Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Chet_Jones
Member since 2004 • 1369 Posts
That's right, me and SL300 against the world... except when it comes to Fig Newtons.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 alx222000
Member since 2005 • 6180 Posts
So, subject of the debate is?
sithlord300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 sithlord300
Member since 2005 • 7743 Posts

That's right, me and SL300 against the world... except when it comes to Fig Newtons.Chet_Jones

yeah us against the world:D

So, subject of the debate is?alx222000

I got an idea.what about: Fig Netwons; cookies or not? :P

skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 skine99
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts
That's right, me and SL300 against the world... except when it comes to Fig Newtons.Chet_Jones
But I wanna be on your team! :P
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Chet_Jones
To think I've reintergrated myself back into the fold so quickly... *gets teary-eyed* okay then, enough of that. Let's start with something easy like: Whether there's a God or not and how much can He learn from Chet_Jones :P.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 skine99
To think I've reintergrated myself back into the fold so quickly... *gets teary-eyed* okay then, enough of that. Let's start with something easy like: Whether there's a God or not and how much can He learn from Chet_Jones :P.Chet_Jones
Ok. :lol:
sithlord300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 sithlord300

To think I've reintergrated myself back into the fold so quickly... *gets teary-eyed* okay then, enough of that. Let's start with something easy like: Whether there's a God or not and how much can He learn from Chet_Jones :P.Chet_Jones

I'm okay with that .:lol:

Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Chet_Jones
On second thought... my last suggestion was really more of an essay topic than a debate topic. Still... I command someone to write on it... NOW!!!
sithlord300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 sithlord300
okay....Its done.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 skine99

okay....Its done.sithlord300

I think it goes something like

There is a God who can learn everything from Chet_Jones. :P

sithlord300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 sithlord300
No,We once knew the all mighty chet_Jones and god could have learned somethin from this mistake :P
General_Hyrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 General_Hyrule
Member since 2006 • 4756 Posts

Um if you're gonna do that you have to have evidential substance to back that up so unless we seal Chet in a bag as evidence we aren't gonna be able to do much with it :lol:.

Ok for a debate (if you guys are gonna do that it's up to you really, I can't tell if Chet is using sarcasm but he's got a following :P) we have 3 choices already open: Death Penalty, Abortion, or Cloning. So if anyone wants to start a debate or two they have these or their own. Just state the topic and details of the debate (both sides) and anything else they want to add. Then people can join a side. If no one does it I guess I could but I just wanna see if anyone's interested first :P.

dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 dgwutka
Member since 2004 • 15331 Posts
i guess ill sign up for cloning.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 skine99
i guess ill sign up for cloning.dgwutka
I'd like to join the side against cloning
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Chet_Jones
Cloning sounds good... I'll sign up when I see more people take sides. As stated before I'll take the side with fewer people, just to balance the teams better. And no, I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm really that awesome :P.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 skine99

Ok then :P

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 alx222000
I might judge.
LordAbyssion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LordAbyssion
Member since 2005 • 11247 Posts
yeah, you ought to know that by now, skine...:lol:
dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 dgwutka
oops, forgot to pick a side. ill be against.
General_Hyrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 General_Hyrule
Member since 2006 • 4756 Posts

Ok (why do I feel like the structered, boring guy here :?) I'll join against.

So far the teams are...

For: no one

Against: skine, dgwutka, general

Entry still open...Chet you gonna join the 'for'? Good luck ifyou do:wink:

Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Chet_Jones

Looks like I'm for cloning, for now anyway, though I doubt this will change.

Edit:General, when you're not here; I'm the boring structured guy, the world needs people like us.

dgwutka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 dgwutka
*evil cackle*
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 skine99
*evil cackle*dgwutka
veni-vidi-vici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74 veni-vidi-vici
Member since 2007 • 1299 Posts
I can support therapeutic cloning but not outright complete cloning cos i have too many logical counterarguments my brain would crumble if i had to support it completely - but is shall try if we need numbers.
sithlord300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 sithlord300
I will join for cloning as well. So it looks like 3 Vs 3. This will get interesting :P
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 alx222000

Alright, looks like I'm judging.

