Debate: Are There Too Many Upcoming Game Sequals?

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

User Lists: 0

#1 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts

According to Gamespot the current Gaming Top 10 on the horrizon are:

1. Final Fantasy XIII
  2. Tom Clancy's HAWX
  3. Madworld
  4. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
  5. Skate 2
  6. Killzone 2 
  7. The Godfather II
  8. The Sims 3 
  9. The Godfather II
  10. Tom Clancy's HAWX 

Over five of those games on the list are sequels. Is there something concerning about this?  What do you guys think?

Discuss!

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4406 Posts

Well, I don't think sequels are a bad thing; developers can implement the ideas they were forced to leave out in the first or previous games due to time contraint. Over the years, I played some really great sequels. However, bringing out sequels for a very good game is onviously a daunting task, i.e. it'll be very tough to make Sims 3 better than Sims 2.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Yeah, its a bit of interesting one.

On the positive side, there are some great games that get sequals which many play. This can be things like Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto 3, Super Mario Sunshine, etc.

However, there are also the less popular constant sequals such as the Madden/Fifa games which with online play available, seems little excuse to not just patch it every other season to allow more development time. Games also sometimes get over looked and so will never get a sequal, things like Tim Schafers games seem to suffer this even though they are top quality titles.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 loopy_101
I think sequels is becoming more of a worrying trend in gaming because the original games tend to be ignored when there are A list franchises moving around the place. Games like Little Big Planet, Mirror's Edge and De Blob didn't get the attention they deserved as we saw Fallout 3, Fifa 09 and Gears 2 top the charts.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 garfield360uk
Risk is something to do with that. With sequals its a known quantity more often so people will say "I will pay 40 pounds/ 60 bucks on this game I know I will like and see later if this new game is good if my friend gets it" or "I will get this now and wait for the single player only title to drop in price".
I1yodsyo1I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 I1yodsyo1I
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

More sequels=Less Risk

Economy is pretty bad, so to avoid losses, gaming companies have to take the safer route and release sequels of the games we all loved. Also, they sell much faster then original games because of their familiarity.

Sequels are good, but they should create original games as well. Sadly, expect to see less original games this year if the economy is still going to be in recession.

bobthesponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bobthesponge
Member since 2006 • 173 Posts

I'm waiting for :

DEMIGOD
POSTAL 3

DIABLO
and of course STARCRAFT 2 but i don't now if it will come in 2009 ....

Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts

Yes, there are.

Is it inevitable? Yes.

Can it be stopped? ...No. :P

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Benny_is_here
Member since 2004 • 10084 Posts
The game industry bases itself greatly on sequels. After all, these are huge projects, and with a sequel there comes an estimate of how the game will sell. I welcome it. I love getting to expand the experience I had in the earlier game. Sometimes it gets out of hand though, like the series that come out every year.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

Well honestly if the sequel were not good then they wouldn't sell.

But I don't like how most of the sequels over shadow great games.

foreversai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 foreversai
Member since 2004 • 1801 Posts
i just hope fifa, nba, nhl, and all those sports sequels can stop being a yearly thingy. Maybe they can make them update through the internet, by patching or something. And release a real improved game every 3 or 4 years.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 despa1r_fact0r

i just hope fifa, nba, nhl, and all those sports sequels can stop being a yearly thingy. Maybe they can make them update through the internet, by patching or something. And release a real improved game every 3 or 4 years.foreversai

EA and 2k would lose a lot of money by releasing these game every 3-4 years so that's not going to happen.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 garfield360uk
Possibly but then again the games drop in value very quickly, such as Fifa usually is half price around this time of year. I would prefer them to do updates as well and they could charge a nominal fee for it.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 despa1r_fact0r

Possibly but then again the games drop in value very quickly, such as Fifa usually is half price around this time of year. I would prefer them to do updates as well and they could charge a nominal fee for it.Garfield360UK

Yea and by selling software updates instead of actually disc games would cut down on the used game make which Take-Two (2k Games) has been pretty upset about.

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Benny_is_here
Member since 2004 • 10084 Posts
Now now, I don't really have anything against the annual sport titles. Just wait a couple of years before buying the next one!
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#17 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts

Risk is something to do with that. With sequals its a known quantity more often so people will say "I will pay 40 pounds/ 60 bucks on this game I know I will like and see later if this new game is good if my friend gets it" or "I will get this now and wait for the single player only title to drop in price".Garfield360UK

It the causal games on the market that really take the mick of sequals... to be honest it pushes the industry back alot

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 loopy_101

[QUOTE="Garfield360UK"]Risk is something to do with that. With sequals its a known quantity more often so people will say "I will pay 40 pounds/ 60 bucks on this game I know I will like and see later if this new game is good if my friend gets it" or "I will get this now and wait for the single player only title to drop in price".rikhan_z

It the causal games on the market that really take the mick of sequals... to be honest it pushes the industry back alot

Thank the success of The Sims for this disaster.