

Well, Reach got the streamlined treatment seeing it got the class system every FPS is incorporating.naju890_963

That's not streamlining. That's adding more complexity if anything.

[QUOTE="stephenage"]Halo games do not suck.bob_toeback

yes they do. Some of the worst games I've ever played. The first one was really good, and the Anniversary was a good idea, and turned out great. Halo 3 was good. The rest sucked

And not only the class system, just the fact that it has little to offer in addition to what we saw in Halo 3. It feels rather incomplete

The halo games don't suck. Saying they do is foolish.

Some of the worst games you've played? That's a blatent lie unless you have only played Halo games.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bob_toeback
It's not a blatent lie. I mean, I'm sure Ive played some bad games. like "State of Emergency" which was ok,but still lame. But Halo is bad on a large scale. Compared to the games I do like, Halo games are pretty bad. I'd say theyre better than CoD just because theyre more interesting and handle pretty good, but theyre still the same. TPS>FPS . It's all Fallout 3 and Sonic for me
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride
I'd say that most games are getting streamlinned. Halo, COD, whatever, the main stuff that sells. Its all just rehash. However there are games out there that may not be perfect, but certainly hit a note that isnt being focused on. Focusing on ideas and different gameplay aspects. LA Noire, Mafia II (yeah the games I always bring up deal with it). SR3 was good, as many in the union would protest. Its unique, and basically does what it want to rather than just rereleasing SR2 because it sold. Splinter Cell Conviction switched up the pace, and I like that. I am a huge SC fan, but its nice not to just see a rehash (though theyve been good with keeping it fresh anyway) . bob_toeback
oh yeah i agree with some games at least trying something new. It may not be a perfect hit on the first try, but i am glad some game publishers at least try
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bugbag

I have not played Halo. Maybe I should try it.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bob_toeback

oh yeah i agree with some games at least trying something new. It may not be a perfect hit on the first try, but i am glad some game publishers at least tryThe_Last_Ride

Yeah for sure. I mean, one thing I liked about Mafia II so much, other than the story being pretty cool, was that it wasnt just a oneway experience. there were all these gameplay elements that I had since forgotten about in it, that reminded me of older games. Stealth, driving, walking... doesn't seem like much, but it was all combined quite well.

I have not played Halo. Maybe I should try it.

bugbag

Yeah maybe you should, I mean its fun, I just really dont like them all that much. 

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stephenage

It's not a blatent lie. I mean, I'm sure Ive played some bad games. like "State of Emergency" which was ok,but still lame. But Halo is bad on a large scale. Compared to the games I do like, Halo games are pretty bad. I'd say theyre better than CoD just because theyre more interesting and handle pretty good, but theyre still the same. TPS>FPS . It's all Fallout 3 and Sonic for mebob_toeback

So what is wrong with Halo then?

You say they are all the same but have you played ODST? Also Reach had a different feel from the main trilogy. 2 was pretty darn different from 1 because of the two playable characters and meaningful gameplay changes. And then the rest is just better level design and encounters, which makes the game feel real different and real good.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bob_toeback
Theyre all just run/gun/shoot enemies/ drive your warthog. Halo 2, wasnt very fun imo, I didnt play it for too long because I was disappointed with it. Halo 3 brought on some welcome changes, and it feels pretty good. ODST was different for sure, but it was so boring and I cant say I even care about the story, so that doesn't matter. It was trying to be like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six or something, but Id rather play those games. Halo Reach feels like Halo 3, it has a few addtions that dont really matter to me (the back stab... as much as I like it when they add stuff like this to FPS games, it feels tacked on here. also the 'power ups' I never really used, Id use sprint or jet pack. doesnt really matter though, I just want to play. Once again, they felt tacked on.) Id rather play Halo 3. and as Ive said The Anniversary was really good, and they knew what they were doing there. The games just kind of feel gross to play, at least the later ones (ODST, Reach)
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]oh yeah i agree with some games at least trying something new. It may not be a perfect hit on the first try, but i am glad some game publishers at least trybob_toeback

Yeah for sure. I mean, one thing I liked about Mafia II so much, other than the story being pretty cool, was that it wasnt just a oneway experience. there were all these gameplay elements that I had since forgotten about in it, that reminded me of older games. Stealth, driving, walking... doesn't seem like much, but it was all combined quite well.

yeah there also some games i keep close to my heart, but aren't the most popular games
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bob_toeback
Exactly, I think there are a lot out there that get overlooked
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bugbag

drive your warthog.bob_toeback
Every time I hear that, I feel like laughing.