As Vici pointed out, there are several different variants on this debate, so now you should decide which of those it is. And it's probably the 'for' side that should choose. I'll make up the thread when I have some more time.

LordAbyssion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LordAbyssion

Alright, looks like I'm judging.

alx222000

I'm in for that too.... just as a second opinion.

skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 skine99

I don't think a second opinion is necessary. And alx, you're completely unbiased right?

sithlord300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 sithlord300
Well couldnt one of the different varities of cloneing be the benifits why and why not they are good for our planet our amongst ourselfs?
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Chet_Jones

Well couldnt one of the different varities of cloneing be the benifits why and why not they are good for our planet our amongst ourselfs?sithlord300

Weighing pros and cons like that is really more of an essay topic than a debate position. At least I think that's what you're asking.

@ skine- if you're worried about alx being biased then perhaps a second opinion is not such a bad idea.

sithlord300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 sithlord300
Well just giving an idea,but now that you say it like that i guess it does sound like an essay assignment.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 alx222000

I don't think a second opinion is necessary. And alx, you're completely unbiased right?

skine99

Is there such a thing as completely unbiased?

Anyway, I agree with having a second judge to confer with.

skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 skine99
[QUOTE="skine99"]

alx222000

Is there such a thing as completely unbiased?

Anyway, I agree with having a second judge to confer with.

Well no... You're generally unbiased right? :P

alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 alx222000
I'm guessing so:P
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Chet_Jones
Trust me, you're not going to find anyone better to judge this thing.
skine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 skine99
Trust me, you're not going to find anyone better to judge this thing.Chet_Jones
I don't have to trust you, I can trust him... :P
veni-vidi-vici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 veni-vidi-vici

A thinking, educated, opinionated human being will already have an opinion, i'm under the impression Alx is a human being so being completely unbiased is impossible skine.

I'm curious though, how will the debaters confer amongst themselves, and how will the two judges confer without the debaters overhearing ...er..reading... their adjudication process?

Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Chet_Jones

Ms. Vici, here's a massive text wall from yours truly that should answer many of your questions. As for conversations between judges or team mates... that's what PMs are for.

I think structure is important. Real debates are heavily structured and having a little bit of that will make it easier on everyone in the long one. It'll keep all the arguments in one place and setting time limits will keep things from slowing to a crawl. Okay here's a rough idea of what I'm talking about.

I recommend that each team set up a private message board with which they can exchange ideas, present their arguments to one another, review each other's sources, etc... you know, do things that can only strengthen the overall argument before the actual debate.

Each team presents their opinions seperately. The pros with the pros and the cons with the cons. That way it will be easier to get a grasp of the overall argument that each team is making. This should be done in a timely matter. One group will present their side first followed by the perspective of the other. It'll be the judge's decision to decide what a "timely matter" means. But generally it means that it looks like everyone that's going to post has posted. When that happens the judge will post it in the thread and it should look like this:

[QUOTE="DaJudge"]

The Opening Statements of Team 1 have been made. Any further edits or statements will be disregarded. Team 2 may now present their argument.

Chet_Jones

It's up to the judge to decide when it's time to move on in the debate, but no arguing when they do, the judge's decisions are final and if you missed your point then you missed your point. Everyone has the same rights as everyone else, and too bad if your argument is weaker because you didn't post, should have been quicker to the draw. It is also a good idea for the judge to send PMs notifying people of when it's time to move on in the debate.

You start with your "Opening Statement"- here you'll establish your side of the argument and present the major points of said argument. For example, I saw death penalty being tossed around as an idea. Well let's say you got yourself a three man team. A smart way to approach it would be to divide up the work into separate perspectives; ex- for death penalty one may choose to look at the social, moral, or economic repercussions of the death penalty. You DO NOT start picking apart the other side's arguement, (even if your team goes second) your job is to establish your own. This brings us to...

"First Rebuttals"- this is where you pick apart the other sides argument. Your job here is to find inconsistencies among the arguments, contradictions within the arguments themselves, and to expose a lack of understanding of the subject among members of the opposing group. Be sure that you can support your argument, either through cited quotes or linking toweb pages that you feel are relevant. But don't abuse it. Ex. of abuse:

This right here says all I need to say.

