DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4406 Posts

Let's do a comparison of how well gaming has progressed in the last 10 years. I was playing skyroad, Fifa Road to world Cup 98, Stargunner, Raptor, Age of Empires 1, Virtua Cop 2, NFS 2 and Paranoid back then. All the games I mentioned were quite good in quality, and I enjoyed the early days of PC gaming a lot. I think I have beaten all those games. However, nowadays there are so many games that I hardly get to finish any.

Is it just me, or are there fewere great games coming out now?

NFS 2  VS  shift

Discuss

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Benny_is_here
Member since 2004 • 10084 Posts
Glad you didn't pick 1989, or I wouldn't be able to relate. I enjoyed gaming on the N64 with the Goldeneyes and the Zeldas and the whatnots... but I think hindsight is rosetinted when it comes to retro games, and while I can agree that games have lost things creatively (I sure miss being able to slidetackle the keeper or take a dive in FIFA 99), I do not miss the technologies of that time. I wish all of those games would magically be remade for the next generation, but as for getting a N64 and playing Zelda: OoT again I would definitely feel like it's aged. I'm a big fan of graphics and sound and all that, and playing Banjo Kazooie on the 360 without having played it on the N64 was a bit shocking visually. They certainly have their charm and are great trips down memory lane, but I dunno... I like 2009.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

I think it depends on genre, FPS titles have improved with games like Half Life 2 and that they work on a console where as in the past these sorts of games didnt really work on them.

I am with Benny, some titles would be really nice to see remade such as Final Fantasy series, Syphon Filter, Crash Bandicoot, and more.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#4 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts

1999 saw the introduction of Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, Tekken Tag Tournament, PS2 announcement, the first line of Nvidia Geforce graphic cards andGunpei Yokoi's final creation, the Wonderswan, finally saw release in Japanese stores.

It was a far better year in gaming, all in all. I don't think 2009 will bring any surprises that'll match the greatness that was gaming in 1999.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts

1999 saw the introduction of Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, Tekken Tag Tournament, PS2 announcement, the first line of Nvidia Geforce graphic cards andGunpei Yokoi's final creation, the Wonderswan, finally saw release in Japanese stores.

It was a far better year in gaming, all in all. I don't think 2009 will bring any surprises that'll match the greatness that was gaming in 1999.

loopy_101
Some game genres have improved, some have practically disappeared, such as the 2-d platformer, which exists only as "retro games" or downloadable games these days. No one wats to pay full price for a 2-d sonic now, when they can have a nicely rendered 3-d one.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 garfield360uk
But I would pay for a 2D one to be honest, I would not get a 3D one, I loved the old 2D stuff, 3D platforming is not my best forte. Games like Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, Tomb Raider etc dont work for me (that said I am enjoying Uncharted but there is less stringent need for exact precision on that to be fair).
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pai-may
But I would pay for a 2D one to be honest, I would not get a 3D one, I loved the old 2D stuff, 3D platforming is not my best forte. Games like Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, Tomb Raider etc dont work for me (that said I am enjoying Uncharted but there is less stringent need for exact precision on that to be fair).Garfield360UK
But you may be the odd one out. 2-d platforming as a genre is essentially dead.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#8 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts

loopy_101

I remember how amazing UT was after playing the demo... DM_Morphus really shown off what video games can really do at the time.

Now a days in 2009, I think of it more as more processing, HD graphics was 2006/7, 2009 is more information being handled and with EPIC talk of shooters being a RPG hybrid along with more players taking part... games are getting bigger interally and being more load to handle.

Imagine Unreal Tournament with 256 players? Well MAG on the PS3 handled it... also Killzone 2 showed off what a multi-mode multiplayer match can be in the simplist form.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 garfield360uk

[QUOTE="Garfield360UK"]But I would pay for a 2D one to be honest, I would not get a 3D one, I loved the old 2D stuff, 3D platforming is not my best forte. Games like Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, Tomb Raider etc dont work for me (that said I am enjoying Uncharted but there is less stringent need for exact precision on that to be fair).pai-may

Because nobody is making them, look at the XBLA game sales, they are quite high as are the 2D platformer games on DS, they can still sell a lot if they are targeted right. Just because a game sells poorley doesnt mean the market is dead, it could mean they marketed the game incorrectly or used the wrong IP (like Wario Land Wii, if that had been a Mario or Sonic game I would guess it would have sold a lot more).

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 loopy_101

[QUOTE="pai-may"][QUOTE="Garfield360UK"]But I would pay for a 2D one to be honest, I would not get a 3D one, I loved the old 2D stuff, 3D platforming is not my best forte. Games like Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, Tomb Raider etc dont work for me (that said I am enjoying Uncharted but there is less stringent need for exact precision on that to be fair).Garfield360UK

Because nobody is making them, look at the XBLA game sales, they are quite high as are the 2D platformer games on DS, they can still sell a lot if they are targeted right. Just because a game sells poorley doesnt mean the market is dead, it could mean they marketed the game incorrectly or used the wrong IP (like Wario Land Wii, if that had been a Mario or Sonic game I would guess it would have sold a lot more).

