garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Well, with Brutal Legends due out soon and many older titles which have had Mr Schafer work on them, I thought it was time for a discussion thread.

Examples of games he has been involved in:

Maniac Mansion Day of the tenticle

Psyconauts

Brutal Legend

My questions to you:

1). Played any Tim Schafer games? What did you like about them?

2). Will you be getting Brutal Legend?

Discuss Brtual Legend and other Schafer games here.

Ubiquitous_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ubiquitous_1
Member since 2009 • 170 Posts
I hated pychonauts(Overrated Garbage) and Brutal Legend looks brutaly bad... so no im not getting brutal legend :P
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#3 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts
Day of the Tentacles brings back fond childhood memories to me, I haven't really gotten into any of his other games since though.
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 SymonDezyn
Member since 2006 • 4927 Posts
i have never played any of those games but Brutal Legend looks brutal... in a bad way... and so i think i will pass, regardless of the fact that Jack Black is in it.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 garfield360uk
Do you mean the violence in the game or something else Symon? (I am not being negative there by the way, I am not a huge fan of over the top violence in some things like Saw I could not watch at all, it chills me thinking about a trailer I heard for it).
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SymonDezyn

no, i have no problem with violence in general... though i don't watch movies like Saw because i find violence for the sake of violence pointless... on the contrary, in anime for example, where it is over the top because of the style of art, and it is only PART of the story, i find it much more tolerable.

No, i just think Brutal Legend looks kinda dumb, for lack of a better explanation :lol: 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 garfield360uk

Fair enough. I appriciate your view as well, I dont mind fake violence (i.e. in games, films or whatever as long as people arent actually getting hurt) but sometimes like you say when it does it for the sake of it pointless and also distressing at times (like I say, the trailer I heard on the radio sent shivers down me, it made me feel sick).

But anyway, have you considered looking at Psyconauts as I believe its a game that many seem to call a cult title (as in it has a strong following of fans who enjoy it and rate it extreemly highly, sort of like those who enjoy a film that doesnt get smash hit but was not a poor film when reviewed or whatever)?

SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SymonDezyn
i had a peek at it online, the artwork looks really cute - i may have to keep an eye out for it :)
WolfBain666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 WolfBain666
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

Pysconauts = D- : Played it & didnt work for me after about 10 mins. Yer the Hype was all there & even the demo was good but short when they had it in PC Gamer Magazine. (Way Back).  Actually got the game some time after rememebering the demo & was not impressed.

In regards to the New Game: Brutal Legend - I will see if I can get my hands on it & give it a go. than place judgement. I know you say it can be TOO sick & the gaming maybebad.But I soppose the only way is to test the water. Which I will do. :)

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Benny_is_here
Member since 2004 • 10084 Posts
Played the demos for both Psychonauts and Brutal Legend. The thing with Tim Schafer games is that they are hilarious, unique and extremely charming... but completely unplayable to me. It's just so boring jumping around or throwing your axe around. I really have a thing against third-person games with the camera all zoomed out. Over the shoulder is fine, I love games like GRAW and Mass Effect, but when you can see the whole body and then some like in Fable II and Brutal Legend it makes it too gamey for me and I just start hating it just for that. Then again I love Ninja Gaiden, but in that game the combat is actually deep and not like in Brutal Legend and Fable II where it's a joke.
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SymonDezyn

You can say the combat in Fable 2 is a joke, but to be honest, once you get your skills leveled up it's a lot more than just button mashing. I could say the same thing about games i'm not fond of either, but it's all just a matter of opinion. You don't like third person... that's fair; I happen to like it - that's why there are different kinds of games. I have a gaming friend who thinks the combat in NG is a joke... that's his opinion. What I'm trying to say is just that making a blanket statement based on opinion could be offensive to someone who doesn't know you or your gaming style. 

Sorry for the OT... just felt like i needed to say something in defense of a game i happen to enjoy very much :) 

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Benny_is_here
Member since 2004 • 10084 Posts
Ah, well I respect that. See, I'm used to blanket statements being made all the time, and I read and present them as if everybody knows they are simply my opinion. I am well aware that people have different opinions. When I say something is a joke, I mean that it's a joke in my opinion.
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SymonDezyn

fair enough.... congrats on the 50,000 btw; that's NUTS ^___^

and on topic again, i read a twitter post from someone that they were choosing Brutal Legend over Demon's Souls... I would not, but i found that interesting nevertheless :)

Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Faller88
Member since 2006 • 7277 Posts
Played Secret of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango. Bought Brutal Legend, but it really wasnt worth it. It has great humour though, which makes me wonder if Tim Schafer might be better of directing Pixar movies.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts
Not impressed with what I've seen of Brutal Legend on TV or here so far.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 garfield360uk
The demo was pretty average, it sold me on not buying it. It looks more fun to watch than to play really.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pai-may
The demo was pretty average, it sold me on not buying it. It looks more fun to watch than to play really.Garfield360UK
I think it's the fact the avatar looks like Jack Black. He's very much a marmite person to many.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 garfield360uk
The story I liked, its the gameplay that put me off.
Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Faller88
I'm trading it in when The Saboteur comes out. I finished the game, and though I missed some sidequests like the half man half bat thing, I have no desire whatsoever to go back to it. A feeling I've practically never had, I've said this before, but it really is my biggest game dissapointment in the last decade, and I wasnt even hyped for it. I suggest watching the cutscenes on YouTube, its free and probably more enjoyable since you wont have to ""play"" the acctual game.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pai-may
I thought it was some crazy brat em up ntil I read the review and realised it's a strategy combat type game. Oh well, I'd still want to run my avatar into spikes, off cliffs, set him on fire etc and imagine Jack Black feeling the pain - now that's a game I'd buy.
Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Faller88
It does have RTS influences, but it tries to be a Jack Of All Trades, but satisfies no one particularly interested in these genres. Perhaps for someone thats never played a game before, its all easy and you get a nice overview in what direction you might wanna go with other games.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pai-may
Or just buy a better game, any game.
Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Faller88
More then enough of those. Definatly check out the cutscenes on YouTube. Worth it.