Chet_Jones

Or

[QUOTE="Chet_Jones"]I like pieEvil_Chet_Jones

So???

In short, don't be lazy, use evidence to support your argument, but ultimately you're the one that has to make the point. Not everyone will reach the same conclusion you did when you looked at or read something. And please be sure that a web-page is both relevant and reputable before linking to it. Bear in mind that you're attacking the ARGUMENT of a person not the person themselves. This should go without saying but keep it in the thread and on topic, calling someone a n00b or saying they just got pwned isn't professional.

This brings us to the "Second Rebuttals"- Your job here is to defend your position, reestablish your argument/credibility, elaborate further on your message, and expose weaknesses in the other team's rebuttals. Handle it much the same way you handled the first rebuttals.

And thus we're brought to the "Closing Statements" section of our debate. Basically this is the last opportunity one has to squeeze out any hidden knowledge and to exploit any further weaknesses of the other team.

Then comes the judge's decision and verdict.

And congrats you just had a debate, cyber high-five.

veni-vidi-vici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 veni-vidi-vici
Sheesh, Chet.
LordAbyssion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LordAbyssion
:lol: that's our Chet for ya.
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Chet_Jones
Should've been here in the early days, text walls as far as the eye could see. I'm getting better though; I'm down to only one massive text wall a week. Thank you.
alx222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 alx222000
So, have we decided the specific cloning subject that you're going to be debating? Or is it just going to be general?
Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Chet_Jones
I suppose cloning in the general sense would be a good place to start. More room for research and different points of view.
veni-vidi-vici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 veni-vidi-vici

Maybe the judges should make a debatable topic statement as they do in competitions, like "That cloning is a necessary endeavor for the future of mankind" HAHA. just playing. but you know what i mean right? a controversial statement of interest to the judges which they are pretty open to be convinced about either way, and teams with affirmative and negative posturing to that statement so there's an ambiguity as to which slant the opposing team will take to win it, i.e. what specifics they will bring up to support themselves.

Also could we maybe agree on a time for this debate cos of timezones especially considering people must keep up with the posting. I seem to find myself asleep when many of you are online unless you are up at some unspeakable hour :lol:.

Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Chet_Jones
We are a spread out bunch aren't we? From where I'm at there's at least a seventeen hour difference between me and you Aussies. Not to mention we got Lorda in Finland, and that's about an eight hour difference from either the US or Austrailia, roughly of course. Then again, I'm not big on the whole sleep thing, it's about 3:15 AM for me at the time of this post.
veni-vidi-vici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 veni-vidi-vici

man, don't screw up your health like that. do you show up half-dead and hung over to work or something?:lol: i dunno, i can imagine you doing that somehow. heehee.

and the US is ...15 hours behind sydney. Australia's also it's own continent so it's got 3 timezones across itself alone. If alx lives in perth he and i would still be hours apart even though we're both Aussies. whereabouts are you alx?

Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Chet_Jones

We actually have five time zones in the US, now if you're going Pacific time then yes, Sydney would be a mere fifteen hours. However, I'm central time zone, so you got to add two hours to that total, that's seventeen, and note I said at LEAST seventeen hours difference, I took into account that there are multiple time zones in Austrailia as well. Mwa ha ha, I'm a bit anal aren't I. Also, I'm the kind of guy that only needs about five or six hours sleep and I'm set. I don't have to be at work till two pm, that and I'm not in school during the summer so I can get away with being up at ungodly hours, for now anyway. Of course if I stay up much past three am, then my brain will kick into all-night mode and that's when the next day gets interesting.

veni-vidi-vici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 veni-vidi-vici

Man, you are crazy anal. underline, italics and bold. way to bite my head off you crazy lad.

*cowers* take it easy on me please, you're freaking me out...

Chet_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Chet_Jones
Sorry 'bout that, my instincts as an arse must have kicked in, don't mind me. I'm somewhat vain of all the random knowledge I've accrued in my lifetime. Just showing off, it's a very rare day when I feel the urge to actually make someone feel bad. This goes out to everyone else as well. I'll make it a point to lighten up a bit in the future.