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 stephenage

Theyre all just run/gun/shoot enemies/ drive your warthog. Halo 2, wasnt very fun imo, I didnt play it for too long because I was disappointed with it. Halo 3 brought on some welcome changes, and it feels pretty good. ODST was different for sure, but it was so boring and I cant say I even care about the story, so that doesn't matter. It was trying to be like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six or something, but Id rather play those games. Halo Reach feels like Halo 3, it has a few addtions that dont really matter to me (the back stab... as much as I like it when they add stuff like this to FPS games, it feels tacked on here. also the 'power ups' I never really used, Id use sprint or jet pack. doesnt really matter though, I just want to play. Once again, they felt tacked on.) Id rather play Halo 3. and as Ive said The Anniversary was really good, and they knew what they were doing there. The games just kind of feel gross to play, at least the later ones (ODST, Reach) bob_toeback

Halo 3 is by far the best one. But run/shoot/drive doesn't mean its bad or the same, the core design may remain but things about it change. The feel of Reach and the level design give it a distinct feeling. Also you tout Mafia 2 so much, I've only played an hour or so of that game, but I have no want to go back to it because everything it was doing I had seen done better in other games :P.

I will go back to it for the story eventually, but it was at a time when I was playing a bunch of really good open world games, and one that was a bit lacking in the gameplay department wasn't doing it for me.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bob_toeback
Yeah, I think its just I like games that are a bit more creative or unique. For setting and atmosphere, as well as gameplay elements and story. Thats what I liked about the first Halo, it was so different from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. But it hasnt really upped its game imo. Also, don't get me wrong, I can understand someone absolutley hating Mafia II, its not the most well-made game. But I respect what its done
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride
To be honest i am not very fond of Halo to be honest
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 siddarthshetty
Yeah, I think its just I like games that are a bit more creative or unique. For setting and atmosphere, as well as gameplay elements and story. Thats what I liked about the first Halo, it was so different from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. But it hasnt really upped its game imo. Also, don't get me wrong, I can understand someone absolutley hating Mafia II, its not the most well-made game. But I respect what its donebob_toeback
I liked the 1st Mafia..2nd was good but I thought it could have been better..and ending, I liked the ending of Mafia 2.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bob_toeback
I have yet to finish the first. Im kind of thinking I should just start the whole thing over. Its one of those games that I can play, and beat pretty easily (the level Im on) then I get stuck on the next level, leave it for awhile, then beat it easily, rinse and repeat. Its really cool though, I remember liking the story, Im a bit out of touch with whats happening in it though. I have it for Xbox. I liekd Mafia II's ending too :D I have a cool case for both games. Ive got a black case with two disk spaces, then the front of the box has the 1st Mafias picture, and on the side it says "MAFIA" then on the back, I have the second games sleve turned inside out, so its Joe and Henry digging a grave. Looks really slick, got both maps in there too, and the second games manual
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 stephenage

Yeah, I think its just I like games that are a bit more creative or unique. For setting and atmosphere, as well as gameplay elements and story. Thats what I liked about the first Halo, it was so different from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. But it hasnt really upped its game imo. Also, don't get me wrong, I can understand someone absolutley hating Mafia II, its not the most well-made game. But I respect what its donebob_toeback

I don't hate it at all. I enjoyed my time with it, but there were too many other (better, or at least more compelling) games I had to play at the time. I still plan to play it again soon.

Yeah, I also love the first Halo for those reasons, I'm also a big fan of different games but I have a fondness for refining a formula as well.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bob_toeback

Ah well good to hear you don't hate it. I can still understand if someone does though :P If you finish it, make sure to tell me what you think.

Refining a formula is a good thing, I think Im really haloed out, I played quite a bit and just cant get excited for them anymore, especially since I didnt dig the latest entries. One of my biggest hatreds is when a sequel takes good elements out of a game, its always best to just add and add

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 stephenage
That's fair enough. I just liked how Reach was from a content perspective mostly, they jsut threw everything at it, it was a true loveletter to the fans.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bob_toeback
Yeah I suppose it was, and thats why I feel that if you do love Halo to a great degree, youll really like Reach, but Im kind of sick of it :P
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 stephenage
That's understandable. Still not a terrible game though :P.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bob_toeback
Meh, I think so but whateva :P
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 stephenage
I will let you have Reach if you let me have Fallout 3 :P.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bob_toeback
Deal :P
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points