I forgot about Wario Land Wii... Yet another Wii game I want it seems :roll:

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pai-may

[QUOTE="pai-may"][QUOTE="Garfield360UK"]But I would pay for a 2D one to be honest, I would not get a 3D one, I loved the old 2D stuff, 3D platforming is not my best forte. Games like Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, Tomb Raider etc dont work for me (that said I am enjoying Uncharted but there is less stringent need for exact precision on that to be fair).Garfield360UK

Nobody makes them because few people would play them. They are no longer a viable genre and have not been since the days of Mario 64. The reason they are popular or at least by download sales popular, is because of people like you and loopy and I who actually like retro games and thus appreciate this sort of thing.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 garfield360uk

Possibly, I still think there is a market, LittleBigPlanet does have 2D platform elements and seems to be doing ok (yes its not selling lots but it seems to be a game that sells over time rather than in the top chart place for a couple of weeks then never seen again).

I dont know, I just would personally like to see more of them being done. Indie games like Braid show they can still be enjoyed.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pai-may
Sure they can still be enjoyed, but would people download or pay for them if they were still a regular platform. I doubt so. I think the reason Braid and LBP et al are successful is because they are different, because the 2-d platformer is dead except as a retro format ie when you see the likes of re issues of old games on DS for example.
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loopy_101
True 2D is dead, it has been replaced with 2.5D now.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DeadManRollin

I think many 2D platformers from the 1999 era will be back in some modified format. Instead of bringing out sequels, they can just remake the old games in 2.5D or even 3D. The Turtles in Time game is already being remade for Xbox360 (you can check my blog for a nice screenshot). They can do the same for Final Fight, Captain Commando, Hook, Vendetta and Double Dragon...oh I so loved playing these games in the arcades!

And Metal Slug is still quite popular. 

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loopy_101

I think many 2D platformers from the 1999 era will be back in some modified format. Instead of bringing out sequels, they can just remake the old games in 2.5D or even 3D. The Turtles in Time game is already being remade for Xbox360 (you can check my blog for a nice screenshot). They can do the same for Final Fight, Captain Commando, Hook, Vendetta and Double Dragon...oh I so loved playing these games in the arcades!

DeadManRollin

I don't like the look of the Turtles remake, sure it'll have 4 player co-op but that'll make the game too easy unless it'll be like the arcade version (unlikely).

Metal Slug 7 probably wouldn't be able to sell for £30 as a new PS3 or 360 game though :P

I hear the DS version alone is struggling to pick up sales.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pai-may
[QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]

loopy_101

I don't like the look of the Turtles remake, sure it'll have 4 player co-op but that'll make the game too easy unless it'll be like the arcade version (unlikely).

Metal Slug 7 probably wouldn't be able to sell for £30 as a new PS3 or 360 game though :P

I wouldn't pay 30 quid for MG slug. Imagine those people that owned Neo Geo forking out over a hundred quid for these games. Sure they are fun but not that fun. Some games don't need remakes. Turtles was never that great a beat em up in the first place, so why it needs a remake god only knows unless we are going to see a movie some time soon. I'd rather pay 400 points for Altered Beast as it should be than see it remade in 3-D. Not that I will buy it, hell, if I wanted to play these old games I'd still own a MD or Snes or i'd use MAME or some other emu to get the job done. I'd rather spend my cash on titles that are infinitely more playable and far cheaper such as ME and Gears and Bioshock etc.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 garfield360uk
Hmm good point, I had not considered this as I was thinking one retail game and one DLC per month on Playstation in the future. That said I think the PSN titles offer a bit more originality with games like Flower and Pixel Junk Eden.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DeadManRollin

An altered beast remake would be cool. I was just reading the review for the monkey island remake, and I think the game will sell quite a lot. I also posted an update for the game.

With the current economic situation, I think more games from the 90s era will be remade. I wonder when we will see River Raid 3D and a remake of Age of Empires 1

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 loopy_101
[QUOTE="loopy_101"][QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]

pai-may

I wouldn't pay 30 quid for MG slug. Imagine those people that owned Neo Geo forking out over a hundred quid for these games. Sure they are fun but not that fun. Some games don't need remakes. Turtles was never that great a beat em up in the first place, so why it needs a remake god only knows unless we are going to see a movie some time soon. I'd rather pay 400 points for Altered Beast as it should be than see it remade in 3-D. Not that I will buy it, hell, if I wanted to play these old games I'd still own a MD or Snes or i'd use MAME or some other emu to get the job done. I'd rather spend my cash on titles that are infinitely more playable and far cheaper such as ME and Gears and Bioshock etc.

I was just about to say, you'd be better off getting the Metal Slug Anthology for £10-£15 rather than Metal Slug 7.